Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
We all think the same as Madeley when we get wronged. We just don't have the opportunity to go on telly the next day and yell it, and also like get encouraged to think like even more killing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

crispix posted:

people like richard madeley, jeremy vine and pretty much everyone involved with the guardian are always one nicked phone away from calling for the death penalty lol

Wasn't the popular rumour that the main reason the Daily Mail was surprisingly sympathetic to Stephen Lawrence's death and to his family was because Lawrence's father had done some interior decorating for Paul Dacre?

Some people really don't have any more morally complex code than "that which benefits me is good, that which harms or even mildly inconveniences me is evil"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you think petty theft deserves hanging that's more a you thing I'm afraid. I've been mugged and my worst desire was that they get a longer sentence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I often think that most people work that way, to be honest.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Wasn't the popular rumour that the main reason the Daily Mail was surprisingly sympathetic to Stephen Lawrence's death and to his family was because Lawrence's father had done some interior decorating for Paul Dacre?

Yeah, exactly that. Which was shockingly progressive given Dacre's general view on ethnic minorities. Or any minorities really.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

If you think petty theft deserves hanging that's more a you thing I'm afraid. I've been mugged and my worst desire was that they get a longer sentence.

Bollocks

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's not petty theft. It's a direct attack on you. And that can never be forgiven.

It's the same way posters in this thread have decreed that thinking things different to the way they think things should be a death sentence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thinking some things differently to me will be a death sentence regardless of my opinion on the matter.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

100% of people of think, die

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kecske posted:

100% of people of think, die

exactly

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not petty theft. It's a direct attack on you. And that can never be forgiven.
It's true, there are zero examples in history of people being attacked and then later forgiving their attacker.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Some people really don't have any more morally complex code than "that which benefits me is good, that which harms or even mildly inconveniences me is evil"
Pretty sure it popped up in Nick Davies' book "Flat Earth News". It also has another bit about how the Daily Mail would send reporters out to cover a story and halfway through the journey they'd be asked to return to the office because they found out the people involved in it are black.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jesus posted:

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 But that's you bitches. If any motherfucker tries that poo poo on Me, I'll crucify them My Goddamn self.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 2, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It's true, there are zero examples in history of people being attacked and then later forgiving their attacker.

lol. do you think thats like my thoughts or like...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been the victim of GBH and the perpetrator wasn't caught. I didn't want him to go to jail for a long sentence (I was basically fine once the headache and swelling wore off) but I wanted him to suffer some sort of consequence, otherwise where's the incentive to stop committing GBH?
I've also been mugged a couple of times and it's upsetting in the short term and really loving annoying beyond that, but - again - the perps don't deserve serious jail time for that.
Earlier this year, I was knocked off my bike by a driver who was 100% in the wrong. But I didn't notify the police because despite it being the van driver's fault, where's the benefit in the driver experiencing hardship for something that very much seemed to be a complete accident?

Low-effort/quality trolls, though, definitely deserve to at least have their hands cut off. I was going to suggest "kneecapping", but that'd just give them more reason to stay at home and contribute to climate change.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol. do you think thats like my thoughts or like...

I dunno what else "can never be forgiven" means

(You said a silly hyperbolic statement and I decided to take it at face value for humours sake)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've committed assaults against people on a few occasions and fortunately never had to deal with the consequences.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've committed assaults against people on a few occasions and fortunately never had to deal with the consequences.

Did they deserve it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Did they deserve it?

They complained that his Tesla on full self driving swerved directly into them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Previous posts answering one another

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Every time you post it's an assualt :boom:

But to take it seriously;

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We all think the same as Madeley when we get wronged. We just don't have the opportunity to go on telly the next day and yell it, and also like get encouraged to think like even more killing them

We don't all think the same as him (I've been mugged and I wouldn't have gone further than saying the guy needed a hiding) but even if we did, it doesn't matter, because societies have spent thousands of years codifying criminal laws, delineating specific limits for punishment and sentencing, establishing courts, figuring out how to ensure judges (and later, juries) are as impartial as possible, precisely because we need that to be administered by people removed from the incident and with no connections to anyone involved. This is because dealing with crime based on the outrage of victims (Or worse, the public) is a really bad idea, and doing so based on sober reflection at some remove is a less bad idea.

Note that I do not argue we succeed in most of those things, and I don't think the system we have is a good one even if we did, but the mere fact we make the attempt (Or pretense if you're more cynical) rather than just arresting the bloke and asking Madeley "Where do you want the gallows set up mate?" shows we're pretty well devoted to not having it governed by vengeance.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

people in this thread have called for my death on several occasions for having the wrong car or being a landlord. But gently caress... some silly oval office on itv or wherever the gently caress he is means something

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
being a landlord is much worse for society than nicking a celebrity's phone tbf.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

people in this thread have called for my death on several occasions for having the wrong car or being a landlord. But gently caress... some silly oval office on itv or wherever the gently caress he is means something

Nicking a celebrity's phone is a victimless crime OP, being a landlord or driving a car (let us be clear, there is no right car) are not. Hope that helps.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Nicking a celebrity's phone is a victimless crime OP, being a landlord or driving a car (let us be clear, there is no right car) are not. Hope that helps.

one worthy of death?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Nicking a celebrity's phone is a victimless crime

By the way it isnt. i'ts often a threat of violence. And if you want to debate the hierarchy of violence... then oh dear

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Are you actually a landlord or do you mean you've erected a horrible attempt at a throne on your purchased rectangle and call yourself Njanninetynine, First of His Name?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I kinda do want them to set up some gallows the next day and be like, "yep, we caught him Mr Madeley. We're moving the good morning set to the execution room. 10am right after the weather?" And just see if he doubles down or admits that he's a twat and didn't mean it.

Except that's pretty much how we'd get the televised hunger games isn't it.

I mean for fucks sake. Any mild inconvenience that let's them be all decorum like they're on the right side of an issue and they turn into the dishwasher loading lady from the oatmeal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was mugged once, sort of. I was very confused, and I think overall I would like it if he was stopped from doing it to anyone else. I just don't think that at the moment, there are really any systems in our society that are able to do that.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Rich dude gets mugged. He can a) Blame the society that he personally has been successful in, bringing his own self-worth into question or b) Blame the individual who violated his privilege and go to bed safe in the knowledge that he deserves whatever the gently caress it is that he thinks he has.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was mugged once, sort of. I was very confused, and I think overall I would like it if he was stopped from doing it to anyone else. I just don't think that at the moment, there are really any systems in our society that are able to do that.

The thing to note here is that you jumped to 'things should be different' rather than 'I deserve better'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was mugged one time (1999ish) - been out for a curry in Mile End so I was full of curry & lager.

The kid (about 15/16 yo) jumped on my back, ripped my backpack off and ran off with it.
I gave chase but he was quite fast for me, a couple of guys joined the chase and caught him but they wouldn't let me touch him.

He's still in counselling.

Lessons learned (by mugger): Don't mug women with the entire Water Margin & several seasons of Xena Warrior Princess on tape.

Anyway, we all were hoiked off to Chingford nick in a convoy of cop cars. Turns out he was doing work experience at that nick and knew where all the CCTV didn't point (he mugged me just round the corner from the CCTV). I was shaken (I didn't realize how much til I had to come home the same way the next night and some arsehole bloke decided to follow me for a laugh. He's also still in counselling.) I did feel sorry for his mum though when she turned up at the nick.

The statement was funny - cop says to me "and what did you say to him" I said "I screamed in his face - give me back my bag you bastard" and the cop wrote that I said "please give me back my bag".

Did get my bag back with my flat keys and phone - else I would have been locked out with no means of communication on a cold & frosty night.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes - I did meet a woman a few months later who had been mugged in exactly the same place in almost exactly the same manner (probably by the same perp) and she was terrified and hadn't gone out of her home alone for months. So yeah- if there had been someway of stopping the little poo poo from doing it again, that would have been good. But locking a 16yo up in prison is not, I'm sure, the right answer.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 2, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I had my phone nicked by a moped driver and I briefly hoped he'd crash but that's about it.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think we should kill people for doing crimes but I also think we can extend a little grace to people who have been victims of crimes expressing anger and upset

having anything stolen from you is not simply a minor inconvenience, let alone something with personal info like a phone. jesus christ thread

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

killerwhat posted:

If it’s not below freezing, this works well and quickly: pour warm tap water over the windows to melt the frost. Then use the wipers and screen wash - it’s got antifreeze in it.

I'm fine using the scraper on the windscreen, it's waiting for the engine to get hot enough to blow warm enough air to demist the inside. Where I live they have these bright-rear end white LED street lamps and if there's any condensation inside, when they shine through you can see absolutely nothing.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

The Question IRL posted:

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

Not a huge issue, but when you are truing to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.

All that tech, you would have thought there would be a 'its freezing today so just switch on and run until engine is hot' button.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

one worthy of death?

Yes, clearly.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

By the way it isnt. i'ts often a threat of violence. And if you want to debate the hierarchy of violence... then oh dear

Richard Madeley does wrongthink and therefore loses his personhood therefore robbing him is victimless. QED

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's not good for cars to be started cold, also bad for fuel economy and the environment to leave them running while cold.

A block heater is an electric heater, perhaps with a pump, that heats the engines coolant. I'm always surprised at how rare they seem to be outside Norway-Sweden-Finland where it's standard equipment unless the car has it's own webasto.

We're thinking of getting one, the fuel consumption when we start driving on a cold day is noticeably much, much higher and there are a lot of cold days. I thought it was nice in Finland how almost every car park has a place to plug your heater block in, that is much less common in Norway. We'd need to figure out how to get power to our driveway though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I wish death or severe misfortune on people who drive recklessly, especially if I've got my kids in the car with me. Like, at the time at least, I have a genuine desire that the person that nearly killed me and my family gets in a terrible car accident which harms them and only them. So, I guess I thirst for vengeance, but in such a way that it's self inflicted by the guilty party. Is that OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

They're more underground than the Albanian ones, but about the same size.

Hoxhaism-Wombleism

Now this is an ideology I can get behind / inside.