Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

you should have sacrificed your tonsils by now, just burn them on the altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Halligan visits the library and manages to annoy everyone inside.

It's been a while. I'm definitely on the mend and I was planning to update a couple of days ago but I forgot to unmute the mic when it came to recording. I'm not sure why it was muted in the first place but I'm sure there was some reason for it. It's a good sign that things are back to normal again.

By popular demand posted:

you should have sacrificed your tonsils by now, just burn them on the altar.

I was thinking about saving them for Halligan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*house explodes in targeted attack*
"Where should we go, Scotland Yard?"
"Ugh no, my dumb stinky boss is there. Anyway, let's time travel to solve this"

Game continues to deliver :allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Most writers would consider stealing a library book to be below a Scotland Yard detective, not this game's writers though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

By popular demand posted:

Most writers would consider stealing a library book to be below a Scotland Yard detective, not this game's writers though.
He already stole literal pennies from a homeless man by spiking apple juice with lab alcohol, clearly nothing is beneath this man.

Also I love how his natural first reaction to seeing a car is just "let's poke this coat hangar through the window and try to break in". Like Halligan is absolutely a barely-functional sociopath.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 18, 2024

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Halligan and Melanie visit an incredibly large and unusual historical site and it's completely devoid of life and any form of health & safety. We also get to hear more of Melanie's backstory and feel even more sorry for her now that she's embroiled in Halligan's shenanigans.

This is a short video as it's the final part of this chapter of the game. I did try to record this earlier but I was having issues with background noise. My voice seems a little low in this video but my kid is in bed a couple of doors down so I was trying to keep my voice down a little more than usual, I'm audible but there is a noticeable difference.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The dialog in this game... :rolleyes:

"Well I guess we can't go back now"

"Why can't we go back?"

"The bridge collapsed, and it's all your fault, Melanie"

"Oh, right, I guess we can't go back"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I don't want to spoil anything with this segment but the demise of Brent and Melanie may have been greatly exaggerated. Also, watch me (not) mess up one of the most convoluted and time-consuming puzzles in the game and start it all over. I powered through the second attempt as fast as I could, even though I didn't even need to. I'm good at games, honest.

This was my third attempt at recording this segment. I abandoned the first and completed a second but I took even longer with the above-mentioned puzzle as I hadn't made any notes and my memory turns to mush while recording so I kept needing to click on things to remind myself of what was what.

I was having some issues with the encoding of this video. I was having graphical glitches at different points with each different encoded video. I think that this game is cursed!

Commander Keene posted:

The dialog in this game... :rolleyes:

"Well I guess we can't go back now"

"Why can't we go back?"

"The bridge collapsed, and it's all your fault, Melanie"

"Oh, right, I guess we can't go back"

I particularly enjoyed Melanie's goofy smiling face and extremely relaxed gait as everything was collapsing around her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh, that puzzle is the exact kind of thing that makes me tear my hair out of I had to solve it myself.

Oh well, at least the story continues to be entertaining, I like how everyone is somewhere between blasé and pissed off at being caught up in a time travel event. Like, less "I'm existentially terrified because my entire concept of the universe has been upended", and more "we're a thousand years ago?? uggghhh, this sucks :rolleyes:". Maybe they just wound up in a medieval themed escape room, I guess that should be my long-shot guess for unexpected plot twists.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, that puzzle is the exact kind of thing that makes me tear my hair out of I had to solve it myself.

Oh well, at least the story continues to be entertaining, I like how everyone is somewhere between blasé and pissed off at being caught up in a time travel event. Like, less "I'm existentially terrified because my entire concept of the universe has been upended", and more "we're a thousand years ago?? uggghhh, this sucks :rolleyes:". Maybe they just wound up in a medieval themed escape room, I guess that should be my long-shot guess for unexpected plot twists.

"This is human meat?! Eh, I've already some already so I may as well go all in!"

I was mortified when I made the mistake as even going through it without all of the work beforehand is still slow and tedious.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

At the end Melanie screams "Aaaah1". I guess the proofreaders and testers all tried out that recipe for "strang sleeping dranc".

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Halligan wakes up in a strange place, quickly makes a new friend and discovers more about the super babies.

Commander Keene posted:

At the end Melanie screams "Aaaah1". I guess the proofreaders and testers all tried out that recipe for "strang sleeping dranc".

Whatever do you mean/

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Halligan explores the grounds of the monastery and makes a new friend in the process.

I've caught another cold which you can probably hear in my voice in this video, I was aiming to record this several days ago but I was sounding a lot worse. There's also the fact that I needed to blow my nose every five minutes. There was a couple of moments in this video where it felt a little messy which I'll blame on the bug.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Halligan explores the hidden depths of the monastery and uncovers its secrets. I had a hard time finding the words for certain rooms during this recording.

It seems like the next video may well be the final one for this LP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Primo content here, I had the biggest laugh at the swerve in "how to escape a tower using a bedsheet" puzzling, and then the ensuing cutscene :allears:

I'll be sad if it ends next time around, I'm gonna miss this game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Primo content here, I had the biggest laugh at the swerve in "how to escape a tower using a bedsheet" puzzling, and then the ensuing cutscene :allears:

I'll be sad if it ends next time around, I'm gonna miss this game.

We are practically at the end as it is. There are around twenty more minutes of gameplay left if I'm judging things right. I did think about making an extra-long finale but I couldn't resist ending things with the parachute cutscene.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We really just completely abandoned Melanie there, didn't we? Ice cold, Halligan. I thought Maglor was gonna be our Investigation Buddy for the next part for a second or two there, but I guess not.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

We really just completely abandoned Melanie there, didn't we? Ice cold, Halligan. I thought Maglor was gonna be our Investigation Buddy for the next part for a second or two there, but I guess not.

I was meaning to mention something in the video about leaving Melanie behind, especially with the murder druids on the rampage. I was too distracted on working out how to explain the escape plan.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished off a practise run of the next segment and it definitely will be the final update to this game. I'm not sure when I'll be recording it as it's the school holidays at the moment but I'm hoping to have something recorded on Wednesday or Thursday.

I did encounter another graphical glitch which I'm hoping will happen again during the recording session. I didn't have anything open to catch it while it was happening but I'll try to recreate it again if it doesn't happen during the main playthrough.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mystery of the Druids is just adorable; Halligan really is just the most sociopathic hero ever, you don't event have to read between the lines to learn that he is just the absolute worst.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh yeah, Halligan is a terrible human being and has spent the entire game treating everyone around him like poo poo.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Like to the point that I actually feel bad for his co-workers at Scotland Yard for having to put up with him for so long. Yes, even that Lowry(?) guy who seems kinda like an rear end in a top hat too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Wait until the finale. I don't want to spoil anything but he is going to trump everything that you have seen up until now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Now that's an attention grabber if I ever heard one :f5:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of The Mystery Of The Druids.

I think my brain was melting during this recording session. I had to abandon a recording as I completely cocked up a puzzle, I cocked up an earlier puzzle but decided to carry on but decided two cock-ups were a bit too much. This recording did have a cock-up but I was able to fix it relatively easily, it's a good job that I kept going as I had a double glitch as opposed to the singular glitch that I've encountered before. I also have no idea why I'm finding the power of speech so difficult today either, I had to abandon several recordings as I couldn't seem to find the correct words to say. Orientation was definitely a word that I should have been using instead of others.

This has been a very interesting game to play and I'm glad that I was able to experience it and share it with you all. There have definitely been a lot of issues and Halligan is in line for a Dickhead Of The Year award. But this game has been a lot of fun to play and there have been some interesting puzzles, there definitely have been a lot of talking points. Thank you, everyone, for experiencing this with me.

I still have a long list of adventure games that I want to LP but I should really get back to finishing off The Walking Dead LP. I do want to LP a couple of the early Frogwares adventures at some point in the future, as well as The Pillar's Of The Earth. But they will have to wait for now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I think my brain was melting during this recording session.
To be fair I think that is a perfectly natural response to this game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Halligan is a really amazing character, a genuine rare bird.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Whenever the "Halligan" and "romance" parts of my brain activate at the same time, I feel sick and get a strong urge to vomit.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

TapamN posted:

Whenever the "Halligan" and "romance" parts of my brain activate at the same time, I feel sick and get a strong urge to vomit.

How do you think Melanie feels?

He's smacked her around, abandoned her and then finally stabbed her in the stomach and yet she still kisses him at the end of it all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, :wtc: at that ending. At least they turned it around, I'd forgotten you didn't use the mistletoe earlier and I didn't bat an eye at thinking Halligan would just off Melanie. What a hero!

Anyway, thanks for going through the game. I still can't believe I went all these years knowing about it for the memey box art, but having no idea it was a straight-up point & click adventure. And what a weird one, I'm glad I got to see it. And I'm glad it had one more fittingly janky moment to go out on.

:allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I... wha... buh?! That ending doesn't even make sense! He doesn't even trick Serstan with a bit of wordplay, the promise Halligan presents is straight-up "promise me you won't hurt us" and then Halligan himself gut-stabs Melanie and somehow the compact is broken, thus forcing Serstan (who is very dead by this point) to manifest in Sinclair and... kill Sinclair? Which causes all of the Druid demigod-kids to promptly TIME PARADOX themselves out of existence? :psypop:

Like they could easily have made this ending work, all they needed to do was change the phrasing a bit to "promise me we will come to no harm" or "promise me that Druid magic will not harm us" (and then give Halligan some Druid magic MacGuffin to stab Melanie with), and they just... chose not to?

And wow, I kinda expected Halligan and Melanie to end up together despite how terrible Halligan is, but you'd think that after he stabbed and almost killed her (even if it was "for the good of the world" or whatever) she'd open her eyes a little. That's kinda... :yikes:

But anyways, thanks for the LP, it really was a fun ride exploring the meme game with the silly cover.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the LP! I recommend finishing the experience by listening to Mandalore's original ending song (01:10:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus&t=4215s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Thanks for the LP! I recommend finishing the experience by listening to Mandalore's original ending song (01:10:15):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUCSyIkEus&t=4215s

:hmmyes: