Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

we have this hormone preparation at work called premarin and so few people believe me when I tell
then this but you know how a horse is a mare (a horse with a ballsack?) well the mar in the premarin name comes from horse because the hormone is extracted from the horses piss

classic. they even put a clue to your origin of piss drugs in the name

idk I think they feed it something and the horse converts it to this conjugated equine hormone thing that is used in HRT

anyway perhaps synthetic hormones in the quantities required to make cow tiddy malky is simply too costly without an animal making them anyway. idk, speculating here. surely the way they do it across the globe is the cheapest way. which also sucks because it’s awful when you think about it

Premarin is specifically ‘pregnant mare urine’ as a source of estrogen yeah. it used to the be standard over here for HRT in the bad old days, when trans women would just stroke out and die randomly, and it was in part because of this medication

we have a lot of hold over ideas for estrogen prescribing in our system from back when premarin was the standard, which has prescribers a little too risk averse at times with respect to estrogen, and for risks that are no longer rly applicable. so occasionally people will be told to do stupid things like stop taking hrt if they have to fly in a plane, even tho nowadays you’re way more at risk of suicide from stopping hormones than whatever risk flying + hrt presents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU