Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I thought state universities were cheap if you lived in the state? Or is that gone now?

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

that one was a downer so here's some education ftw moments

https://twitter.com/fartdysphoria/status/1750288309245690050

moreover, free croup

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ut austin is about 5500/semester for in state students. that is not that bad. of course thats just tuition. lets check housing/meal plans... 13k for a whole year, lmao. great! although that is probably cheaper than trying to rent near the campus with how austin housing is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my first year in college a local small town group awarded me a $500 scholarship and then the state school i went to just reduced my financial aid by $500 in response lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I thought state universities were cheap if you lived in the state? Or is that gone now?

lmbo

it depends on the state; university of alabama is 12k a year, william and mary in va is 24k

of course you need to add 15-20k per year for housing, food, etc, or more for schools in dense locations

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lmbo

yeah, that's the cheap price, a state school that's $30k/yr TCA with in-state tuition is more like $60k/yr TCA with out of state tuition

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
University of South Carolina is 12k a year now as well. for a resident of the state. lol

jesus christ

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the community college here charges like $80 per credit hour, thats pretty cheap... associates degree for less than 5k.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

fart simpson posted:

my first year in college a local small town group awarded me a $500 scholarship and then the state school i went to just reduced my financial aid by $500 in response lol

Stuff like this is why so many American unis have raised tuition so high. They know most people can't afford full price and will apply for financial aid. Then they just use the high sticker price combined with discounts to do price discrimination so each student can be most efficiently ripped off get access to a college education!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

lol

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

My poo poo-tier state school is now $30k/year instate ($12k tuition, $18k books + room&board). It was $20k/year out of state when I went there 20 years ago.

I can't stress enough that most people have never heard of this school.

e: lol nearly $50k/year for out of state and international students.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

fart simpson posted:

Do they try and hit you up for donations? lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

skooma512 posted:

Do they try and hit you up for donations? lol

yes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what school doesn't

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my college still sends donation solicitations to my moms house and my mom, despite my repeated requests to just throw them in the garbage, brings them over to me a few times a year lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a nice lol at every one of those emails asking for free money because of my degree I don't use. why do you need donations when your tuition is so absurd????

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PokeJoe posted:

what school doesn't
yep.

i 100% block/ignore all calls that aren't from someone in my contacts because it's always either scams or alumni donation begging or red cross begging. and only ever one of the 3

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

fart simpson posted:

With need based aid they p much always do that, I had a scholarship that scaled with my gpa and whenever that one went up my need one went down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PoundSand posted:

With need based aid they p much always do that, I had a scholarship that scaled with my gpa and whenever that one went up my need one went down.

i understand the logic but in actuality they just stole $500 from some old ladies in my hometown

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It's almost like expecting all public institutions to be independently financially solvent is neoliberal brain worms

PsychoInternetHawk has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Feb 20, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fart simpson posted:

their fault for not handing you 500 cash imo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

i understand the logic but in actuality they just stole $500 from some old ladies in my hometown

good. gently caress those old ladies for helping you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Homeless Friend posted:

their fault for not handing you 500 cash imo

that's right 💯

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Bad property debt exceeds reserves at largest US banks

Pay walled, but lol. I've seen this show before.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OhFunny posted:

can't read cause of poor education but is this more of a doomsday economics thing perchance?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

it's just good use of the cueing strategy for reading. first word in thread title is the same, second word starts with the same letter and looks rather similar. that's close enough for everything in life that matters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PokeJoe posted:

I have a nice lol at every one of those emails asking for free money because of my degree I don't use. why do you need donations when your tuition is so absurd????

It's free real estate money

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

OhFunny posted:

https://archive.is/VbOBj

its about commercial real estate, which, in the wake of covid... lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

colleges are major real estate players, often being located in the heart of depressed areas with a drive to force out locals and put up fancier and fancier buildings to drive tuition increases

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

My kid will be going to a state school, if that is even a meaningful or worthwhile thing to do by then.

I'd say you should probably send them abroad to Germany or somewhere else with low (or no) tuition fees, but given how Europe's turning fashy incredibly quickly + they'll have to learn a whole second language beforehand, that's probably not an option

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

my college still sends donation solicitations to my moms house and my mom, despite my repeated requests to just throw them in the garbage, brings them over to me a few times a year lol

It's the hustler mindset: always be begging for money all the time. Even if it only succeeds 1/100 times that means free money 1/100 times.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Xaris posted:

yep.

i 100% block/ignore all calls that aren't from someone in my contacts because it's always either scams or alumni donation begging or red cross begging. and only ever one of the 3

They got me once by having a current student in my degree track call and ask for advice, which really caught me off-guard. I answered earnestly and was so loving piss when she pivoted to asking for money. Like not at her, she's just doing this to make money, but the gall of those assholes.

Very much relate to that John Mulaney bit. I gave you a lot of money. You gave me a piece of paper. Our transaction is over.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Chad Sexington posted:

They got me once by having a current student in my degree track call and ask for advice, which really caught me off-guard. I answered earnestly and was so loving piss when she pivoted to asking for money. Like not at her, she's just doing this to make money, but the gall of those assholes.

Very much relate to that John Mulaney bit. I gave you a lot of money. You gave me a piece of paper. Our transaction is over.

when i was an undergrad 20 years ago you could get $10/hr in the campus call center calling alums and asking for money

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the milk machine posted:

when i was an undergrad 20 years ago you could get $10/hr in the campus call center calling alums and asking for money

same fuckin job probably STILL pays $10/hr and tuition has literally doubled (or tripled) lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Chad Sexington posted:

That's amazing. I'm glad I never answer calls from my university's area code and prefix.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

i was talking to a friend working in tech, and he was bemoaning the lack of a rounded education in his field.
he mentioned that a colleague of his was insistent that mice couldn't be mammals, because they are 'too small'

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he's right

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
how would they have babies

if they're so small

case closed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once, my brother was cleaning out a blocked off basement fireplace of a house he just bought. in the fireplace, he found a mouse nest. his girlfriend at the time asked him if there were eggs inside.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the American education system is great. small animal like bird and lizard and bug lay egg. mouse is small so obviously egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

once, my brother was cleaning out a blocked off basement fireplace of a house he just bought. in the fireplace, he found a mouse nest. his girlfriend at the time asked him if there were eggs inside.

well were there?