Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

happyhippy posted:

When I take over, I'll alay all your fears and solve all crime and such by implanting mini-explosives at the base of everyone's neck.
There will a free app where you can vote to trigger it at any time.

:f5:ing myself as soon as it goes live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

As the thread's resident food expert, I feel I should weigh in: broccoli good, sprouts good, coriander bad, celery good if cooked well (like in gumbo)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me

You're right. It's real boring. Just like Breaking Bad which is also really boring.

I've been told both shows get good at/after season 2, but that's an unreasonable amount of time to put into something that's really bad waiting for it to get good.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

stev posted:

Nah Succession season 1 is just as good if not better than the rest. If you don't like it then you never will.

:shrug: Guess I just think it sucks then.

e what a lovely snipe. On this day in 1901 famous weirdo antisemite Walt Disney was born.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 5, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Man, Breaking Bad is such overhyped nonsense. And yes, anything where "it gets better after X seasons" is something I won't bother with. I'm looking at you Seinfeld. Whoever told Jerry he should wrench 5+ minutes of the worlds least interesting observational comedy into every 20 minute episode killed it.

Show I really enjoyed lately was Avenue 5, the Iannucci sci-fi comedy. It was exceptionally stupid, but very amusing with it. We're on the maiden Voyage of a luxury space cruise ship spending 8 weeks visiting the plants only for things to go badly wrong. Sadly got cancelled after 2 seasons but I still found it very funny. I may have been one of the few though.

It really depends imo. If it's an 8 episode, 20 minute episode sitcom where it gets really good at season 2 and season 1 is just fine, I might suffer through it. But 10 hours actually boring content? Nah.

I haven't watched Avenue 5, but it is on my list. I really enjoyed the first season of Black Monday recently which might be up your street despite the lack of japanese wrestling.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I don't even know what I'd do with all that money if I was on 36k. I guess get takeout more often?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Live alone in a rented 1 bed flat and having takeouts just about does it, yeah.

Well actually 36k is a bit low for that.

Depends where you live, I suppose. I wouldn't go back to London for anything just because of the price of everything.

ThomasPaine posted:

Personally I've been cultivating a gambling addiction and substance abuse problems so that helps

If you want to just send the gambling money my way, I can give you fake odds and an occasional FREE BET or something? Can't help with the substance abuse but maybe consider looking at Mind

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm convinced on the regular US shows get pitched as 2 seasons, then if the company likes it they might stretch it to 3. Then popularity of season 1 it gets stretched to 5 seasons.

It would explain for me why so many season 1s and often 2s are high quality and things always drop off in the middle after that. They lose focus as writers try and pad out the original concept.

I think more often than not they just pitch 1 season and it's very noticeable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Ozark is my favourite of those Crime Dramas and it's not even close. Just fantastic from the start. Though deeply oppressive, every episode is a fifty-minute anxiety attack even if nothing seems to be happening.

I watched the first episode of Ozark about a decade ago and was too depressed to continue.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

Was it? I was too distracted by all the tits and cocks to notice.

That wasn't Spartacus, it was the house of commons.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Betjeman posted:

THEY ARRESTED SANTA???

Nah, Santa's a cop.

Anyway most nursery employees are typically paid retail/minimum wage. If you think teaching wages are bad - hooo boy. It's basically criminal and just another way that this country is slowly collapsing since nobody is going to want to do it long term for £8 per hour. It's a tough job!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Don't forget that sweet sweet PM pension!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Speaker, I don't believe that is the Lord's tongue protruding into the chamber.

:vomarine:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to Tezza May's incredible series of podium speeches outside Downing Street saying nothing at all

I'm sure that was her just edging us. Didn't she do about 3 of them saying nothing where everyone was speculating on stuff like "is there a crest on the front of the podium?" before she finally did a resignation one?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Skeletome posted:

Not sure in the thread who recommended Small Saga on steam but it's absolutely fantastic! 8-10 hour, laser-focused JRPG about rodent society living underneath modern day London. It is super left and queer and fun, and a lot of the dialogue feels like someone in UKMT wrote it!

I can't recommend it enough!

Nice, glad to hear it since I'm definitely getting it for Christmas

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Apraxin posted:

worst quote from that streeting interview:

Love giving people freedom to innovate and create with.. *checks notes* life saving medicine and healthcare???

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

Anyone got experience with disputes via a deposit protection scheme? Previous landlord trying to pull a fast one and my tactic of ‘verbal abuse down the phone to try and make them cry’ didn’t work.

Always do it. Literally every single person I've ever heard contesting via DPS (including me) have got back at least some,if not all, of their money.

Also what Mega Comrade said. Ask for an itemised bill and the name of the vendors they're using. You can double check that yourself if you want for added gently caress you, but a lot of landlords/estate managers balk at "where's my itemised list of costs"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of landlords I also have a question about maintenance stuff. Our flat is generally fine and the letting agent is refreshingly hands off most of the time, but does generally respond to repair requests quickly. We have one corner of the living room though where the wall is obviously hollow. I'm guessing it's where the pipes etc are. We've clearly got a leaky pipe somewhere because since like a year and a half ago we've noticed damp patches appearing on the wall and ceiling. They aren't getting massively worse but they occasionally do spread a bit. I've now reported this like 3 times, and beyond telling me to ask my upstairs neighbour if he's had any issues in his flat, which he hasn't, the letting agent has pretty much ignored the issue completely.

It's not massively urgent, and there's no mould or anything, but I feel like it's almost certainly going to be causing incremental damage. Not really sure how to proceed because on the one hand I don't care, it's not my flat and I've created a pretty solid paper trail so I can't be held accountable, and I worry that fixing it might involve a major job knocking down walls etc, which means we'd probably have to move out for a bit at least. At the same time it's not exactly great having big damp patches just sitting there, and I'm a bit concerned because there are plug sockets on the same wall right next to the damp bits. I'm also picturing the ceiling deciding to fall in at the most inopportune moment, which would be a nightmare.

So yeah, not sure. I know I'd be very pissed if I was the owner and the letting agent was just ignoring an issue that might seriously damage the fabric of the building long term.

If this is happening semi regularly and weirdly only when it's cold, it could just condensation. My place does that and it's really annoying but short of living in the freezing cold, sticking a dehumidifier on it, or massively upgrading your insulation there's not much that can be done.

These things are sometimes hard to diagnose properly but ultimately if you've reported it and it's not hurting you by sprouting black mold or whatever, I'd say you've done your bit.

I wouldn't use any sockets on damp walls though..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Don't know what he expected from the Nazi's crisps

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Is there any way of helping someone younger who's at risk of ending up like this?

Get them into therapy? But honestly a lot of this sort of state of mind stems from 'i'm always right' turned up to 11, so good luck with that.

Congrats on your wedding and sorry about your poo poo mom, Marcus.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

The finest artisanally crafted British sex arse

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I blame a bottle of black absinthe at 16 for my unshakeable aversion to all things licorice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I used to live near one of those. I miss it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me who the bearded guy and Ernest are I forget

Hemingway and Orson Scott Card

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nobody here is ever gonna top Necrothatcher's TV appearance

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

there are too many finicky spaces, so a thin cordless one is what I need tbh.

Same, op, same

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobstar posted:

You'd think that I'd be feeling unchristmassy because I decided to stay home and rest my post-Covid sequelae... but actually it's quite nice just being home on my own with the cats, and I dodged both hitting the Channel Tunnel just as its staff went on strike, and my parents have just caught Covid themselves.

No, the reason I feel unchristmassy (apart from gestures at everything) is that it Hasn't. Stopped. Raining. for the last several weeks, and seems to want to keep doing that. Interspersed with the occasional crazy wind storm (even for NL)

I've thought this too, though I fear the conspiracy theorist mindset wouldn't be satisfied with the actual "conspiracies" of the world, that are being done 80% out in the open with a sneer of "what are you going to do about it? Vote?"... doesn't give the same rush of being In on the Secret, and decoding the Scooby Doo clues (Scooby Clues?) that the delightfully devilish conspirators make sure to leave.

The best Christmas I've had was when me and my partner both had COVID so just stayed home and did our own thing. No transport issues, no weird family fights, no trying to make smalltalk with people you barely have anything in common with. It was magical.

We cooked one giant meal and had leftovers for the entire time we were sick so didn't even need to cook the entire time.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Conversely, last Christmas was one of the worst Christmas ever.
My wife tested positive for Covid on the 23rd/24th of Dec. But I was testing negative.

So she isolated herself in our office across from the main house and I stayed in our house with the 1 and a half year old.
The theory being that maybe we didn't have it and the wife could spare us it. None of us had any symptoms.

For Christmas Day we pretty much spent the day just waving to each other through the window, and the wife assembled the child's Christmas present since it was stored in the office.

We had cancelled our plans to dona big Christmas Dinner with her family on Christmas Day so had to improvise with roast Duck dinner on Christmas.
And do a simultaneous watch of The Glass Onion using my iPad.

Then on the 26th I tested positive for Covid and the whole thing was rendered pointless. And I had to cancel my flights to see jy eldest daughter.

Basically Christmas 2022 for me really sucked.

That blows, yeah, I'm sorry last year's xmas sucked for you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

crispix posted:

NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T FIND IT, NORMAN?!?!

YOU HAD BETTER FIND IT BEFORE TOMORROW'S DINNER IN THE GREAT ROOM, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CECILLY AND CECIL, OUR CHILDREN NORMAN, ARE BRINGING THEIR WORK COMPANIONS , NORMAN

DID YOU CHECK THE ODDS AND ENDS BOX, NORMAN?!!

THAT'S NOT THE ODDS AND ENDS BOX, NORMAN, THAT'S THE ODDS AND SODS TIN!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE BITS AND BOBS DRAWER NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

:allears: merry Xmas Mrs Norman and every other ukmt goon

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

....would.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

What the gently caress is a bat detector? Is it your eyes??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Thank you for the bagsplenations. There were a ton of bats in the town I grew up in, and I did an academic research project about bats, but we never got any fancy bat detectors. =(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Close the umbrella with yourself inside it. become the bat.

I think you also need your parents to tragically get murdered in an ominously named alley for that.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Unlike candy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mebh posted:

Meanwhile I went out shopping for a rug and instead bought a giant golden alligator.

I should not be allowed to adult.

What are you gonna name it?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's your favourite Israeli artistic endeavour?

Habiluyim is a great band, for example, and pretty left wing. I'm assuming most of the thread would like them if you could understand the lyrics.

Just take the L.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just looked them up and tried a few bits & pieces:

I like this one: (reminds me a bit of Igorrr)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHZeXQF0H4

What do the words mean? (Roughly speaking not expecting full translation!) I'm assuming from the 'military' type noises near the end that it's potentially anti-war but obviously I have no idea but I read the wiki.

I found the hebrew lyrics & put them in google translate - don't make a lot of sense as presumably a literal translation - about majorities want minorities to make them tea and we can't go on without tea or something!

Good choice! They're heavy on puns and metaphors so it probably wouldn't translate that well but the gist of that song is about how Israeli society is crumbling because of how the majority (implied to be the jewish majority) keeps making the minority (implied to be palestinians) "make them tea".

The first bit is about how people are dying and the singer wants to die in winter (probably a jab at jingoistic militarism)

The chorus roughly translates:
"The will of the majority is for the minority to make us tea
we can't go on without something like tea
everything is crumbling and it's cold and everyone's mouth is full of bitterness
we can't go on without something like tea"

The second bit is about someone distracting herself from grief of the death of someone she knows, and then the chorus continues repeating for the last 3 minutes as the music gets more and more discordant and explosions and yelling keeps being heard.

They're also great with puns and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXlmh2IAyow this is basically a pun or two in every single line (plus an absolute banger)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Basically every street around where I work has a Palestinian flag fluttering in the breeze waving madly in the gales and it's nice to see as a person who believes the 'war' is just an excuse for genocide, but I don't think you'd have to be a Netanyahu-apologist to find it a little intimidating if you're Israeli or Jewish.

As someone who is both, the only reason you'd find it intimidating is the belief that if Palestine would be free, they'd do to Israel what Israel is currently doing to them, and subsequently that once there is no Israel every other country on earth is going to immediately go mask off and put up Auschwitz 2.

I can't really argue with being afraid of that 2nd part given the massive rightward shift of global politics recently, and I suspect that most Jews arrive at these fears via propaganda anyway, but the first bit is really inexcusable either way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

One of the keys to understanding all kinds of dynamics related to Israel in recent history is realizing that much of the right-wing thinking surrounding the country, both internal and external, is just the inverse of antisemitism, and thus carries with it the implications of antisemitic thinking.

For instance, the idea that Jews cannot safely live in countries outside of Israel, which implies that Jews cannot belong in or assimilate into any other country, and thus that all Jews outside of Israel are just temporarily embarrassed Israelis. Another aspect of this that you see among some gentile right wingers is that Jews are exceptionally smart and talented, which ties into the idea that Jews control the media, culture, government, etc.

Once you realize this, it's easy to understand why the Israeli right wing is so comfortable with deeply antisemitic groups like Trumpets Republicans or Viktor Orban's political party and vice versa.

I agree with a lot of this, but you have to understand that Jews legitimately don't think they can assimilate into non-israrli society well enough to not be genocided for good reason. There are people still alive whose families were very well assimilated in Germany before WW2. My grandfather's family was very well assimilated in their own country and it didn't help at all when the fash decided they need a scapegoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Way ahead of you.

Well, your username checks out.