Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Question IRL posted:

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

Not a huge issue, but when you are truing to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.

The future is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's not good for cars to be started cold, also bad for fuel economy and the environment to leave them running while cold.

A block heater is an electric heater, perhaps with a pump, that heats the engines coolant. I'm always surprised at how rare they seem to be outside Norway-Sweden-Finland where it's standard equipment unless the car has it's own webasto.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

Not a huge issue, but when you are truing to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.
There was a whole moral panic alleging that TikTok was teaching kids how to steal Kia Sportages, so it's good to know that the actual truth is that they're just annoying to unlock and not that today's youth can steal cars by twerking at them or whatever the tabloids were claiming.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Smartcars have the keyhole hidden in a door handle too. And a special sequence of things to do to lock the car if you don't have a key with a working beeper.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Allegedly, spruce and pine needles are all toxic to cats. My cats are absolute idiots and will eat anything green and then throw it up on the nearest non easy to clean surface so I figured plastic tree.

I'm now off work til January! Now I can catch up on the news and try to not drink myself into a coma.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoy the juxtaposition of "my cats are stupid and will consume things toxic to them" and "I am going to take in British news and alcohol"

(I am also an idiot animal and will consume the UK news and whiskey)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Precondition the car to whatever temperature you want in the app. If you share your calendar with it it'll know when you want to leave and do this anyway without you having to ask.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

mediaphage posted:

if it’s not below freezing i can’t imagine the car is so burdened with ice that it needs so much defrosting. personally i think that’s a bad habit to get into

Well, warm water or screen wash, one or the other is fine. As long as I'm not standing in the cold scraping anything. I'm cautious when it's below 0 remembering an incident - probably 30 years ago now :wth: - where my mum, rushing to take me to school, poured water over the windscreen that froze into a sheet by the time we got round the corner.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Enjoying this era of cars as escape rooms, where there's no idling motor to wake up the neighbours in the morning but they still get bothered by Richard O Brien playing his harmonica while your keyhole defrosts

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

There was a whole moral panic alleging that TikTok was teaching kids how to steal Kia Sportages, so it's good to know that the actual truth is that they're just annoying to unlock and not that today's youth can steal cars by twerking at them or whatever the tabloids were claiming.

They were selling cars without immobilizers, in the 21st century lmbo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I enjoy the juxtaposition of "my cats are stupid and will consume things toxic to them" and "I am going to take in British news and alcohol"

(I am also an idiot animal and will consume the UK news and whiskey)

Fair point...

My wife excitedly shouted at me while I was in the shower yesterday "have you seen the news???"

I opened up the BBC because she's American and still occasionally checks them for news, Kissenger wasn't on the front page at all. I asked "the RMT thing? the covid inquiry fuckery? the football abuse thing? The royal scandal or the weather?"

Speaking of, which were the actual named racist royals? (Other than all of them...) Every paper has said "we will not be naming them"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The one who was concerned about skin pigmentation is on the stamps and has bright pink sausage fingers.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Fair point...

My wife excitedly shouted at me while I was in the shower yesterday "have you seen the news???"

I opened up the BBC because she's American and still occasionally checks them for news, Kissenger wasn't on the front page at all. I asked "the RMT thing? the covid inquiry fuckery? the football abuse thing? The royal scandal or the weather?"

Speaking of, which were the actual named racist royals? (Other than all of them...) Every paper has said "we will not be naming them"

According to the radio, the book specifically mentioned Charles and Kate.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Hope this cold spell doesn't last! Forecast to warm up round here after next Tuesday inshallah.

My electric bill for this week is nearly £29 (very small 1 bed flat - heater in bedroom & living room + towel rail in bathroom that oscillates between 17 & about 18 C).
Last week it was £16 and before that around £12-£14 (after the tariff change).

We've also put all the storage heaters on in the corridors, so wretchedly cold and supposed to be -5C tonight! Last winter we were quite stingy with the communal heating but definitely noticed some deterioration in the building so we'll just have to suck it up. (Common parts is SSE non-domestic & on a tariff we fixed 18 months ago).

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mebh posted:

Every paper seems to have decided today that the new approach is to offhandedly name them in the body of the article, describe their alleged comments as 'discussing the baby's skin colour' and then start furiously monstering the translator and biographer for defaming our King Charles and beloved Kate.

It's all a bit berserk.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

grobbo posted:

It's all a bit berserk.

That seems to be the way the British people and media handle the royals. Sort of a frantic, frenzied obsession.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

killerwhat posted:

Well, warm water or screen wash, one or the other is fine. As long as I'm not standing in the cold scraping anything. I'm cautious when it's below 0 remembering an incident - probably 30 years ago now :wth: - where my mum, rushing to take me to school, poured water over the windscreen that froze into a sheet by the time we got round the corner.

Better that than thermal shock shattering the window, don't know if windows nowadays can survive thermal shock but not intending to try it.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
warm water out of the hot tap has always worked for me

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Cheers for the new thread Guavanaut.

My sleep issue is I get a twitchy leg. It’s always the same leg, and it starts in my hip muscle (as you can tell, I am a medical man who knows all the right medical words).

Currently my only solutions are a) cursing my own existence and b) guzzling Rescue Night like a stressed teacher. Stupid bastard leg.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

It even says in that wikipedia article that you could unlock them by inserting a random USB. Not everything is a moral panic.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.
I have some CBD gummies and it seems to be a toss-up as to whether they help me sleep or keep me awake 🤷🏻

mediaphage posted:

as an aside i’m glad melatonin works for so many of you. for me it’s always been practically homeopathy as it doesn’t absolutely nothing.
How much are you taking? I have read that taking too much can paradoxically prevent sleep, so taking less might help? (I’m having a hard time imagining how melatonin can do nothing since it’s the brain’s own sleep signalling chemical)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.
I would love to but it's £60 a bottle, unless you get it online in which case jesus christ do not buy medicines from online.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Precondition the car to whatever temperature you want in the app. If you share your calendar with it it'll know when you want to leave and do this anyway without you having to ask.
You can also use this feature to create a side hustle mushroom farming.

Do Teslas know when it's icy for adjusting self drive, or is this another thing where if it crashes you get told off for using the self drive thing to drive itself because you're not supposed to let it self drive?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Cool, my Coccyx is hosed and now I need a butt injection. Happy Christmas all!

I am weirdly still very comfortable in hospitals. I really hope that we can actually unfuck the NHS soon. It's just so depressing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

and now I need a butt injection.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

lmao please crosspost this in the Scadenfreude thread and/or the Tech Nightmares thread

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The two avatars are like a before and after. :rubby:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It even says in that wikipedia article that you could unlock them by inserting a random USB. Not everything is a moral panic.
The actual issue was that Kia were making bad cars though, not that tick tock was training teens to hack the gibson, so the way the papers phrased it was like blaming Primark for selling coat hangers that you could use to unlock old Mercs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

My sleep issue is I get a twitchy leg. It’s always the same leg, and it starts in my hip muscle (as you can tell, I am a medical man who knows all the right medical words).

Currently my only solutions are a) cursing my own existence and b) guzzling Rescue Night like a stressed teacher. Stupid bastard leg.

I have restless legs a lot, have you thought of a hitatchi or something? You can stick it up your arse if it doesn't help the leg.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TACD posted:

lmao please crosspost this in the Scadenfreude thread and/or the Tech Nightmares thread

Sure, I'll get on that.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The thing is, even if this is true (I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to check if my car has an immobiliser or not.) you have to be able get access to the inside of the car and insert the USB. Which if the car is locked, is pretty much a big stopping block. (I mean I had a spare key to the car. And it was pretty hard to get it open.)

I'm not saying it's perfectly secure, but equally, it's not some trivial "you can hold a phone up and haxxor any car you want."

Mebh posted:

That seems to be the way the British people and media handle the royals. Sort of a frantic, frenzied obsession.

The mad thing about the Royal Racisim Row is when Piers Morgan named the Royals on his show it was "I want to investigate the whole thing. Find out if they said it, in what context they said it and did they have a malicious intention in mind."
Which pretty much translates into "I want to give them multiple defences for why what they said wasn't so bad. Including a defence that we don't know what was in their heart, so it's fine."
Very normal.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Can report that a sleep study is about as much fun as a kidney stone. I don't remember having a less comfortable night with about a mile of wire going from me to a box hooked to the bed. Seemed incredibly low tech. I also don't remember sleeping a wink, but the tech says I did for a bit. Hopefully long enough that they have some data to work with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

The mad thing about the Royal Racisim Row is when Piers Morgan named the Royals on his show it was "I want to investigate the whole thing. Find out if they said it, in what context they said it and did they have a malicious intention in mind."
Which pretty much translates into "I want to give them multiple defences for why what they said wasn't so bad. Including a defence that we don't know what was in their heart, so it's fine."
Very normal.
opening a window into charles' soul and all the racism comes out and flies around the room like a swarm of wasps

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Piers Morgan, transformed into a nightmarish visage by the nesting racism wasps: "we can't actually prove anything from this"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Stupid bastard leg.

I have a small patch on the front of my left shin which 'triggers' that Im being touched there as if its a spider or insect crawling over it.
Used to hate it a lot as a kid, and can ignore it at will now. But sometimes it wakes me up, instantly thinking there is something in the bed with me.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 1, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

The Question IRL posted:

Very normal.
lol, took a quick look at the Mail's site, and they have two different frontpage articles that are both

'this BLACK person says there's NOTHING racist about talking about a baby's skin colour - THEY do it ALL THE TIME'

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I would love to but it's £60 a bottle, unless you get it online in which case jesus christ do not buy medicines from online.

This is why I get isolate from online and make my own. I was paying near £80 for 0.25g/ml, now paying £20 for 0.5g/ml. There are lab test results on the product page for the isolate from this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9rieux_NutriSciences

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

2.30 on Dec 1st and I’m already tucking into the Orange Matchmakers

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Do you sleep in a specific position?

You could try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees. This takes the weight of your legs off your spine and generally relaxes you. Give it a go for a few days at least.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jippa posted:

Do you sleep in a specific position?

You could try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees. This takes the weight of your legs off your spine and generally relaxes you. Give it a go for a few days at least.

This is the pro sleeping strat, minimises snoring and makes my dodgy knee feel much nicer after a long run

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm convinced I'd somehow manage to smother myself if I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This is what Maternity Pillows are for.

And best of all, you don't have to produce any Ultrasound scans to get a Maternity Pillow.
Anyone can buy one.