Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Good News! It's both! The coil pack on #1 cylinder is cracked, and the shop says there's oil likely leaking from the valve cover gaskets.

Yeah, sorry. But that's like.....just one of those things on pretty much everything of this era from all manufacturers at this age. The coil packs were/are all poo poo and that engine is in the dawn of plastic valve covers and intakes. The big squooshy reusable gaskets on those plastic parts, which I really like compared to one time use flat gaskets that you have to scrape off, are just no longer squooshy after 20-ish years of under hood temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, sorry. But that's like.....just one of those things on pretty much everything of this era from all manufacturers at this age. The coil packs were/are all poo poo and that engine is in the dawn of plastic valve covers and intakes. The big squooshy reusable gaskets on those plastic parts, which I really like compared to one time use flat gaskets that you have to scrape off, are just no longer squooshy after 20-ish years of under hood temperatures.

Thanks, and no worries. Like I said, I'm really happy the problem revealed itself now when I already had an appointment scheduled at the shop than in two weeks when I'll be on the road to Yellowknife, NT.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks, and no worries. Like I said, I'm really happy the problem revealed itself now when I already had an appointment scheduled at the shop than in two weeks when I'll be on the road to Yellowknife, NT.

It's not a bad job but you probalby don't know how lucky you are to not be doing it. Like most things under that tiny hood, everything is so packed you spend a lot of time just removing things. The "what the HELL??" one for this job is that you need to disconnect the AC compressor clutch (which is on the bottom of the motor) to remove the driver's side valve cover because Hanz decided to route the wire directly over the front 1/4 of it and there is no slack. It should have been routed around the front with the PCV lines. And oh....those PCV lines are brittle as hell. You may be replacing the ones on the brake vacuum pump and/or to the front drivers valve cover area as they break when they're getting removed. Best of luck there. It may happen to them and it won't be their fault.

If you're me and looking at the procedure you spend a week figuring out just how much "while you're in there" you want to do because of that. I ended up pretty far down that rabbit hole up to and including "well if these rubber bits are bad......" and refreshed the entire suspension while I was at it. (it was like magic - feels brand new again and i couldn't even tell it needed it before, but after its done you can sure tell it did)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 10, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cayenne's fixed. They replaced the plugs, the coil packs, the valve cover gaskets, verified I had the metal coolant vent lines (which, in retrospect, I remember Kastivich telling me), checked the cardan shaft support bearing (it looks good but it's not the revised clamshell kind), checked all the fluids, and supplemented the washer fluid concentrate so it should be good to -20F. Altogether the bill is more than I hoped but less than I feared. I pick it up tonight.

In personal health news, my right foot started _absolutely killing_ me last week. I can walk, but barely. I got it X-Rayed today. Here's hoping I just strained a tendon or something. It's a good thing the car is mostly sorted.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Getting closer.

I spent a while today fighting with RabbitRally / the Rabbit GLO gps box. I'll fight with it a little more and maybe send them an email, but plan B is the Garmin GLO. It's so annoying that Android doesn't have the ability to change the refresh rate on its builtin GPS chip a feature desired by me and approximately 0.001% of other Android users.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Getting closer...

I fought with the location of the traction boards forever and decided I liked them right up front, mounted with Titan straps (I've bought so many drat Titan Straps from my local ace hardware). I don't love the current solution for the NATO cans. I have two purpose-built mounts for them, and I may yet pop rivet them to the roof rack.

The Rabbit GLO box works perfectly with my tablet. The guy who wrote Rabbit Rally got back to me with a suggestion that I turn off mobile data, and I bet that would have worked.

I'm 80% happy with the cockpit.

Left to right:
- Zoleo satellite communicator
- old Pixel 2 running the pilot display for Rabbit Rally
- Rabbit GLO, creates its own WiFi network that the other Rabbit devices are connected to
- "new" Pixel 5 running the Richta competitor app (not pictured because that's what I'm taking the photo on), connected to Garmin GLO in the trunk
- Samsung tablet running Rabbit Rally, on navigator's lap board

I can't remember if I posted a photo of the trunk yet.

I've been trying to organize tools such that everything I've done for the past few weeks has been using the trunk as a tool box.

Right side

Left side

Missing: tire repair strips

The organizer on the top right is for rechargeable batteries. I don't want to leave those outside below freezing.

Behind those are two instant crates. The left one has a snatch strap, a tow strap, a soft shackle, first aid kit, road flairs, etc. Right has 15L oil and 12 bottles of Royal Purple octane booster.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah and to organize all the technology:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I re-did the NATO can mounts.

Originally they were strapped down with nylon straps. I got it to the point where they weren't rattling around, but there was still a little too much wiggling around. I got a pair of Wavian fuel can mounts and pop-riveted them in place this evening. They feel rock solid.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Those aren't designed to take the shock load of a 35+ lb can in that direction, nor at the pop rivets. That's super unsafe.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Safety Dance posted:

Getting closer.

I spent a while today fighting with RabbitRally / the Rabbit GLO gps box. I'll fight with it a little more and maybe send them an email, but plan B is the Garmin GLO. It's so annoying that Android doesn't have the ability to change the refresh rate on its builtin GPS chip a feature desired by me and approximately 0.001% of other Android users.

I THINK you can now, as a dev, with GNSS full tracking
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/GnssMeasurementRequest.Builder#setFullTracking(boolean)

edit: You can force full GNSS and disable duty cycling in Developer Options -> Force Full GNSS measurements, way at the bottom of dev options.

fins fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 20, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Those aren't designed to take the shock load of a 35+ lb can in that direction, nor at the pop rivets. That's super unsafe.

Ok. gently caress. Four steel pop rivets should have a shear strength > 1000 lbs. What's the week point? The latch?

I'll see what I can come up with today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Ok. gently caress. Four steel pop rivets should have a shear strength > 1000 lbs. What's the week point? The latch?

I'll see what I can come up with today.

Steel rivets might be okay.....it still feels bad to me. How does it last over time and with vibration? Why not use regular hardware?

And yeah, that latch isn't designed for whatever shock load will be on it. I doubt they did any sort of real structural/material analysis on those because they just aren't intended to be used that way. The strap and how its attached may not even be designed for anything more than keeping a can in there from jostling out in a horizontal orientation. If you call and ask them I'm going to guess they will just flat out tell you they're not meant to be installed like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why not use regular hardware?

Clearance issues. I didn't have enough room for a bolt head in places where the mount touches one of the cross bars of my roof rack. Each can has four rivets, and each rivet provides 260lbs in shear and 310 lbs in tension.

I'll check them for any play at every fuel stop.

quote:

And yeah, that latch isn't designed for whatever shock load will be on it. I doubt they did any sort of real structural/material analysis on those because they just aren't intended to be used that way. The strap and how its attached may not even be designed for anything more than keeping a can in there from jostling out in a horizontal orientation. If you call and ask them I'm going to guess they will just flat out tell you they're not meant to be installed like that.

I hear what you're saying. I'm all out of good ideas at the moment, so I added a couple straps so each can will be positively retained if the latch fails.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Clearance issues. I didn't have enough room for a bolt head in places where the mount touches one of the cross bars of my roof rack. Each can has four rivets, and each rivet provides 260lbs in shear and 310 lbs in tension.

I'll check them for any play at every fuel stop.

I hear what you're saying. I'm all out of good ideas at the moment, so I added a couple straps so each can will be positively retained if the latch fails.

If nothing else, turn them around (eventually - not saying now). The bottom is surely a lot more sound than the strap and latch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Day 1 done. We're in Quesnel, BC. It's a cute little town. The first TSD section went great: I think we picked up a total of 10.6 points. The second was worse. My navigator went to adjust the odometer and fat fingered the new value, so it was off by 0.2 miles for half of the stage. They may or may not drop that stage because a lot of folks were delayed by a train. I'm trying to take photos, but I'm also trying to drive. It's a tough balance.

The car burned 36.153 gallons of gas today. According to the official mileage we went 485.80 miles. In reality it was probably a little more than that, but today's fuel economy was 13.437 mpg, which means my range on a tank is 322 miles, or 456 miles if I use my fuel cans.

One liter of oil consumed. Total oil remaining: 14 liters.

Some choice photos

This 957 is running immediately ahead of us. They're good guys.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 22, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

:banjo:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh hey at the end of day 1 we're in fifth place. No pressure.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Safety Dance posted:

That is awesome!

I am so very jealous.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Good luck and enjoy the rally.

Any other interesting car choices besides that Porsche?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oil update: I topped the crank case off this morning. Total oil used: 1.5l. oil remaining: 13.5l

c355n4 posted:

Good luck and enjoy the rally.

Any other interesting car choices besides that Porsche?

I'll post some more photos tonight, but there's a couple bmw 3 serieses and a mini clubman. And of course a 73 Mercury Capri, but they were the overall winner in 2020 so I think they know what they're doing.

There are two Ineos Grenadiers running. They're really neat trucks!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 22, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Day 2 is in the books. I'm at a hotel in Peace River, Alberta. There was a mixup with our room, so after a lot of messing around the manager put us in two king suites because he was sick of looking at us. I'm not complaining.

The TSD was weird today. There was a scoring issue because our app never picked up the car zero time, so we wound up being late 34 minutes to each checkpoint. I've emailed and hopefully our score will be fixed, because we earned that 24.7, dammit.

517.613 miles according to the route book, and we burned 31.701 gallons of gas. That comes to 16.328 mpg. That's a lot better than yesterday's 13 and change, and I achieved that by not exceeding 110kph. Also, flat prairie roads.

0 L of oil added to the crankcase today. I checked on the dipstick and the level is at the "A" in MAX. I'm reasonably happy with that.

Tomorrow is a 639 mile day to Yellowknife, NT. I will be exceeding 110kph and probably consuming some oil.

Select photos:

This Jeep kicked up a rock that took a big chunk out of our windshield.

Leaving the BC mountains

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 23, 2024

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This is awesome!

I'm particularly thrilled by the middle manager mobiles being kitted out with knobby tires, giant lights and permanently mounted tow points.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's all on-highway right? its the long distances, limited services between cities, and the winter weather making up the challenge?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's all on-highway right? its the long distances, limited services between cities, and the winter weather making up the challenge?

None of it is off-road thus far, although we do have an ice race and an ice road leg scheduled in the next couple days. The TSD sections are on rural roads or forest service roads. Those can get pretty twisty and icy, but they're still technically maintained roads.

You're right, the rest of it is following the route book, planning fuel stops and contingencies, and handling the weather. We should get some proper snow and negative temperatures today, I'm very excited!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

639 miles in the can today. We left sunny, 41 degree Peace River, Alberta this morning and rolled into frigid, snowy Yellowknife, Northwest Territory around 8pm. We spent most of the day driving with one of the other Cayennes, and by the end of the day a group of six of us were all together. Shortly after we crossed into NT it started snowing, and then snowing hard. Periodic whiteout conditions, the road was slick, the whole deal. The sun set around 5, so 3 hours of that was in the dark as well. Exciting times.

I nearly hosed us over this morning because I wanted to install a battery tender lead on the battery. In doing so, I cross-threaded the bolt that closes the positive battery terminal. I was able to beg an m6 bolt and nut off of someone else and get us going again.

We somehow screwed up today's TSD and were 8 seconds late to the first two controls. Real annoying, but that's rally. Our score puts us solidly mid-pack. I think if we focus on the fundamentals we can dig our way out of this hole a little bit.

Ice race (more like time trials) tomorrow on the Great Slave Lake. I'm stoked for that. Also stoked for an easy day where I'm only driving ~100 miles.

I didn't fill up the gas tank when we rolled into Yellowknife, but I did consume 32.841 gallons over the first 448.4 miles, for 13.653mpg. Oil was on the minimum line, so I put in another liter. 12.5L remain.

Not a ton of photos today. They're mostly samey pictures of a road with increasing amounts of snow, and in the latter part of the day I was too focused on driving. Here's one at the indian cabins trading post.

A rock took a big chunk out of my windshield

One of the Ineos Grenadiers

Mercury Capri

Waiting to use the bridge over the Mackenzie River

These guys were troubleshooting problems with their fuel pump in Fort Providence. They think it was just overheating because they ran their tank too low.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Light day today in Yellowknife. We started out with an ice race. Scores haven't been posted yet, but the best I heard on the radio was 2:16. We placed in the 2:30 range according to my videos. The Blizzaks have awesome traction, but the traction control got bogged down in some of the corners that had a bunch of loose snow. One of the other Cayennes tried it with traction control off and spun out on the exit of the first corner.

Not a very good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lpG4tg5IU

The two extreme controls today were dawdles. One 30 mile loop through a first nations village that has an ice road in the winter, and a 90 mile out-and-back on the haul road that leads to the Ice Road Truckers ice road. We saw a fox, though!

My battery had a little bit of trouble starting the car this morning. I realized I left my drop light with a heater bulb at home. I plugged in my battery tender tonight so hopefully it will keep the battery in the best shape possible to start the car tomorrow.

A pair of Cayennes. The black Cayenne was in the shop on Wednesday with a thermostat issue. They caught up with us last night in Yellowknife.

Lining up for the ice race:

The fox we saw

Edit: Oh, this was neat! I bought a Super Elastic Signal Stalk from a company called Signal Stuff for my ham radio. This morning I noticed it had bent backwards like this. I figured I snagged it on something and emailed a photo to the manufacturer because I thought it was cool. They got back to me: apparently it's made of nitinol, and it gets droopy when it's super cold. It will straighten itself back out when it gets a little warmer.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 25, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife is in the ER and she's scheduled to have her gall bladder removed today. I think the responsible decision is to look for flights home.

gently caress.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I spoke with my wife and my mother in law and they think it's okay if I carry on rather than abandoning my car at long term airport parking for unknown weeks. My next good opportunity to fly home isn't until Wednesday. Fingers crossed, everything will work out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh poo poo I hope she's doing well and that's one hell of a decision to have to make/lots of stress no matter which way you go. Sorry to hear it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

it gets droopy when it's super cold.

same

e: welp now im going to hell for not reading the next few posts first

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

same

e: welp now im going to hell for not reading the next few posts first

I laughed.

My wife is getting her gall bladder removed now. It basically explains the symptoms she's been having for the past few weeks. She was at a medical conference, started throwing up, and her boss and some of the best urologists in the country made her promise to go to the ER when she got back to Seattle.

We talked about it and even if I had retired this morning and gone straight to the airport, I wouldn't have gotten home until tomorrow.

In other rally news, today has not been my day.

I tried to pass a tractor trailer, he didn't see me, I drove on road that didn't exist and stuffed it into a snow bank. One of the other cayennes got me pulled out. My navigator has more photos, which I will share later

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Woof, that's a hell of a time. On the plus side, gallbladder removal is about as routine as routine gets these days.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Photos as promised.

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgUHS1PTyw

My navigator is not a good videographer.

Edit: when we crashed, a disturbing amount of snow flashed to steam on my radiator / intercooler and I was convinced I'd destroyed something serious. Good news, I didn't! Just cracked my bumper cover.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 26, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The hotel wifi is tremendously bad in Whitehorse, so I'm still working on uploading today's photos.

Yellowknife to Fort Nelson was a 600+ mile slog. Fort Nelson to Whitehorse was also a 600+ mile slog, but at least it was pretty. We're up in the Rockies now: we crossed the continental divide and entered the Yukon Territory four or five times because of how the highway twists. After the second time, they stopped putting up big signs.

We sucked at this morning's TSD. Picked up 40-some points. I got a Late 7 while the computer was telling me 0, so I adjusted to hold -7 and was told I was Early 4. Eventually I got the car to where holding -2 to -4 was giving me decent scores. We decided to just zero our odometer calibration and recalibrate it tomorrow.

The transit was beautiful, like I said. We're finally getting into the middle of nowhere and having to plan fuel stops. I'm glad I bought two cases of octane booster, because a few towns completely lack premium fuel. We saw so many bison. I took photos, but I'm still waiting for the hotel wifi to catch up. I'll try to post bison pics in the morning.

On the oil front, I added another liter today. I think that means 11.5L remain? On my mechanic's suggestion, I added a bottle of Liqui Moly Ceratec to the crankcase. The rate of oil consumption has really gone down noticeably. I'm putting in roughly a liter every 1000 miles rather than a liter every 500 like I've been doing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The driving conditions yesterday, for a solid 10 hours

Bison!

They're huge. One was chilling out on the shoulder of the highway. I almost stopped and took photos of that one.

I did not bring a sticker for the Welcome to the Yukon sign

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We're on the side of the Alaska Highway a few miles from the border helping the rally master fix a broken heater hose in his Toyota Sequoia. On the good side, he's got starlink so I can shitpost. One of my broken screwdrivers is now plugging the rear heater core on that truck. Photos to come.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How's the wife's gallbladder?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

bolind posted:

How's the wife's gallbladder?

Thanks for asking! It's gone. They had to go back in and remove a stone from her common biliary duct the next day. She was discharged yesterday and she sent me a photo of our cat sitting on her lap.

We reentered the US and got into Fairbanks last night. I got a funny customs guy who reacted with mock horror when I said I like ketchup chips, but I distracted him by talking about Cheesies. We ate a late lunch at a restaurant called Fast Eddie's in Tok, Alaska, which the route book says is the best place in town. I don't doubt it, but it is a very small town.

Yesterday's TSDs went much better than they had in the past. The first was annoying -- we had the option to start at 8 or 9 am, with the caveat that Richta would score the early group as being 60 minutes early to every checkpoint. We did that and got confused if we were actually early or late, and over a series of four checkpoints we nearly doubled our street error, from 3, to 8, to 15, to 29 seconds. Once it dawned on me I got back on track, but the damage was done.

The second TSD was normal and we honestly did pretty well. My navigator got lost and gave me the same instruction twice (left on third St), but it didn't make sense in the second context so we didn't make a wrong turn, just wound up taking a 30s time allowance because I didn't want to speed in a neighborhood to catch up.

Today a group of people are going up to Coldfoot, a 500 mile round trip. It's optional. I originally wanted to go, but after the last few days I reevaluated and decided what I wanted to do more was stare at the ceiling for five hours.

I'll post photos from yesterday a little later. I'm just waking up now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

As promised.

Yesterday's first TSD ended at a boat launch. It was a dramatic scene.

Sorry about your car, Kastivich. It's got some light scarring.

Visibility was pretty miserable at times leaving Whitehorse.

But as we got up toward Destruction Bay, views were jaw dropping.

The cloud in the distance is the rallymaster's Toyota Sequoia. They broke a plastic tee going to their heater cores by taking a bump in the road too fast.

Luckily I brought most of my garage and a Porsche mechanic from Calgary brought most of his. He had an angle grinder, a torch, and a BFH, three things I sorely lacked.

Broken screwdriver (I tried to turn it into a pick)

He's field expediting a plug out of a socket extension to block off the rear heater core.

Broken screwdriver was useful after all.

A truck driver pulled over to see if we were okay. Nice guy. I caught up with him at a gas station after lunch and thanked him for stopping.

Our first view of the oil pipeline.

Edit: on the topic of light scarring, I made a quick and dirty stitch repair on one of the bigger cracks this afternoon in the hotel parking lot in Fairbanks. Protip: leave hand warmers in your pockets and grab onto them every few minutes while you work.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's supposed to get down to -31 F tonight in Fairbanks. I have my battery tender plugged in and a battery warmer loosely draped around the engine to hopefully keep the oil liquid in the morning. We met a dispatcher for a trucking company at the restaurant this evening -- she has some teams a little worried that the gas stations around Delta Junction will be shut down because they're too cold. The reality is we have nearly enough range to complete the whole day without refueling, and I need to empty my gas cans before I can ship the car home anyway.

The dispatcher promised us "snowing and blowing" tomorrow as well. It looks like we'll see some snowfall around Delta Junction.

Imgur is being difficult but pretend I posted a screenshot of the Windy app predicting snowfall south of Delta Junction and just getting into Valdez. It'll be warmer at least. Nearly freezing!

Edit: the dispatcher described her trucks as hauling "sailboat fuel" from one place to another, and I watched as six people slowly got the joke one after another. the trucks are pulling empty trailers, so they're carrying air

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 29, 2024