Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm looking into volunteering for a crisis line or the Trevor Project. I've done some volunteer/fundraiser stuff for the AFSP, but I'd like to get more involved and do some hands-on stuff directly with people at risk.

Have you volunteered at a crisis line or the Trevor Project before? What was your experience like? Did you do phone or text stuff? Did you feel like the volunteer work you did helped people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I did the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) for a summer in college. It was a very meaningful, fulfilling, and difficult experience.

The NSPL relies heavily on volunteers already being fundamentally OK people with decent empathy skills. We got about 40 hours of training before going live on the line. It was a crash course in active listening skills, which seem simple, but require discipline. In turn, active listening is an extremely powerful tool. I'd rank this kick-start in active listening as one of the most important skills I use in my life, both personal and professional.

You'll hear some heavy stuff. Most callers are going to dial that number at the lowest point in their lives. If you've got heart enough to be there to begin with, you're going to be moved. Being healthy and stable already is important. That doesn't mean you can't have problems - plenty of the full time workers and volunteers I was with had their own battles with mental illness and even suicidality in their past. But if you're Going Through It Right Now, working a crisis line is probably not going to be good for you.

Some of the hard parts are obvious: you might lose people you just had on the line. I, personally, never had one, but the other person on shift was pretty sure that the caller hung up and completed their suicide attempt. Other hard parts are not obvious: there are a lot of humans out there who have run out of places to turn, and free counseling/crisis lines are the only places that will provide them any social support. Often, these people were profoundly mentally ill. They might be on the line for several hours a day. You can burn out pretty quickly with those folks, but they're in need, too.

I'll tell you though, the wins are big when they come. I had a few callers who went from seriously considering killing themselves to realizing that they both could go on living and wanted to go on living in the space of a few minutes. There's incredible power in the briefest connection you form.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Red Crown posted:

I did the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) for a summer in college. It was a very meaningful, fulfilling, and difficult experience.

The NSPL relies heavily on volunteers already being fundamentally OK people with decent empathy skills. We got about 40 hours of training before going live on the line. It was a crash course in active listening skills, which seem simple, but require discipline. In turn, active listening is an extremely powerful tool. I'd rank this kick-start in active listening as one of the most important skills I use in my life, both personal and professional.

You'll hear some heavy stuff. Most callers are going to dial that number at the lowest point in their lives. If you've got heart enough to be there to begin with, you're going to be moved. Being healthy and stable already is important. That doesn't mean you can't have problems - plenty of the full time workers and volunteers I was with had their own battles with mental illness and even suicidality in their past. But if you're Going Through It Right Now, working a crisis line is probably not going to be good for you.

Some of the hard parts are obvious: you might lose people you just had on the line. I, personally, never had one, but the other person on shift was pretty sure that the caller hung up and completed their suicide attempt. Other hard parts are not obvious: there are a lot of humans out there who have run out of places to turn, and free counseling/crisis lines are the only places that will provide them any social support. Often, these people were profoundly mentally ill. They might be on the line for several hours a day. You can burn out pretty quickly with those folks, but they're in need, too.

I'll tell you though, the wins are big when they come. I had a few callers who went from seriously considering killing themselves to realizing that they both could go on living and wanted to go on living in the space of a few minutes. There's incredible power in the briefest connection you form.

Thank you so much for replying and sharing your experience. I stopped checking the thread after a week and assumed no one was going to reply, but I'm glad you did.

I really like your point about making sure I'm in a good place before I volunteer for this sort of thing. That's very insightful. I'm in the midst of a med change for my bipolar II, so I will absolutely keep that in mind and make sure I'm totally stable before I reach out to one of these organizations.

I'm personally interested in this because I lost a niece to suicide six years ago. I've learned a lot about suicide risk since then, and I have wanted to do something to feel like I'm helping in some way. I'm going to think on it for a bit and make sure I'm totally stable with this med change.

Thanks again!