Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jippa posted:

Do you sleep in a specific position?

You could try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees. This takes the weight of your legs off your spine and generally relaxes you. Give it a go for a few days at least.

This is the pro sleeping strat, minimises snoring and makes my dodgy knee feel much nicer after a long run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's not like you need a special pillow. But as it happens I have a triangular one which I use for sitting up and watching screen and then it transfers between my legs very effectively, as long as my dog doesn't object to me moving an inch once she's settled

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's like when all the Russian channels suddenly start showing Swan Lake instead of news. This is the signal that you need to join your comrades in the streets and dust off your guillotine

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Didn't realise the UK had embraced Hoxhaist thought

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

Hoxhaism-Wombleism

Finally, I know how to self-identify when the local candidates come door-knocking during election season

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Wonderful memes which I will be appropriating

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
100% with the restaurant, gently caress that goon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
UKMT 2024: Baldman eat the salad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ms Adequate posted:

Also lmfao imagine being such a danger you go "I don't eat salad :colbert:" fuckin hell mate it's not a point of principle you're just bald

OwlFancier is a good lad, mostly, not sure of their bald dtatus

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chubby Henparty posted:

We've had the cucumber discussion before. A friend of mine has the cucumber gene and knows if she's in the room with one, like some sort of side character from Vic Reeves Big Night Out. The myth goes it is similar to the American brown snake so she'll be safe from that, or doubly paranoid about salad.

Yeah we have, I remember ranting because I am also a Cucumber Mentat and places are always putting it in the water and it tastes like doo-doo water

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Dinner has i-cumin in
Lewdly sing cuckoo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think there's just a lot more famous people now, or at least vaguely-recognisable people. And every single one of their deaths is disseminated on social media and the MSM. If you know of a few thousand people and many of them are Olds then yeah there's gonna be a steady stream of dying in your feed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ms Adequate posted:

You never hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore, do you?

You absolutely do if you're a fan of Robert Fripp. Or YouTube MILFs I guess

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HopperUK posted:

Succession grates on my nerves because one of the characters shares my first name but uses a nickname for it I *really hate*.

I liked it as an abbreviation tbh :ese:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mesopotamia posted:

I have this hunch the intro music started out intending to sound like the kind of tacky poo poo someone like Kendal would listen to ("it's classy piano, right, but it's got a hip hop beat and sub bass"), but ended up being taken seriously because a load of people liked it. It's proper shite.

Counterpoint, it's a very catchy theme with a melody that's earwormy despite going outside its key maybe 4 times - it makes it fun to noodle.

And the exact elements you describe (slightly gauche faux-classical melody mixed with modern subs and a beat) perfectly complements the thematic elements of vulgar rich idiot being supplanted by his clan of equally vulgar rich idiot kids who have pretensions of being cool and "with it".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

Very frenulous grin on that chip.

I just checked and my frenulum doesn't look anywhere near as happy as that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MeinPanzer posted:

Can't believe people think the Succession theme is bad. For everyone speculating about how it's meant to be interpreted, here's the composer, Nicholas Brittel, talking about it:

This is a dumb writeup, because a waltz rhythm would have worked and would maybe have been a way of depicting the struggle between the 3 main characters i guess but... it's not a waltz, it's in 4/4. And everyone forgets about the real Eldest Boy!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I recommend "Knives Out" for some inheritance related drama. :ese:

Good film.

Also, if you want something which probably provided inspiration to Succession, try Festen, the 90s Danish movie. It's the first of the Dogme films so it has that really pretentious handheld art-film style, but it's also excellent and dark and awkward as all hell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah I remember liking Dancer In The Dark. I should watch Beneath The Waves

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

grobbo posted:

Nicholas Cage has said he wants to leave movie acting and move into TV so he can spend an hour making faces at luggage

Had a good chuckle Imagining making this face at some luggage

Or maybe it's Luggage, and he's gonna be Rincewind in a Discworld TV series

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

smellmycheese posted:

Robocop was on ITV4 last night and good lord does it feel tight, to the point of insanely rushed, compared to how that kind of thing.would be produced now. It would be the final episode of season 1 before Murphy even gets shot to bits by the bad guys.

Well, it is a movie

(I mean I know there was a tv show but I assume they're not re-airing that?)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Diet Crack posted:

Rewatch the Young Ones
probably reflects modern Britain still

They'd all be Tory landlords now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I guess I only mentioned it recently but Mad Men owns, I'm only halfway through but I slept on it for way too long. Just a complete idiot bumbling his way to success because he's a tall white guy with a deep voice, it's hilarious and even more hilarious that goons started modelling themselves on Don Draper

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Private Speech posted:

That's honestly been a popular solution for a while, also similar for non-EU with other more permissive EU countries back when that was an option.

Quite seriously it might be the only option. It's not all that bad IMO, you can always move to the UK once you have the citizenship.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, lol.

But yeah, if you can find somewhere to live in Ireland it seems a lot better than the bleak fash landscape of Toryland these days. And having gone through visa stuff with my non-EU partner it's permissive and easy as hell here compared to most places

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

el dingo posted:

Lol yeah tell me about it. To get a working visa for the UK about 12 years ago the form was about 50 pages, I gave up and paid a lawyer about £250 to do it for me. Took about a month

The working holiday form for Ireland was just over a page and took me 5 minutes to fill in myself. I had it granted in a few days

I've managed to renew my Irish passport online and have it delivered to my house within 24 hours. Despite the usual generalised awfulness of bureaucracy, some specific parts can work extremely well

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

There was a cyber attack against some infrastructure at Sellafield, but the graphic isn't based on something that's currently happening, it's based on top of the range simulations like building a terrible reactor there in the 50s and letting it catch fire.

Phew was worried there for a sec-

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's a bit of an internet cliché, but insanely accurate for my generation:

Plants are the new pets.
Pets are the new kids.
Kids are like the new exotic animals, where you need to be incredibly wealthy and slightly insane to have them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's going to be soo many chernobyls.

Literally all the chernobyls perhaps

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Childcare should be expensive - it's the most fundamental function of our species. It should also be wholly subsidised by the state but lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

Some anthropologists speculate we could go back to alloparenting once the system of patriarchal property rights that sustained the nuclear family collapses in on itself.

That would be cool actually, I'm sorry not to have lived in such an era. I have no interest in kids myself but I might be willing to put in like, 5% parenting effort for some of my niblings or my mates' kids.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Before Hemingway came along, this was the shortest tragic story ever written

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

"For sale, prairie vole child abuse brain, involved in car accident" was the 'ra obit for Mountbatten.

I guess he was kind of alloparenting Charles. And uhhhh all those other kids(?)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

my brother's parents

I know this one... they were both your surgeon!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
THEY'RE TURNING THE CYBERMEN GAY NORMAN

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

UKMT Winterval 2015/16 - If I'm at work you're not wearing any trousers

I support this (uhh the title I mean)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

She got done by that cameraman/producer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

smellmycheese posted:

Emergency Sunak press conference at eleven lol !

:rms:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Desiderata posted:

His reaction Poem "The Blinding Sun" was absolutely vicious, but thanks to the decay of Google, I cannot find an example of it either as video or text.

Edit: Found it in the end, I was getting the title wrong

drat that's a great poem

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sanford posted:

cometh the hour, cometh the man?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I get that if I point out to someone that my mother in law is dead. They rush to say how lucky I am.

that's loving mental. My mother-in-law died a few years ago and if someone pulled that on me they'd be getting a "the gently caress is your problem?" at the very least.

(Because I'm a hard man, ouuuu )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fatty posted:

Probably been posted here before, but I just heard this on 6Music and it immediately made me think of the UKMT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlghGgWuAs

Can confirm, this goes. I had a UKMT-related chuckle at "choking down some gammon" alright.

My one note - the bit about snorting coke through a note with the Queen's face seems like a missed opp for an Elizabeth Line reference