Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tedsville posted:

Had to spend a full 10 minutes defrosting the car this morning.

If it’s not below freezing, this works well and quickly: pour warm tap water over the windows to melt the frost. Then use the wipers and screen wash - it’s got antifreeze in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

mediaphage posted:

if it’s not below freezing i can’t imagine the car is so burdened with ice that it needs so much defrosting. personally i think that’s a bad habit to get into

Well, warm water or screen wash, one or the other is fine. As long as I'm not standing in the cold scraping anything. I'm cautious when it's below 0 remembering an incident - probably 30 years ago now :wth: - where my mum, rushing to take me to school, poured water over the windscreen that froze into a sheet by the time we got round the corner.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sprouts, broccoli, coriander, cucumber and celery are all good imo. I made braised celery recently, came out pretty nice. Celery simmered in garlic and stock.

The thing that ruins food for me is cumin. Awful sweaty taste. Annoyingly I can detect minuscule quantities of cumin or cumin-like flavours.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Fatty posted:

Probably been posted here before, but I just heard this on 6Music and it immediately made me think of the UKMT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlghGgWuAs

They’re a very UKMT band in general. I saw them in London recently. They had one bit between songs along the lines of “gently caress the tories? Obviously. But also gently caress Keir Starmer!”

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Once a week I visit my mum, and I dread it every week.

Stop doing this. You're making yourself miserable. Change it to a weekly video chat if you feel you must contact her regularly.

Sorry to hear you've had to live with this. I found the book "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents" by Lindsay Gibson interesting, it gives advice for how to deal with toxic parents. Also, congratulations on your marriage!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

sinky posted:

stolen from the osha thread:
https://i.imgur.com/4lcAh62.mp4

I met this cat at the Satanic Flea Market recently in London, where it was wearing a Cyberdog (Cybercat?) jumper. It’s a good cat.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Btw, if anyone here hasn't read the sci-fi short story based off that "I identify as an attack helicopter" line, you should, it's good. There's an interesting article here about the controversy around it.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I would like to know more about the gold alligator please.

Me too!

I wore a gold snake print top and leggings to a social last week and someone said I looked like a gold alligator :).

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1740323239891521634?s=20

Ah yes, Woody Allen's unhinged ex who has a grudge against him for...starting a relationship with her adopted daughter. Nightmare fodder tbh. The Times sure knows where to find them

The article in the tweet, about how magical and creative Jews are… isn’t that a little bit racist? Like talking about how black people are great at basketball or whatever. Stereotyping a group of people.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Heck yeah, maybe 2024 be the year of more lurkers coming and posting with us, the UK Manga Thread.

I recently got the Shonen Jump app to catch up with One Piece, so I’ve been reading a fair amount of manga. I loved One Punch Man and Akane-banashi (about a woman’s quest to be the best at traditional Japanese stand up) but they’re not finished stories either :(

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Give Undead Unluck a try, it starts crazy then just absolutely goes places.

Also come join the One Piece thread, every week we're just hooting and hollering about how Oda's done it again.

Thanks I will check it out!

I prefer to binge One Piece when each story arc is finished. In fact I just today finished a few weeks of watching the entire Land of Wano arc. Time very well spent.

Happy new year goons

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Glad you're getting the tooth sorted. Has it stopped hurting?

I had a big hole in a wisdom tooth a few years ago, which eventually got infected. It was excruciating. My boss sent me home (to the dentist) because I was nearly crying at work. God, it's so depressing what's happened to the NHS. Teeth are important! :(

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Millie was a very good girl. Would have bitten a Tory any day.

So sorry :( well done for making the decision, it’s so hard. She was clearly a good and adorable girl, a Good Dog

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Thanks everyone. I think I've managed to nudge everything onto a comedy timeline, as I'm currently laughing at it all, and I never expected to be doing that

That's really great news. I'm worried though, is your brother likely to kick off because of this? I hope you never have to see him again.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

What a piece of poo poo. “Some people are giving a free pass to terrorists”. “What, I never specified her did I? :smuggo:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Give Undead Unluck a try, it starts crazy then just absolutely goes places.

Also come join the One Piece thread, every week we're just hooting and hollering about how Oda's done it again.

Thank you so much for this manga recommendation. I loved Undead Unluck! I'm now up to date so I suppose I'll try to forget about it for a year or so until there's a good backlog of chapters. I even dreamed about Unluck this week.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Ooh that wave knife looks fun. Make fancy chopped veg

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

How is this even "news"? Someone privately insulted someone else. I almost feel bad for journalists having to write this rubbish, but they chose that job so shouldn't get any sympathy

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Problem with me is I'm a relative speed reader so childrens books were read instantly but I was still A Child so you hand me the Lord of the Rings to shut me up and I get to book 2 and say "this is boring all they're doing is talking about stuff" and give up and go back to failing at Crash Bandicoot.

Reading all my childrens books too quickly led me to prowling round the house hunting for new things to read. Jackpot was finding (aged ~9) a book about sex in a huge stash of books that some family friends had given to my parents. Obviously I read it, and then took it into school to try and gain social credit. Someone predictably tattled and I got in big trouble. My mum told me it wasn't about normal things, that people don't really do. Joke's on her, it's laughably vanilla iirc. There was something about a stereo and "tweeting their woofer".

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

This is the kind of thing my terminally ill mother is doing. It's an act of miserable desperation, not an admirable quality.

A friend of mine is currently on day 16 of fasting. Apparently it has amazing health benefits for them, reduced fibro/chronic fatigue symptoms, reduced asthma and allergies :shrug: Kinda makes sense given how important the gut and digestion is to body regulation. Don’t think it would work for me!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They haven't eaten for 16 days?

Correct

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Did you offer him one?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

But what made me really confused was the sponsor for the event: https://www.quantumhypno.co.uk/

a surgeon posted:

I’m in aw. I’m in aw. I’m in aw

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't know how to embed images any more so can't provide the photo, but my mate just sent me a pic of a smart black BMW parked on his street, with reg plate '88 HH'.

Ummm.....

This shouldn't have been allowed as a number plate :aaa: alternatively, it's a notice for everyone to key that car?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I’ve never felt so unsympathetic to someone getting a serious diagnosis. Not very loyal subject like

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Apraxin posted:

lol jesus christ

'we're the Popular Conservatives, or PopCons! for short :D. we're a grassroots movement dedicated to restoring the vibrancy of our national democracy :D. our policy agenda is :byodood:SUFFER NOT THE WOKE TO LIVE, TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY FROM THE SINISTER FORCES OF THE GLOBALIST TRANS CONSPIRACY:byodood:.'

Changing my username to "wokery nonsense"

e: sorry about your mum, Aipsh

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Maugrim posted:

UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, February 2023

Before we get to the regular update, I need to announce that :siren: Voting opens at midnight tonight for the UKMTSF Trustee elections! :siren:

That's right, one brave contender has stepped forward to pit themselves against the current longstanding committee in a no-holds-barred deathmatch. Six goons enter, but only five goons can leave!

Your candidates for the most significant election you will vote in this year, in alphabetical order are:

AceClown
Captain Fargle
Chubby Henparty
Maugrim
The DPRK
Tsietisin

:siren:Click here to access the voting site! :siren:

- Voting opens at midnight tonight (00:00 Friday 9th February) and will be open for one week.
- Candidate statements will be available to read on the site after voting opens.
- Voting is by ranked choice and uses a single transferable vote (STV) counting system.
- Voting is anonymous, but you will need your forums userID and access to your profile in order to get your voting token.
- I'll post a reminder tomorrow and another reminder a day or so before voting closes.

Now, on to your regular dose of monthly stats!

January Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Captain Fargle, Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Incredibly rare to be able to vote for decent people :)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

jesus, nms tags please

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, I used to be the most awful, clichéd, Guardian-quoting, sensible grown-ups, lesser of two evils kind of poster; now I'm a communist craving for revolution and the overthrow of the state :)

This is what happened to me too! :black101:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Maphis posted:

Much like happyhippy I think I'm getting made redundant first thing tomorrow after 15 years at the same place.

Will you at least get a decent 15 years worth of payout?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Maybe you should put more garlic in everything. Garlic kidney pies, garlic fish and chips, garlic fudge.

I see you're familiar with Soho institution Garlic and Shots

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Goldskull posted:

They changed their bloodshot recipe after Covid re-openings, and overloaded it with paprika for some unknown reason. Which is why we make our own at home now.
I always liked Whitby, although I've not been for a good few years.

I've never had a bloodshot! Sad to hear I've missed my chance to get the true experience. I'm planning on going for dinner there in a couple of weeks, me and now-husband went there for our first date so every few years we go back for our anniversary (19th this year!). I will finally try the bloodshot this time.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Starbucks posted:

My friends daughter did the whole put [micro]chips in body thing

One of my partners has an RFID chip in their hand. I believe it links to a YouTube video of a hippo :c2b:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

fuctifino posted:

e: lol at the Sun's front page

I like that black lacy dress though. Would wear that to Whitby Goth Weekend.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

TACD posted:

Is there a set of guidelines or consensus or whatever on how to assess a job candidate’s practical skills while also respecting their time?

My company is going to be hiring another software developer soon and as I’m currently the only dev I expect I’ll be involved in the interview process; not really sure what’s the best and fairest way to assess people’s coding skills. Sending people a task to spend a day or two on lets people solve a realistic problem with reduced time pressure but eats into their free time. Whiteboard coding is bullshit I won’t consider. Which leaves a mix of looking at personal projects (not everyone has — I don’t!) or some “live coding” exercise with us peering over the poor fucker’s shoulder?

I got hired just on the basis of the interview chat and basically passing the persuasion check, and it partly feels like pulling up the ladder to not judge the next person by the same criteria… but it also feels like a bad idea to hire a coder just based on vibes?

I had an interview recently where they used a 3rd party tech test. Said it would take 1-3h. I made many mistakes, the first one being to believe them, the second being not to try to cheat as much as possible. Took me 7h, writing increasingly poor code. The final report revealed that the median time was 4.5h! Liars.

Got another one coming up which I have so little chance for I'm wondering if I can be bothered. First phase is a 1h live code/pair programming test creating a CLI around API calls. Next phase is 30min discussing how to turn some pseudo-code into a full app ("scaling, testability, edge-cases and the like"). Then, 30min "designing a large-scale system". I haven't got a clue about any of this stuff. But, tbf, I bet they get some excellent candidates. The pay is extremely high.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jakabite posted:

new as of 2 months ago sausage dog

Why haven’t you posted pics of this dog yet?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I suppose this is a limitation of English in that there's want (passive) and want (active).

Think of it in the difference between your want to build a house vs. the actions you took.

:iceburn:

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Rarity posted:

Best value purchase they've ever made :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

My life would be under threat because I would loving inhale that naan so fast I would die.

Not a big curry person but naan is absolutely delicious.

A couple of times my dog has found something especially delicious while on a walk, and eaten it so fast she's choked and almost passed out. Just falls right over.

So that's you with naan? Guessing it's harder to turn you upside down and shake the food out.