Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well, that's my burden, I guess.
This is what I think we have:

TOWN

Cube
Cop

Hal
Power Role Backup

HamBeet
Cook, Has town beneficial items to give out

Stalin
BodyGuard

Mae
Vanilla Town

OA
Tracker

TPC
Vanilla Town

Me
Vanilla Town

Wind
Vanilla Town, with the addition of a Ruby that the Groke wants, maybe making the groke a 3P with the ruby being a possible win condition?

SCUM

FoS
Scum

Fos
Vanilla Scum

Shwinn
Has Items to give out, a Shell that possibly cased Mae to wander unknowingly to the nightkill Ham, which OA tracks

Tmor
Vanilla Scum

3P Maybe

Keats
Possibly the Groke, possibly Vanilla town, depending on how the ruby works.

It makes sense for the scum to have a role where items can be given out that might misdirect or confuse or in general have an affect on night actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

What is the groke?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

trajanmax posted:

I can’t find it anymore in my post history, it may be in the SA Archives? It probably would have been around 2008 or so?

Myself personally I’d go Shwinne over Josef.

I had missed this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2894586&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post346050928

Looks like the Departed game was on IRC, so can't do a read-through.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Johnny Keats posted:

What is the groke?

a monster that was hunting the ruby (which Wind started with).

wind's flip said that she had 4 days to figure out how to deal with the groke

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

unclear whether groke is a player in this game (scum or anti-town 3P) or if they are some mechanic beyond players

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Oh huh

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

People fake a lot of human interactions, but I feel like I fake them all, and I fake them very well, that's my burden, I guess.

Johnny Keats posted:

What is the groke?

It has something to do with the Ruby in Wind's flavor. A lot of discussion around that on Day 1. Let me quote the flip:

quote:

You are Tiuhti and Viuhti, a Moominvalley-aligned Vanilla

Tiuhti and Viuhti are two shy little creatures who arrive in Moominvalley carrying a mysterious suitcase. They’re a private pair, preferring to keep themselves to themselves and even speaking their own special language. They have a habit of taking things that don’t belong to them, but they mean no harm and usually return an item if they can see it’s sorely missed by its owner.

A few weeks ago you stole the King's Ruby from the Grook and she has been after you ever since. You've attempted all manner of tricks to lose her, but no matter what you do, she always seems to find you eventually. Finally you've arrived at the Moominvalley and hope that the Moomin family might be able to help you pacify the Grook again. You're pretty sure you've gained a little headway on the Grook with your tricks and based on your recent experiences you should have around 4 days to come up with a solution before she finds you.

You win when all threats to Moominvalley have been removed from the game.
You start the game with the King's Ruby during the night you can ##hide the Ruby targeting one player and hiding the Ruby in their belongings, they will discover the Ruby in the morning. The Groke is after the Ruby and it is not good news for whoever is in possession of it when she arrives.
You have no powers other than your vote

Also in my post above ignore that I have FOS twice.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

shwinnebego posted:

a monster that was hunting the ruby (which Wind started with).

wind's flip said that she had 4 days to figure out how to deal with the groke

Johnny Keats posted:

What is the groke?

shwinnebego posted:

unclear whether groke is a player in this game (scum or anti-town 3P) or if they are some mechanic beyond players

I assumed it was a player based on all the D1 Wind convo (I had been thinking TMor or Traj), then FoS pointed out it could be just a separate mech, which made more sense when I reread Wind's flip.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

That sounds like a hot potato that has an effect even after Wind dies (not another player). Too bad the mechanic never entered play

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

I assumed it was a player based on all the D1 Wind convo (I had been thinking TMor or Traj), then FoS pointed out it could be just a separate mech, which made more sense when I reread Wind's flip.

The Groke could also be scum, and the ruby gives them additional power?

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

trajanmax posted:

Potentially FoS as the Scum Groke?

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

trajanmax posted:

You think that scum player would get the Ruby automatically after 4 days? And that if the scum player involved dies before hand, the text in Wind's PM about the ruby's effect would no longer apply? That sounds unlikely

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Updated.

trajanmax posted:

This is what I think we have:

TOWN

Cube
Cop

Hal
Power Role Backup

HamBeet
Cook, Has town beneficial items to give out

Stalin
BodyGuard

Mae
Vanilla Town

OA
Tracker

TPC
Vanilla Town

Me
Vanilla Town

Wind
Vanilla Town, with the addition of a Ruby that the Groke wants, maybe making the groke a 3P with the ruby being a possible win condition?

Keats
Vanilla town

SCUM

Fos
Vanilla Scum, Groke, Gets additional powers with Winds Ruby? Would make sense if Wind has has the option to Hide the Ruby to prevent the Groke to getting it?

Shwinn
Has Items to give out, a Shell that possibly cased Mae to wander unknowingly to the nightkill Ham, which OA tracks

Tmor
Vanilla Scum

It makes sense for the scum to have a role where items can be given out that might misdirect or confuse or in general have an affect on night actions.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

You think that scum player would get the Ruby automatically after 4 days? And that if the scum player involved dies before hand, the text in Wind's PM about the ruby's effect would no longer apply? That sounds unlikely

To that end I really don’t know to be honest. Probably unlikely they would get it if Wind dies, but likely they would be looking for it and hoping to get it as a power boost? Not sure on this.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

I don't know if I can explain it, but that PM is not at all ambiguous to me. The Groke is not a player.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

The Groke seeking the ruby and arriving after 4 days is flavor dressing of the Ruby's mechanic effect.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

I don't know if I can explain it, but that PM is not at all ambiguous to me. The Groke is not a player.

I could go both ways….. I’m not sure if either matters honestly, at least not in the way I am seeing the greater picture.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

trajanmax posted:

I could go both ways….. I’m not sure if either matters honestly, at least not in the way I am seeing the greater picture.

Players are here. The Groke is not here until after 4 days. Let's not get distracted

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

trajanmax posted:

By saying I not sure if it matters, is meaning if there is any relevance to the ruby/groke.

The MOST relevant thing I think is that the ruby as abilities that are mentioned, unlike what Shwinne states about the shell, thus in my mind making it likely that Shwinne has at least some concept of the shell having function, not it being just a verifiable item action with no other intent.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

Players are here. The Groke is not here until after 4 days. Let's not get distracted

See my last post haha.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

trajanmax posted:

I’m doing this after a lot of deliberation and thought.

##Vote: Shwinne

it's been almost two hours since this happened and there has been no scum-rush whcih to me implies that trajan is scum

i can appreciate that from everyone else's perspective it means either

1. i'm scum
2. trajan is scum
3. we're both town and scum are simply not around to coordinate a rush
3b. trajan scum and brazenly voted me anyway knowing that the above three options would be town's conclusion

tempted to vote trajan on those grounds but i won't

and trajan you should unvote me in the event that you are town and it's option 3

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

honestly the game might be solvable on time zones given this situation

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

it's been almost two hours since this happened and there has been no scum-rush whcih to me implies that trajan is scum

Better logic is that you are scum, and scum won’t rush bus you.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

A few decisions:
- Who should we vote out today?

Then these, which I'm not sure if coordinating upfront is a good thing or not.
A) Assuming a scum redirector flip, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?
B) Assuming a scum non-redirector flip, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?
C) Assuming a town flips today and the game still isn't over, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?

My thought is that for A, we should pick different people.
For B, we should pick the same people.
For C, we probably pick the same people similar to scenario B.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

A few decisions:
- Who should we vote out today?

Then these, which I'm not sure if coordinating upfront is a good thing or not.
A) Assuming a scum redirector flip, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?
B) Assuming a scum non-redirector flip, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?
C) Assuming a town flips today and the game still isn't over, who should OA target and who should Cube target tonight?

My thought is that for A, we should pick different people.
For B, we should pick the same people.
For C, we probably pick the same people similar to scenario B.

I feel strongly the redirect is a result of Shwinne, and I think this is some evidence to this end. I think we need to discuss that and see if there is a way of figuring it out further, that being Shwinne as scum redirect, as a first step.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

trajanmax posted:

I feel strongly the redirect is a result of Shwinne, and I think ****there**** is some evidence to this end. I think we need to discuss that and see if there is a way of figuring it out further, that being Shwinne as scum redirect, as a first step.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

shwinnebego posted:

What's everyone's timezone?

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

The only person not to have been around in the last few hours I think is FoS

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

Johnny Keats posted:

What's everyone's timezone?

Eastern US. Presently 8:08PM

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

shwinnebego posted:

I don't know that "risking a bunch of scumrushes" is the best path to victory right now.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

trajanmax posted:

Eastern US. Presently 8:08PM

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

I don't know that "risking a bunch of scumrushes" is the best path to victory right now.

talk to the guy throwing down a first vote early at exlo

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

talk to the guy throwing down a first vote early at exlo

I actually wasn’t the first fyi.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

trajanmax posted:

I actually wasn’t the first fyi.

keats unvoted immediately

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

I wish everyone would look back at Shwinnes posts this game day. Posted a fair amount but really has done next to nothing to hunt out scum.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i think one of keats or trajan is scum, not both

i think FOS is scum too and this would be my top recommendation today

obama...is mechanically looking bad, but posts/boldness of play indicates town

so i don't want it to be obama compared to FOS

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

trajanmax posted:

I wish everyone would look back at Shwinnes posts this game day. Posted a fair amount but really has done next to nothing to hunt out scum.

see above mothafucka!

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

keats unvoted immediately

After like 24 minutes. I wouldn’t call that immediate.

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

see above mothafucka!

That’s like your first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trajanmax
Apr 19, 2007

trajanmax posted:

That’s like your first one.

Cube, OA and Keats to a lesser degree HAVE been trying to hunt out scum.