Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Microplastics posted:

If only we had a train network to match theirs, eh?

Oh I'd love to work on that network, I'm told they still do live line maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Their general track design is supposed to be better than ours as well. I've been told that their really old stuff that you get away from the big population centres can be worse than we have because they haven't upgraded it yet but working on the stuff around Tokyo would be really interesting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very Hamas looking, glad the IDF got em!

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1736138227633766874

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It probably makes him feel really important because he is a small, pathetic man.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can't even get a bus ticket for £1.25.

Just sink this country, tear it up and start again. What's the loving point of anything.

You can get a large bag of square crisps though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sorry if anyone finds this post offensive I am posting it in good faith and if the language I use is bad the please drag me so I can correct it but i have a question for the trans people in this thread.

I was watching a YouTuber I like and he was having a debate on should trans women be allowed to compete in women's sport. It made me wonder how big an issue is that in the U.K. trans community? Because it seems to me that just getting basic respect and health care is a huge problem for trans people at the moment. Again if this is a badly done post tell me and I will willingly change it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Only a small subset of UK people are trans and it's only a subset of them that do competitive sports and there's only a small subset of them where anyone has any problem with it, by which time you've got down to a vanishingly tiny number of cases.

I suspect it only gets the airtime in the press and on YouTube that it does because it's seen as a wedge issue that can easily be portrayed as being about 'fairness' rather than 'transphobia' which can then be exploited to draw people more deeply into gender critical craziness.

Yeah, I feared that would be the answer. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, shamefully I don't really know enough about trans issues and the trans community.

OwlFancier posted:

There are solutions to these problems because the problems are actually general problems, but the right only pretends to care about them insofar as they can be applied as a beating stick against their preferred targets and aren't interested in the actual solutions.

This YouTuber is quite a leftist but I've noticed that there are enough on the left who seem to think a trans woman is some sort of madness.

Guavanaut posted:

anyone writing less words on that specific issue who is not a trans athlete themselves can be safely assumed to be angling for guardian headlines rather than taking a serious position, and should be taken about as seriously as "but what if a gay rugby in the showers???" article from 30 years ago.

One of the examples that the YouTuber used was a trans woman breaking the leg of a cis woman during rugby training, when he said that I had to give up on the video. I had payed rugby, in various forms, for nearly 20 years I've seen people break bones during training, I've gotten a bad injury in training. It felt like a very disingenuous thing to bring up.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

its (allegedly) about perceived unfair advantage, although nobody ever gave a hot gay gently caress that michael phelps was racking up the golds with more cheat code advantages than anyone. Including but not limited to having a body that was observed to produce only half as much lactic acid as any peer athletes, massively reducing fatigue and recovery times in comparison.

Unless you're Caster Semenya then they care about finding a way to stop your unfair advantage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think sports are pointless and I do value competition but I think worrying about transpeople in sports is like at the figure this out later end of the scale due to the numbers involved suggested earlier.

And by figure it out later I mean once you've figured out to respect people for who and what they identify as, cos probably once you've done that, the sporting rulebook edits are a much less difficult task.

Yeah I think there are bigger things we need to look at as well and, remembering I am a cis male, I wouldn't complain if they decided to shelve trans women's involvement in women's sports until they sorted those issues out.

Ms Adequate posted:

It's an effective wedge issue because it feels like it makes sense, and you can twist it so you feel like it's not a contradiction to say you support trans people but this is a special area that needs special consideration. Without knowing some of the effects of things like HRT it's understandable that some people would think "Trans women have an advantage because of their bone structure/male muscles/etc" and not realize that things are far more complex than that.

It's depressing that it has been blown up into such a large issue as if it dominates all trans discourse.

Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

IIRC it was before Boyle melted and started inviting Sarah Pascoe and Badiel on to New World Order.

E: Sept 2014 this was uploaded, so well before he was even starting to get wet around the edges. I don't think Corbyn was even a candidate at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRz9RPlsDQ

I haven't rewatched it, but my recollection is that Osman wasn't primarily being defensive, he was pretty relentlessly laying in to him and there were a bunch of ambush questions that were basically "aren't you childish / a bit of a oval office for saying this thing." All of Osman's objections seem to come from that smug, centrist 'sensible grown-up' platform that would later take over comedy and monster Corbyn between 2017-2019.

As I said, Boyle was extrordinarily patient and well thought out in his answers which just makes Osman look all the more like a spiteful, superior oval office about it. Also it's not 'Richard Osman in conversation with Frankie Boyle,' he was supposed to be interviewing him, not preaching at him like some kind of centrist Piers Morgan.

It's an oddly adversarial interview, as if Osman has brought out Boyle just to disagree at him. I watched until the point Osman said that Mock the Week's viewing figures have gone up since Frankie left then Frankie replied that they'd almost halves since he left, so Osman said they'd agree to disagree. A quick look on wiki shows that Frankie was correct the viewing figures had almost halved.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Wachter posted:

I'm not sure I fully accept Boyle's explanation of the joke, but the interview is a masterclass in responding to an adversarial interviewer. Osman audibly corncobs after the "the audience voted for it" line

The Harvey joke? Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a weak justification.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well happy Christmas all. I have to go to bed early, I have an early start in the morning going down to Reading to start work. I do get paid double time tomorrow and Boxing day so that's nice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I got back from the Christmas work in Reading yesterday exhausted. What a traumatic experience it was, if something could go wrong it did go wrong. People no showed, equipment wasn't delivered, some of it broke down. A train broke down in the middle of the site adding hours to each train movement in and out of site. Welds failed, rail and sleepers were damaged. To top it all off some poor soul committed suicide five minutes from where we were working, I earnestly hope that mental health care in this country gets better in 2024.

Anyway, happy new year to you all.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Belated happy new years, back at work after the christmas weekend and shitposting on SA. Have -28C here today and it's gonna drop to -33 they say.

Now that's staying in and eating all the Christmas leftovers weather.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

This is what I see when we do hiring rounds. Lots of Indian or Pakistani applicant's who have degrees from their home countries and decade plus of experience and then suddenly pop to the UK to get a masters. Something that's completely unnecessary in my industry.

It's pretty obvious what they are doing. But they are skilled immigrants, I thought that's what the Tories claim they want?

Yes but from Norway or Italy or the like.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I have to kick someone out of my gang tomorrow. He's annoying has refused to work and rubs everyone up the wrong way especially if he doesn't get his own way. The other gangers have asked why I haven't gotten rid of him already. But I hate just cutting people off like that, if we don't work we don't get paid so even thought my life will be easier still feels poo poo getting rid of someone.

Just having a bit of a vent.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Are you pickpockets or something?

No, we do rail maintenance.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He's just not pulling his weight stepping slowly toward their enemies while clicking their fingers. Totally out of sync.

Reveilled posted:

Could you maybe have another one of your gang garrote him from behind in the car while you're driving over a bridge and then dump him out so he can sleep with the fishes? It'd be the kinder thing to do, I think.

Lmao.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Do you want to piss him off or the rest of the gang?

They are an adult who is supposed to do a job and should know better, time to remove them from the equation before everyone gets brought down.

Yeah you're right he is a shockingly childish man on times. He once punched the side of the van because someone sat in the seat he wanted to sit in.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Michael Gove and Boris have probably done a lot of rails in the Strangers Bar, let them know you're hiring.

Our main driver once turned to me and said "you know, I'd love to kill Boris Johnson" in the most matter of fact way.

TACD posted:

A rail maintenance gang?

It does feel that way sometimes.

grobbo posted:

in sincerity,

This sucks and I'm sorry. Try and remember that this is on him and not on you; ultimately your responsibility is to the entire team, not to him, and it sounds like you've tried to make it work and everyone's at their limit. Feeling the weight of it is a reminder that you're conscientious, not a sign that you're doing anything wrong.

Thanks. I think we'll be the third of fourth gang he'll have been kicked out of.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I've never heard gang used in a professional setting :shrug:

I suppose you don't these days and it does feel like a very 18th century term.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's cheeky as gently caress.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OzyMandrill posted:

Lava bread* can get hosed tho.

* It's thin, papery seaweed, a bit like Nori I guess, but served hot, wet, and inedible to non-whelk lifeforms.

When I was a kid I would eat that stuff cold. Just buy it in the market and walk around eating it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well I kicked that guy out of the gang today and it was about as much fun as I hoped with it culminating in him grabbing me by the throat and pushing me against the van. Still he's gone so that's one stressful thing off my back.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry about the physical assault, that's poo poo. But definitely confirmation that he's a wrong'un and you made the right call

Thanks. I did think that he may get aggressive so I had the talk with him out of ear shot of the other boys but where they could see us. I did have it in my head to let him hit me once so I could point to that as something else to kick him out over.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

For fucks sake, nobody needs that type of poo poo at work.

He would have gotten worse over time and some in the gang might have decided try elsewhere, so i'm glad you got rid of him and sorry that it went physical.

Any chance he might try and hold a grudge, or will he just move on to ply his shite elsewhere?

He can hold a grudge all he likes and if he ends up attacking me it's only going to get him arrested and fired.

No other gang in the company wanted anything to do with him before this and they want less to do with him now. He'll have to go to another company.

Sanford posted:

Names not Damien, is it? Just an absolute oval office of a guy I used to know, does the railways and has to my knowledge been kicked out of at least two gangs due to his general cuntishness.

No. Sadly this industry attracts a fair few twats.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally, a website not scared to tell the truth.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I can see there's a gradient but I can't tell what the colours in the gradient are.

I always have trouble explaining it but it's like, you know how blurry vision blurs the edges of things? Well colourblindness blurs the colours of things. I have low colour acuity centered around the red/green bit of the spectrum but it extends to everything to a degree.

I can see there's colours but that whole bit of the spectrum of red/green/orange/yellow is extremely subjective, it could be any of the colours depending on how I want to think about it.

The bluish one isn't much better, gradients in general are just unpleasant to think about. They're fine as backgrounds but if I try to look at them and identify any of the colours my brain starts to crunch. Like looking at a blurry image through blurry eyes.

Which is also IMO a point for not trying to sort people into male/female because gently caress if I can tell what a lot of people are going for.

For me the colours keep moving. I think I know where the colours change and suddenly it's not what I thought it was and for a moment the whole thing becomes one colour and then I start getting a headache.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This is so sad

quote:

A postmistress from Edinburgh falsely accused of stealing £30,000 tragically alone, and penniless in a homeless hostel, her family has said.

Fiona McGowan passed away in 2009 at the age of 47 after she lost her family, her home, and her job.

Her three children, who have bravely come forward to fight for justice, said the Post Office Horizon scandal is to blame for killing their mum and tearing all their lives apart.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

He was blaming Starmer for a lot of the things he didn’t like, which is quite impressive 360 degree noscope puppeteering for a leader of the opposition.

How do people get like this? I'm a loving idiot but even I recognise that the government has more power than the opposition.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Utterly mental but I have been told that there are certain parts of the country that are just like this where literally everyone has a parasocial relationship with the Royal family to the point where they react like 9/11 shot Kennedy when one of them gets sick.

My mother will mainline any program about the royals. When Liz died she actually phoned me all teared up telling me she was the only queen I'd ever know as if that was supposed to mean something or I cared. It's bizarre.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hello, operator? My fellow humans have feelings of group belonging that I don’t share. Can I stop this?

Thank you, that's all I ask. Is that too much?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Good post.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that people don't stop and think if something makes sense. It's always fun to hear people say mainstream media is worthless but believe whatever they pump out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

When I was a little poo poo I had a friend that went into Littlewoods (remember them?) around Christmas time picked up a TMNT backpack and filled it with toys before putting it on his back and walking out. I only managed a dinobot so I was way behind him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Worked with an absolute psychopath today. I have been working on a long project and have been in work 6 days straight but have tomorrow off. This other guy I have been working with also has tomorrow off. He told me "don't worry I can get us another shift on a different site."

When I told him it's alright and I'm looking forward to a day off he looked at me like he had seen an alien and said "what? And leave money on the table."

The man is deranged.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A real life hustle bro, never seen one actually working a real job rather than posting about it on twitter or whatever.

Jakabite posted:

That is deranged. What’s the point in earning loads of money if you don’t have time to enjoy it?

He's a good enough worker but people are surprised he's 55 because he looks nearly 70. I don't know if he hates his home life or what but it's crazy how much he works.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't know if he has stuff to pay off but he join the rails through a British Rail contract and everyone of those guys who managed that has got a loving great pension. A lot of them have been retiring at 60 because they'll get nearly as much as they're earning now through their pension.

Funny thing is he isn't the worst offender. There is a guy who will drive the mini buses or do some gateman shift and he is in his early 80s. He'd been working on the rails since his early 20s. He showed me a picture of his house and it's massive, it has a couple of extensions on it, it's all paid off. His sons are both doing well for themselves. He's got a summer house in the south of France. But you can call him up and say you need him to jump on a shift as a mini bus driver in 20 minutes and he'll accept it no questions asked.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

It was this oval office: Jeremy Hosking

Very interesting

quote:

Hosking is listed in the Parliamentary register of interests as having donated legal services to Andrew Bridgen MP to the value of £4,470,576.42 in December 2023, "the costs of which will be repaid to the donor on an interest-free basis."

Outcome of legal services?

quote:

After losing the case, Bridgen stated that "in actuality I won the case and my brother will be compelled by the Court in due course to repay considerable sums of money back to the businesses", adding "if courts always got everything correct the first time there would be no need for appeal mechanisms". In August 2022, Bridgen was evicted from the property, and ordered to pay £800,000 in legal costs.

Not blood in my mouth but victory wine etc...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

BREAKING! Keith tells the truth

I wouldn't mind Labour being the party of business if it wasn't for the fact he means the big businesses, the multi nationals and super conglomerates. It wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't give a flying gently caress about the local sole trader.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Glad you're up and about crispix. Sorry to hear that about your mother Mebh, I hope they can do something for her.

It's disgusting to see what the NHS has become.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

Let's reword that sentence: it's disgusting to see what the NHS has been turned into. It is not the fault of the NHS that it is in the state it's in. It's the fault, and indeed the deliberate intent, of neoliberal scum who would rather see a million people die than have a thousand pounds less in their pocket.

What is really disgusting is the fact that there are people that will rub their hands with glee as they see that their decisions have damaged the NHS, costing lives, which could see it taken over by private businesses. They will be rewarded and not punished as they should be.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They're such loving scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been working in London all week. I was told that drivers in London are all mad but apart from one or two dickheads they've been really decent. Except the bikers/mopeds, they will just pull out in front of you. Although I wouldn't like to live in London it was nice to get some free time to walk around all the different interesting looking shops.

Also Piers Morgan should have been arrested and imprisoned in the U.S. I don't know why or what for, but i feel it in my bones that it's right.