Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
warm water out of the hot tap has always worked for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

A couple of years of a cat jumping off the windowsill onto my groin at 5AM taught me the true power of doors.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Solefald posted:

Always found it weird that Celery is one of the major allergens but I've never met anyone other than me who has an allergy or intolerance.

If I eat celery it makes my tongue and throat swell and it tastes like poison

If it's cooked I just get the poison taste but not the swelling

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Or they'll keep raising the retirement age

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

THEY ARRESTED SANTA???

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Remember that time Liz Truss got lost in a room

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

They couldn't see him from the peephole

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Tories really going in hard for those reform votes

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Around my way most people are keeping a reasonable distance in queues which is something, I guess

I still stand several feet away from people when talking to them but I never did like wearing masks (never had an issue with someone else wearing one tho)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Yes it is, which I guess means the article isn't clear enough on what's changing.

I think it means a temp worker can't book holiday they haven't accrued yet. Ie you can't book a weeks holiday in Jan because you'd only accrue 2.4 days that month. You'd have to wait until March to take a week off.

I'm not sure though.

https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2023/11/06/holiday-pay-rights-uk-tuc/

Sounds like:

1) holiday pay to be at basic level, whereas currently it takes expected overtime, commission, bonuses into account
2) holiday pay can now be included in the hourly rate, which is horrible and encourages people not to take holiday, but easy peasy for payroll (watch for overtime being paid at a lower rate than regular hours I guess)
3) (not sure if this is right) there is no longer any legal meaning to bank holidays and they're now just rolled into normal holiday

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

He's got all the power, all he needs to do is threaten an election

Also, love that one of these factions is called "the common sense group". The next one's going to be "the man on the street group" and the "simple as group"

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 11, 2023

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I didn't see the wider interview, but this clip seems like her complaint is about "unprocessed" asylum seekers waiting around, unable to do anything other than cost money, which is a fair thing to be against

Being against Rwanda and the bibby boat and suggesting the solution to that is to process them faster is good, isn't it?

The bit about being potentially dangerous is unnecessary gammon flourish

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Myth: ARFID is the same as picky eating and individuals will grow out of it.
Fact: ARFID results in weight loss, nutritional deficiencies, deterioration in physical function and an adverse effect on an individual’s personal, professional and social life.

I'd never heard of arfid before but I've had psychological issues towards certain food (mashed potatoes, salty ham, savoury pastry) since I was a child. I still can't go near a Greggs without feeling ill.

Luckily I found that with enough chillies anything can be made edible

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was a kid there were foods I did not want to eat because they made me feel sick (macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese - which to me is about the foulest food creation on the planet, cheese on toast, Welch Rarebit etc) and I would be sat in the kitchen with my apron strings tied round the back of the chair until it was eaten sometimes hours later.
Now, it's a little galling to see my mum getting ARFID newsletters etc because of my great-niece's reluctance to eat anything except plain pasta with a bit of butter on top.

Cauliflower cheese is gross agreed but sounds like you just refused to eat things you didn't like. My mum tried the same but it turned out I was just offended by her cooking.

Sounds like your niece has some serious issues that need to be addressed.

My cousin would only voluntarily eat cereal and Marmite on toast growing up and he's since had a lifetime of mental health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The main difference is a fussy eater just doesn't want to eat the thing. Someone with ARFID cannot bring themselves to eat the thing, no matter how much they are punished or cajoled into doing it. It's a pathological block, not a choice.

It has to be something pathological with me.
I can eat a potato absolutely fine. But mash that same potato, and for whatever reason I cannot physically swallow it and can only drink it down with something very highly flavoured. It's bizarre.
Same with savoury pastry - I love croissants but stick some ham or something in it and I can't eat it. The smell alone becomes revolting, though I have no issues with the smell of pastry or the smell of ham in isolation.