Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

fuctifino posted:

her weird legs-apart pose that mimics the Tory power stance (which also mimics a Liz Truss photoshoot).

They teach that dumb stuff to senior managers in big companies. At the bank I work for, all the middle management and above went on courses where some consultancy firm came in and showed them appropriate power stances, gave them actual training in how to give firm handshakes and important sounding ways to use buzzwords and say poo poo to staff in meetings, and all sorts of bullshit like that. The last batch of them to do it were during the summer and we could see them outside in the office grounds, standing in two lines facing each other and practicing handshakes and powerstancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

I've always been asked first if I'm happy to have a load of students look at the weird lump on my stoma or whatever I'm going under the knife for that time. I'm fine with that; a few more people seeing my innards isn't a problem.

They're even in a medical textbook somewhere, I'm told.

When I last went to a podiatry clinic, they had students doing all the initial analysis and an I assume fully qualified podiatrist going round checking how they were doing. But he was testing them on their reasoning in depth, so I sat there really awkwardly while some poor student panicked and gave apparently increasingly wrong answers about what might be the problem with my foot and why they thought it was the case. I felt really sorry for them cause they were getting super flustered and the podiatrist was pretty abrupt with them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
More great news about the state of things https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

I know that the backlog local dentists got into during covid was grim, but this just stocks up more and more for later problems and people get hosed so hard by it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Most of the stock in those "American Candy" shops is expired and not meant to be sold. The money laundering is done by opening a second business and buying all the stock from the first business at a premium before closing it down. Rinse and repeat, so to speak.

All the corner shop/convenience store places around here also have a small display of american candy (together with a big sign in the doorway advertising it). I assume that's where it goes after its failed to sell in the high street american candy shops.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I will not tolerate that poo poo anymore, you can be interesting right out the gate or you can gently caress off. I'm willing to overlook a show's problems because sometimes a concept needs room to breathe and grow, but with a lot of slow shows that's not the case and the writers are just dragging their feet. Since people brought up BSG, consider how strongly that began - the opening episode immediately starts in the middle of a crisis with a really unique premise, and even once it settles down it throws out an interesting new problem each week.

I've long since concluded that you need a decent episodic structure for anything to be worth watching, even when a longer serialised story is the main draw. Any show where the episode descriptions are some variant of "A talks to B. C makes a decision. D confronts E" are absolute trash that are not, never were and never will be worth wasting your time on. This is the hill I will die on beyond the point of reason.

Thomas Jane's dumb-rear end hat was almost enough to make me turn off the Expanse in its own right. If I wanted to see a fedora-wearing dork, I'd obviously just turn off my monitor.

TBH I think event-of-the-week shows or ones with an arc interspersed with other side stuff benefit from being watched with one of those guides that tells you which episodes you can safely skip over. I love Deep Space 9 and while there are some really good early eps, there are also some incredibly terrible episodes in the early seasons. If I wasn't wallowing in nostalgia about it when I started rewatching recently, I'd have stopped watching before it gets great because there are some that are just so bad.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is it worth getting hold of? I've downloaded a few series in the past and abandoned them eg Outlander (watched whole of series 1 but Miss Goody Two Shoes was getting on my nerves by the end - my niece implores me to persist - says she improves in the following series - but I haven't done so yet).

For All Mankind is probably the best show I've watched since The Americans. The first two seasons of FAM are legit incredible and some episodes are a masterclass in how to build tension or drop a surprise twist. Not watched season 4 yet, but season 3 isn't quite as good as the first two. It's kind of getting slightly less interesting as it goes, because it's becoming more of a sci-fi show than cool alt-history but it's definitely worth it.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Thanks *google shopping searches the price of a new phone* fffffuuuuuck me

Had no problems with this site for a great condition 2nd hand phone last year https://www.backmarket.co.uk/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

I do sometimes wonder about the psychology of the anti-mask anti-vax anti-everything people, like the David Ickes and Piers Corbyns of the world.

Which is not at all to say that I think all of those people are autistic, nor that neurodivergent people believe in space lizards, just that "don't have to unmask, but a lot of people hit middle age" also made me think on a tangent about the people who hit a certain age and suddenly start openly going on about the moon landing being a hoax by magic iguanas to force us to eat the pod and wear the mask. Did they always think along those lines and were just quiet in social situations, or did their train of thought suddenly get derailed by illuminati spies putting pennies on the track?

Empty nesters who retired comfortably and suddenly have endless free time and can now doomscroll to their hearts content paired with (and sometimes the same people as) those who suddenly found due to their own circumstances during the pandemic that they were able or keen to read the news (or terrible online forums, youtube channels and whatever) more than they had before and fall down those rabbit holes. And potentially due to those changes in circumstances, a change in the kind of people they interact with, and less exposure to people who are less close to them or are a more diverse group.

And, obviously, the restrictions during the pandemic being absolutely horrifying to people who lived in privilege and believed they were Terribly Important so rules shouldn't apply to them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

I’m aware it’s a bad thing, I’ve said so several times, but bad things do occasionally happen

my point is that people saying “Tesco should do X or Y” don’t seem to understand that there is no process involving X or Y that currently exists

That's the failing though imo. If things are happening that impact your customers and cause them harm of some kind, then it's a choice not to establish a process.

I work for a financial firm and have sat in on plenty of emergency response meetings where something happens that may not even be our organisations fault, but customers are getting left out of pocket or suddenly can't pay for things they expected to be able to pay for. Decisions get made as to whether to do things, and some of those decisions are to develop and turn around in a matter of hours processes that didn't exist previously when it's really important. Yeah it's difficult, and maybe open to abuse, or open to lovely follow-on decisions about who gets the benefit of this and who doesn't - but it's a choice not to be able to do it.

The people more likely to get treated sympathetically by the papers or have journalist mates aren't the ones getting the lovely end of the stick in this situation though, so of course nothing gets done.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if I can get that place I saw at goth weekend that does the vinyl wrapped coffins and they had a giant help for heroes branded coffin as a demo, if I could get them to do me a gothic help for heroes grit box.

This place near me does that. https://www.goasyouplease.com/packages/personalised-package/

Greggs? Newcastle Brown? They got you covered. They've got a Tennents one in the window at the mo I think.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

smellmycheese posted:

lol indeed if we have to yet again go through all that insane bollocks of “the queue” and Prince Nonce and chums guarding the sacred coffin.

Extremely lmao if the economy gets cratered by a second funeral and coronation.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Just Another Lurker posted:

Wonder if they have even set up the funereal details yet for C3, Liz is only just in the ground. :lol:

yeah, planning is happening, it's Operation Menai Bridge (Liz was London Bridge). Big firms that would get affected by Chuck popping his clogs are all gearing up their planning for sure.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

fuctifino posted:

e: Also, who put 50p in the oval office meter?
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1756646700779798607

He's also been on a NIMBY drive to ban windfarms on UK land

According to backstage goss from the Macbeth production he's in, Fiennes is a complete oval office IRL to anyone he works with. Not the problematic sex pest kind, just a total arrogant arsehole, yelling at all the crew etc.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

The worst an "over the top" trigger warning is gonna make me do is glaze over while it shows/is read out. But that's fine, this warning wasn't meant for me, and it's not going to change the way I consume whatever media it is.

The way some chain food places do allergy/ingredient information would work as a useful kind of analogy for how entertainment warnings could work - where you have the allergy information front and centre and then you can get the ingredient/detailed nutritional information on a website or leaflet as supporting info if there are very specific things you want to avoid or take into consideration.

Continue/expand the kind of 'big ticket' warnings for sexual assault, graphic violence etc on listings, store pages etc but then have easily accessible far more detailed warnings elsewhere for those who have particular concerns that they want to avoid.

Those Christian 'family review' type sites that slate any violent or amoral games and movies do tend to be actually good for this kind of thing. They generally give a breakdown of exactly what kind of unpleasantness happens which can be useful if there are certain kinds of thing you want to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

Still thinking about that Big Naan

Was great going to a place where you got a nearly table-sized naan with a friend who hadn't seen one before. The staff started moving plates and glasses to the edge of the table to make space before bringing it over, and he thought they were just doing a bit as a joke until he saw the size of what they were bringing.