Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I work in education and I'm done after this year. The only way I would go back into any district would be an admin job, but even those are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Saucer Hovers posted:

its almost like the powers that be have been actively dismantling the public education system over decades to ensure the domestic supply of infants

Is it the entirety of Louisiana or just New Orleans that has 0 public schools, and only charter schools?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A teacher I met told me about how charter schools were good because they have more money to spend on the kids, and minority kids can get a better education. Lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is it the entirety of Louisiana or just New Orleans that has 0 public schools, and only charter schools?

a large potion of lousiana is charter schools and new orleans is entirely charter

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

DO THE HOMEWORK WITH YOUR CHILD EVERY NIGHT

My parents never helped me with homework. My father would just threaten to beat me harder than the last time unless I got a B or greater and I turned out alright

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Backcountry posted:

My parents never helped me with homework. My father would threaten to beat me harder than the last time unless I got a B or greater and I turned out alright.

My parents also beat me, and I had horrible anger issues and crippling depression until I was in my mid 30's when I started to take my psychologist's advice and cut my parents out of my life completely. This lead to them harassing me for almost a year before I threatened to get a restraining order on them. I've also worked out my anger issues, and my wife and step children all see me as a much happier individual.

In short, your father is an abusive shithead, and you should sever with him.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

captainbananas posted:

you're giving homework to motherfuckin kindergarteners? goddamn

No, I give it sporadically. Higher grades give it every day though.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

My parents also beat me, and I had horrible anger issues and crippling depression until I was in my mid 30's when I started to take my psychologist's advice and cut my parents out of my life completely. This lead to them harassing me for almost a year before I threatened to get a restraining order on them. I've also worked out my anger issues, and my wife and step children all see me as a much happier individual.

In short, your father is an abusive shithead, and you should sever with him.

Same, but mid 40s. Well, and without the restraining order

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TehSaurus posted:

Same, but mid 40s. Well, and without the restraining order

Hell yeah! Congratulations on beating the cycle of abuse and leaving a toxic relationship!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty good explanation of some of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asnwDEL9XQ

The part about the future of teaching is just an adult gig worker watching over a roomful of kids staring at computers seems to be the way it's going.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Instead of letting them watch Skibidi Toilet, purchase your children Garry's Mod.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

captainbananas posted:

nice post good infwait what

you're giving homework to motherfuckin kindergarteners? goddamn

yeah my oldest had homework all through kindergarten, it surprised the poo poo outta me

she's in 1st now and it's even more of a workload. it's bullshit and i'm p sure has been shown to be contrary to good educational outcomes, but w/e

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty good explanation of some of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asnwDEL9XQ

The part about the future of teaching is just an adult gig worker watching over a roomful of kids staring at computers seems to be the way it's going.

the extant system never managed to be prussian enough

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
Sounds like the education system got even more stupid

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

If you can ever teach an elective class at whatever level you are (not sure what this looks like for K-5) you should do it. The difference in student attitudes between "I signed up for this because it's in/near the field I am interested in" and "I have to take this class to pass this year/program" is monumental.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has anyone looked into the people running Class Dojo? It's in every school in my district and the teachers are using it constantly.

I've actually been "talked to" by the admin for not using it (because I'm an old man who doesn't really give a poo poo about technology).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzzb5cmNoc0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nothus posted:

One of my friends is an ex-marine who, on his 2nd tour in Afghanistan, decided to quit the marines and become an English teacher. He took all the classes and earned his certificate and license. On his first day of work in a Philadelphia public middle school he learned that he would actually be teaching science and that his job was really being a bouncer, breaking up fights and keeping students from attacking the teachers. He lasted a year, busting his rear end to stay one lesson ahead of his class and not get permanently injured.

He's a cross-fit personal trainer now.

What do you mean stay one lesson ahead are they like learning new martial arts

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

heres a blog from the dang nyt about helicopter parents, online grades, etc. none of this poo poo sounds like it helps kids or makes schools better and in fact makes it worse.

quote:

“I’ll never forget the example where there was a student in an English classroom in eighth grade and the teacher said to the student, ‘You need to put your phone away.’ And the student said, ‘I can’t. It’s my mom. You still haven’t posted my makeup work that you graded, and if it’s not posted by this weekend, I’m going to be grounded,’” she told me, highlighting how stress provoking and disruptive to learning the technology could be.

[...]

anxious kids checking their grades throughout the day, snowplow parents berating their children and questioning teachers about every grade they considered unacceptable, and harried middle and high school teachers, some of whom teach more than 100 kids on a given day, dealing with an untenable stream of additional communication.

[...]

“You might get emails from parents questioning the grade, wanting an explanation, and that’s for every single thing,” even assignments that had little bearing on students’ overall marks,

[...]

kids become hyperfocused on their grades, to the detriment of developing their minds. In the past several years, one of his biggest struggles in the classroom was “an abandonment, really, of learning as a goal.” There were kids, he said, who were “incredibly skilled at gaming the system” — grade grubbing rather than achieving anything intellectually.

[...]

They also found that a minority of parents who are hyperchecking — contacting teachers every time an unsatisfactory grade is posted — aren’t doing their children any favors. They’re stripping their kids of the opportunity to develop the agency needed to succeed as adults: High school used to be a time when students were taking more responsibility for their grades and schedules, but for some families, online grade books can shift that.

Many students now rely on their parents and the technology itself as crutches. Some parents request access to grades for their college-age children, unable, apparently, to relinquish that degree of control.

[...]

Wallace said parents shouldn’t be driving a wedge between kids and teachers because it makes children feel as if they’re “in the middle of an acrimonious divorce.” She added that parents shouldn’t want conversations about grades “bleeding into every conversation you have with your kids. That does a disservice to your relationship, and it does a disservice to your child.”

parents trying to access their kids grades in college is insane... as is the idea that a college student would even want that?? like what 19 year old wants to be that dependent on mommy and daddy. seems grim all around. hope to raise my kids to be more normal.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

lobster shirt posted:

heres a blog from the dang nyt about helicopter parents, online grades, etc. none of this poo poo sounds like it helps kids or makes schools better and in fact makes it worse.

parents trying to access their kids grades in college is insane... as is the idea that a college student would even want that?? like what 19 year old wants to be that dependent on mommy and daddy. seems grim all around. hope to raise my kids to be more normal.

it's a control thing for abusive parents, anything they can do to take agency away from you they will do it even when you are in college

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

spacetoaster posted:

Has anyone looked into the people running Class Dojo? It's in every school in my district and the teachers are using it constantly.

I've actually been "talked to" by the admin for not using it (because I'm an old man who doesn't really give a poo poo about technology).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzzb5cmNoc0

my god

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the future is boring flash animations

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

lobster shirt posted:

I just lied to my parents about my grades until the quarterly report card reckoning. And we liked it that way.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

that’s a good one

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Maxwells Demon posted:

If you can ever teach an elective class at whatever level you are (not sure what this looks like for K-5) you should do it. The difference in student attitudes between "I signed up for this because it's in/near the field I am interested in" and "I have to take this class to pass this year/program" is monumental.

Absolutely true. After many years of effort, largely held back by an insecure department head who wanted to maintain absolute oversight over every single aspect of our curriculum, I was finally able to carve out a single section of an elective this year that is absolutely life changing. A small area where I can meaningfully experiment and try things the way I want to do them has been really invigorating.

My subject gets hit with standardized tests thru 10th grade, so I do understand the need for a certain consistency up until that point, but the fact we offer no choice in our course offerings beyond that mystifies me. In science you can take marine bio, anatomy, physics. Math gets stats, calc. In English? gently caress you, pick standard, honors, or AP. We’re arguably the broadest discipline, yet we most rigidly constrain what our kids get to do within it.

We had a new principal join us this year, and I and many others were optimistic based on their previous district that we might slowly start shifting in a better direction. Unfortunately, their approach to a few key issues has immediately alienated a large part of the staff, and in a school as toxic as mine it’s tough to recover from that. I remain hopeful after working ten years under a leader with very little appetite for changing much of anything, but it’s definitely gonna be an uphill battle.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Chad Sexington posted:

I just lied to my parents about my grades until the quarterly report card reckoning. And we liked it that way.

what you didn't intercept the letter and toss it? weak

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Schools systems allowing corporations to harvest your kids data for profit.

https://www.the74million.org/article/startling-96-of-school-tech-exposes-student-data-research-finds/

"Tech used in schools routinely pass student data to advertisers and other third parties"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lobster shirt posted:

that's really not new, i had friends whose parents tried this when i was in college back in 2003

it's probably even older than that, to hear bursar's office people laugh about it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's really not new, i had friends whose parents tried this when i was in college back in 2003

it's probably even older than that, to hear bursar's office people laugh about it

lol i mean my mom asked me (i think she was serious) if i wanted her to talk to a professor about some bullshit i was complaining about, just the idea of it is mortifying. i was like no!!!!!! never!!!. i get parents wanting to do it, its hard to wrap my mind around an 18 year old being like "yes here is an email address, please yell until i get an A" or something. much rather just get the bad grade.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah it really boggles the mind

ofc my friends with these kindsa parents were attempting to tie it to the money they were giving them to not work. as a person who worked full time during college i never understood how you could gently caress that up in the first place

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spacetoaster posted:

Schools systems allowing corporations to harvest your kids data for profit.

https://www.the74million.org/article/startling-96-of-school-tech-exposes-student-data-research-finds/

"Tech used in schools routinely pass student data to advertisers and other third parties"

well, yeah. I don't think anyone actually thought they were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Probably selling them the tech and also writing it off as an expense to boot. Win/win/win baby

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

motherbox posted:

Absolutely true. After many years of effort, largely held back by an insecure department head who wanted to maintain absolute oversight over every single aspect of our curriculum, I was finally able to carve out a single section of an elective this year that is absolutely life changing. A small area where I can meaningfully experiment and try things the way I want to do them has been really invigorating.

My subject gets hit with standardized tests thru 10th grade, so I do understand the need for a certain consistency up until that point, but the fact we offer no choice in our course offerings beyond that mystifies me. In science you can take marine bio, anatomy, physics. Math gets stats, calc. In English? gently caress you, pick standard, honors, or AP. We’re arguably the broadest discipline, yet we most rigidly constrain what our kids get to do within it.

We had a new principal join us this year, and I and many others were optimistic based on their previous district that we might slowly start shifting in a better direction. Unfortunately, their approach to a few key issues has immediately alienated a large part of the staff, and in a school as toxic as mine it’s tough to recover from that. I remain hopeful after working ten years under a leader with very little appetite for changing much of anything, but it’s definitely gonna be an uphill battle.

Please keep going. I was almost entirely checked out of school after a certain point, but I was never skipping science fiction class

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

lobster shirt posted:

I'm a mental health professional who works in a college. Kids just are not ready for any degree of independence. We recently had an altercation where a student brought their parent in because they were pissed that their professor wouldn't let them take their finals on a different date because of their boyfriend being deployed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My kids are teens and it is funny when friends come over (who also have teens) ask where they are and I'm like: "I have no idea. Somewhere here in town."

They have bikes, they know how to take care of themselves. They're going to be adults in a few years.

I teach elementary so not so much free range kids there, but my high school counterparts have tales of kids that don't even know how to accomplish basic life tasks.

I lol at FB posts where people say "Schools should be teaching life skills! Cooking, cleaning, car maintenance, balancing a checkbook, etc, etc! Share if you agree!"

Dumbass, you gutted the education system. We used to have Home Economics and auto shop. Also, do parents not have any responsibility for teaching stuff to their own kids now?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Also, do parents not have any responsibility for teaching stuff to their own kids now?

why, are the children paying them??

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

Dumbass, you gutted the education system. We used to have Home Economics and auto shop. Also, do parents not have any responsibility for teaching stuff to their own kids now?

gutting the school also allowed the gates foundation to dictate what schools are taught

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

My kids are teens and it is funny when friends come over (who also have teens) ask where they are and I'm like: "I have no idea. Somewhere here in town."

They have bikes, they know how to take care of themselves. They're going to be adults in a few years.

I teach elementary so not so much free range kids there, but my high school counterparts have tales of kids that don't even know how to accomplish basic life tasks.

I lol at FB posts where people say "Schools should be teaching life skills! Cooking, cleaning, car maintenance, balancing a checkbook, etc, etc! Share if you agree!"

Parents in america no longer have time to teach kids things. that was a luxury afforded to single income families of old. Now that both parents need to work full time jobs, or more in some cases, there isn’t enough time in the day to teach life skills. So I can see why parents expect or want that to happen, even if its dumb to ask for it at a time when education is severely underfunded.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

My parents asked pretty much daily if I had any homework. If I stopped to think for even a second, they would tell me to go do my homework, didn’t matter when it was actually due. So, of course I became trained to instantly respond with “Nope” no matter what the reality was. More than a few times I had to set my alarm early to get up in the morning and finish up some homework that I couldn’t get done in other classes because of that.

This was all in the 90s before parents could even think of checking in randomly with teachers.

spacetoaster posted:

This was a thing even back in the 90s. My high school was built in the 50s. It had a wing where all the tech/shop classes were supposed to be that was on the outside edge of the campus. There were a bunch of rooms filled with beautiful heavy duty 1950s shop tools in pretty good condition. Lathes, drill presses, band saws, that sort of stuff. But even in the 90s, it wasn’t really in use anymore. There was a smattering of intro elective classes, but the classes were never around long enough to get an advanced class going.

I had a quasi intro to wood shop type of class where we made a downhill wooden racer car. We actually got to use a lathe to turn wheels from a chunk of wood. But most of the students hosed their wheels up bad enough, that the teacher had to figure out an alternative. He went with a hole cutter bit for a drill press to cut out MDF for wheels. My car went from pretty quick to not able to finish.

But I was totally the outlier in the shop and tech classes I took. I was the smart kid who had skipped a bunch of math and science classes, and was looking for fun things to fill out my schedule (I was a lazy bastard who didn’t want to push myself). The rest of the kids there were generally not too bright and looking for anything other than core or language classes.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Orvin posted:

MDF for wheels.

:perfect:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FlapYoJacks posted:

You simply cannot afford to live on a teachers salary, and you aren’t able to work a second job with the workload of a teacher.

it's the first year teaching for my kid's teacher and she has a second job on the weekends at Target. my daughter really wants us to drive out there to see her, and I don't know how to tell her how deeply hosed that is.

sorry , had a second job. teacher's been replaced by a self checkout machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Chapo reviewed a New Yorker article about virtual reality teaching (guess the state!). Thought people might be interested, it's pretty grim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6CUe2JRtk&t=2303s