Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Grey Hunter posted:

Come on, you put their scratching post next to it - that's an open invitation.

:hmmyes: That's entrapment that is

Also melatonin doesn't make it easier for me to fall asleep, but it does keep me asleep real good. It also induces absolutely incredible levels of carsickness for the next 24 or so hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ooh thanks for that info. My sleep is so completely wrecked at the moment, I was thinking of trying it after discussion ITT.
But I can't stand nausea which I have a tendency towards without any meds.

I mean it might just be a thing unique to me, I know loads of Americans who swear by the stuff and have no such problems. Wouldn't want to discourage you from something that might be helpful just from my own anecdote!

E; am under the electric blanket, I had to get it last year because the HRT has wreaked absolute devastation on my ability to keep warm. Used to be able to stroll around in snow in a t shirt and shorts, not these days!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.

CBD gives me an hours-long panic attack :(

Side sleeping is the way. I can never get comfy with a knee pillow though so I just go without.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've committed assaults against people on a few occasions and fortunately never had to deal with the consequences.

Every time you post it's an assualt :boom:

But to take it seriously;

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We all think the same as Madeley when we get wronged. We just don't have the opportunity to go on telly the next day and yell it, and also like get encouraged to think like even more killing them

We don't all think the same as him (I've been mugged and I wouldn't have gone further than saying the guy needed a hiding) but even if we did, it doesn't matter, because societies have spent thousands of years codifying criminal laws, delineating specific limits for punishment and sentencing, establishing courts, figuring out how to ensure judges (and later, juries) are as impartial as possible, precisely because we need that to be administered by people removed from the incident and with no connections to anyone involved. This is because dealing with crime based on the outrage of victims (Or worse, the public) is a really bad idea, and doing so based on sober reflection at some remove is a less bad idea.

Note that I do not argue we succeed in most of those things, and I don't think the system we have is a good one even if we did, but the mere fact we make the attempt (Or pretense if you're more cynical) rather than just arresting the bloke and asking Madeley "Where do you want the gallows set up mate?" shows we're pretty well devoted to not having it governed by vengeance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think we should kill people for doing crimes but I also think we can extend a little grace to people who have been victims of crimes expressing anger and upset

having anything stolen from you is not simply a minor inconvenience, let alone something with personal info like a phone. jesus christ thread

But basically everyone has said that some degree of anger and a desire for revenge is understandable? This whole thread since then has been people relating their own experiences as victims of crime and our anger that resulted. Not many people would be bothered if Madeley had said "Wish I could give him a punch in the face" because yeah that's understandable, human, and though not productive also not grossly disproportionate. It's just that going to Death Sentence for a theft is a bit much (consider that the archetypal Ultra-Hardline Uncivilized Hellhole answer to theft is amputation of the offending hand! The exaggerated caricature of foreign barbarity falls well short of the death sentence!) and if you're a public figure you should maybe account for that and attain a little mastery over your feelings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for a National Domintrix Service, phwoar

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Capital punishment for people who put wrong things in the recycle bins would lead to a lot of very confused noises from the commentariat.

"Constantly calling for the death penalty is woke, like Hitler" writes Peter Hitchens in a confused daze while hiding from a traffic light.

e: Pairs of prime numbers that differ from each other by 6 are called sexy primes.

Wikipedia says that the largest discovered pair of sexy primes is as follows

p = 11922002779 x (2^172486 - 2^86243) + 2^86245 - 5
p+6 = 11922002779 x (2^172486 - 2^86243) + 2^86245 + 1

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

"What was the technicality?"

"He didn't eat all the food."

That's... not a technicality. That's the literal challenge. That's like saying you were denied an Olympic Gold in the 100m sprint because of the 'technicality' of only running 95 meters.

Also lmfao imagine being such a danger you go "I don't eat salad :colbert:" fuckin hell mate it's not a point of principle you're just bald

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Failed Imagineer posted:

OwlFancier is a good lad, mostly, not sure of their bald dtatus

I was talking about the pub man! Owly's cool, feathered rather than behaired though. I assume. There's nothing wrong with not liking salads but going "I won't do it even for fifty quid, because I don't eat salads." isn't how someone who hates salad speaks, it's how someone who thinks they're too manly for salads speaks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.

The bald are the inveterate foe of Xenu and Posadas both.

Microplastics posted:

I'm now imagining a policy where your benefits are stopped if you don't eat a whole salad while a DWP agent watches you

Actually, when you put it like that my sympathy for the bloke increases a thousandfold...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Runcible Cat posted:

You wasted food and therefore money given you by the hard-working taxpayer.

"There's starving children in Africa would love to have that. We know because we starved 'em."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:psypop: The idea that cucumbers have an overpowering flavour is possibly the most demented thing that has ever been posted in UKMT for the last decade plus. Everyone I know who dislikes cucumber does so precisely because they feel it has no flavour at all. And those of us who like it usually do so because we appreciate the very subtle and gentle flavour combined with a nice cronch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

inspiring stuff

'think of the transformative changes made by past great prime ministers of different ideological stripes, such as attlee, blair, and thatcher. i won't be doing any of that. it'll be a challenge just keeping the lights on. but rest assured, i'm the penny-pinching accountant for the job.'

Now now, be fair. He does make an implicit promise that he'll machine gun the boats.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Sprouts have recently been rebred to lose the bitter taste and taste more like broccoli and kohlrabi and other green stem vegetables, so that may be them as well as you.

Well it didn't loving work did it? They need to try again.

OwlFancier posted:

I think honestly he could lose just about everyone as long as he's still perceived as less bad than the tories in whatever way people want to define "bad"

There is no alternative through the electoral system, you get him or you get the tories. One of them has to win even if everyone stays home.

Not with that attitude! You have to believe in yourself, and more importantly, in Sinn Fein!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lembit convinced my grandma not to give me anything in her will, arguing that because I had changed my name from Opik I shouldn't get anything that was an Opik's. She had always been deeply, deeply opposed to me changing my name (This was the first time, before I transitioned) so this was an easy sell. I hadn't even expected to get my dad's entire share or anything, I hadn't expected anything, but I had politely asked if I could be included for a small fraction of whatever came from selling her house when she passed, on the grounds that I'm disabled and without any real prospects (And at the time I had been engaged and intending to move to America, adding plenty of expenses) so getting a few grand would make an immense difference to me whilst Lembit and my aunt would have barely missed that from their shares. Nope. Also then I wasn't even informed when she died, which was kinda lovely and I don't know whether to attribute it to simple malice or a desire to keep me away from any possibility of contesting the will.

So yeah long story short big sympathy fuct, it's a poo poo situation to be placed in.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've been told it's why there's so many derelict rural run down properties in France where they've been split so many times between family that no one can agree what to do with them that they just end up blocked and left to ruin.

smh they should have played Crusader Kings 3, that'd teach them why equal inheritance is a bad idea right quick

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

You never hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore, do you? Anneka Rice, neither.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Issuing an update on my previous post, some of you very much do hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore.

Issuing an update on this post, fuckin mods

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 5, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

The change for skilled workers is getting the headlines, but they’re also jacking up the minimum income for family visas - i.e. what you need if you’ve married a dirty foreigner and have the temerity to think you deserve to live together - from £18.6k per year salary to £38.7k (that’s for spouse only, several thousand more per child if you have any, and it all has to be from the UK partner, none of this ‘joint income’ nonsense)

So I guess I’m extra-never coming home to look after my parents in their old age now :(

loving hell it was bad enough when they set it to 18.6, at almost 39 grand that's only the top 12% or so of earners in the UK. Renders it an utterly unrealistic privilege for the great majority of the country.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me, also why is everyone talking about it the last day or two, I've seen more conversation about it than when it was airing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rappaport posted:

The topic of poo poo-head relatives and inheritance came up, and here we are.

Sorry I should have been clearer, this is not related to the thread alone, that's the one place I see the connection but this is only one of like five different places online that have been going on about it.

smellmycheese posted:

I don’t know if this helps but they are all supposed to be grotesque caricatures of Murdoch and his children. They are all intended to be revolting and dislikeable in different ways. It’s not a show where you are supposed to be rooting for someone. They are all terrible people that you are encouraged to laugh at for being cunts.

Honestly a nightmare for me to watch.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lol, lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Miftan posted:

I'm sure that was her just edging us. Didn't she do about 3 of them saying nothing where everyone was speculating on stuff like "is there a crest on the front of the podium?" before she finally did a resignation one?

God I remember those, absolutely political edging. Every time it looked like she was about to announce something major like a snap election and it wasn't even like "Here is our new Numbers Fuckstein policy adjustment."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Lemurtron posted:

Can anyone actually explain to me what the point of the Rwanda plan is and why the government are pushing it as seemingly the one and only Plan to end all plans? Why must it be pushed through despite all cost, decency, international law, protests and blocks by our very own courts? How is it that this alleged Plan is the only way to deal with alleged illegal immigration and processing of asylum seekers?

Not that it surprises me that this government (and opposition) would repeatedly double down on the stupidest poo poo possible in the face of all reason and rationality (cf Brexit), but surely there are better ways, even if they're still poo poo, than literally flying immigrants by the handful half way round the world, to sodding Rwanda of all places, at the cost of literally millions per person. Or is it like crypto/NFTs where you keep digging to find some secret explanation you're missing, but it really is just that loving stupid and knuckleheads keep falling for it? Plus the bonus that someone, somewhere must be making a load of dirty cash out of it.

I mean, what's an alternative Plan? Other countries seem to be handling this sort of thing without repeatedly tripping over their own clownshoes on the international stage.

The other answers are totally correct, but there is also an element of responding to the supposed problems/dangers of the current system. The tories and media have created a pervasive belief that asylum seekers are chancers, criminals, and either hiding behind human rights legislation or simply melting into the general population, but in any event making themselves immune to removal even when they don't get leave to remain.

By shipping them to Rwanda rather than letting them stay in the country (even in custody or with limited freedom of movement) the idea is that these problems will be eliminated. They can't vanish into the population, can't commit crimes, if they abscond it's Rwanda's problem, and if their application is denied they're powerless to do anything about it like appeal or have a community that protects them from removal.

Also, as official government policy, changing becomes a humiliating climbdown and a government-ending u-turn so they've dug thrir heels in as deeply as they can rather than just saying "We inherited a stupid moron's idea and we won't be doing that."

(So yes, it is that loving stupid, because it's all based on lies and an excuse to be cruel and the time and money pissed up the wall on it could have been/could be used on almost anything else to better effect.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I mean there is that old joke about a dog walking into a bar that nobody quite understands any more. Perhaps they already found The Ideal Joke and it just doesn't make sense to us.

Someone offered a new translation and it was like "A dog walks into a bar. His eyes cannot see anything, I guess he needs to crack one open!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Endjinneer posted:

Move fast and break hips.

Holy poo poo lol

Wes is a loving danger, not that that's news to anyone ITT. Trying to paint it as the NHS just not being innovative enough, as if there's some kind of magic way to provide healthcare on the cheap they just haven't bothered implementing. And even if demanding they do more with less worked, we've already been underfunding it for ages, any possible efficiency gains have already been made!

I don't want the healthcare system to be overly worried about 'efficiency savigs'. I want them to be at the cutting edge of medical science and best practices, but that's not something that happens because a bold innovator is trying poo poo out in their private practice, that's how you get chiropractors. Actual modern advancement comes out of laboratories and university hospitals and so on. You know - expensive poo poo. The best a regular GP's office or even ordinary hospital can do is cut back on staff and pay, provide fewer services at lower quality, and try loving around with the bureaucratic side of things because they are desperate and are promised a computer or booking system that will save them time. Whereas what the great majority of healthcare requires is the application of steady, unglamorous best practices, in anything from the org charts to the oncology department. Outside of the research branch they should be using established methods, because whatever savings are to be had come from the efficiency of scale.

In short Wes is a briefcase wanker and Tory Boy who needs to wind his neck in

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

There is some good innovation you could do at the GP/pharmacy level in terms of outreach. Like with the idea that the public health bodies should be determining the 'what' as in what interventions work at the public level, local pharmacies and clinics may know how to communicate that to their community better than some Whitehall SPAD, so would be better at the 'how'.

That's been brought up during Covid with vaccination rates across various communities and how literally anything would have been better than the mess of central government advice.

Then there's the complete opposite end where regional health doesn't trust local clinics, and so gives them a limited number of oncology, cardiology, etc. referrals to stop them 'wasting' them, and so encourage GPs to 'innovate' how many people are actually ill.

I can guess which way 'tough love' Wes leans.

This is fair and I shouldn't have said I want an absolute ban on them innovating because I don't, I'm just leery if it because... yeah that second one.

Imo they should use established best practices in terms of admin and bureaucracy as a baseline, and generally speaking let other sectors of society do the experimentation with new ideas (This is very weird for me to say because I am normally fully about progress, but when lives are quite literally on the line every day I'm slower to advocate for risktaking)and adopt them when they are shown to be worthwhile. But there would also need to be a recognition that there are areas unique to healthcare where they do need to be the ones doing the innovation.

I don't know exactly how you set that up. But fortunately I am just some tranny online and not the shadow minister for health.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

When I needed to have my bumhole examined I actually felt worse about having the chaperone come in. Obviously it's a very good idea (Nobody ever called one in for Penis Inspection though?) but it definitely felt a bit like "Not totally sure I want more people around while you're putting a finger up my rear end, doc".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's the thing they didn't ask me, just called his mate in with me there on the table.

Yeah that's not on, I always understood that they were obligated to ask your permission to involve anyone else, hell even when I've gone in for not at all intimate stuff they've always said "Hey this is Doctor Looks Like A Child, he's in training and is sitting in with me today, is that alright?" and sure you get the impression you'll be seen as a oval office if you reply "No" but, like, at least they check.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Still blows my mind that we have a bloke called Drax in parliament

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Promising you will be no better or different than the other team is a pretty unique strategy, at least. Normally they would at least SAY they're going to do good things and then we'd have to argue about whether they're telling the truth and whether the differences are big enough if so. Not this time baybee!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Liberals can no longer perceive the 3rd or 4th options, or even more unthinkable, the 5th option. They can only vote between two hitlers.

Hardly fair, plenty of them can perceive the Lib Dems!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

They were probably hoping we'd benefit a bit from the US economy doing well* on many measures

* Obviously there are big caveats here but they are growing their GDP pretty fast right now so I could understand if some people were hoping we'd benefit on those same indicators, regardless of whether it makes a blind bit of difference for many of us

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I find it amusing that the people who most love to bang on about the Victorians and Romans and suchlike are also the ones who seem most ignorant (wilfully or not) that to Get poo poo Done you need things like experts and big public works projects and to have at least some amount of the people you hire for stuff not be grifters.

Of course it's really harkening back to imagined times when we could and did tell Johnny Foreigner to jog on, rather than a sincere appreciation of the eras or the people who lived then and their works.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's an effective wedge issue because it feels like it makes sense, and you can twist it so you feel like it's not a contradiction to say you support trans people but this is a special area that needs special consideration. Without knowing some of the effects of things like HRT it's understandable that some people would think "Trans women have an advantage because of their bone structure/male muscles/etc" and not realize that things are far more complex than that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not only does Michael Phelps get a pass, but inversely female athletes have always been punished for excellence, such as the creation of female leagues allowing vastly more funds to be siphoned to male leagues, or women just being banned from competing for their own natural advantages: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/07/two-cis-black-women-banned-olympics-natural-testosterone-levels/

There's a much wider conversation on sex-segregated sports to be had that would naturally include the place of trans people anyway, but regardless, anyone who suddenly decided that fairness in women's sports was the most important thing in the world after flatly ignoring it for their entire lives is a disingenuous prick who doesn't actually give a poo poo about the subject and only wants a stick to beat trans people with, so even if there's a salient debate to be had their opinions on the subject are quite literally worthless. So bluntly they can take the half-formed opinions they suddenly decided to have and gently caress off on the horse they rode in on.

To say nothing of the fact a lot of women's sports got hived off after integrated sports started to result in a bunch of women beating men, and BOY is that something a bunch of men couldn't tolerate!

I agree with the second paragraph as well, but their nonsense in this regard does do a particularly good job of highlighting how their 'feminism' is both misogynistic and racist as all hell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Toyah just won "Sewing Bee" & "everyone" is slagging her off on twitter.

How ironic, that I would mention her obscurity and be proven wrong within mere weeks...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

Did someone mention music and then DooM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEVvIwpel0

Unicorn is SUCH a good loving album, came out just before my birthday too, unbelievably based times for me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1738256334061965328

Sorry kids, the planet has to burn, or the Tories will weaponise it :toot:

And talking of that Keith oval office, check out this:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1738263457143599361

Most of the shadow cabinet have posted similar statements, while obviously forgetting that they greenlit said genocide

Absolute fuckin danger, isn't he. 'Oooh we can't do a policy, the Tories might have a go at us for it.' Well yeah, that's what happens in politics, you're supposed to have the gumption and brass to actually defend your position and try to advance it in the public's mind as a good, worthwhile idea.

Also I mean that would have been a great statement on Gaza to make two months ago, not joking if he'd said that or something like it when this started we'd be giving him kudos, however grudging, and he'd probably have won an appreciable number of people over by actually taking a firm stance on something for once in his loving life. As it stands... mate you said it was okay. You're only following public opinion now, not taking any kind of stance.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 23, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

KM Scorchio posted:

Nobody you see on TV has your best interest at heart. Even that one that you think is still actually a decent bloke who hasn't let fame get to him.

Even Toyah?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Was it twisto who posted about being in a documentary briefly, and lamented how he had walked Extremely loving Normally on film?

He had our best interests at heart. :unsmith: Rip to a great goon.