Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

smarxist posted:

i don't like the taste of coffee, but sometimes i wonder if that's because i've never had a "good one"

i do like the smell though, and i also kinda like the social mythos and aura around coffee consumption, it has as many vagaries as something like wine for instance, but isn't as obnoxious, more blue collar

someone coffeepill me, what is a type of coffee and preparation that a novice may enjoy? i'm willing to take pains to make it well, and drink it relatively pure (never quite understood people who pour a 1/3rd cup off coffee and then dump a pint of heavy cream and sugar in, just get a milkshake man)

you won’t make good coffee without a good grinder, so invest in a quality ceramic burr grinder. for brewing, something inexpensive like an aeropress or hario v60 is a good place to start

buy light/medium roasted whole beans. dark roast coffee is trash. only grind what you’re going to immediately use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

home for the holidays, so just had a cup of maxwell house brewed to perfection by mr. coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i took home the very nice espresso machine and grinder from the office back in 2020. not looking forward to giving it back next year but i had a good run

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

I have questions about the nazi lighting rune, but besides that, shouldn't you be drinking decaff if you don't want to be awake?

caffeine? so you can stay up all night burning american flags and looting target with your pal Antifa?

e: lol

they gave somewhat normal replies up until a couple years ago. wonder if something happened

snack soul has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Nov 25, 2023

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

as far as roasters go, I like ritual and chromatic in the bay, temple and chocolate fish in sac.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQk_pWmisA

holiday season. thinking about the folgers incest commercial again

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

moka pot coffee is awful. i have one and it only serves as decoration

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

if you want strong non-espresso coffee just get an aeropress

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Xaris posted:

what is the appeal of cold brew? I found it vile. coffee should be piping hot with steam visibly rising from a nice ceramic mug like twin peaks

not loving cold

I guess if you have an esophagus issue where you can’t have hot things… fine

it’s how i use up coffee that sat around too long to bother brewing for espresso. always winds up tasting more or less the same with cold brew. no idea why you’d get any fancier with it than steeping it overnight

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

fed my cat 2lbs of folgers mardi gras blend to try the poop coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

good morning

waiting for the espresso machine to heat up. the cat died during the night

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Smythe posted:

that sucks dude sorry. condolences

thanks do you think the coffee is still salvageable though?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

+ any tips on how to get it out

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

it’s looking like whole beans would have been the better choice here

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

remember dalgona coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i made it and that poo poo sucked

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

:same:

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

enjoying an americano. gonna get out the cast iron and treat myself to a big breakfast. it’s a special occasion after all

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

is it still an americano if it’s 1:1?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

mr money bags with the microwave over here

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i’m not sure id call aeropress convenient but it makes some very good coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

faster than the other two methods though

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

enjoying an afternoon macchiato with a drizzle of cajeta quemada

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

it literally just means americans are too retarded for straight espresso so they need training wheels

can confirm

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

an Americano is fake drip coffee.

nah an americano made from a good pull is better than drip coffee. i don’t mind a straight shot of espresso but if i’m not confident it’s quality coffee then i’m diluting it. or i just want the flavor and body of espresso but need it to last me longer. it’s good if it’s 1:1 or 2:1 water:coffee but some places just dilute the hell out of it

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

not if the drip coffee is made correctly. it's a completely different thing.

yeah i was just taking issue issue with fake drip coffee. they’re two different things and both are good but i gravitate toward espresso

anyway it’s too late for coffee so i’m drinking an imperial coffee stout

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

having a friday afternoon coffee. burundi turihamwe

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

aeropress also rules because you can get a jp-30 or knockoff grinder that fits into the plunger so it’s nice and compact for travel / camping

probably the best cheap brewing setup

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

also use a metal filter so all the oils and microplastics make it into the cup for robust mouthfeel

snack soul has issued a correction as of 10:19 on Dec 2, 2023

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

i’m a real bitch until i’ve had my coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

had banh mi and vietnamese coffee

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

snack soul