Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i saw a mouse today it was very cute and I didn't bother it

didn't know it was protecting its eggs, hell I could have had an omelet for breakfast

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

so what you're saying is that you can't prove that mice don't lay eggs

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Mice aren't bugs!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

take_it_slow posted:

i was talking to a friend working in tech, and he was bemoaning the lack of a rounded education in his field.
he mentioned that a colleague of his was insistent that mice couldn't be mammals, because they are 'too small'

they are

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
code:
                                 is someone talking poo poo about monotremes
                                           /
                                          /

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Car Hater posted:

Mice aren't bugs!!

lol

Mola Yam posted:

code:
                                 is someone talking poo poo about monotremes
                                           /
                                          /

also lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
during college we had pet mice and rats, in separate cages in the living room

a friend's gf once asked if *gesturing at the mice* those would ever get as big as *gesturing at the rats* those

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the milk machine posted:

so what you're saying is that you can't prove that mice don't lay eggs

im not a mouseologist don't ask me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

during college we had pet mice and rats, in separate cages in the living room

a friend's gf once asked if *gesturing at the mice* those would ever get as big as *gesturing at the rats* those

maybe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

mice evolve into rats, just like a pokemon

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
mouse

rat

capybara

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PokeJoe posted:

mice evolve into rats, just like a pokemon

only if you fight them against other pets at the park

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they do that naturally. in the tall grass

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Gunshow Poophole posted:

mouse

rat

capybara

you forgot big mouse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

horse

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
laying the biggest eggs tho

mouse, rat, capybara, horse, ostrich

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

take_it_slow posted:

i was talking to a friend working in tech, and he was bemoaning the lack of a rounded education in his field.
he mentioned that a colleague of his was insistent that mice couldn't be mammals, because they are 'too small'

shouldn’t have sacrificed everything on the altar of stem then techies

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
*academically* where is the proof that a mouse has never laid an egg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Raskolnikov38 posted:

shouldn’t have sacrificed everything on the altar of stem then techies
tbf biology is also stem

afaik every accredited place has general ed stuff, but it's like either or. you can take chemistry or biology to fullfill them. not that it would matter, a lot of gened n stuff is easy to blowoff and just cram the night before on adderall and then just instantly forget it after you walk out of the door-frame out of your final exam anyways

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

thinking more and more that Ecology would be a better jumping off point than Biology

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sharps posted:

thinking more and more that Ecology would be a better jumping off point than Biology

We don't need that many people to write mining permits. Way more profitable work in pharma

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

PokeJoe posted:

the American education system is great. small animal like bird and lizard and bug lay egg. mouse is small so obviously egg

you don't need to know this info to push buttons at a factory so it's not worth teaching in school

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I think it's more that nests are for laying eggs, therefore mouse nests presumably have eggs. still a complete failure in education, no doubt

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
mice develop cocoons and metamorphosise into rats Gremlins-style

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Killjoy posted:

mice develop cocoons and metamorphosise into rats Gremlins-style

having dozens of their babbies boil off of their backs is what possums do

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/im-...sword-fighting/

quote:

The guardians of a high school student in New Mexico who was hacked in the wrist by a samurai sword during “school-sponsored sword fighting,” requiring a trip to the emergency room, have filed a lawsuit in the case, according to a lawsuit.

The lawsuit, filed Feb. 23, said the “school-sponsored sword fighting” happened in a chemistry class at Volcano Vista High School in Albuquerque on May 2, 2022. A sophomore was taken to the ER after one of the fights and has been suffering from permanent physical and psychological injuries from the trauma, the lawsuit says.

“It was total shock,” family attorney Jessica Hernandez told FOX New Mexico affiliate KRQE. “Not only did this teacher and APS (Albuquerque Public Schools) not protect this child, but actively put her in harm’s way, actively created this danger, and put deadly weapons right into these student’s hands and exactly what could reasonably be anticipated is what happened.”

The complaint obtained by Law&Crime said the teacher brought in a “surprise” that day — two swords, a katana-style sword with a long, curved blade and a rapier-style weapon that the teacher called “props.” She instructed the students to rearrange their desks, creating a space in the middle of the classroom and encouraged her students to fight one another for two minutes each while other students shot video on their phones.

In the video, a student can be seen wielding the heavy katana sword. He appears to wield it defensively by parrying the other student’s attacks, moving backward, and retreating away while holding a lighter, longer rapier-style blade. He makes stabbing motions toward the other student as teacher Loviata Mitchell looks on.

The next match drew blood.

A student identified in court documents as N.S. was struck across the right forearm, wrist, and hand by a student holding a katana-style sword. The injury caused intense physical pain and heavy bleeding, court documents said.

Immediately after N.S. was cut, Mitchell said, “I’m in trouble!” The lawsuit said she ordered her students to delete their videos, refrain from posting anything about the fights online, and not tell anyone.

As N.S. bled, Mitchell tried to call the health office, “but she could not figure out how to do so” and did not immediately call 911, the lawsuit alleges.

Mitchell allowed N.S. to call her grandfather for help — about 20 minutes after N.S. was cut.

“As N.S. began to feel nauseous and weak from blood loss, another student ran to the VVHS health office for medical assistance,” court documents said.

Shortly after that, a school health assistant arrived in Mitchell’s classroom, called 911, and began providing first aid — about 30 minutes after N.S. had been cut. The student was taken to an emergency room where she was treated for “a gaping wound on her right wrist” an hour after being cut by a “real sword consistent with [a] ‘samurai sword’ style item,” Albuquerque Fire Department EMS staff dispatched to the scene noted, court documents said.

The assistant principal’s official school accident report said the teacher brought a “prop” to school for a lesson on “metal and melding (science)” and that the student accidentally cut the other student with it.”

Albuquerque Public Schools did not comment on the lawsuit, citing a policy against commenting on pending litigation, KQRE reported, adding Mitchell was hired as a special-education teacher in 2021 and was terminated in 2022.

The lawsuit seeks an undisclosed amount for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost future earnings, loss of mobility, and psychological and emotional distress.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

...what the Christ

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
Don't play with swords, they'll loving cut you wide open.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

they weren’t playing, their teacher made them duel

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKpfNCXS7cA

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
While you partied, I studied the blade

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

fart simpson posted:

they weren’t playing, their teacher made them duel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
what wall scrolls are displayed in that teacher’s home

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the teacher demanding all the students delete their videos and not snitch is very funny

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the ultimate "SHUT THE gently caress UP stop crying before Mom hears and we both get in trouble!!!"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
well did the kids learn about metallurgy or not??

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The superior chemistry of Hanzo steel was made apparent to them

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the teacher demanding all the students delete their videos and not snitch is very funny

I get a constant stream of the craziest poo poo ever from my highschool kids.

Us elementary teachers think it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If you press STEM-chauvinists hard enough they'll generally admit that they only see the T and E parts as worthwhile, probably because Science is Woke now. I think it's just a recursive logic wherein anybody who is underpaid is at fault for it because they didn't game the job market or w/e.

Also, my experience being a TA was that

1) Institutions are perfectly happy to shove people into classrooms with no training (like me lmao).

2) Undergrad is the new high school and there's pressure to juice student's scores to get the average up.

I'm decent at mentoring someone, but I am extremely glad that I do not have to do any teaching anymore.

take_it_slow posted:

The average person has a miasma theory of disease, doesn't understand what a protein is, and believes in lamarckian evolution. Which tbh is about in line with the average person's understanding of chemistry, geography, history, or physics.

Science education is completely hosed. I'm not really sure how to fix it. The issue isn't that it's not taught in school. The issue is that people immediately forget everything the second the test is over because they don't value knowledge.