Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Problem Description

I'm having an issue with one note that I'm trying to troubleshoot. My team uses one note (I BELIEVE its version 2016) to manage our workflow procedures. Previously this was stored on the Sharepoint but Sharepoint is being removed and now we are attempting to store our one note procedures in a shared network directory and access it from there.

What I'm trying to do is give my team members the ability to read the documents, but not edit them, and leave myself (and other designated parties) with read/write access. This is proving to be surprisingly difficult to achieve. All I want is our team to be able to read the procedures and not accidentally fat finger changes or delete entire sections (they will do this if given the opportunity).

Attempted fixes

I did some google searching and found several solutions that didn't work:

Password protecting a section makes it invisible until you enter the password - I'm not trying to make it unreadable, just uneditable. Password protection doesn't seem to tiered - I know with say, excel documents, you can have a read password, and a write password, but this doesn't seem to work with this function in one note.

Some search results talked about producing a "read only link" or using the "protected view" feature, but I've been unable to find these features in one note 2016. I don't think it has them, or if it does, I've not been able to find them.

I tried giving limited permissions to the folders that the one note files are stored in using windows explorer. This did not appear to work. A person I gave read only permissions to was able to change a document, and then force a sync to the document. I'm unsure if this is because I gave incorrect permissions, or if there was an overriding permission they have, or if the permissions given simply did not override one note. I'm not a network administrator so I'm uncertain of the permissions hierarchy there and do not want to run afoul of our network admins by fooling around too much in this direction.

Suggestions for how to solve this would be most welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Can you just generate pdfs for them to use? Password protected zip files?
A pastebin link?

Does your version of onenote sync with the web version? Is there more advanced sharing tools in the web version at onenote.com or whatever it is?