Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You people with sleep issues, have you tried CBD? If you have and it hasn't worked, have you tried taking more CBD? It stops me waking up at 3AM and my body thinking it's time to get up then. Over time I've built up a tolerance so I make my own oil now from isolate and MCT oil.
I would love to but it's £60 a bottle, unless you get it online in which case jesus christ do not buy medicines from online.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Precondition the car to whatever temperature you want in the app. If you share your calendar with it it'll know when you want to leave and do this anyway without you having to ask.
You can also use this feature to create a side hustle mushroom farming.

Do Teslas know when it's icy for adjusting self drive, or is this another thing where if it crashes you get told off for using the self drive thing to drive itself because you're not supposed to let it self drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

and now I need a butt injection.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was mugged once, sort of. I was very confused, and I think overall I would like it if he was stopped from doing it to anyone else. I just don't think that at the moment, there are really any systems in our society that are able to do that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

E: I think you’re all just upset that NJAN might not invite you to his house warming party
It'll be a short party when he turns the heat pump on and it blows up from the lack of ventilation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dabir posted:

Snake is the theory yeah.
I was reading something about cats and object permenance, there's a theory that 'something that is suddenly there that wasn't there before' sets off their panic reflex because it has the same response as 'is moving toward me very fast.'

kecske posted:

I don't think piss is vegan
Was it harvested willingly and cruelty free?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The forever war must continue. Although at least if they gently caress off and do it in space we don't have to put up with people on earth being displaced.

Plus, we can just kessler syndrome ourselves a big spinning metal sphere of death preventing humans from inflicting ourselves on the rest of the universe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've cracked it. Once Musk gets to Mars, he will set up fully automated space libertarianism, at which point Britain will be obligated to go to war with the Planet of the Nonces. Hence, space wars.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The essex space program sending an indignant, rat faced woman up with 2 Big Lads and a facebook live uplink in a modified corsa.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Leave 'im Gary, it's not worth it!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are a bunch of things that don't count toward the savings limit bullshit, you just need to find them or get an accountant who knows.

I don't think Vanguard accounts count (because they're not savings, they're ✨iNvEsTmEnTs✨), and it would give you a bit of a passive income.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do you have your dad's wishes recorded anywhere? That might be grounds to contest the will if you do.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I prefer the original Manga Carta.

kecske posted:

otherwise normal, functional family units can fall apart as soon as theres money to be had from an estate to settle. Cash sums like that suddenly being within grasping distance make people go nuts
One of my grandad's brothers died and left everything to his 2 brothers. Not even a huge amount, maybe a few grand after his funeral costs were taken care of.

It was supposed to go mostly to my grandad, but the youngest brother decided to contest it and hired a solicitor. Then he started insisting that his solicitor's fees should come out before the estate was divided up.

Then he went full Trump, hiring solicitor after solicitor and firing them when they told him he would never get what he wanted, like it was now a legal impossibility and also he owed more money to solicitors than he stood to get if successful.

He had the loving cheek to turn up while they were sorting probate for my grandad and start demanding my mam sign some forms, but she stood her ground, which I'm proud of her for.

As far as we know he's still chasing lawyers and racking up bills.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress cutting ties, i'd be getting a restraining order. Jesus.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Out of date luncheon vouchers got me acting unwise.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Minimum salary requirement for a skilled worker visa going up to 38k lol that should help.
I think the idea is less about limiting skilled workers and more about making sure anyone earning under that is classed as unskilled, and can therefore be exploited under the abusive farming visas.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

What's the betting that Hunt or one of his aides will leave a note in a desk saying "There's no money left" before leaving?

That's a tradition now, right?
Speaking of traditions,

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

maybe they didn't know fuct was talking about their own mum
That, also what giant pissbaby reported that post.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DreddyMatt posted:

You'd think being in the top 15% of earners in one of the richest countries on earth would put you comfortably into nice car, expressive clothes and eating out regularly territory, but instead it's 'can afford a mortgage and raise children'.
gently caress, less than a generation. In 2008, before I got RSI and my life became surreal, I was supporting myself on a £14k salary, renting in a shared house, and honestly felt I had enough spare for the odd game or trip to the pub if I wanted.

Now I'm not earning, and we live off my wife's sole income, and every month it feels like we barely make it to the finish line. I don't just mean in terms of finance, I mean in terms of she has said if she didn't have me cooking, cleaning, washing and organising the house, she would turn into a feral racoon person and probably get fired for turning up to work wearing a cereal box.

And we are in the extrordinarily optimistic position of having a mortgage smaller than most rents (I'm not going to say lucky because the only reason we only have a half mortgage is because my wife's mum died young of prolonged cancer and there was a pandemic that killed the previous occupants of this house).

And still we have fuel companies boasting about record profits while our heating bill is now four times the size of any other bill we pay. We went through looking at them the other day and it was £60 a month this, £50 a month that; and then £180 for bloody octopus.

Buy fewer octupi, I guess.

The worst of it is how when you point this out, there's a certain type of tory bellend like Lee Anderson or Jamie Oliver who pulls the whole "hmnyah, but I see you have a television and a playstation, you could sell those and live off porridge" like having an entire country living in emiserated destinution is fine, actually.

Actually no, it makes perfect sense for people like Sunak and Cameron to boast about Britain being one of the richest countries in the world but never spending it. Miserly cunts.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm in the Fallout:UK mod. I'm in the Children of Men cosplay. I'm in the combination Fallout:UK mod / Children of Men cosplay.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

a catastrophic failure of the waste infrastructure
What is a nuclear storage silo if not The Biggest Bin.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

looks like nature is healing
*mutating

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

Is 'cybersex' still a thing, nowerdays? It was all the rage 15-20 years ago, but it seems pretty quaint now.
I think people just send each other pics and video now.

Unless that's the type of cyber they wanted Fatima to retrain in.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Damnit, Guava stole the first half of my post.

Angepain posted:

I love this because even taken completely at face value it would mean half the goddamn country isn't allowed to fall in love with A Foreign
I mean, yes. In an entirely unironic sense the people who come up with and enforce these policies use phrases like 'white erasure' and 'muddying the genepool.' They literally do not want non british genes entering our incestuous little cesspool.

Guavanaut posted:

Canada at least has MAID as a fallback if you want to do that, whereas the pro suffering ghouls over here won't even let us have that.
But what if I am terrible at dusting?

E: 22 is the number of times I will call this boy a cutie:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 6, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I found this on facebook of all places the other day.

No idea what it's from and fully expect that character to get milkshake ducked, but it does summarise a huge problem with most centrist journalism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

It does seem awfully common (and uniquely British?) for men to end up married to women they hate. They just keep moaning about them down the pub. Like why did you bother getting married
Reminds me of that twitter trend of thumb men with england flag avatars and their bio was always 'love me kids, hate me wife, simple as.'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I get that if I point out to someone that my mother in law is dead. They rush to say how lucky I am. Usually I have to clarify that she died young, of cancer, it was ugly, it was drawn out and she was a really nice person.

But yeah, some people are weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"And on that pedestal, these words appear:
Coptic peoples drive like this,
And Semitic people drive like this,
And what is the deal with peanuts on the Abydos sailboats?"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm always interested in translations that preserve the spirit of the original rather than the literal wording. Like the guy who discovered that most of the jokes in Aristophanes plays still work if you use a Scottish accent for Sparta and a Somerset accent for Boetia, and replace the Sparrow with a Cock.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The beatings will continue and morale will never improve.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mrpwase posted:

Scab driver leaves the station with the pantograph elevated incorrectly,
oh no he didnt

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Tremendous to see we’re back to this sort of bollocks again. The Upper Class soap opera of poo poo that never ends…

The Canneloni Corbynistas of Covent Garden North at it again, thanks Brendan.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean Jessflips has plenty abominable opinions and behaviour to be going after.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I can’t believe that I nearly upset the delicate feelings of Jess Phillips. Lucky you guys were here to stick up for her though. I bet she’ll be really pleased.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

No, but perhaps you’d like to reflect on how your touchy-feely, respect everyone’s feelings regardless of who they are and what they’ve done hippy bollocks has achieved absolutely nothing good in the last 13 years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feel like pure poo poo just want him back

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Imo they should use established best practices in terms of admin and bureaucracy as a baseline, and generally speaking let other sectors of society do the experimentation with new ideas (This is very weird for me to say because I am normally fully about progress, but when lives are quite literally on the line every day I'm slower to advocate for risktaking) and adopt them when they are shown to be worthwhile.
This would be lovely, however what will happen is clueless upper middle management will procure a bunch of terrible, useless geegaws that don't quite do what they need to, because the manufacturers reps took them out to a big dinner and baffled them.

This happened twice when I worked for the NHS - first time was the new biochem machine that didn't work, then after a month or so when it did work, wouldn't output the results correctly, and never interacted with the hospital's systems or carried out tests to UK standards.

Then we had the introduction of the Cerner/Fujitsu CRS platform, which on its day of introduction ordered 7 full blood spreads to be taken from a newborn (and the head of SCBU only spotted it because they were fresh on shift), and it kept breaking down and refusing to interact with anything.

In both cases the companies promised that the systems would be able to do all of the things that were stipulated as necessities of the departments. Then the second the procurement was over, the support was handled by 3rd parties who didn't know how anything worked and didn't have the authority to redesign it to make it do what was promised.

I think we managed to get rid of the biochem machine, but as far as i know RHCH Winchester is still using CRS because they weren't able to get out of the contract.

That's the kind of 'innovation' that Wes wants. Not actual streamlining and efficiency improvements, but people and departments cut. Not new technology that would actually help, but big flashy machines so he can go to conferences and fly out to America and feel like the biggest most important boy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In hundreds of years internet archaeologists will uncover this post, get very confused, go back a page and find the sumerian dog joke, and be even more confused.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A historian enters an archived thread on the wayback machine, and says "this is in dark mode, i'll open this one."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ancient mesopotamian tablet complaining about someone taking a poo poo on-site.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Betjeman posted:

He's got all the power, all he needs to do is threaten an election
Typical Tory reaction.

*listening in earpiece*

Oh an eLection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Are we about to get a Touching goon reunion?