Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

kill all the administrators and then do something useful with their salary money

this is a common phrase encouraged in academia by tenured professors to keep the workers from unionizing. in one college i worked for, the adjuncts (the real teachers) were in the same union as the administrators and it was a good thing for all involved. if you're talking the heads of the college like the deans, yeah i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

captainbananas posted:

as far as i can tell that's a very special place if it allows adjuncts to be union members and/or benefit from CBAs. but i also just have to hard disagree: the administrative bloat in education, K-PhD, is a real problem. not necessarily the most urgent and definitely not so in every instance. but it's real fuckin bad.

and yeah, that money should be put to better use like funding real positions for adjuncts and then outlawing the use of the adjuncting model, etc. any tenured/tt faculty that oppose adjunct relief are the enemy. intuitively/from experience i'd guess that most of the opposed tenured faculty are nth-generation professorial legacy bourgeois trash

nah even the admins get paid nothing and the bloat described usually looks like dire understaffing for underpaid workers. the real real problem is the foundations, which have just millions sitting in them for use as a slush fund by the college board. ever wonder why a college could be in a budget freeze yet somehow build multi-million dollar capital projects? well investing in people doesnt make money for the foundation (and therefore the board), but investing in real estate does

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its classic capitalist "the reason we cant pay you is because these other workers over there are making too much money" division feeding.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

believe me if you win your crusade to pay the admins less the college will be happy to take those savings and reinvest them into the foundation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean you might want to ask yourself why a tenured professor who doesnt need to teach or publish anymore is making more than the college president before you wonder where all that departmental salary budget goes but ultimately trying to balance the pay division between administrative laborers and academic laborers within a college system is the wrong question. the only thing that will solve it is a card check on both sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

[depressed loner thinking harder than he's ever thought]: It's because they're depressed loners