Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
my hario pourover thingy ftmfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smarxist posted:

i don't like the taste of coffee, but sometimes i wonder if that's because i've never had a "good one"

i do like the smell though, and i also kinda like the social mythos and aura around coffee consumption, it has as many vagaries as something like wine for instance, but isn't as obnoxious, more blue collar

someone coffeepill me, what is a type of coffee and preparation that a novice may enjoy? i'm willing to take pains to make it well, and drink it relatively pure (never quite understood people who pour a 1/3rd cup off coffee and then dump a pint of heavy cream and sugar in, just get a milkshake man)

didnt read

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Megamissen posted:

i dont drink coffee because i have the taste buds of a baby

common swede condition

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
tea is win. it would be yospos to exclude it from the thread

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
in seattle washington imo it makes more sense to make your own drip and have someone make the espresso for you. so i do that. cosign the aeropress but really dont overthink brew method, grinding your own beans is the part that matters

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the fellow grinder and kettle are hustlegrindcore but they work pretty good for my pourovers

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

Cold brew > hot coffee

if youre retarded

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Ok you've had too many cups today. Please be less aggro

zero cups today. im speaking truth to power

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Zero cups?? GTFO poser

stupid bitch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
zojirushi ftw

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol if you aren't drinking espresso and nitro cold brews entirely

Sorry but pour over is absolutely diner level shite

Especially the people who warm the carousel for hours and go back to said carousel for more cups

Like what psycho would do that

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lumpentroll posted:

do moka pots work ok

yeah theyre fine. a little finicky to get temperatures right and not boil the coffee but its not rocket science. espresso is a strict upgrade though

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Cold brew + Nitro is great.

It's like a big espresso with wonderful flavor profiles. Especially the guy that works near the warehouse he does a specific method with a far darker roast used which ends up lightning in the nitro process. Making a nice even keel roast with a Guinness style consistency.

Anyway coffee overall is excellent when created in the right way, especially with a certain group profiles being able to be utilized under controlled methods like Graham weighing out grinding consistency being constant so every time you pull a shot you end up getting a consistent result and then you can experiment with different factors in your testing to find your preferred roast type and style. Then you can move on to doing things like mocha sauce which is a wonderful little experience

didn't read

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
finishing up the brew on my pourover. i just use the caffe vita stuff costco sells these days lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
"low t" is when you haven't had your morning cuppa

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

stfu gbs guy

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
this all seems like an idolatry of the method rather than a morally correct appreciation of the Bean

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you view a vacpot as maximum science instead of maximum goofiness (since the actual maximum goofiness is a balance siphon) then the best way to make cold brew is under pressure in a whipping siphon. it only takes a few hours instead of overnight

i actually use a whipping siphon to pressure-infuse rum with coffee about once a month (the Cafe Touba recipe from Liquid Intelligence)

sounds like aids

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
that coffee maker facts: its made it impossible to get google results for mizudashi, the way i make soup broth

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Al! posted:

mizudashi is japanese for dashi water

it means cold brewing dashi, the only good way to cold brew something

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
stfu

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Les Os posted:

stupid question:

my friend told me that some coffee brands outsource their stuff to other coffee companies then slap their label on it. I know booze does this too (bottled in vs. distilled in). what’s the point of this? why not just invest in making coffee or booze better than whoever you’re paying to make coffee for you. I get it from the side of the manufacturer: you got the means of production might as well get paid from multiple brands but what do the brands get out of it. something like coffee roasting or distilling booze can be done for cheap in someone’s backyard

here's an easy example: my local upmarket grocery store wants to sell a store brand done to their specs, but they don't want to get in the roasting business. they farm that out to a local roaster (i'm in seattle so there are a million), put their packaging on it, everyone is happy. or, a huge chain like starbucks will outsource to many roasters with an inherently consistent recipe so they can supply a huge set of stores.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FirstnameLastname posted:

havin a cuppa nightcoffee rn

stupid bitch.....now youre gonna eb night shittin

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the coveted Completely Evacuated Slumber

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
dalgonas fine but its way too much work for what it is

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Lpzie posted:

love how on those coffee charts that people hang on their walls the only one cut with water is the Americano. that might mean something I think, I don't know, I'm not a genius (i am)

it literally just means americans are too retarded for straight espresso so they need training wheels

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
theres a certain joy in choking down a really lovely espresso and acting tough about it lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
night coffee is for retards and college students (same thing)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

it was me

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ArmedZombie posted:

america is completely deranged

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
just had my morning cup. time to take a poo poo

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
had some coffee; took a dump

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
in order to sweeten the sugarfree energy drinks, they include a potent dose of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
not googling the model the quoted poster mentioned ftw.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i like my fellow ode v1 a lot except for the fact that it spews perfectly ground coffee all over my countertops

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
you should get whichever grinder you want to look at every morning tbh

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

smoobles posted:

I've had the same Krups grinder for close to a decade and it's pretty alright, however it always gets ground coffee jammed up in one of the corners which I have to scrape out with a knife each time. I think I'm ready to buy a new one!

What's the best simple grinder out there. Do you folks find it's worth getting a fancy one to control the courseness?

I own this silly little guy:

hit craigslist or sales for a burr grinder. itll be a very meaningful upgrade. my first one was less than fifty bucks off craigslist and had a coarseness knob

because burrs have an obvious way to control coarseness, most burr grinders will have that knob. and yes its worth it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
just picked up some red bull

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Mr. Sharps posted:

wet a spoon and stir up your beans before you grind them

still happens, they ended up revising the design to address this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Weka posted:

Bizarre to me they would make a burr grinder without one.

Anyway, time for a beer.

im not aware of one without