Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Kin posted:

Yeah, I grew up in a house where it was made very clear to me if something I got or went to was a "waste of money".

It didn't exactly make me feel good about wanting to do or get excited for things incase it turned out to be a "waste".

I'm talking no birthday cakes, no fireworks or bonfire nights, levels of "waste" because neither of my parents were a kid so didn't see value in taking part in any of that.

Hell, one of my most vivid childhood memories was from when I was 11. I'd saved up pocket money for months to buy Sonic 3, but I finished it in just a few hours after getting it home. I really liked that game but was terrified of what my parents would say and hid it from them by pretending to play it for the next few weeks so I wouldn't get into trouble.

Never let your kids hear you say that something they did or wanted was a loving waste.

I hope you never told them about the $10 you spent to post on a dead gay forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Kin posted:

Yeah, I grew up in a house where it was made very clear to me if something I got or went to was a "waste of money".

It didn't exactly make me feel good about wanting to do or get excited for things incase it turned out to be a "waste".

I'm talking no birthday cakes, no fireworks or bonfire nights, levels of "waste" because neither of my parents were a kid so didn't see value in taking part in any of that.

Hell, one of my most vivid childhood memories was from when I was 11. I'd saved up pocket money for months to buy Sonic 3, but I finished it in just a few hours after getting it home. I really liked that game but was terrified of what my parents would say and hid it from them by pretending to play it for the next few weeks so I wouldn't get into trouble.

Never let your kids hear you say that something they did or wanted was a loving waste.

But they granted you the gift of frugality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Perfect Element posted:

I hope you never told them about the $10 you spent to post on a dead gay forum.

Best value purchase they've ever made :hai:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/JohnJCrace/status/1762814863435243888?s=20

The Guardian's parliamentary sketch writer.

Heeeee-larious.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

forkboy84 posted:

Heeeee-larious.

true, they are embracing islamophobia now exactly how the labour party did antisemitism under corbyn: they aren't, it has always been there and it just happens that the media suddenly started giving it serious attention now a narrative has been formed

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

... "There's nothing you can do!"...

I wonder if they will even experience regret from this situation... any victory they imagine will taste like ashes.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

*Ron Howard voice*

fuctifino posted:

there was something I could do

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just Another Lurker posted:

I wonder if they will even experience regret from this situation... any victory they imagine will taste like ashes.
My brother doesn't do regret when it comes to his own actions, as he's a pure narcissist who can do no wrong. But he'll definitely hold a lot of resentment over my 'troublemaking' by delaying him getting his hands on his windfall. In his two-dimensional brain, he thinks I'm just a drug-addict troublemaker who lost his mind on skunk cannabis. He actually told me this the last time I spoke to him on the phone. When I pointed out that I'm prescribed skunk cannabis by a Harley Street clinic, and it's genetically the same skunk cannabis that I was using 15+ years ago, he said "You're making me angry!" and hung up.

I know he's going to burn through his cash in no time, probably end up in even greater debt than he's in at the moment and it'll be then that he'll spend his time focusing on the thousands of pounds that he didn't get due to my 'troublemaking'. That anger and resentment will grow the older and more bitter he becomes, and as the bailiffs and court sheriffs come knocking once again, but he'll never consider his situation any of his making... it'll all be down to my 'troublemaking'....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

In his two-dimensional brain, he thinks I'm just a drug-addict troublemaker who lost his mind on skunk cannabis.

Wait, are we meant to be disagreeing with him?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Rarity posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Wait, are we meant to be disagreeing with him?

I think we can all agree that I'm more than just a drug-addict troublemaker who lost his mind on skunk cannabis?

e: On the weed subject, I've recently switched to macro-dosing using <0.03g bowls in the ball vape:

I've hit peak efficiency :toot: :420:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 29, 2024

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

fuctifino posted:

I'm just a drug-addict troublemaker

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say you are possibly the person I have met who delights most in making trouble while also having a good idea who to direct trouble at.

Possibly an aspect of some trickster god.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fuctifino posted:

I think we can all agree that I'm more than just a drug-addict troublemaker who lost his mind on skunk cannabis?
Sci-fi bong MacGyver, for one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would say you are possibly the person I have met who delights most in making trouble while also having a good idea who to direct trouble at.

Possibly an aspect of some trickster god.
Like some kind of skunk Anansi?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TACD posted:

I've recently fallen down the Meshtastic rabbithole, so packet radio comms pretender too at the moment. I'm currently waiting for this to get to me, which is going to be my home node:

I've also bought the bits to make this, which is a tiny battery operated all-in-one communicator

And I'm also planning to build a solar/battery relay for the back garden at some stage.

Meshtastic is a de-centralised texting communication system that uses Lora 868mhz to create mesh networks for SMS style texting. Most nodes use a mobile app to connect with and use via WiFi or bluetooth to connect with the phone. It's encrypted, and you can create completely private channels if need be. It's a cheap hobby, fairly simple to do, yet is super nerdy at the same time. It's taken off in a big way since a few youtubers have focused on it in recent months.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 29, 2024

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rarity posted:

Yup, can't think of anything better I've ever spent money on for cost/benefit ratio.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Like some kind of skunk Anansi?

this pun is Weak

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

fuctifino posted:

e: On the weed subject, I've recently switched to macro-dosing using <0.03g bowls in the ball vape:

I've hit peak efficiency :toot: :420:

You're vaping them now too?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

If I wasn't happy with my username and maintained a fairly consistent online identity, Bong McGyver would be a fine alternative.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
.nm

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 29, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/two-candidates-battling-to-stand-for-labour-against-corbyn/

Including Paul "state asset" Mason.

quote:

A former BBC Newsnight presenter and a respected local councillor are battling to become the Labour candidate to take on Jeremy Corbyn in Islington North at the next general election, Jewish News can reveal.

Meanwhile at least four names are seeking support for their campaigns to be selected to fight the Hackney North and Stoke Newington seat, in the event that the veteran MP Diane Abbott does not have the Labour whip returned in time to stand for the party again.

(Sorry for the Lee Harpin article link but I saw fleetingly that Mason was standing in Islington and this was the first link I came across).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hiding bungs so people don’t say mean things to me on Twitter

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

forkboy84 posted:

Heeeee-larious.

Could never read him again after he wrote a piece about a Labour event that I actually attended and completely loving lied about it. If the one article that I could physically verify was bullshit, how could I trust anything else that he wrote, ever?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Hiding bungs so people don’t say mean things to me on Twitter

Amazing thing about this is that it only reinforces the attitudes of genuine antisemites (rather than people who are simply criticise Israel) that rich Jews are using their wealth to secretly run the world.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If I had £700k to donate to a political party I highly doubt I'd have concerns about my safety given I likely have a chauffeur and gated mansion.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tesseraction posted:

If I had £700k to donate to a political party I highly doubt I'd have concerns about my safety given I likely have a chauffeur and gated mansion.

Yeah but you'd also be a huge pissbaby

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Particularly if I was a donor to this shower of cunts, yeah.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Could never read him again after he wrote a piece about a Labour event that I actually attended and completely loving lied about it. If the one article that I could physically verify was bullshit, how could I trust anything else that he wrote, ever?

He can be a funny writer, but he is such a melt and Starmer simp it's unreal. Like virtually every article he writes about the tories includes a few approving lines about how sensible and forensic Labour are in comparison, and even when he does write a critical article it's still extremely generous compared to the bile he used to spew about Corbyn every day.

He is the textbook example of a stereo typical 'metropolitan elite' Guardianista... Affluent, comfortable, and absolutely content with current neolib hell, because he's doing alright, so why change it?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
In other news, poo poo, Dave Myers died. He always seemed like a decent bloke, and they put out some of the most reliable quality cookbooks around. Rip.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

The Perfect Element posted:

In other news, poo poo, Dave Myers died. He always seemed like a decent bloke, and they put out some of the most reliable quality cookbooks around. Rip.

Yeah RIP.

What I love about those guys is that they are cooks as well as chefs. There is a lot to be said for food that is local, accessible and tasty, rather than reading some twats 20 step guide to making a bacon sandwich.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah where there's an overabundance of "I would simply import artisan asparagus from Malacca, wait why are the proles just eating chips didn't their parents teach them how to cook?" bullshit :wankah: it was nice to have something that was not that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Their recipes for staples like Chili con carne or various stews were both creative and reliably tasty imho. Rest in Peas

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Slightly shamefully, theirs is the best curry cookbook that I own, and I own many.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just got ahead of my finances (having cut my working hours this year) and bridge falls out. My NHS dentist is on holiday for 2 weeks and the bridge is right next to front tooth so has to be fixed quickly as if I don't I might lose front tooth as well. £171 to see emergency private dentist tomorrow to glue it back on.
When I first got this job a couple of years ago, the original tooth broke off (thanks, cashews!) and I ended up spending the whole of my first 4 months pay on wretched emergency dentistry as I hadn't been able to get on an NHS list.
First world problems?

(Fortunately, have credit card).

When I see idiots online saying they could easily exist on whatever the current rate of benefits is or the state pension, they don't seem to realize all you need is one thing like this to go wrong and your finances are wrecked (let alone a boiler needs replacing or whatever!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 29, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Baddiel is trending, and it’s as poo poo as you’d expect from Britains premiere comic racist intellectual

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What is it?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/DachshundColin/status/1762902012385980510

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

First world problems?

Doesn't seem like the First World, no