Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I get Market Basket store brand at like $8 for a pound. I rarely use the full pound before it starts tasting noticeably stale though. Its better than the other grocery store options like Peets or Vermont Coffee Company, and I don't know how much I care about sourcing coffee elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

smarxist posted:

i don't like the taste of coffee, but sometimes i wonder if that's because i've never had a "good one"

i do like the smell though, and i also kinda like the social mythos and aura around coffee consumption, it has as many vagaries as something like wine for instance, but isn't as obnoxious, more blue collar

someone coffeepill me, what is a type of coffee and preparation that a novice may enjoy? i'm willing to take pains to make it well, and drink it relatively pure (never quite understood people who pour a 1/3rd cup off coffee and then dump a pint of heavy cream and sugar in, just get a milkshake man)

you wont make good coffee without a good grinder, so invest in a quality ceramic burr grinder. for brewing, something inexpensive like an aeropress or hario v60 is a good place to start

buy light/medium roasted whole beans. dark roast coffee is trash. only grind what youre going to immediately use

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

coffeh...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Making coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

home for the holidays, so just had a cup of maxwell house brewed to perfection by mr. coffee

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i had some good coffee today

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I like the Jacked Rabbit high power poo poo the muscogee indians sell online at the aptly named native American coffee website

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My company gives us free coffee for the Keurig that I don't think has ever been cleaned.

My insides hurt

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
tea is win. it would be yospos to exclude it from the thread

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it's good. it's in my blood. but i don't need it. ingestion-wise. don't need it. full of energy without it. but i still take some. cause it's in my racial bones...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

black rifle coffee ftw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ohtori Akio posted:

tea is win. it would be yospos to exclude it from the thread

almost anything can be a tea, all you need is hot water

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what kind of brutal exploitation is behind that coffee that's made of cat poop

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
drinking coffee for almost two decades made me so tolerant that there's no practical way to get enough caffeine in me through drinking coffee. Only megadosing works now.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Halser posted:

drinking coffee for almost two decades made me so tolerant that there's no practical way to get enough caffeine in me through drinking coffee. Only megadosing works now.

thats not supposed to happen

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

energy drinks have like 300mg of caffeine in a 16oz can now

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

speng31b posted:

thats not supposed to happen

wouldn't be the only thing wrong with my body, but I can easily have two cans of energy drinks and take a nap afterwards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah im so jacked on energy drinks i need a 6pack of red bull just to maintain my blood pressure too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dunkin Donuts ftw

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

would

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

6 Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

That has absolutely nothing to do with coffee. What were they thinking??!!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

speng31b
May 8, 2010

content warning: valtteri butt rear end

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

covfefe

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

it's arabic for stand with us or something like that, i dunno..

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Are coffee enemas decadent or pro-worker

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

i don't like the taste of coffee, but sometimes i wonder if that's because i've never had a "good one"

i do like the smell though, and i also kinda like the social mythos and aura around coffee consumption, it has as many vagaries as something like wine for instance, but isn't as obnoxious, more blue collar

someone coffeepill me, what is a type of coffee and preparation that a novice may enjoy? i'm willing to take pains to make it well, and drink it relatively pure (never quite understood people who pour a 1/3rd cup off coffee and then dump a pint of heavy cream and sugar in, just get a milkshake man)

For methods: If you want an espresso type with minimal effort, AeroPress is a good choice: https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Original-bitterness-American-espresso/dp/B0047BIWSK I used to do this but i'm a quantity person and it's too much fiddling when i'm comatose in the morning and just need to get. Temperature is also important, you generally want to have hot water around 195-200f. Not 212f. this is very important.

French Press is also a good cheap option, no issues with that either. it's very easy and very lazy. can pick one up from ikea for like $15. It does tend to be a little more watery

These days I use a clever-dripper which is a combination drip coffee/pour over. It's perfect for my lazy needs where I just want to pour hot water (198f) into it for a few minutes then drink. https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Dripper-Filters-Baristas-Plastic/dp/B09BN5CM4P/. Proper pour-overs are too fiddly imo, don't like em

For coffee itself, imo there isn't that big of difference between bespoke bougie single origin poo poo and something you can buy at Trader Joe's like morning blend or bay coffee. This would be my cheap go-to. Whole then grind is the way to go and then it matters even less what you buy. Cafe Bustello is also good for pre-grind if you don't want a grinder and want something cheap

For grinding, depends on what method you are using in how precise it needs to be fine or coarse, but generally a decent burr grinder is the way to go and just an easy button press. You can get something fancy like the Baratza model which is top or something cheaper like a Chefman is ok too.

but yes cream+sugar is an abomination. i'm straight black but sometimes I add a splash of oatley oat milk to it, just a splash though. most oat milks suck poo poo but oatley is good for coffee.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I bought an espresso machine and a grinder about 12 years ago and it owns. Limitless long pull espressos for about 25 cents of beans a go.

I dont know how my heart hasnt exploded yet.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Thoguh posted:

I bought an espresso machine and a grinder about 12 years ago and it owns. Limitless long pull espressos for about 25 cents of beans a go.

i think a happy heart wants to beat for longer and a good source of happiness is a nice cortado

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
i only drink ethically sourced beans unless i'm in a hurry and then i'll stop at starbucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Thoguh posted:

havign a real espresso machine at home owns

i think most people could just elevate their coffee experience by grinding their own beans

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

most preground stuff works really well in a moka pot

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

havign a real espresso machine at home owns

i want one but i just dont have room in my tiny 1 br apartment. if i ever have a house (lol) then im definitely buying a fancy bougie italian espresso machine from the 1920s or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i took home the very nice espresso machine and grinder from the office back in 2020. not looking forward to giving it back next year but i had a good run