Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And he poisoned the one bum who's too good to be drinking clearly bad alcohol, now they'll have to import more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin Me posted:

Pretty funny how everyone in the office hates eachother..or they just all hate Brent.
For a sec I thought I stumbled into a The Office thread there.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

By popular demand posted:

And he poisoned the one bum who's too good to be drinking clearly bad alcohol, now they'll have to import more!

Well no, it's less that and more the bum might be down on his luck but even he knows drinking pure ethanol can kill you. And then Halligan just mixes his apple cider with the pure ethanol in front of the bum, and he goes, sure, seems legit,

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Michael Molloy wouldn't have even hesitated!
loving patron saint of all winos he is.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've just finished a test run for another update. I almost wish I was going into this blind as I lost it again at something else in this part of the game. There's going to be a bit of a lore dump in the next update and it's very likely that I've got the wrong end of the stick with the plot. I need to listen again during the actual recordings to see if I'm misunderstanding things or mishearing things. I'll talk about it when it in recording and in the update as I don't want to spoil anything right now. I may attempt a recording either before or after work tomorrow.

I checked up on the homeless guy, he's still breathing so we're safe from being arrested for murder just yet.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
We're off to a good start with today's attempt at a recording:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Halligan sits down and relaxes for a while and then bothers an old man who just wants a quiet life. I apologise in advance for laughing during a serious moment, something happened that I was neither expecting nor prepared for.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I love how quickly we escalate from "it could be some modern-day edgelord cultists reading up on the old druid rites and copying them" to "it must be the work of the Actual Druids, led by their magic 1000-year-old murderbaby squad"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

We're off to a good start with today's attempt at a recording:

Don't be alarmed, Halligan's just ascending to his next stage of existence.

(assholish energy being)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ok, having watched the video, Mr. Blake going full Kuato cosplay while giving a serious lore dump is the funniest thing I've seen in a bit. I did a legit double take when I was mostly listening to the video and happened to look back at it right in the middle of that scene.

I'm not sure from the comments if that was a one-time glitch during this run or if it's repeatable due to poor production, either way it's great.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I seem to remember the old LPs suffering some errors but it's possibly worsened by a newer version of Windows* than the game was built for.

*Or drivers or hardware... Nothing is truly future proof let alone bad games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I don't remember this happening in the older LP I watched but I'd argue this scene was improved with the bug despite all tension from the very serious discussion of the druidic plot to take over the world disappearing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure what engine they're using. I downloaded the config file so I could tweak the graphics and the only options to choose from were 640x480 16bpp and 640x480 32bpp. I'm pretty sure it's rendering in software mode instead of making full use of the graphics drivers.

I've got a bad cold at the moment so there's going to be a bit of a delay in the next recording. I decided to play the next section of the game in preparation though and it's going to continue on being all kinds of crazy.

The next location is going to be the area where we can soft-lock the game. I found this out the hard way as I ended up doing it by accident and had to reload the game. There's also going to be a puzzle full of jank and a sequence where I really have no idea what the hell, how or why? You'll know it when you see it and when it does happen I'm going to need someone to explain it to me as I have absolutely no idea.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Halligan arrives in Carmors and bothers the local people and their pets.

I apologise for the delay between updates, I'm still recovering from this horrible cold but felt well enough to record something this morning. It took longer than intended as I restarted numerous times due to voice cracks and fluffing things I was trying to talk about. I also had to restart due to a Jehovah's Witness knocking on my front door :argh: There are a few fluffs in this video but I was just happy to get to the end of the recording in one piece. This update also took longer to get up as OBS, for some reason, isn't registering that a cutscene is taking place so I'm having to go in with Xsplit to record these segments again and edit them into the original recording. I'm a little paranoid now that I've missed some small cutscenes in previous updates...

It's in this area where it's entirely possible to soft-lock the game. There's a couple of lines of dialogue that disappear if you select the third line, but there's another branch further along that if you miss it's also gone completely too. These lines of dialogue only return after you've used the critical information where it needs to be used.

As much as I do appreciate that you can speak to some characters again and choose different lines of dialogue, there are some plot devices and hints buried down certain paths that should be included in the conversation regardless of what you choose. The whole salt completely eluded me in my test run as I didn't trigger the dialogue for it, it turns out that it was just bullshit anyway but still...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What makes an unfixed bug of this degree worse is how the entire puzzle's goal is to acquire that most difficult to find resource, salt.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I would like to why Halligan thought that grinding up salt on top of a tombstone with a murder victims thigh bone was a good idea.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They could've made it part of the magic, but they were lazy and uninspired.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I remember that game, my boss at my first job made a shrine to it in one of the front window displays.

E: Evidently it worked pretty well for him too.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 15, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Halligan delivers the bad news to Arthur Blake and then returns to Scotland Yard to further his investigation. Halligan also gives the chief an update on the investigation which goes as well as you may expect it too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The wino refusing to have anything more to do with Halligan cements him as the smartest person in the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not sure how I mixed up the extention number, it's been a few days since I played this segment and my memory was a little fuzzy with it. I was also trying to remember the dialogue choices as several of the branches went down a dead end and you would need to start the conversation up again.

After further reqding I've found out that you can also dial #*# and that will work aswell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That whole wino thing is so weird tonally. I laughed when Halligan was being yelled at about it back at the office, but then I got mad when he was talking to the wino like "C'mon buddy, I needed your pocket change. What's a little poisoning among friends?". I just have no feel for what the writers were intending with his character.

Also, I couldn't get over this model pose and animation going on for minutes on end:

I know we're still relatively early in 3D gaming, but could we not do better than this? My neck was aching in sympathy the whole time!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The gif you made is legitimately horrifying, I'm not gonna lie.

And yeah, Detective Halligan, everyone! This game overall is very weird because you have to wonder how many drugs the developers were on with this one. It's not just specific programming logic in having to do steps in a very specific order because the steps here don't make any sense on a basic level.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I get that they wanted to be varied with the character models but they put Janet's at the most awkward of angles. I was going to say something during a recording but I don't even know where to begin.

Keldulas posted:

The gif you made is legitimately horrifying, I'm not gonna lie.

And yeah, Detective Halligan, everyone! This game overall is very weird because you have to wonder how many drugs the developers were on with this one. It's not just specific programming logic in having to do steps in a very specific order because the steps here don't make any sense on a basic level.

This was the developers first game so there was a lot of room for errors. But still, there's a lot of mental gymnastics involving some of the puzzles so far.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 22, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can very clearly remember that awkward time in the late 90's\ early 00's where everyone rushed to use 3d animation even when they were not great at it.

there's a reason so many indy titles these days went back to pixel drawn graphics.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:siren: GORE WARNING :siren: You may want to stop watching at the 20:00 mark if you're squeamish :siren:

Now that the gore warning is out of the way it's time to meet Lord Sinclair, who invites us to dinner and to be his guest for the night. He even wants to be our friend. What a nice guy!

By popular demand posted:

I can very clearly remember that awkward time in the late 90's\ early 00's where everyone rushed to use 3d animation even when they were not great at it.

there's a reason so many indy titles these days went back to pixel drawn graphics.

This was the way things where going, unfortunately. I've spoken about this extensively before, especially in the Simon The Sorcerer 3D LP. A lot of developers, especially established ones, weren't interested in making the transition to 3D during this period but their hands were forced. Simon 3D was originally developed in 2D to almost completion but no publisher was interested in taking it on despite two previously successful games, even Broken Sword was forced into 3D against the developer's wishes as no one was interested in taking on a 2D adventure game.

It did create some interesting releases and a few franchises made some success out of it in the long run, but it was definitely a dark time for adventure games.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

-so yeah, we're the ancient baddies you're looking for; also you're one of us now because you're eating our latest human sacrifice

Brent Halligan, Supercop: *continues blithely stuffing his face*

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It will surprise exactly no one to discover that the government-level cabal's brilliant plan of forcing a cop to participate in cannibalism at gunpoint would not work as well as they might have hoped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

So Sinclair's plan was to stop Halligan at the gate, then wait for him to dick around with the groundskeeper and break in through the electric fence...just to bring him inside anyway? Okay :psyduck:

SatansOnion posted:

-so yeah, we're the ancient baddies you're looking for; also you're one of us now because you're eating our latest human sacrifice

Brent Halligan, Supercop: *continues blithely stuffing his face*

Also this ^^^

I will say, though, the ritual sacrifice scene managed to get a legit "ewwww" reaction from me, even with that level of 3D character models and the "whoever was in the office that day" quality voice acting for the victim.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'd like to know exactly what made Halligan abandon all of his principles.

"Join us Detective, you'll never have to pay for pitza ever again!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

"and we're cool with you poisoning all the homeless people you want!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure he had any principles to begin with.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I can't wait until they induct their next member.

"This is the newly promoted Field Marshal Myers. Cardinal Stephenson. Duke Sutcliffe, now the Queen's closest advisor. Mr Smothers of the worldwide food corporation, who has recently taken over the worldwide drink corporation. And here we have Detective Halligan, who can't afford to buy his own toothbrush."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

nana, I could still buy that if Halligan turned out to be amenable they'd buy his way to a cushy position that allows them some control over the Scotland Yard.

It's not like his co-workers seem to be that much better.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

hell, I bet The Circle could more or less purchase Halligan's loyalty outright by covering his phone bill, giving him an infinite pizza budget, and getting him his own pair of scissors

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Melanie is the star of this video, she arrives at Lord Sinclair's mansion in an effort to track down Halligan.

I made a couple of errors in this video. The first one was a slight confusion in the only two puzzles in the entire video. The other error was saying that I only had one question, I asked many questions in this video and there are even more questions that I didn't ask.

The curse of Xsplit happened again during this recording so I had to re-record a small section (14:56-17:17) which is slightly noticeable with the mouse cursor, I wasn't able to make it seamless due to the dialogue. I didn't re-record the commentary during this part as it wasn't really important. I was reiterating why some games only give you one dialogue option during conversations as it's not really a choice, it's just an unnecessary pause in the dialogue. I've spoken about this in other LPs as it's a fairly common occurrence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Me realizing Chekhov's Skull is about to pay off

Also, I'm very excited to follow up on this whole "Yes, time travel could feasibly exist and likely factors into Sinclair's plans, but who can say for sure? Anyway, back to work :effort:" plot thread :f5:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That butler is intelligent enough to work at Scotland Yard.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies for the lack of an update lately. I'm currently fighting off tonsilitis and not really feeling up to the task. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't rush yourself on our accounts, but feel better soon anyways.