Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

This is what Maternity Pillows are for.

And best of all, you don't have to produce any Ultrasound scans to get a Maternity Pillow.
Anyone can buy one.

Or just google leg pillow/knee pillow.

3 is the magic number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's not like you need a special pillow. But as it happens I have a triangular one which I use for sitting up and watching screen and then it transfers between my legs very effectively, as long as my dog doesn't object to me moving an inch once she's settled

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, my sleeping problem is my cats settle down one either side and pin me, and when I manage to turn over they walk up and down me, compete to shove their bums in my face and occasionally hiss at each other.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
A couple of years of a cat jumping off the windowsill onto my groin at 5AM taught me the true power of doors.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Surprise T Rex posted:

On the train to Manchester today for a work thing, feeling like a bit of a scab since the ASLEF stuff is starting from today.

Also completely not used to this commuting lark at all, it’s a bit of a novelty.

Fwiw a while back I saw a RMT guy talking about people travelling on strike days and he was saying they really don't give a poo poo. If anything it's better because it puts more pressure on the system and emphasises the problems. Just be prepared for any disruption, suck it up if it happens, and remember to claim any delay repays to screw over the train companies. If you worked for the railways you'd be a scab, but as a passenger you're not.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Or just google leg pillow/knee pillow.

I've found that an anime body pillow makes a world of difference.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Something happened just after 4pm to all these networks:

My Three went off at 16:12 and Smarty at the same time (it uses the network), I couldn't get BTWifi to even show up at all, and after about 10 mins or so thought I would try my Lebara SIM (which goes on Vodafone) but as I was pfaffing about trying to decide how long to renew for (currently not activated), Three came back on so I don't know if Lebara was down. I didn't think to check my O2.

Was it a Coronal Mass Ejection or some kind of mass hack? Naturally, downdetector comments have complaints for each service saying it is useless and they're going to switch, but to what? Seems like they were all out!

Might be impact from Wednesday's CME:

A near X-class (M9.8) solar flare (R2-moderate) erupted yesterday at 19:50 UTC. It was sunspot region 3500 which was pretty much on the center of the earth-facing solar disk at the time that was the source of this eruption.

The eruption launched an asymmetrical full halo coronal mass ejection which means the coronal mass ejection is pretty much guarantied to hit Earth. A launch speed of about 1.100km/sec puts the arrival time at Earth for this eruption during the UTC afternoon or evening on Friday, 1 December.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news/view/512/20231129-m9-8-solar-flare-with-earth-directed-cme.html

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 1, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's like when all the Russian channels suddenly start showing Swan Lake instead of news. This is the signal that you need to join your comrades in the streets and dust off your guillotine

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's like when all the Russian channels suddenly start showing Swan Lake instead of news. This is the signal that you need to join your comrades in the streets and dust off your guillotine

It's too cold to be revolting today.

Don't know of any nice warm Telephone Exchanges to occupy as revolutionary hqs round here :qq:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMD8Epbhpk

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There should be some GPO bunkers somewhere near.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Didn't realise the UK had embraced Hoxhaist thought

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

There's one in a field near where my mum lived until a couple of year's ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Didn't realise the UK had embraced Hoxhaist thought
They're more underground than the Albanian ones, but about the same size.

Hoxhaism-Wombleism

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something happened just after 4pm to all these networks:

I noticed my phone suddenly said it was totally offline, mergency calls only, but it came back quickly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Hoxhaism-Wombleism

Finally, I know how to self-identify when the local candidates come door-knocking during election season

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Finally, I know how to self-identify when the local candidates come door-knocking during election season

Tell them you're a Posadist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Tell them you're a Posadist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nenonen posted:

I've found that an anime body pillow makes a world of difference.

You don't have to worry about someone else stealing the covers, for sure.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wonderful memes which I will be appropriating

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I have restless legs a lot, have you thought of a hitatchi or something? You can stick it up your arse if it doesn't help the leg.

I had not considered this. Definitely something to look into (not my arse) though, and would be a nice replacement for punching myself in the hip muscle bit.

happyhippy posted:

I have a small patch on the front of my left shin which 'triggers' that Im being touched there as if its a spider or insect crawling over it.
Used to hate it a lot as a kid, and can ignore it at will now. But sometimes it wakes me up, instantly thinking there is something in the bed with me.

I’m glad you can ignore it at will now, because that sounds like a nightmare, I wonder what causes that? Some kind of vestigial early warning system? And in bed with you in a fun times way or in an AAAAARGH way?

Jippa posted:

Do you sleep in a specific position?

You could try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees. This takes the weight of your legs off your spine and generally relaxes you. Give it a go for a few days at least.

I do sleep in a specific position, yes! I sleep on my side with a flap of duvet tucked between my boney knees. Thank you for the suggestion though, it was very thoughtful of you.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's not like you need a special pillow. But as it happens I have a triangular one which I use for sitting up and watching screen and then it transfers between my legs very effectively, as long as my dog doesn't object to me moving an inch once she's settled

You might need a special pillow. I used to use a normal pillow but my physio suggested the knee pillow and it's very different, it has a specific shape that supports the bones and stuff.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 1, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A head pillow is convex, a knee pillow is concave.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's too cold to be revolting today.

Coward, I'm revolting in any weather

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I had not considered this. Definitely something to look into (not my arse) though, and would be a nice replacement for punching myself in the hip muscle bit.

I have personally simply got gud at sleeping at least in that respect so I can fall asleep while constantly kicking my legs.

Probably less practical if you ever intend to share a bed with another human being or cat/dog however.

I do occasionally do a bit of leg punching though yes. I assume blasting it with a clit obliterator 9000 will work even better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.

CBD gives me an hours-long panic attack :(

Side sleeping is the way. I can never get comfy with a knee pillow though so I just go without.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I keep meaning to just get as many pillows as I can and sleep on a big pile of them like an upholstry dragon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I’m glad you can ignore it at will now, because that sounds like a nightmare, I wonder what causes that? Some kind of vestigial early warning system? And in bed with you in a fun times way or in an AAAAARGH way?

Thanks. Its not constant, and not a SUDDEN POKE like feeling, more that it was already there and is 'moving' across the skin. As a kid, it was more often, and it would catch me sometimes and I would look down and try to see what was on my leg, but usually I'd just scratch it with the other leg As for sleeping it can get me sometimes, confused sleepy freaking out something just walked over my legs.
gently caress knows what causes it, nerve damage, brain wiring mixed up, aliens, take your pick.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Was scrubbing older threads to find something and turned up this classic, content warning former Prime Minister:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Think of all the horny theresa may cartoonists that AI have put out of a job.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

josh04 posted:

Was scrubbing older threads to find something and turned up this classic, content warning former Prime Minister:

I’d certainly run through her wheat field

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

They were put out of a job when Liz became PM

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

They can retrain in cyber

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe you just need to dilute it more

i’ll put the box under my pillow next time

killerwhat posted:

Well, warm water or screen wash, one or the other is fine. As long as I'm not standing in the cold scraping anything. I'm cautious when it's below 0 remembering an incident - probably 30 years ago now :wth: - where my mum, rushing to take me to school, poured water over the windscreen that froze into a sheet by the time we got round the corner.

yeah my point is that pouring water onto a windshield is a very bad idea. i don’t even think those sprays are good because they will absolutely freeze in in cold weather when you get under speed

TACD posted:

I have some CBD gummies and it seems to be a toss-up as to whether they help me sleep or keep me awake 🤷🏻

How much are you taking? I have read that taking too much can paradoxically prevent sleep, so taking less might help? (I’m having a hard time imagining how melatonin can do nothing since it’s the brain’s own sleep signalling chemical)

i mean just because your body uses doesn’t mean that it’s exceptionally useful when taken orally though. it just doesn’t seem to do much for me regardless of dosage. it’s not a big deal.

lmao hanged. what a goof.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
it's unfortunate for everyone, most of all Madeley, that the thief didn't steal his blond hair dye instead.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
people like richard madeley, jeremy vine and pretty much everyone involved with the guardian are always one nicked phone away from calling for the death penalty lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh of course it's a new thread I was wondering why the ukmt wasn't popping up in my bookmarks today

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
remember them on twitter during the riots in... 2011 was it?

WE MUST HAVE MARTIAL LAW NOW, STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
THEY'VE SMASHED TOPSHOP'S WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOPSHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supaburn: