Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

The Mystery Of The Druids is a point-and-click adventure that was released in 2001 and developed by House Of Tales. We play as Brett Halligan, an inspector at Scotland Yard, who is tasked to investigate a serial killer whose latest victim has just been found. These killers have been dubbed "Skeleton Murders" and this mystery may even involve some druids.

LP Details

This will be a VLP and I will be recording commentary live and unscripted. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care but I will aim to have at least one video up a week.

Let's Play: The Mystery of the Druids

Case File: https://imgur.com/gallery/yXl4s4J

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't know why you do this to yourself, think of your family! They have to live knowing about the self abuse.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

By popular demand posted:

I don't know why you do this to yourself, think of your family! They have to live knowing about the self abuse.

This feels like a step up after playing through The Walking Dead: Season Two and Armikrog.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this game rocks and i don't mean that even slightly ironically

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

God, I haven't seen that dumb fuckin face in like a decade.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

No one knows who they were... or what they were doing.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Fajita Queen posted:

God, I haven't seen that dumb fuckin face in like a decade.

From thirteen years ago:

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/mystery-druids-art/1/

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/mystery-druids/2/

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
For as bad a reputation as this game has, we've already seen you survive worse. Best of luck on your journey.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The game that gave the face icon to countless druid characters in RPGs throughout the years.

If I remember correctly, the protagonist of this is a massive rear end in a top hat even by adventure game standards.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

The game that gave the face icon to countless druid characters in RPGs throughout the years.

If I remember correctly, the protagonist of this is a massive rear end in a top hat even by adventure game standards.

Yes, yes he is. But I won't go into specifics, for fear of possibly venturing into spoiler territory.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

From what I've read about this game it garnered average to fairly good reviews (Edit: It did get panned by a few reviewers). It definitely has its flaws and a (probably) deserved reputation but its fairly average for adventure game standards. However, I have heard that there are one or two cat moustache puzzles that will crop up at some point. I thought this would be a nice palette cleanser before stepping off the deep end again.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's more my dislike of the protagonist than a dislike for the common quality adventure game.
But Jack Orlando is a worse person probably, and Mike Dawson and many more adventure protagonists who suck.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

DMorbid posted:

No one knows who they were... or what they were doing.

lol

Ok so this is actually a point and click puzzle/adventure? The boxart always gave a heave 'mobily hack and slash strategy game' vibe..

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Absolutely not, this is 2001 and we're refusing to believe that adventure games are doing new things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vitamin Me posted:

lol

Ok so this is actually a point and click puzzle/adventure? The boxart always gave a heave 'mobily hack and slash strategy game' vibe..

Yeah, I was surprised when it came up in the general adventure games thread a bit ago, I didn't know what genre it actually was, but I would've bet money on it being something more action-y. I'm also surprised it wasn't universally panned on release, I only know about it from the memes so I assumed it was just terrible from the start.

Anyways, glad the LP showed up, looking forward to checking the video out later today.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is indeed a point-and-click graphic adventure game that was released in 2001. It sports a glorious 640x480 resolution which is stretched on the monitor to give it the illusion of widescreen.

The makers of this game went on to develop many more adventure games. One of them was SSLP'd by SelenicMartian back in 2014 (The OP contains spoilers for this game): https://lparchive.org/15-Days/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wow, even knowing ahead of time it was a point-and-click game, I would never have guessed it started as a snarkily antagonistic procedural. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes on from that perspective.

And man, it's so very much of its time, I wish I knew how it played back in the day. Like, the intro is going for this big disturbing scene, but all I can think now is that's just a pile of dancingbaby.gifs and it takes me right out of it.
https://i.imgur.com/p5Zk1uv.mp4

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Awww shiiit this game is a real wonderland of amazing and weird voice acting. The source of the face that launched a thousand memes, glorious!

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I remember starting this game thinking that everybody was weirdly hostile to Halligan but after about 30 minutes of play time I quickly revised that opinion to people weren't being nearly hostile enough
and he probably should have been fired ages ago.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like how you can just post that stupid picture in the sandbox and everyone knows what they're getting into with it.

What was the problem specifically with The Walking Dead Season 2? I've seen enough information on the side to make me not want to actually see it myself, so I'm a bit interested in the opinion here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

anilEhilated posted:

Hopkins, FBI

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Keldulas posted:

I like how you can just post that stupid picture in the sandbox and everyone knows what they're getting into with it.

What was the problem specifically with The Walking Dead Season 2? I've seen enough information on the side to make me not want to actually see it myself, so I'm a bit interested in the opinion here.

I wasn't expecting that kind of reaction. I knew not everyone would get it but if you know, you know. Maybe I should have put a little blurb in there but it's got people talking at least.

Season 2 wasn't a bad game as such. It had a lot of good elements to it, there were some good storylines, characters and voice acting. But at the same time, they ramped up the QTE's up to 11 and there were endless streams of forced conversations to drive the story on relentlessly. Maybe it's my bias from the first season as I do understand that the developers are trying to push the series in a different direction so as to differentiate things. There were a lot of moments in the first season where you could just kick back and breathe a little bit, talk to people and look around at the scenery. These moments were few and far between in the second season.

The second season also borrowed elements very heavily from the OG material and the first season, it was also a season where the choices that you make really don't matter. The first season gave the illusion of a lot of things but there were many choices that would affect how the whole game plays out. I enjoyed it for the most part but the last couple of episodes were a chore to play through with the storyline and character arcs. The ending was actually really refreshing and emotional, which is also something really infuriating as I know how the choices made affect the beginning of the third season. Spoiler: They don't.

I will start the third season in the new year at some point. I'm also aiming to have the next update for this game up over the weekend.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm playing more of this game... How did these people qualify for their jobs?!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anyhow, something slightly more on-topic: Halligan's favorite book John Sinclair, Ghost Hunter is actually a real thing. There is, in fact, a lot of them; it is a series of German pulp horror stories that's been running since the seventies.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 30, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It feels like I should link the fantastic LordMandalore video about the game, but it also spoils the majority of the game so I'd suggest waiting until later.

But from what I can remember, people are in for a journey. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i know this by reputatiom and memes only. looking forward to actually seeing it in action for once

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Truly a game worthy of... something in the adventure games pantheon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So far I'm actually pretty impressed by the VA work. The good moments stand out in contrast to the terrible; the intro FMV was actually pretty good...until they had to animate people.

The dialogue is perplexingly designed; there's a lot of very, very dumb questions that are effectively dead ends. It's worse than a lot of similar dialogue from the era imo. Conversely, a lot of the individual musings from Brent are at least decent, and I've got no objections to the VA work so far. The abrasiveness, though- everyone is handling the protagonist like he went on a racist tirade at the precinct christmas party and they can't figure out how to fire him.

Brent's run animation is hilarious and it's making me look forward to what we get later on.

edit: upon review that casefile is pretty interesting too; I'm curious about Striker and whether the body in the first case was missing a couple other bones in addition to the skull.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, something slightly more on-topic: Halligan's favorite book John Sinclair, Ghost Hunter is actually a real thing. There is, in fact, a lot of them; it is a series of German pulp horror stories that's been running since the seventies.

Open Skies, Closed Minds is also a real book; I suspect the other paranormal books might be too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 2, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Halligan visits Epping Forest to perform an extensive investigation of these brutal murders and then follows up with his findings.

I was debating with myself on when to record this part, I was thinking about waiting until Monday as it's my day off but I didn't want to overthink things. I thought that I'd give it a try now and even though this isn't the smoothest of recordings, I tried to do my best to make sense of things, to try to work out the whys and what the hells? This is one of the most bonkers segments that I've recorded for a while. I try to put logic into what I'm doing in the game and trying to connect things in the game but how can I make sense of what is happening here?

I apologise in advance if I laughed a little too loudly at one point, a particular line hit me out of nowhere. It happened with another line during a previous recording attempt that went awry, but I didn't go down that route in this recording*. I discovered early on that some conversation choices generally go down the same routes. I'm trying different lines during the recording just to keep things a little bit more interesting and some unexpected lines are popping up. I do a practice run before recording so I can get an idea of looking like I know what I'm doing and also to get an idea of timings and such.

I've LP'd a lot of comedy LPs and have been able to suppress laughter for the most part as I'm already expecting the jokes and/or wackiness.

*Halligan asks the Bobby at Epping Forest if the jogger decided to leave the bones there while out for his morning jog.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This game is incredible, I feel like my reaction to this Scotland Yard investigation over the course of the video can best be summarized as :psyduck::psypop::psyboom:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Did Halligan just murder a begger for 60 pences? :psyduck:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I was looking forward to your reaction on the events of this episode, because from your comments it was clear you don't actually know much about Mystery of the Druids.

I'm fairly satisfied so far hahaha.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

This game is incredible, I feel like my reaction to this Scotland Yard investigation over the course of the video can best be summarized as :psyduck::psypop::psyboom:

Scotland Yard is the home of London's finest police officers and their Met Moonshine™ for nearly 100 years.

Marluxia posted:

Did Halligan just murder a begger for 60 pences? :psyduck:

It's very possible, although we don't know if the beggar died after his body went into shock from severe alcohol poisoning. To be fair on Halligan, I believe that this is a case of manslaughter rather than murder.

Keldulas posted:

I was looking forward to your reaction on the events of this episode, because from your comments it was clear you don't actually know much about Mystery of the Druids.

I'm fairly satisfied so far hahaha.

This is my first time playing through the game and I am genuinely astounded by some of the events and dialogue that I have seen so far. This game is a gem!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It's very possible, although we don't know if the beggar died after his body went into shock from severe alcohol poisoning. To be fair on Halligan, I believe that this is a case of manslaughter rather than murder.
It is extremely premeditated though. That sequence is kind of infamous and rightly so.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

It is extremely premeditated though. That sequence is kind of infamous and rightly so.

I stand corrected.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"Halligan, you don't have to kill homeless people to use a phone! This is why you stopped getting invited to the precinct holiday parties!"

I continue to be astounded by how pointlessly abstruse and snippy the dialogue is. The phone lookup is a great example- why the hell do you need the player to listen to the protagonist reading through a phone book.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

won't you all feel like idiots when the beggar turns out to have been Mike Dawson Jr. And that killing him was the only way to stop Darkseed 3.
Bloody ingrates ITT.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When this case is over Halligan will be assigned to catch the "Beggar Butcherer".

So, what's next? Does Halligan need to get a pen but he can't use any at the office, so he goes to Cambridge to push an old lady in front of a car so he can distract an office worker sitting at a nearby cafe?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I watched someone else LP this a while back and it is a treat. It starts by looking a bit weird in places but otherwise not too notable and then Halligan goes on to do wild things even for adventure game protagonists, not least of which is poisoning that beggar for phone money. It's good you're playing semi-blind, I wouldn't have it any other way when it means the game can catch you off-guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Pretty funny how everyone in the office hates eachother..or they just all hate Brent. Some deadpan comedy with the 'be annoying then ask for change' and the 'can i take the scissors' with that other detective.

Also..'would you like some apple snapps? it's my ..own brand' lol