Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
A lot of people will say that you should be able to choose your career path when you're young and specialize into the field you'll be going into as an adult. So that you're only learning what you're already really interested in. Though I feel like they don't fully appreciate the implications of a system where you decide your life course at ~13 and any attempt to switch careers will put you 5+ years behind your peers. They just seem to resent the fact that they had to experience boredom as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

so what you are saying is that I have a multiple high end degrees from now defunct (quick google search) Fontbonne University and there won't be anyone to validate it?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

no lube so what posted:

so what you are saying is that I have a multiple high end degrees from now defunct (quick google search) Fontbonne University and there won't be anyone to validate it?
yep. there's enough defunct schools you could be doing that for awhile. but usually its the name that matters, not necessarily holding a piece of paper or not per se but at least getting past first auto-HR bot screening, yeah

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

yep. there's enough defunct schools you could be doing that for awhile. but usually its the name that matters, not necessarily holding a piece of paper or not per se but at least getting past first auto-HR bot screening, yeah

honestly, who’s to say I don’t have an ms in systems engineering, I can make visio charts and blame the other department as good as anyone

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the teacher demanding all the students delete their videos and not snitch is very funny

I’m in trouble

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

unwantedplatypus posted:

A lot of people will say that you should be able to choose your career path when you're young and specialize into the field you'll be going into as an adult. So that you're only learning what you're already really interested in. Though I feel like they don't fully appreciate the implications of a system where you decide your life course at ~13 and any attempt to switch careers will put you 5+ years behind your peers. They just seem to resent the fact that they had to experience boredom as a child.

Also it will in no way impact the quality of your work to do a job you have learned to hate, no sir.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Look either you can correctly predict the path of the entire US job market for the next 3 decades or you deserve to deliver Doordash to the people who can

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Saw this posted in another thread:

Yeah, teachers love it when you send your sick kids to school.

I can always tell who dosed their kid up to hide a fever/runny nose/etc if by lunch the kid starts showing all the symptoms out of the blue. I usually ask them what color the medicine was that mommy gave them that morning.

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Increasing the likelihood of other kids getting too sick to go to school for the sake of attendance. The system works

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Look, schools are a good way for children to develop disease resistance that will make them more sturdy and less likely to take sick days as adults.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I remember being a student and a few times during assemblies they'd give a student a certificate for perfect attendance. Not just for a single year, but a career spanning K-12 perfect attendance. I can imagine a parent somewhere being very proud of this, "by god junior may not be able to read good but damnit he will be there every single day! that's how you get ahead in life."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

palindrome posted:

I remember being a student and a few times during assemblies they'd give a student a certificate for perfect attendance. Not just for a single year, but a career spanning K-12 perfect attendance. I can imagine a parent somewhere being very proud of this, "by god junior may not be able to read good but damnit he will be there every single day! that's how you get ahead in life."
the junior nobel prize for ableism and eugenics

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
My brother got perfect attendance across eight years of catholic grade school, and my mother is still proud of it to this day.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm just jealous really, shouldn't hate on such an achievement. I also liked not going to school on occasion though. Imagine never experiencing a sick day.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I was proud of my attendance record like an idiot bootlicker kid :argh:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol the perfect attendance reward i remember those, the kids were there whether they were sick extremely sick or not sick

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

palindrome posted:

There's a thing with some parents where you've absolutely got to put everything possible on Susie's college application and perfect attendance is one that stands out.

I've literally been on hiring/promotion boards where two candidates are completely equal except one had a single thing they had done/achieved that the other hadn't and that's what got them the job/promotion.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kids' schools give prizes to kids with perfect or near perfect attendance every few months, including candy and small toys. It's terrible because the kids that don't get prizes feel left out for something that's out of their control. It's not like kindergartners are deciding for themselves whether or not they're going to school.

As I understand it the schools get heavily penalized for lower attendance rates and this is the inevitable response from the school administration.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nocturtle posted:

My kids' schools give prizes to kids with perfect or near perfect attendance every few months, including candy and small toys. It's terrible because the kids that don't get prizes feel left out for something that's out of their control. It's not like kindergartners are deciding for themselves whether or not they're going to school.

As I understand it the schools get heavily penalized for lower attendance rates and this is the inevitable response from the school administration.

They want to train the next generation of workers. That means slavish commitment to showing up.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

There's a thing with some parents where you've absolutely got to put everything possible on Susie's college application and perfect attendance is one that stands out.

I've literally been on hiring/promotion boards where two candidates are completely equal except one had a single thing they had done/achieved that the other hadn't and that's what got them the job/promotion.

I understand, but it is funny for me to imagine that someone gets picked for a position or promotion because of grade school attendance. I'm sure it happens. When I'm on the interview panel, I'm giving more weight to the person that had a few sick days. Maybe someone with a little lived experience would be good to have as part of this going concern. Put that on your college entrance essay.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

In my state school funding is impacted by attendance because it's determined by the average number of kids that are in the building and kids that are home sick don't count. Not sure if that's a nationwide formula or just a stupid red state thing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my friend is a middle school science teacher and I don't know how she does it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in a high school teacher its ok. i have a good enthusiastic professional persona that i use to hide behind while taking extreme psychic damage from the apathy and disrespect of the average teenager.
spring break next week tho hell yeah.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

palindrome posted:

I understand, but it is funny for me to imagine that someone gets picked for a position or promotion because of grade school attendance. I'm sure it happens. When I'm on the interview panel, I'm giving more weight to the person that had a few sick days. Maybe someone with a little lived experience would be good to have as part of this going concern. Put that on your college entrance essay.

Person who takes sick days probably more of a team player tbh

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yep, I agree. Don't hire perfect candidates if you have a choice. Something doesn't add up.

vvvvvv
what, are you going to fake an embossed 8.5"x11" piece of paper??

palindrome has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Apr 12, 2024

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

spacetoaster posted:

i bet perfect attendance is an easy one to fake on applications

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My kid got partnered with an autistic kid who was raised by YouTube and has not attended school at all because in his home country they didnt really know what to do with him but he didn't cause problems when he was in front of his iPad.

Now in grade 6 the Quebec school system is trying to integrate him into French school and he doesn't speak any French and also doesn't speak his native tongue of Spanish but only a dialect of English he learned from YouTube.

My kid also speaks YouTuber English and he has a lot of patience for weird kids so he's the de facto translator.

Not sure what the point of this post is other than education is such a grab bag of humanity it's a wonder we have a system for it at all.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My kid got partnered with an autistic kid who was raised by YouTube and has not attended school at all because in his home country they didnt really know what to do with him but he didn't cause problems when he was in front of his iPad.

Now in grade 6 the Quebec school system is trying to integrate him into French school and he doesn't speak any French and also doesn't speak his native tongue of Spanish but only a dialect of English he learned from YouTube.

My kid also speaks YouTuber English and he has a lot of patience for weird kids so he's the de facto translator.

Not sure what the point of this post is other than education is such a grab bag of humanity it's a wonder we have a system for it at all.

I'm glad your kid has a friend

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

there was an item on the news today about how 13-year-olds are now able to register for Whatsapp without breaking TOS, and it was a longwinded way of saying that smartphones are generally loving up child development

and I imagine this is nothing new to teachers and/or parents itt, but either way, I'm realising just how hosed I would have been if I'd grown up a few years later when smartphones became ubiquitous around the world. My brain's already hosed from being terminally online, but it would've been hosed a lot earlier if I'd grown up with a computer in my pocket.

of course, if you try to ban smartphones and mandate Nokia bricks for kids in American schools, you'll probably have parents saying this infringes on their liberty or some stupid poo poo like that :v:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wife and i are in strong agreement that if our kids have a phone in school it's going to be a dumb one lol. having a smart phone in your pocket just seems so detrimental to learning.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Venomous posted:

My brain's already hosed from being terminally online, but it would've been hosed a lot earlier if I'd grown up with a computer in my pocket.
this is what kills me about end-of-history rear end libs going durrr writing is going to ruin society! books are ruining the youth!plato said they're going to hell in a handbasket! as evidence that actually everything is perfectly good and normal.

like, it's not even a hypothetical: we already know how being terminally online putrefies the brain (see also literally everyone addicted on facebook, twitter, goons, redditors, nextdoor), why would making it easier for impressionable rubes to develop terminally online brain be a good thing?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

palindrome posted:

Well, I was talking about my time in the military (not much different than public education!).

It often came down to physical fitness scores sometimes when you had candidates with the exact same education level, qualifications, schools, etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

note taking now is maybe take a photo of the board if it seems important enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Venomous posted:

there was an item on the news today about how 13-year-olds are now able to register for Whatsapp without breaking TOS, and it was a longwinded way of saying that smartphones are generally loving up child development

and I imagine this is nothing new to teachers and/or parents itt, but either way, I'm realising just how hosed I would have been if I'd grown up a few years later when smartphones became ubiquitous around the world. My brain's already hosed from being terminally online, but it would've been hosed a lot earlier if I'd grown up with a computer in my pocket.

of course, if you try to ban smartphones and mandate Nokia bricks for kids in American schools, you'll probably have parents saying this infringes on their liberty or some stupid poo poo like that :v:

Weren't the chinese floating the idea of reducing phone use for kids down to 2 hours a day or something? It's probably well deserved, can't exactly fault them on this matter

Real hurthling! posted:

note taking now is maybe take a photo of the board if it seems important enough

This... doesn't actually bother me that much? I never took notes in school and it was not the problem I had with it.