Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Won't eat a salad, loving save me. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

I'm glad that I'm normal and so can enjoy the normal tastes of normal foods and know that coriander is good, cucumber is OK, sprouts are fine and celery is disgusting trash.

What is celery even for? People keep putting it in stews and stocks and stuff, and I'm pretty sure that they would all be improved by just not adding the celery in the first place.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't vote then. Go and spoil your ballot. You aren't obligated to rubber stamp giving these people power just because they turned up and paid the deposit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Breaking bad was good but on rewatching the story meanders a lot and there is tons of filler.

This is the problem with all these shows, they want to tell essentially a single, unbroken story spread over many overlong episodes, so most of it just becomes this bland paste like a really high budget soap opera.

I gave up on them entirely after Breaking Bad, everything I watch now is episodic. Like they can have an overarching story, but having each episode fundamentally stand up on the strength of an individual premise is just so, so much better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Good Place did a great job too, it's an ongoing story but each episode has its own premise, as does each season, so they all have a pretty distinct feel.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know it's generally considered that the royals sticking their noses into parliamentary affairs is a big no-no, but I think in this case Charles could just refuse to recognise another Tory PM without an election and very few people would have a problem with it.

It won't happen, but it would at least be something.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Remember that there are less than 400 MPs in parliament. There's plenty of positions to fill lower down from which the right people can be identified and the good ones can be blocked from the levers of power.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Most people are quite happy to have their chest listened to or their abdomens prodded.

Fewer are up for having their genitals manhandled so if you're one of the kind souls who agrees then you can be sure the students are going to queue up.

I've had my balls fondled a few times and each time the doctor has been extremely apologetic about it and I weirdly just don't care at all, they can fondle away.

E: terrible loving snipe, lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 11, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When was the last time we had an election where there's absolutely no sign of competence or energy from either main party? That's the key difference between now and 97, and 2010 when the Tories had revitalised themselves.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the frogs arrive of their own accord, unless the spider literally carries them in with their terrifying mandibles and fangs.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't like spice, I can tolerate a bit but don't actively enjoy it. I like a bit of tang though, I enjoy pickles and such.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And why are so many migrants coming here, motherfucker?

Why are so many migrants coming here?

E: oh wait, he said that. "Enemies" are doing it. Well that explains everything then, no further questions.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 16, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It can be hard with family because ultimately you only get one mother and wonder what could have been if things had been different, but an elderly narcissist is not going to change and is probably literally devoid of the capacity for human connection and gratitude no matter how much you try to give it to them. Like, their mind is a fire and your emotions are paper, you like everyone else are just fuel for her self gratification and however you proceed you first need to understand and make peace with that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm honestly not sure other than giving them the hard truths and/or severing. If empathy and help don't get through then you kind of just have to let them suffer the consequences of who they are. If they still refuse to change then they probably aren't able to, and I guess it's up to you then to decide what's best and what you can live with, both from them and for yourself.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even if you stay in contact, I absolutely would not involve anyone else with her and immediately sever any connections you've made there such as with the grandparents. Do as you will with her, but silo her off from anyone and everyone else in your life.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can't even get a bus ticket for £1.25.

Just sink this country, tear it up and start again. What's the loving point of anything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

I blame a bottle of black absinthe at 16 for my unshakeable aversion to all things licorice.

Same, but apple cider and the culprit was a bottle of knock-off White Lightning. I didn't even have that much overall, my body just took one look at it and went "nope, not having that inside me".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Aren't seitans those things that Scientologists measure to get your money?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not only does Michael Phelps get a pass, but inversely female athletes have always been punished for excellence, such as the creation of female leagues allowing vastly more funds to be siphoned to male leagues, or women just being banned from competing for their own natural advantages: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/07/two-cis-black-women-banned-olympics-natural-testosterone-levels/

There's a much wider conversation on sex-segregated sports to be had that would naturally include the place of trans people anyway, but regardless, anyone who suddenly decided that fairness in women's sports was the most important thing in the world after flatly ignoring it for their entire lives is a disingenuous prick who doesn't actually give a poo poo about the subject and only wants a stick to beat trans people with, so even if there's a salient debate to be had their opinions on the subject are quite literally worthless. So bluntly they can take the half-formed opinions they suddenly decided to have and gently caress off on the horse they rode in on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rafaello is my mortal weakness.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't he have some books out? Remember seeing them when I did the book charts.

Yes, and they're really poo poo. My mum wanted the latest one for Christmas, so before I wrapped it I opened a random page and the dialogue went roughly as follow:

"Is that you Billy?"
"Course it is, who did you think it was, Megan bleedin' Merkle?"

:rolleyes: ahahaha gently caress off Richard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I went into an M&S Food a week or so back and my brief observation was that in a lot of ways it wasn't really any more expensive than most, but it didn't bother having a budget range and had more high-quality stuff. Like if you needed to do your entire shop on a budget then you wouldn't go there, if you wanted something particularly nice then you would, and if you just needed a few essentials on the way home then it's fine. But I didn't stay long enough to actually test that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

poo poo weather, astronomical prices, the news is pure misery even by the usual standards and politically we have two groups hysterically yelling that they'll be making even harder decisions than each other come the next year.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Henrys are absolute lumpen pieces of poo poo and I don't understand why people still buy them, especially for their home.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Most of my floors are laminate and there are too many finicky spaces for a full size vacuum, so a thin cordless one is what I need tbh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah I was wondering that - would they accept either? What about Metal Gear Ac!d?

That's what I mean, the standards are insanely low. They usually go as far as questions like 'which game has a plumber in it'. Maybe you'll get a proper question on Only Connect once in a blue moon.

I remember Only Connect once had four Sonic characters in that round where you pick the four related things and I don't even think Sonic was one of them, so that's a start I guess.

But at this point videogames are so absurdly popular and part of the cultural zeitgeist that we should just sneer at them for being so uncultured.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'd still recommend watching a playthrough of Alyx, it's a lot of fun, ties into Half Life 2 and has some really fun set pieces of its own. Jeff was one of my all-time favourite parts of any game.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My dad also watched that Ricky Gervais dreck, but turned it off after a bit. He's picked up the idea from the cavalcade of twats that cross his Twitter feed that he should be sticking it to the wokes, but he really isn't that committed to it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm amazed that the TV license lasted this long past the advent of Sky. You had to pay for the installation of the dish and a monthly charge for the upkeep of the system, and channels still had adverts because you weren't actually funding any of them with your sub, but for some reason you still had to pay for a full TV license? You'd think that would have raised some eyebrows, but the British have the cultural inertia of a mountain being raised through continental drift.

I did look into getting a license for my new place, but the only way to pay the actual price was to pay the year in full - paying quarterly incurs a 5% surcharge, and paying monthly they now charge you over £30 a month to begin with to get you six months ahead on the license, just in case you can't pay it later on but still want to watch TV, which is definitely their call to make about your finances.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Every pub has an app now, they got there first but it ain't a reason to go anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

killerwhat posted:

I recently got the Shonen Jump app to catch up with One Piece, so I’ve been reading a fair amount of manga. I loved One Punch Man and Akane-banashi (about a woman’s quest to be the best at traditional Japanese stand up) but they’re not finished stories either :(

Give Undead Unluck a try, it starts crazy then just absolutely goes places.

Also come join the One Piece thread, every week we're just hooting and hollering about how Oda's done it again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love the weird quirks in Enterprise due to the less advanced tech, but yeah, the long backrubs and soft lighting in the decontamination chamber were a weird choice.

Prodigy is on Netflix now and it's actually a good watch, but obviously more of a kid's show. I'm waiting on that third season though, because it doesn't end on a cliffhanger but it does have some major unfinished business rip Chakotay.

Dabir posted:

Voyager was the worst because it just wasn't very good and we had high standards. Its badness came partly from context and it's kind of quaint that people got up in arms about them. Oh no, a bunch of episodes where the writer gets to minute 43, realised they haven't finished the plot yet and just writes "Captain's log: We solved the problem" instead of doing a second draft. The horror.

I think the most egregious one is where they're sent the Barclay hologram to get them home, but it's been hijacked by some Ferengi to send them through a wormhole that will destroy the ship and let them harvest Seven's Borg nanites from the wreckage. At the end of the episode Barclay kidnaps Seven and flies her through the wormhole.

It is firmly established that Voyager can't catch up with the shuttlecraft or beam Seven out. It then comes out the other side of the wormhole completely empty, Janeway says that they've deactivated the Barclay hologram, Seven is fine, then the episode ends. They literally seem to have forgotten to write a resolution to the problem.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 2, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Janeway is my favourite captain, she veers from being perfectly reasonable and calm to just being completely done with everyone's poo poo and doing the most ballistically ballsy poo poo possible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

I had the same experience. Made it like 3 episodes in at one point but it's a very slow and boring start. I've been told it gets good at season 2 but frankly I'm not willing to sit through an entire crappy first season - I've got other poo poo to do.

I will not tolerate that poo poo anymore, you can be interesting right out the gate or you can gently caress off. I'm willing to overlook a show's problems because sometimes a concept needs room to breathe and grow, but with a lot of slow shows that's not the case and the writers are just dragging their feet. Since people brought up BSG, consider how strongly that began - the opening episode immediately starts in the middle of a crisis with a really unique premise, and even once it settles down it throws out an interesting new problem each week.

I've long since concluded that you need a decent episodic structure for anything to be worth watching, even when a longer serialised story is the main draw. Any show where the episode descriptions are some variant of "A talks to B. C makes a decision. D confronts E" are absolute trash that are not, never were and never will be worth wasting your time on. This is the hill I will die on beyond the point of reason.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched the first few episodes of Babylon 5 and they were indeed extremely poo poo. I'm told it gets better though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In Star Trek Prodigy the ship has an experimental drive that can zip around the galaxy in no time, so I guess they just needed a few years in an actual lab to study all their findings and make something stable.

Aside from it exploding into a supernova if the drive's shield fails and causing temporal rifts, but it still works!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry folks, it's just not time for an election right now!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/04/keir-starmer-speech-rishi-sunak-labour-conservatives-uk-politics

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Celebrations wrappers look like dogshit now as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sanford posted:

He wasn’t in all last week and this morning said thanks for picking up all his stuff, sorry about that. I said “you’re welcome but honestly mate I’m getting used to it” with a laugh he laughed too… and now he’s gone and told the CEO I am being unwelcoming, making it harder for him to come back to work, and it’s not my business if he’s in or not. I’ve been asked to give the CEO a call this afternoon. We get on fine.

So he has too much anxiety to do his job in pretty much any capacity, but at the first mildly jokey comment is able to run straight to the CEO of the company and lay everything bare.

Not to imply that he doesn't have difficulties of course, but it doesn't bode well for his attitude and willingness to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, I just saw an ad reminding people to bring photo ID for the election on the 2nd May. Apparently no-one has told the electoral commission that they were planning to delay it.