Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

TSD rally is probably the nerdiest motorsport. If you've never heard of it before, imagine a heavily curated road trip. You're given a very precise (if not clear) route book that's divided into stages. Some stages, regularities, are carefully timed. For these, the route book contains exact speeds and distances between waypoints that must be followed. Cars leave the line at 1 minute intervals, and the time at which they reach certain points in space is recorded. That time is compared against the theoretical perfect time, and each car gets points for every second early or late they are. Lowest score wins.

To make up for all the hassle, the rallymaster often picks some of the most stunning scenery you could imagine.

Some scenery from the 2023 Thunderbird Rally around Merrit, BC

2023 Nor'Wester Rally in central Oregon.

A really stunning road from Thunderbird.

Also challenging conditions

Me, understeering on glare ice because the photographer surprised me.

"Hairpin left. Caution: right exposure".

The roads are not closed. You're contending with traffic (and deer, and pedestrians, and other lost rallyists). The indicated speeds are always below the speed limit, but often feel faster than prudent (especially on ice or gravel hairpins). Regularities often last 20-80 miles, and are connected by transit stages. Transits are straightforward, untimed stages to the start of the next regularity. They often contain fuel or lunch stops. When you put a bunch of transits together with a bunch of regularities, you get 8-10 hours of almost constant driving over the course of a day.

A team consists of a driver and a navigator. The navigator reads the instructions, deciphers any potentially confusing elements, does math, and watches the odometer and the clock very closely. The driver keeps the car on the road.

The instructions look like this most of the time:

Out east, road rallies often include tricks or traps: intentionally confusing directions that can be avoided by careful application of the rules. I'm lucky enough to live in the pacific northwest, where we get enough snow and unpaved roads that we can have so-called "brisk" soft-surface rallies. Sometimes cars get bent. In the Thunderbird rally in BC last February, a Celica and a VW of some sort both had to be pulled out of a snowbank by the sweeper truck. The Celica was relatively undamaged, but the VW bent a control arm and had to limp back to the hotel.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So you said this is a project thread too?

Over a year ago, I submitted an application for the 2024 Alcan 5000 winter rally. As you might imagine, it's a 5000 mile rally, across Alaska and Canada, in the winter. I was #16 on the wait list, but as of the 2023 Nor'Wester rally, I was #6. Then when I checked the other week, I was #2. Then #1. On Saturday I got an email saying that I had made it in, and could I please pay a $300 deposit? I texted my navigator, started talking to my wife about who would watch our two year old, and said yes!

I have December, January, and most of February to prep the car.

The car

The car is a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

I bought it back in March (when my wife appropriated the Outback pictured above) and drove it in the Nor'Wester rally in September.

The prep

I need to spend more time fleshing out this list, but here's a high level look at what I need:

- Wheels: Kastivich included four Sparco Dakar 18x8.5 +32 (I think but need to confirm) wheels with the Cayenne. I plan to mount snow tires on these. I need to buy at least one more for a spare

- Tires: I'd love to get studded snow tires, but I know next to nothing about studded snow tires. *Also*, there's some debate over whether good modern snow tires wouldn't be roughly as good. Nokian tires worked really well on the Subaru in BC, but I'd also like to not crash my truck.

- Lights: It's dark a lot in Alaska in February. I have two Diode Dynamics driving beams and two fogs that I stole off the Subaru, but I don't have a good way to mount them. Eurowise makes a light bar that mounts to my front recovery points. I don't *love* that solution, but it's also the quickest.

- More lights: High mounted rear-facing lights are recommended for visibility. I intend to add a rear fog light (for safety) and an auxiliary reverse light (because I have extra switches).

- Spare tire mount

- Roof rack: I have a hankering to weld something up.

- Radio: Alcan requires a radio capable of transmitting on the MURS spectrum, which is just above the ham 2m band. A recommendation is that I buy a 2m radio and hack it (desolder a resistor) to allow it to transmit on MURS. I also want to get my technician license again. I got it in elementary school, but it expired a decade ago.

- SPOT tracker: required

- Recovery gear: It is heavily recommended I get a good quality tow strap, and a snatch strap that's better than Harbor Freight quality. I have traction boards and a good shovel, but I should get hardware to mount them to the above roof rack.

- Fuel: I need to anticipate a maximum of 350 miles between fuel stops. That's really close to the range of the Cayenne. My fuel economy on canadian highways should be better than it is in Seattle, but also it should be worse in the very cold air. Also, my experience in the Nor'Wester is that not all fuel stops have premium gas. I think it would be prudent to carry 10 gallons in NATO cans or Giant Loop fuel bladders.

- Octane booster: See the previous note about not all gas stations carrying premium gas.

- Oil: The Cayenne eats a lot of oil. I should plan to carry a lot of oil. On the order of 10 liters.

- Cold weather stuff: My gut feeling is the worst case scenario overnight low will be around -40 F, but a quick look at historical weather over the past few years in the cities along the route indicates a likely overnight low in the mid -20s. More research is warranted. Also it's an El Nino year, so this winter should be warmer on average. Do I need a block heater or an oil pan warmer? I kind of want to get one of those 120v car heaters to protect my battery (under the driver's seat, of course) and various bits of technology from getting too too cold. Speaking of which...

- New battery: mine is a few years old and the mechanic said I should probably plan to replace it in the next year or so. I don't think that recommendation takes -20 temperatures into account.

- Rally computer: a computer to help us track time, speed, and distance. I wrote a program to do all this in the Nor'Wester rally, and it was... not the best. Plenty of room for improvement.

Timeline

Rumor has it that the 2024 Thunderbird rally is scheduled for late January. I'd love to get most of the car prep and programming done and use that as a shakedown. I can use February to acquire gear, and be ready to go by late Feb.

Budget

I'm basically lighting piles of money on fire and using them to maybe damage a Porsche that's old enough to vote.

Plan

All of the above is an 11pm brain dump after dealing with a sick toddler. I'll expand it, refine it, and start in earnest tomorrow.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 28, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ground floor

quote:

- Rally computer: a computer to help us track time, speed, and distance. I wrote a program to do all this in the Nor'Wester rally, and it was... not the best. Plenty of room for improvement.

There's two ways to look at this - either the latest and greatest tablet based GPS systems or the old fashioned row of stopatches, calculator and Halda / Timewise 798 :D

These's I see a few apps running about that claim to be able to do TSD like this

https://www.msyapps.com/apps/rallycalcremote.html

I got a mate that designed a pretty good TSD that also doubled asa GPS Terratrip, I'll hit him up and see what he suggests

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As a certified Jeep Bro I'm required to recommend Rotopax, I've been happy with their gas and water tanks and the mounting setup to go with them.

Mostly this is just getting in early on a surely-epic thread.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any plans for an incar or dash camera to capture some cool footage?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

c355n4 posted:

Any plans for an incar or dash camera to capture some cool footage?

I messed with a GoPro a little bit during the last rally but all the footage came out looking like this.

I was trying to make up a 15 second time deficit. We were trying a big GPS speedometer/odometer rather than the rally computer during this stage, and it really didn't work very well.

So, maybe. I'd love to but it's one more thing to worry about and super low on my priority list.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Hell yes, this is amazing.
My only complaint is that I can only vote 5 once.

I wonder what TSD Rally's are coming up in my area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've only done one TSD, but it was a whole lot of fun. There's a big one here (Trail of the Gnu) that I'd like to get something prepared for, but my codriver moved away a couple years ago. Alcan would be absolutely worth it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

First thing's first: I bought a 3D printer.

It's absurdly fast, and the table I have it on is woefully unsuitable. I'll try to find a sturdy little table when I can.

https://i.imgur.com/krV4QFJ.mp4

For the time being, it lives in my office.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've only done one TSD, but it was a whole lot of fun. There's a big one here (Trail of the Gnu) that I'd like to get something prepared for, but my codriver moved away a couple years ago. Alcan would be absolutely worth it.

How was Trail of the Gnu? It was on my radar this year, but I thought... Calgary? Edmonton? would be too far to justify right now.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

holy poo poo this rules

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Where will you put the gas? In the trunk or on top? If on top are you going to test any gas mileage reduction from the traction boards and gas cans?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Picture it: you're a German executive at Deutsche Bank in the early 2000s, tired from your long day of converting to the Euro. You climb into your luxury sports SUV, touch the center console, and the overcomplicated ashtray softly slides out. The articulated cigarette lighter bends upward, beckoning. You pull a perfect Roth-Händle cigarette from your pack, light it, and take a long drag as you enter the Autobahn. Exquisite.

I don't need a cigarette lighter or an ashtray, but I do like the idea of having an accessory socket and a bunch of USB charging infrastructure. I pulled the overcomplicated German ashtray out and put a basic model together quickly in TinkerCAD. Not perfect, but a first prototype.

When I got to work this morning, I fired up the 3D printer. drat this sucker is fast. I left the slicer open on one of my monitors so I could keep an eye on it, but it just does its thing without any complaints.

Results: reasonably close! Good for a first draft. I'll test fit it this evening if I get a chance.

I've ordered an accessory port and some 12v USB chargers; they should arrive this weekend. When they do, I'll add gussets to the mounting ears and make some holes in the face plate for them. I'll also print it in black (the green filament came with the printer). I'll wind up cutting up the ashtray wiring harness, but if I want to put it back to stock I can get a used ashtray on eBay.

builds character posted:

Where will you put the gas? In the trunk or on top? If on top are you going to test any gas mileage reduction from the traction boards and gas cans?

Good question. I've got some thoughts about this. The rules say the gas can't go in the trunk. I'd like to try to find a way to hang it off the spare tire carrier, but roof rack might be easiest.

Doing some testing to measure the fuel economy impact is a good idea, but I won't be able to control for the impact of a snow-covered road and the much colder air temperature. I think it'll be #fine to be more reactive and simply carry an extra 100 miles in reserve in case I need to use it.

TODO Today:
- Order spare tire carrier while it's still on sale.
- Order square steel tubing for the roof rack.
- Test fit the blanking plate.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 30, 2023

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

- Wheels: Kastivich included four Sparco Dakar 18x8.5 +32 (I think but need to confirm) wheels with the Cayenne. I plan to mount snow tires on these. I need to buy at least one more for a spare

They are! https://shop.eurowise.com/products/ewordakarbk

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Awesome! Thanks dude!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

TODO Today:
- Order spare tire carrier while it's still on sale.
- Order square steel tubing for the roof rack.
- Test fit the blanking plate.

Done today:

-[x] Order spare tire carrier (Wilco Hitchgate Switch)
-[ ] Order square steel tubing for the roof rack.
-[ ] Test fit the blanking plate.

Bonus accomplishment:
-[x] Made an appointment to get the inner tie rod taken care of on the Subaru

To be perfectly fair, my son threw up on me immediately after I got home and I didn't have time to take measurements / fiddle around with the car. I'll see if I can knock those out tomorrow morning. Taking the kid to the pediatrician after work.

Zoleo satellite communicators are on sale, so I need to make time to go to REI and pick one up. They qualify for the satellite communicator/tracker/SOS button requirement.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

-[x] Order spare tire carrier (Wilco Hitchgate Switch)

Interesting, looks like the same thing EuroWise is selling. I can't get a straight answer on towing/pulling capacity through its extended receiver so I didn't get one for mine (which runs sweep at NEFR, so I need the hitch).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Interesting, looks like the same thing EuroWise is selling. I can't get a straight answer on towing/pulling capacity through its extended receiver so I didn't get one for mine (which runs sweep at NEFR, so I need the hitch).

The manufacturer says "Tow Rated hitch for up to 7,500lbs with a 750lb tongue weight". One of the other Alcan Cayennes is using a Hitchgate Max, which makes the same promises. I figure if I need to be pulled out of a snow bank, I can still put a soft shackle through one of the safety chain eyes on my actual trailer hitch. If I need to pull someone else out and needed to use some force, I'd definitely be tempted to remove the spare tire carrier altogether.

This morning I stole a car stereo popped out my HVAC controls to test fit the ashtray.

Close but not perfect.

I missed the location of the screw holes because I measured from the wrong surface. My mistake.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Still fits a lot better than many Scosche and Metra install kits

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

The manufacturer says "Tow Rated hitch for up to 7,500lbs with a 750lb tongue weight".

Oh cool....I would not have a problem with using that for sweep. Or really anything other than my 9k lb dump trailer if it was fully loaded.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

pulling someone stuck, or being pulled from stuck, by anything on a hitch is asking for trouble. you'd think they'd be enough but shock loading from pulling someone out can exceed those specs by an order of magnitude. some dude in the southwest got decapitated fairly recently by a tow hitch that failed during a pullout

e: i mean, he was buried in a mud hole past his axles, not nosed into a snow-filled ditch or whatever. but still. be careful and yank on things meant to be yanked on whenever feasible

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 5, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Last night I sent the updated part to the printer and sat down with the ashtray wiring harness.

Then I pulled up Alldata. What the gently caress is brown? What the gently caress is gray? Why does the ashtray need five conductors?

Anyway I got it sorted out. Red is hot, brown is ground, gray is probably linked to the ignition and operates the ashtray lights. I cut it long and folded it out of the way.

I decided there's no time like the present to learn how to do Deutsch connectors. If I'm going to do this, I might as well overdo it.

[later, at the office]

These crimps are going to be a problem. What's the right way to daisy chain like this? I had trouble fitting the insulation of two wires in one terminal.

Anyway, it looks decent from the front.

And surprisingly not bad installed! I had trouble getting that USB port on the left clocked correctly.

If you'd like one, I published the part here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6353988

Cactus Ghost posted:

pulling someone stuck, or being pulled from stuck, by anything on a hitch is asking for trouble. you'd think they'd be enough but shock loading from pulling someone out can exceed those specs by an order of magnitude. some dude in the southwest got decapitated fairly recently by a tow hitch that failed during a pullout

e: i mean, he was buried in a mud hole past his axles, not nosed into a snow-filled ditch or whatever. but still. be careful and yank on things meant to be yanked on whenever feasible

Yeah, if I need to yank or get yanked, I'm going to pull from as close to the frame as I can get. Absolutely.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 5, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Steel ordered for the roof rack. Stretch goal: get it built in time to pick up a Christmas tree on Friday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

These crimps are going to be a problem. What's the right way to daisy chain like this? I had trouble fitting the insulation of two wires in one terminal.

What you did is fine with the right parts, but your crimps are undersized for that job. OEMs tend to never do this and instead use extra stupid stuff like splice blocks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Noted, thank you. I'll put re-doing those crimps with bigger terminals on my list.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 5, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Roof rack time. If you have a Cayenne with a panoramic sunroof, it comes with an aluminum T-track on top instead of roof rails.

[file photo]

I don't know the dimensions of this T-track, so it's time to take some measurements. I pulled the truck halfway into my garage because it's been raining and will be raining and it never stops raining and I feel like I'm on Ray Bradbury's Venus. I thought this might be a great excuse to break out the gauge bloc-OH SON OF A BITCH

Anyway. The T-track is profiled like this.

I drew up a plate that can slide inside there and sent it to SendCutSend.

Those holes are tapped 1/4-20.

I also picked up a load of steel tubing from Metal Supermarkets.

TODO:
- Figure out the angle between the roof rack and the roof at the mounting locations
- order hardware
- Figure out where to donate the cat food (our current cat doesn't like wet food)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A local shelter should be able to use it, whether municipal or non profit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Roof rack time. If you have a Cayenne with a panoramic sunroof, it comes with an aluminum T-track on top instead of roof rails.

Negative, they all come with that arrangement. The rails are simply an option (like all things Porsche). They are installed like this:

The top piece is the bottom of a factory roof rail. There are three pockets like that. The bottom is a thing that slots into the rail and then goes into the pockets. There's a hole on the inside of the pocket (covered with a plastic plug) where you jam an allen wrench through and tighten the nut that jams against the inside outboard portion of the pocket:

(allen key side, points inboard on the car)

(other side, other end of that allen bolt that jams against the inside of the rail pocket)

If you need dimensions let me know and I'll grab the micrometer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Negative, they all come with that arrangement. The rails are simply an option (like all things Porsche).

That's roughly what I figured when I was researching this earlier this year. I bought a set of Thule crossbars in the spring that fix themselves to the T-track using fiddly rhomboidal nuts. When I was installing those, I thought "I could do a lot better than this with some laser cut steel", and so here we are.

Motronic posted:

If you need dimensions let me know and I'll grab the micrometer.

Thank you for the offer, but I should be set with the measurements I've taken!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Steel ordered for the roof rack. Stretch goal: get it built in time to pick up a Christmas tree on Friday.

The stretch goal is gonna slip. I have a Christmas party to go to tomorrow night. Today I started cutting stock for the roof rack. I did okay using my very ratty Makita portaband with a shot blade, but I'm so tempted to pick up the Bauer benchtop horizontal bandsaw I was looking at at Harbor Freight yesterday.

Also decided to see if I remember how to weld.

I've seen worse. I think I need to turn down the amperage and turn up the wire feed a skoch. If I hit that with a grinder, you almost wouldn't be able to tell I have the cheapest Harbor Freight flux core machine. I hit it with a big hammer a few times and it didn't budge.

Crocs: not the best PPE.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 7, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your flux is wet. Throw that spool in the trash.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SendCutSend sent me some candy.

Also my parts. Test fit:

Motherfucker. I didn't see / account for the ridge at the far side of the T-track. A 1.000" gauge block fits just fine, but dumbass me had to go and make 1.100" plates. Butts. I need to make a friend with a hobby mill. Oh well, another $36 to sendcutsend. I've updated my drawings accordingly.

I'm printing standoffs that will hold the rack up off the roof of the car. Testing using so-called Tough PLA, final version to be printed in ASA.

Oof, that bed adhesion. I might be reprinting one of those.

FAQ: 3D prints aren't strong enough to hold a roof rack, dumbass.

Not technically a question, but a valid point. The way I've designed it, the 3D printed standoffs are held in compression by steel hardware: the T-track plates, some long 1/4-20 screws, some leveling washers, and the rack itself. I've not done math, but it should be at least as strong as my Thule rack.

Actual progress: The spare tire carrier came in.

Also I bought a fresh spool of flux core welding wire. I'll see if it performs any better than the last spool, which sat in my garage for a few months (albeit vacuum-sealed and wrapped in plastic).

TODO:
- Wait for parts to come in
- Order ASA filament
- Place mcmaster order I've been sitting on
- Get snow tires
- Get a fifth wheel
- everything else

Edit: gently caress, somebody's selling a horror freight mini-mill with a bunch of upgrades and goodies on craigslist for a mere $1300. I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it....

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 12, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

While I wait for the third phase of Send Cut Send to complete, I willed these jigs into existence.

It's got counterbores for 1/4-20 socket head cap screws in those two vertical holes, and the Vs at the top are centered on the holes. That way I can put a length of steel tubing on top of the car, get it lined up such that it sits as flat as possible, and mark the location for through holes. That's what I did. I only dropped it and hurt the paint once.

Critically, there's still room for the hatch to open.

Then I drilled the holes.

Tomorrow I might break out the welder and start tacking the rack together. On Monday the new T-slot plates come in, and I can get the final dimension I need to weld the whole thing together.

The ASA printer filament should come in tomorrow. That's stronger than PLA and more stable against water. I'll make final tweaks to the design and print the final next draft for the posts that hold up the rack.

WHEEL WOES:

Sparco discontinued the Dakar wheel. Eurowise doesn't have any in stock. Eurowise also doesn't have any OZ Rally Raid wheels, which have the same width and offset. I've reached out to them for alternatives. Another possibility is to get my hands on a fifth Alutec Grip wheel and simply swap my summer tires with Blizzaks (I'm like 95% sure I want to go for them over Hakkapeliittas). I can't find a vendor for Alutec wheels either, but I'll see if my tire shop can recommend somebody.

Kastivich, did you buy the Alutec wheels as well? They're 18x8 +52, correct? Where did you get them from?

I guess if both of those fail, I could either buy another wheel close to the same dimensions as one of the above wheels and call that my designated spare, or I could get a custom steel wheel made. Who makes reasonably priced steel wheels?

LIGHT BAR:

I decided to just get the off-the-shelf front light bar from Eurowise. It works, and if I need a front tow point that badly I can just unbolt it. It interferes with the parking sensors, but so does the spare tire carrier. I can just pull the fuse.

See? Fuse.

OTHER PROGRESS:

-[x] Passage booked on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA, departing March 3. That's going to be tight: it's a 14 hour drive from Anchorage to Haines. I would have loved to see the start of the Iditarod in Anchorage on March 2, but I don't think that's prudent.
-[x] Exam passed for my technician class amateur radio operator license. I used to have a tech class license, but it expired 15 years ago. The license seemed a lot harder at age 11 than it did at age 36. A friend of mine suggested I study up and knock out everything up through amateur extra in one go.

NEXT STEPS:

-[ ] Buy wheel and tires - blocked waiting for Eurowise to get back to me
-[ ] Place an order from Eurowise - blocked waiting for Eurowise to get back to me re the wheel
- Light bar
- mount so that one of those Trigger wireless switch units can fit in the sunglasses holder
- MOLLE panel that covers one of the cargo area windows so I can mount a fire extinguisher to that.
- Maybe a wheel
-[ ] Reserve a rental parka and other cold weather gear: I might call them on Monday but I wouldn't be surprised if they're closed until the new year.
-[ ] Replace rear hatch gas struts: I've had these kicking around my garage for a year now. Nothing stopping me but laziness.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

WHEEL WOES:

Sparco discontinued the Dakar wheel. Eurowise doesn't have any in stock. Eurowise also doesn't have any OZ Rally Raid wheels, which have the same width and offset. I've reached out to them for alternatives. Another possibility is to get my hands on a fifth Alutec Grip wheel and simply swap my summer tires with Blizzaks (I'm like 95% sure I want to go for them over Hakkapeliittas). I can't find a vendor for Alutec wheels either, but I'll see if my tire shop can recommend somebody.

Kastivich, did you buy the Alutec wheels as well? They're 18x8 +52, correct? Where did you get them from?

Yeah, that's right. I got them from Tire Rack. Seems like those are still in stock.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TODAY I learned the cayenne has rear fogs.

Turn lights on and pull this towards you, two clicks

Right facing fog light indicator illuminates on the dash

Tail lights go from this

to this

It's shameful it took me this long to realize. I swear I read the manual and searched Google for this exact thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait until you turn off the ignition with one of your turn signals still on and see what happens.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

On Monday the new T-slot plates come in,

Boom. .1 of an inch made all the difference. I can't tell you how pleased I am with how these fit, for such a silly little part.

Thinking about it harder, I might abandon the 3D printed roof rack supports and use sections of square tubing instead. I already have it and I know it's more than good enough. I still might make custom tpu wedges to help the straight rack conform to the curved roof of the car. I can still use the parts I've printed as a jig.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

-[x] Wheel ordered (Alutec Grip. Tire Rack had exactly 2 in stock, only in bright silver. They're on closeout, so I wonder if they're being discontinued. Anyway, I bought one. I'll call it my designated spare and maybe look into getting it painted to match the rest of my wheels after Alcan)
-[x] Tires ordered (Blizzak DM-V2 XL, 235/60R-18). Wheel and tires should be delivered Dec 27 or so
-[x] Ham Radio license granted

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just please for the love of god don't drive around with them on unless it's actually foggy. I see so many BMWs and Mercedes (and even Audis) driving around like that on a clear night.

Motronic posted:

Wait until you turn off the ignition with one of your turn signals still on and see what happens.

That's almost as good as the Subaru idiot switch. Just takes longer to kill the battery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Documentary evidence that I welded this evening.

Motronic posted:

Your flux is wet. Throw that spool in the trash.

I put down a couple test beads. The left two were with the old spool that Motronic told me to throw out. The one on the right was a new spool -- I _thought_ it was the spool I bought from the welding supply shop last week, but it's actually the one I bought at harbor freight at the same time that I bought the welder. It had just been sitting inside for a while. I'm reasonably pleased with the result, and I hope I can leave this spool in the welder over the weekend if I plan to keep working.

I discovered that my table, very rudely, was too small for my project, so I had to weld this joint out in space. It gave me an excuse to break out Every Clamp.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have just put it on the floor. Anyway.

Yesterday, I designed some TPU blocks to fit on top of the roof rack t-track profile.

Printed them overnight.

I think the fuzzyness means my TPU is wet (it's a theme...), but it's not really hurting anything. I can dry it out in the future. It's a 12 hour process, and I didn't feel like waiting 12 hours.

Either way, they fit nicely.

With that done, I can get this roof rack assembled this weekend. I stopped by harbor freight on the way home from work tonight thinking I'd get their mini horizontal band saw. Unfortunately, I misunderstood. It's the Bauer portaband + a stand, and together they cost as much as the central machinery horizontal band saw, which I thought about getting but couldn't stand the thought of assembling that thing and dealing with more cardboard boxes and styrofoam.

Somebody is selling a central machinery horizontal band saw for $75 on craigslist. Maybe I could rent a trailer tomorrow afternoon...

randomidiot posted:

Just please for the love of god don't drive around with them on unless it's actually foggy. I see so many BMWs and Mercedes (and even Audis) driving around like that on a clear night.

Of course. It's actually nice how Porsche did it -- you can't turn on the rear fogs without turning on the lights, and it yells at you if you leave the lights in the on position when you turn off the car. So if you've turned on the rear fogs, you have to turn them off before you leave the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Probably not worth a two hour round trip, but you are welcome to borrow my trailer.