Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

nobody

the main purpose of Sierra games was to funnel people towards the Sierra Hint Line at ninety-five cents per minute

Or buy the hint books, yeah. Sierra got better about it, eventually, but “something you had no reason to think about doing six hours ago just softlocked you” was pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yes, gear set bonuses and modifiers come into play heavily on the extra difficulties, which you need to start working on to do the DLCs. Autoequip works just fine for the main game clear, which in fairness is basically how Team Ninja does that style of game.

They’re very cool DLCs.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Ender Lillies this evening. Lovely little Metroidvania - plays well, it’s gorgeous, the music is fantastic. Absolutely worth a look if you are fine with the Obviously Souls Inspired with Difficult Combat branch of the genre.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

I beat Blasphemous 2. I'm one trophy away from the plat but I'll do it later.

Despite this game being better than many ways than the first, I think I still like the first more. I think part of it is, blasphemous 2 is more of the same, for good and the bad that implies.

They did make the game a smidgen easier, it goes a lot easier on you and the beginning pacing is better. (spikes and falls no longer instant kill you)

But the first was still unique, especially for it's time so that's why I think I have to give it props more. For what it's worth, blasphemous 1 made my 2023 goty top ten in the thread but I think blasphemous 2 will miss being top ten.

Honestly I feel the same way and talked about it in the Metroidvania thread; there’s a lot to like gameplaywise but I feel there’s some pretty dramatic design missteps that you start to feel in the later game. I would absolutely do another NG+ run of the first game over the second at this time.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Raging Loop last night; the base game and some post-game extra sidestories they added in. There's an additional mode toggle where you get additional dialogues/information in some scenes (it shows what characters are thinking, which you wouldn't normally be able to see and/or would be incredibly spoilery on a first run); I'll probably pick and choose a few points to see those but don't expect I'll run through them all since that'd basically amount to most of a full replay.

It's a pretty interesting visual novel. The general conceit is that the main character gets lost in the mountains and stumbles into a village that is on the verge of repeating a periodic supernatural tradition, the Feast of the Yomi-Purge. Effectively, several of the villagers become replaced by werewolves and start murdering people each night, and the humans have to figure out who the wolves are and lynch them before everyone dies. It's a Werewolf/Mafia (or Among Us, I suppose) scenario, complicated by the fact that the main character realizes after dying horribly that he's also stuck in a time loop. From there, it's fairly standard visual novel flowcharting, moving through the story, dying and unlocking new route keys from making incorrect (or correct choices), and so forth. It's kind of reminiscent of Virtue's Last Reward, albeit much more linear; it's as much about the social dynamics and political maneuvering as the murders themselves. The game does get very exposition dumpy in the last act, and it doesn't quite stick the landing, but it still works well, with some characters who are much more in-depth than you'd think from their tropes and a main character who's far smarter than he seems at first.

Worth a look if you like VNs and horror games.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Halo was completely massive and a phenomenon because it was a capable and solid set of FPS titles with great multiplayer options available on an inexpensive console that anyone could pick up and play with their buddies in their dorm rooms or whatever. You didn’t need to deal with lan parties or the nonsense that was the early PC graphics card market or anything like that.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the Steam Deck being really good at this, I've continued my visual novel streak by starting over and completing Danganronpa 2 (had tapped out around chapter 4 during a previous attempt, got distracted I imagine) and then running through Danganronpa V3, the latter of which I completed last night. I know the series has a bit of a history here on the SA forums, and to some extent might be a bit played out, but both are excellent titles if you can get onboard with their particular mix of exaggerated anime character tropes and crazy murder setups. 2 has probably the best character in the trilogy, but V3 easily became my favorite due to several factors; a generally solid cast, some twists that lean on the fact that if you're playing the third game in a trilogy you almost assuredly have done the earlier games, and some excellent trial minigames that not only were fun to play and visually interesting, but solved a lot of the problems the earlier games tended to have with characters being weirdly passive in a life-or-death scenario. Great soundtrack too, particularly "Scrum Debate".

Very good stuff.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Really liked V3 but was really annoyed by (end of first trial spoiler) the fact that you end up playing as the wimpy Shuichi rather than the far-more-interesting Kaede. The twist of the first trial being that you were the murderer was a cool one, for sure, but I would've rather you start out as the typical boring DR protag, some generic dude, before he's executed and you play as her instead

I agree, and the only thing I can really come up with as a rationalization for why they did it was they wanted to lean on the Shuichi/Kaito bros dynamic. It didn't ruin things for me and I appreciated the trial 1 reveal, but it was a missed opportunity in a lot of ways.

In other "finishing things" news, I realized I hadn't wrapped it up yet and the game was using almost 100 GB on my PS5, so I sat down and finished the Forspoken DLC, which I'd started over the summer. Now, I might be hot taking this one a bit, but I liked Forspoken quite a bit, and I'm sad that it got universally shat on for reasons. It's a solid B+ title that has a lot of upfront pacing and tone issues but has some of the most satisfying exploration and open world combat I've touched in a good long while, so it ended up being in my favorites of last year. The DLC is...fine. It's short, there's some neat gimmicks tied to the plot setup (it's effectively a prequel story), and it ends with an incredibly blatant "Here's the sequel story hook" reveal that won't amount to anything since the game bombed, but I didn't regret the few hours I put into it either; more Forspoken is fine by me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Last night I finished Gnosia, a very cool little title. Gnosia is effectively a Very Weird Sci-Fi take on a Werewolf/Mafia simulator, where you play through a number of loops of the game with a variety of NPC crew members present; the gameplay revolves around debate sessions where the crew decides who is a probable Gnosia (the werewolf analogue) and tries to stop them by voting them into cold sleep. As you go through these loops and various permutations of role assignments for the crew, you see a number of events; some give you background on the crew, some teach you skills you can use during the debates, and some flesh out the broader mystery of why you and another crew member are time looping and how to stop it. There's also the complication of a special non-human/Gnosia role known as the Bug, effectively a walking paradox; if the Bug makes it to the end of the round without being put into cold sleep or scanned by an Engineer, they win by, uh, destroying the entire universe.

It's a fun game. The actual debates can get a bit repetitive in terms of dialogue since there's a relatively limited pool of statements each character has, but the devs did a really great job at actually designing the characters and giving them specific strengths/weaknesses and personalities that you have to learn to work with - and around. One character is incredibly adept at spotting lies but is effectively doomed the moment they have to try to tell one. Another character has high overall stats but is basically insane so he doesn't use any of them well. Another character has good logical and analytical capabilities but is so abrasive that they'll often get voted out purely because nobody wants to deal with them. Another plays almost entirely on emotion and if you get on her bad side, regardless of whether or not you're on the same team, look out. Learning the character styles fleshes out the debates, because you have to decide how best to handle each round - who's a threat, who's a potential ally and who's just acting weird. If someone everyone tends to hate suddenly has a bunch of supporters this round, they may well all be Gnosia. This ties into the fact that you get to choose your own stats and build and decide the approach you want to take; I went extremely high in intuition (spotting lies), performance (telling lies) and logic, but was generally weak in terms of keeping below the radar and lost a bunch of sessions because I made too many folks angry even when I was right about something.

Definitely worth a look if you're curious how a well handled single player social deduction game would play out, or if you just like weird sci-fi settings. It plays well and each loop is pretty speedy, and the game has a nice feature where you can have it set specific round parameters that can potentially trigger new events for you to help you progress. It is, however, very much not a visual novel at its core and just uses some of the trappings; Raging Loop is the flipside where the focus is the VN and the Werewolf games are more set dressing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

I found the real draw of Gnosia was its narrative. Certain scenes will occur when particular conditions are met (for example, you're a particular special role and another character survives until the end), which trigger scenes and expand the story as a whole, making for some very exciting twists and turns. Kept me glued to it even when the werewolf gameplay was getting a little stale.

I completely agree. The narrative is very interesting and the fact that a lot of it is situationally revealed encourages you to take different approaches as you go, or potentially try to force events by setting up certain round conditions and potentially sacrificing a win to keep a certain character or characters around longer. Mixes it up nicely.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ZCKaiser posted:

Did you get the epilogue? If not, create a new file with the same name (and possibly gender) as your original.

Sure did, yeah. Clever way to handle it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

It's really interesting how I keep hearing that dragon's dogma 2 keeps making the same highs and lows, the same mistakes, design decisions.

It really is essentially the first game remade huh?

For my contribution, I finished Rise of the Ronin.

Really enjoyable but much better if you love team ninja games.

Glad to hear RotR turned out well, I’ve definitely got that on my to-do list.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the only way Nioh surpasses Nioh 2 is in having a character with a defined personality and dialogue, because William is delightful. Both games are great though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Just beat Forespoken, working my way through postgame stuff now.

Honestly, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The pseudo post-apocalyptic world, the mobile combat system, the story of the game and what happens near the end, I liked a bunch of it. Some stuff wasn't fantastic, and I think there's just too much stuff to do in the open world, but I still enjoyed parkouring around the place. It's a shame that they are almost certainly never going to make a sequel, because they drop a sequel hook after the credits that I'd be interested in.

I think the game got a whole lot of hate when it was announced due to some real bad dialogue that was showcased, which is unfortunate, cause it's mostly at the beginning of the game and gets, well, less bad after the first couple chapters.

Honestly, my biggest complaint about the story comes after the end of the game: Frey should've gone back to New York to get Homer :colbert:. That honestly made me sad because you could tell the little kitty missed her :(.

I agree with you. It's a great game that starts very slowly and the protagonist doesn't come off well at first, which really made it an easy target for mockery, but it gets stronger as it goes.

The DLC, if you didn't play it, isn't amazing, but it's got a few neat bits to it and really sets up that sequel hook we'll never get. Spoiler if you're not inclined to buy and play a standalone 3 hour DLC episode: Frey is contacted by one of the Tantas of Rheddig - despite their murderous invasion loving up everything, they also had mystical wise women, apparently, and it's probable that they really didn't support the whole magical apocalypse thing since she sent Frey's consciousness back in time to see the origin of the Break and asks her to come to Rheddig to meet up.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you liked Golden Idol absolutely get both DLCs and play them in their release order.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

I just beat Hades, I suppose? I played it back when it hit 1.0 and absolutely loved it, got successful runs a number of times but eventually moved on to other games.

How many total victories do you have? There may actually be quite a bit more game ahead of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

10-ish. Enough to trigger Persephone’s return to the Halls and the end credits which is a “clear” as far I’m concerned

I know there’s more post-credits stuff but I’ll probably just look it up on YouTube, too much other, newer stuff to play to want to grind out Olympian relationships.

Entirely fair, just wanted to note that it's one of those games where there's a whole lot more than it might initially seem, since the Heat system means you get to continually keep ramping up the runs as you work on the rest of the content.