Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah in my experience the dream team (LOL!) is melatonin to get me tired / send me to sleep at a normal time and occasionally glycine to keep me asleep for a nice long time (though I usually feel a bit groggy waking up)

Never even bothered going to the GP over sleep issues as I assumed they’ll just say unhelpful things about sleep hygiene I already know. I’ve been taking melatonin for years and my brain hasn’t exploded yet (he said, fate tempting-ishly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

just remembered I still need to buy a Christmas tree, lol

Any recommendations for a small or sort of collapsible tree for a flat with not much space?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.
I have some CBD gummies and it seems to be a toss-up as to whether they help me sleep or keep me awake 🤷🏻

mediaphage posted:

as an aside i’m glad melatonin works for so many of you. for me it’s always been practically homeopathy as it doesn’t absolutely nothing.
How much are you taking? I have read that taking too much can paradoxically prevent sleep, so taking less might help? (I’m having a hard time imagining how melatonin can do nothing since it’s the brain’s own sleep signalling chemical)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

Not a huge issue, but when you are truing to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.

lmao please crosspost this in the Scadenfreude thread and/or the Tech Nightmares thread

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Not sure what the moral is. Don't have Tory parents that ring the cops? It's not worth it and doesn't actually help anyone.
The moral is the “no half measures” speech from Breaking Bad; if that lad had been hanging from a gibbet outside your house slowly dying for a week, and then you’d put his head up on a spike in the garden, I reckon you’d have had fewer lit cigarettes through the letterbox.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kecske posted:

an angry red faced old guy yells 'gently caress!' a lot. you have now watched succession

https://twitter.com/Buncahn/status/1183446961023676416

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s foolish to watch American TV shows before the entire series has concluded IMO; most of them either get renewed until the quality plummets or cancelled very early on. And there’s so many shows now it’s rare to even be able to talk about a recent episode with colleagues or friends.

Wait until the whole thing is done and watch if it’s good as a whole.

(I am a hypocrite because I’ve already started watching Severance 🤷🏻)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nenonen posted:

*monkey paw curls*

"The failed Rwanda deal was the last straw that broke Sunak's support among the party, paving way to Suella Braverman's entry to Downing Street 10."
Braverman kills the policy to regain control and Starmer pledges to see it through if elected

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

What the gently caress do we even have to look forward to as a country?
Climate change rapidly entering the “find out” phase and possibly leading to the collapse of capitalism in our lifetime?

ThomasPaine posted:

What really gets me is that I genuinely don't understand why our politicians are so committed to everything being terrible forever.
The ones making all the noise and terrible policies are just very, very stupid. Most of the others are just lazy careerists who will go along with whatever.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

So they're really going to try it today, huh? Literally going to pass the We Are Racist Morons Who Don't Understand Law Act 2023 that won't change our supreme court ruling because they already said that UK law was only one half of why this plan was illegal, the other being international law.

Sure, force a vote on this you sons and daughters of seven generations of bastards.
From the Graun liveblog:

quote:

The bill would require all domestic courts to accept that Rwanda is safe and not to consider any review or appeal brought on the grounds that it is not – even if there is compelling evidence in support.
literally just hardcoding RWANDA=SAFE into law. This approach works great in my job, don’t see why UK law should be any more complicated :downs:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It may take a while though. When I had to do a dispute the landlord didn’t submit any evidence or statements at all and when the deadline passed the mediators (or whatever the protection scheme people are called) said “oh well we’d better give them a bit more time” and after another month or two of no response from the landlord, finally gave me my money back.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Sunak wants to extend No Nut November to the full year.

edit: I have a firefox extension that automatically declines all optional cookies.
I would simply have a Firefox extension that declines all of my nuts

TACD fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 15, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WhatEvil posted:

It's just that you would think that a $140bn company would have its poo poo together... if you had no experience of the world under capitalism.
For corporations, getting away with charging outrageous fees while providing outrageous service is the epitome of having your poo poo together

E: 55 contains an aliquot sum of 17. I’m not linking the Wikipedia page, you can look it up yourself. Merry Christmas! 👹

TACD fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 18, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobstar posted:

My UPS story: I booked my phone in with Apple for a new battery during the lockdown, and got an email saying "UPS will pick up your phone with a special box. Under no circumstances must you pack your phone inside anything, or it WILL be rejected!!!"

UPS sub-sub-contractor (guy in a van) turns up, looks at my bare iPhone like "wtf am I supposed to do with that?", goes away again while I sort it out with Apple.

Spent a few days going back and forth with Apple support (guy in his bedroom in England), escalated to a manager (guy in his bedroom in Ireland), none of them had any idea how to make these two ideas work together.

I just gave up in the end.
:confused: I'm pretty sure they're supposed to send you the box first, so you can put the phone in it and stick labels on it and then summon UPS to collect it when you're ready.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve never heard of devils on horseback until we saw them while doing the Christmas food shop yesterday and apparently I’m not the only one. They sound loving vile TBH

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tigey posted:

Even the original image looks AI generated
the original human looks and acts AI generated

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Amber Rudd shagged a breakdown truck?
this will just about fit in the TMNT rhythm but it’s not ideal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Repost to offend a leftoid, bet 99% won't DARE :smug:
Why would you go to the effort of setting this up and have a “Numatic” red instead of Henry :ssj:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BalloonFish posted:

the weekly suck-up
i should be so lucky

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Merry Christmas all 🎄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJztkDaURJY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I got my partner a giant hoodie for Christmas and didn't notice until we were taking the tags off that it's advertised as "energy saving". Grim 😬

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

why the gently caress would we watch Christmas TV when we’ve just bought Baldur’s Gate 3 in the Steam sale :getin:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DS9 was the best classic Trek because it was a bit darker than the rest and blended episodic content into a compelling multi-season arc. Paradoxically, all the new Trek blows because it’s OTT dark or “quirky” and focuses exclusively on seasonal arcs at the expense of individual episodes or character building.

Dabir posted:

Discovery is the worst because between spinning cameras, the visual overload of Star Wars lasers and infinite turbolift dimensions, and the hideous alien makeup, it's genuinely physically sickening to even look at, and that's before you try to engage with the crew of supposed professionals with the personalities of excitable teenagers flying around crying at everything because the only thing the writers can agree on is that having trauma is deep.
I gave Discovery an honest try but I knew it was never going to recover when they did a big emotional send-off episode for the death of a character whose name I didn’t even know (because they spend 90% of the show focusing on one person).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mega Comrade posted:

Season 1 of TNG is notoriously poor. There are like 2 episodes worth your time.

What happened between season 1 and 2 I have no idea.
lmao season 1 Troi can barely even speak, she just does empathic moans

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bessantj posted:

No, we do rail maintenance.
A rail maintenance gang?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao I know we’ve been a post-satire society for a while but framing a “promise to lift the national mood” as a concrete change is really something

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

And yes it keeps letting me make my terrible posts.
Nokia are still selling feature phones :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I do truly believe Labour will be better at convincing people that increasing hardship is regrettably necessary

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sanford: what happens when you are sick or take some well-earned leave? If your immediate response is “lol I’m too busy to do either” then that should be a red flag with cartoon AWOOGA klaxon that you’re being overworked and burnout is on the way.

E: to clarify, your own individual workload and stress is what you should be bringing up to your boss. It’s up to him to connect the dots and hire someone new or whatever, but if he’s not entirely stupid he’ll want to know his employee is seriously overburdened.

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 9, 2024

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(I don't really get the whole Girl Scout Cookie thing - other than Wednesday Addams saying "are they made with real Girl Scouts" but I used to know someone who every year made thousands of these things together with her daughter every year. I think they mostly buy them ready made these days to sell on but I might be wrong).
Yeah I always got the impression the Girl Scouts made them, I was surprised to learn that Girl Scout Cookies is basically just a special brand of cookies (with several different varieties) that you can only buy from the Girl Scouts once a year (or however often they go around selling them).

I tried some last time I was in the states and they are fierce tasty to be fair.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

This is the sort of analysis we really need

Rule of Acquisition #34: War is good for business.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like a fat red man with a chode coughing up a cloud of COVID while doing a tiny little poop

it’s perfect

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sanford posted:

I’m really sorry you feel that way. I read your original post and thought yes, exactly. When people ask why I’ve been sticking up for him in word and deed all this time, your post is the answer. But when he’s talking to us on WhatsApp on New Year’s Day about looking forward to getting back to work tomorrow knowing full well he’s in Spain and doesn’t have a flight booked in the next twelve hours, I have to start wondering just how much I can keep this up. Don’t you see that?

Sorry Crispix I tried.
I agree you’re definitely being shafted and given too much work but the colleague is a red herring. All the actual problems, such as being overworked and made to drive long distances at the drop of a hat could exist even if your colleague was working all the time, or if you had three other colleagues, or if you had never had a colleague at all. Discuss how to resolve that problem with your boss and let him worry about the other employees.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A win for politicians I don’t hate has literally never once happened

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I will vote Labour if Starmer literally eats poo poo on live TV before the election but I suspect he’s not willing to make that difficult decision

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dead Goon posted:

I will not be voting for Labour.

I will be spoiling my ballot.

You don't have to vote for anyone, you know.
Yeah seriously anyone not wanting to vote for anyone please at least go spoil your ballot to actively vote for “None of the above”

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

God, I hate it when they say poo poo like this! Why aspire to halve it rather than eliminate it??? Is halving it 'realistic' but eliminating it 'unrealistic'? Does he perhaps secretly think that half of them deserve it? Aaargh!
if he can fudge the numbers by reclassifying certain crimes as non-violent or making it harder for women to report violence then mission accomplished!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

What actually is the best case scenario for the GE? As far as I can tell the almost guaranteed outcome is Starmer winning by default, talking heads crowing about how this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn and represents a complete rejection of all but the weakest socdem centre-left stuff, then we're back in 1997 baby and nothing changes for at least another two decades or so. Inspiring stuff!
Some combination of hung parliament and an unprecedentedly massive surge for third parties that makes it clear how completely disenchanted everyone is with the mainstream parties.

Then the long-overdue fire burns down parliament and every journo in the country gets to sagely comment on this metaphor for how badly politics in this country needs to be rebuilt from the ground up for the modern age.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

my dear aunt who stood in as my grandparent has been in hospital since the very start of the month and while not surprising, it's shown me first-hand how broken health and social care is NI
Christ this sounds loving horrendous, I’m sorry mate :( it’s a loving disgrace not only the condition the health service is in but the fact that any time it comes up it’s described as “on the brink” or “at breaking point”. It’s not, it’s already collapsed and for a huge number of people it functionally no longer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/15/government-unveils-free-portrait-of-king-charles-for-public-buildings

Portrait of King Charles for public buildings unveiled in £8m scheme
Move to offer the monarch’s photograph to UK bodies has been described as a ‘shameful waste of money’ by critics

They should just make it downloadable so if people want to print it, they can just print it on an A3 sheet.
Just download the image from the article header and blow it up.

HRH JPEG Compression Artifacts