Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I beat Legend of Legaia some time ago.

LOL was a sore itch that needed scratched, but I had the Conkram freeze bug to deal with, which is like five hours from the end. I had to switch memory cards with another emulator to get past it. The game runs like it was the Happy Happyist army room in Earthbound. Duckstation had a fix for that and the gameplay was super smooth as a result, with some crashes of no importance.
The battle system is supposed to be your guys accumulating points to form complicated combos you can merge together. It was so much faster to use your possessed arm and spam magic to quickly end battles. It also helps that an early game item didn't work as intended and made it so I kept getting first attack and was ambushed only twice in the game.

The game was awfully hard early on until you got more people and magic. The difficulty almost disappeared after all the magic spam. It felt great chumping on the bosses that were such a problem when the game came out. What wasn't great was the tons of hidden stuff in the most unlikely places you wouldn't ever look, just to sell the guide to people. A Point Card you find in a locked drawer that unlocks itself after you leave your home town, that utilizes the power of Capitalism and deals up to 9999 damage per use if you keep buying stuff. It is that broken and I didn't use it at all. Another item called a Platinum Card you find in the king's chamber in a wall, that makes certain merchants sell more goods. Both of them within two hours of starting the game.

Something else I found out was that there was a guarded chamber in a castle you freed that had the strongest magic in the game. It costs 255MP and it was only available when everyone is level 99. I noticed that the collision detection was weird and if you pixel hunted, you could walk through static NPCs. I opened the doors after a bit and walked in. The item lowered the encounter rate a bit as well. It's a very long path and it showed there were two Juggernauts in the game.

There were arena battles where you fought a series of monsters with full strength bosses mixed in. All fights was with one person with limited equipment and no items. Some were progress gated until you beat the bosses or the battle ends suddenly. The last one was bugged to not give you the item it explicitly gave you, so you had to beat like 15 more hours of content in order to fight a dozen bosses to get the special item. It also gave you a strong item for running from each battle. Chicken King.

Also fought the optional super boss who turned off your magic and had cheated stats. It only appeared on this spot and only after revisiting the place. The recommended strategy was using the point card and having double the level and I stole way too many stat items to 1v1 the boss after a couple resets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know if I should continue playing Super Mario RPG SNES now that I beat Culex with a level 20 party. I haven't met Valentina or got the Super Suit. Sticking to magic boosts really made that run.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

caleb posted:

I just beat Resident Evil 7. Marguerite fight in the greenhouse was definitely the highlight for me, but it was all pretty great except for maybe the puzzle aspect which was kind of weak. I did a piss poor job of getting all of the collectables but I'm just going to move on to 8 and revisit it later to see the other endings. Why would you give the antidote to Zoe? Although I guess I might reevaluate my relationship if my partner stabbed me a few times.
Each of the DLC is worth a try. Best Resident Evil.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Humble Fighting Games Bundle has a ton of games for $20. Excluding the Street Fighters, you have over 50 Capcom games. Most of them are short and each should take about an hour to finish.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

victrix posted:

Death Stranding also answers the question of "what if Kojima got to make what he wants with no one to tell him no"

(it rules)
Still wondering how it ended up with a Director's Cut. Was the original someone else's cut?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This was a bit ago when I finished Grandia XTREME.

Your job is to enter four themed dungeons, fight the boss to gather their macguffins, and open up more dungeons to stop the thing that is destroying the world. There is a world you don't get to explore and you only have two towns to visit. You get some bit of lore by talking to everyone after doing a dungeon and advancing the plot until the last Act. The last Act has like half the dialog in the game and there is an exhausting amount of talking and dinner conversations with your party.

Certainly a different way of designing a Grandia game and the best use of the battle system. This game is all about constant combat and dungeon diving for stronger items. The encounters are harder than in any other game and you will need to use Cancels against stronger enemies and bosses. You are rewarded for finishing battles quickly or perfectly, so having overwhelming power in easy dungeons provide more benefits to growth.

This is more of a roguelite with static dungeons that play out almost exactly the same way each time they update. You have one place to save in the whole game and occasionally save during plot happenings. There are four Acts in the game which determine how strong the enemies are and the value of items in each dungeon. Beating the Act boss also resets your mid-points, so you have to challenge the dungeons again and can get new stuff that appears after you beat the improved boss. There are dungeons inside dungeons and they are hours long if you take your time.

There is an undub patch and I recommend it, because the dub can be really bad. It doesn't have that feeling of being a Grandia game beyond the IP system, but it allows a lot of customizing your characters. You can break the game early by abusing the teleport in the water dungeon and opening the nearby clam shell for Mana eggs and books and teleporting.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finished Super Mario RPG a while ago and it still holds up. I built my party with only magic level ups since you can block physical attacks. Also abused Jumps so clearing battles was a breeze with all the syrups. The early part was oddly difficult with enemies hitting for half your health at times, so someone was at risk of dying in one round. Buying stuff was cheap and I didn't know pickmeups were full heals and you can still use your turn. I ended up using only revives to heal midway. There were lots of hidden stuff and references to other games, some of them not mentioned in guides.
The worst design in the game is having to jump on moving blocks or judging the depth of objects. You are not really that precise and a sort of auto-aim for jumps would have fixed it. The jumps can't just be a running jump or regular jump with those rotating blocks.

Found a way to beat Culex before you fight Dodo, with saving five Red Essence's (three over the game and 2 from Nimbus Land Toad dreams) and getting enough Rock Candy from Mushroom Kid cannibalism to defeat the crystals. The Fat Yoshi might give you reds, but I didn't get any after 300 cookies and scumming saves. You certainly can fight Culex the instant he is available in that case. No need for super armor and new game minus friendly.

I hate how searching for the SNES version information is impossible now that the remake is out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just 100% Doronko Wanko. A free game that exists to help with rookie game designers, I think. There are three such games. You are a dog who paints your house with whatever you roll over and cause millions of damage while doing so. The gameplay is picking up stuff and shaking paint at things until you get gifts that advance the game. A guide will help since it wants you to be at a specific spot to get a badge or finding one object that there are multiple of. It takes much longer finding everything or you can finish it in several minutes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Finished Half-Life for the first time (I'd poked away at it around release but never had a chance to really dive into it). Not sure how controversial of an opinion this is but it has not aged very well at all. I can appreciate how big of a step forward it was in terms of narrative design and ~immersion~, but it's just... not fun to play. The main culprit is the combat - the guns have no oomph, the enemies don't react to getting shot at all and take about 50% more bullets than they should, which makes encounters feel deeply unsatisfying and often outright frustrating. The level design is generally interesting (even if it leans a little too hard into platforming at times) and there are some well-done set pieces but even then there are enough little issues to keep it from standing on its own without a "for the time" modifier. The gameplay fundamentals are markedly worse than pretty much all the games it was building on, and most of the innovations feel like a rough draft for what would come later. It's kind of funny to think of Valve fumbling the basics when everything from HL2-on has nailed them to a Nintendo-level degree, but the gameplay in HL1 feels like it takes a distant backseat to the world design and it really holds the game back from reaching the "timeless" status of some of its predecessors and successors. Again, I can absolutely understand why it's an important game, but divorced of its context I'm not sure I can call it a great game.

Contrast with HL2, which I dove into immediately after and which still feels world-class in pretty much every aspect. The narrative and level design build on everything HL1 was doing but improve it tenfold, and the gameplay is honed to perfection and bursting with creative energy. You can barely go an hour without running into some new clever gameplay concept that is fun and refined enough to be the basis for an entire game.
I ended up saving every few minutes because the map transitions have this issue with touching curves and loading you into the wall. Half-Life 2 did that a few times. I lost count the number of times I had to load earlier saves. It was made in an era of having a narrow path to follow where something is going to kill you and you have to guess where to go. Some stages felt like trial-and-error. Nihilanth was a crapshoot since he kept dropping me into the ground instead of the water. Took over an hour of reloading that one fight.

What HL is great for are the mods and Sven-Coop with 20 people bumrushing every map.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They called the fourth Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Instead of incrementing titles for sequels, they use a second number to designate as the real sequel.