Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I recently beat Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast.

Jedi Knight had way better level design, gunplay and in a way felt a bit more Star Warsy even though the graphics are pretty naff these days.

Jedi Outcast had better lightsaber combat and force powers. But I was really surprised how much the gunplay, characters and level design kinda sucked. There was a lot of: "Ha ha gently caress you" throughout the whole game in terms of enemy placement, puzzle solutions and general bullshittery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember when Mass Effect came out, I bounced off it because it wasn't as good as Star Control 2.

So I recently gave ME another shot. I bounced off it again.

...and went and beat Star Control 2. Stupid good game that one is.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

Well, pop my pupae! Good job on beating a good game.

I admit, I did it with a guide. I don't have the patience (nor the free time) to explore THAT many stars for each specific Macguffin needed to beat that game.

However, it's still an engrossing, fun experience with awesome and hilarious dialogue and really cool backstory and lore.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Professor Beetus posted:

I've heard people express a similar sentiment before but like, aren't they entirely different genres of game?

Kinda yes, but kinda no.

Star Control doesn't have any shooter elements.

But do you spend a lot of time flying to different planets, collecting resources, talking to aliens and saving the galaxy from an ancient evil? Yes.

There's a lot of Star Control in Mass Effect.

To be honest, if I was going to do a totally cynical modern reboot of Star Control in a way which didn't really respect the original and expected absolutely nothing of my audience? I'd have the gameplay of Mass Effect.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just beat Far Cry 5. As far as I'm aware, it was a 100% playthrough.

To me, it's still the best Far Cry. I really like the setting, to the point where I want to free that gorgeous place from the cult. I also like the cult aspect (especially the nods to actual cults, like John Seed not being David Koresh) and it feels like the right level of complexity. Everything can be modified, which can make things more fun, but you're not forced to carry particular weapons or things.

I feel like the RNG can sometimes make things way more chaotic than the game ever intended, but those bursts of chaos can be pretty hilarious sometimes too so...it's not all bad.

Overall, love the setting, love the enemies, love the complexity, it's probably one of my favourite games of all time.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sunday was bullshit hot weather in Melbourne, so I decided I'd play Leisure Suit Larry 1.

First of all: Who the gently caress beat this game without a walkthrough? There's almost no hints or suggestions as to what you're supposed to be doing. Most of the puzzles don't have any connection to each other which means that often when you do a thing to get a thing, even once achieving the thing, there's no real indication why you just did the thing.

Secondly: It's as tasteful as licking an ice-cream covered in tomato sauce. But it knew that and it leant into it and was gleefully horrible. It was kinda fun to play something that knew it was trash, didn't pretend it wasn't trash and in fact, seemed to take joy in being trash.

Finally: A touch problematic these days. A little bit.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

nobody

the main purpose of Sierra games was to funnel people towards the Sierra Hint Line at ninety-five cents per minute

Well yeah but as a fan of Police Quest, Hero's Quest and Space Quest, LSL seems to be the worst by a fairly heavy margin. Those games generally gave you a hint as to what your goal was, so you knew what you were aiming at.

LSL just says: "You're trying to get laid lol. Here's a bar, good luck."

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So when the Master Chief collection went on sale about a month ago, I grabbed it because I'm a PC gamer nerd who never played Halo 'cos it was an Xbox Game.

Ultimately, I was pretty disappointed in how mid Halo was. I only got halfway through Halo: CE and...look it didn't do anything bad but it didn't do anything right either.

I bitched about it and was told "It was great for it's time!" so I looked up PC games that were released around that time.

No One Lives Forever came out 1 year before Halo and that's long been one of my favourite games. I realised I hadn't played it in years.

So I installed No Ones Lives Forever and spent 2-ish weeks playing that game. Seriously, it's gotta be one of the top 10 FPS games of all time. It feels like you're playing a spy movie. Good characters, great art style, half-decent plot, some really creative and impressive levels (falling out of a plane? Going into space? Scuba Diving, Gondala Riding chaos? gently caress yeaaah!) and some surprisingly great voice acting. It doesn't sound like they just grabbed random devs on staff and said: "Here, say this line"

It's not perfect. There's a lot of redundancy with the weapons that could've been streamlined so you didn't have to scroll through your inventory so often. The enemies are inconsistent in terms of their stealth and their accuracy. Sometimes they'll be blind as a bat, other times they'll have super-human hearing and eyesight. Sometimes they'll have laser accuracy and precision, sometimes they'll never hit the broad side of the barn. So it ends up being a bit quicksave\quickloady. However, their AI in terms of how they flank you and react to your fire is surprisingly decent, especially for a game released in 2000. Not to mention the humour, listening in to the guards talk about dumb poo poo, the flavour text in the intelligence items etc.The levels are generally well designed, but there are a couple of "filler" levels which take 5-10 minutes and were just kinda transitioning from one big level to the next big level. There were a few times I said: "What did we achieve in that level?"

But yeah, aside from some minor jank (which doesn't even consistently happen), I had a blast the entire goddamn time and my grumpy old rear end shakes my fist at the sky asking why they don't make games as good as NOLF anymore.

But I also firmly believe that Halo is ridiculously overrated and there were significantly better games available at the time.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Either way, I can totally understand being underwhelmned by Halo CE playing it for the first time in 2024. Hell, I remember plenty of people being underwhelmed with it in 2001 for largely the same reasons.

This is what I thought was going on. That I was too far removed from when it came out to be able to appreciate it for it's time.

But NOLF came out earlier and it shits all over Halo. I acknowledge that NOLF would probably be awful for multiplayer, but UT came out even before NOLF and UT is still awesome.

IMHO, the thing that Halo brings to the table is accessibility. Bros didn't have to be "fukkin nerds" to play FPS games anymore because anybody could play Halo.

But I don't know if that's "Halo" as much as it is "Being on Xbox." AKA: Is it the game that was awesome, or was it the marketing that was awesome?

For emphasis: Halo is a perfectly solid game. I do not think it is a bad game. It is an FPS and it's aggressively 7/10 fine. I just think it's the most generic, uninteresting FPS to ever develop a rabid fanbase.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

And goddamn I really wanna play NOLF as well. Dunno how you got lucky enough to find it, and I wish there was a remaster of it but from what I understand it is stuck in hell and can't get out.

http://nolfrevival.tk/

Enjoy!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

NOLF was solid multiplayer. Just the perfect execution of the game, with costumes. It does fun stuff like when you die near a rail your character will dramatically fall over it.

Oh sweet! It doesn't shock me that they put that much detail in, but I just assumed the level design would make for poo poo arenas.

Basically, I went into the Master Chief collection expecting to find that all the angry 14 year olds PC Gamers screaming: "HALO SUCKS" were just being uber-competitive, gatekeeping nerdy assholes. Turns out that they actually may have had SOMEWHAT of a point.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah the main reason why it "cant" be remastered is because apparently nobody can figure out who actually owns the rights for it.

So before legal action could be taken against you, they would first need to figure out who is going to take legal action.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shard posted:

Just beat Baldur's gate. First stop in my bg thru bg 3 run. Love this old as game. I know in my head it isn't perfect but in my heart its a 10 out of 10. Out of all the games I've ever loved its def the oldest that I've replayed to completion the most.

Now onto siege of dragon whatever. Don't care as much about that one but its more Baldur's gate so I'll have fun

BG1 and BG2 are still probably my favourite games of all time.

BG3 disappointed me. It's an excellent Divinity game, but not a great BG game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Punished Ape posted:

I agree that it feels a bit different, but I chalk it up to being a jump from 2e to 5e.

It's the fact that it's turn-based that kills it for me.

I LIKE turn based, but it's why it feels like Divinity, not BG.

Turn based meant that you didn't dungeon crawl fighting progressively harder trash mobs until the BBEG. It meant that exploring was kinda...harmless because due to balancing, they had to telegraph every fight so that you didn't stumble into something unprepared. It also meant that every fight had to be a 30 minute time sink to make stopping the game worthwhile.

The switch to turn based completely changed the design of the exploration and combat encounters. It's not fair to say that its BAD or that it doesn't work, but it doesn't feel like BG.