Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

GTO posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about a fighter sincerely thanking his opponent for not killing him. When he's back on his homestead building a barn 3 days later.

Kind of feels like the gladiatorial combat has somehow become more Roman than it used to be.

i wish we learn enough about gladiators and poo poo to learn what their equivalent of a camouflaged waffle house hat would beo

god what a dogshit snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
the best nice fighter moment was Robbie Lawler fanboying over Carlos Condit after their fight.

goddamn that was such a good fight.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BlindSite posted:

I know the 2 African fighters living in America and the third living in NZ who held or were holding belts got angry with him when he said he wanted to be the first "true" African champion but has he actually said or done anything I missed that puts him up there with Strickland?

No it’s pretty much just the Afrikaner guy repeatedly dismissing the African identity of black people born in Africa, though he eventually walked it back a little and said that’s not what he meant (it absolutely was). Strickland is definitely way worse, but DDP wielding his colonial privilege as a bludgeon is still bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
So, no one else is having trouble reading DDP as Diamond Dallas Page or even Dustin Diamond Poirier.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i call him Racis du Plessis

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

i call him Racis du Plessis

I hope he wins the belt cause Strickland is annoying and it would set up some fun fights at MW.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

Fwiw the UFC does brief their fighters on stuff not to say and not to curse etc but Strickland is mad as a cut snake and he's going to do it anyway.

Dana undoubtedly doesn't care but he's motivated by money as much as anything so it would take the big wigs stepping in to stop it and realistically if they're making money the big wigs probably don't give a poo poo either.

Who knows maybe Strickland will have some kind of awakening or get his head punched in by Duplasse and he'll go away for a while.

ya. kinda curious how many days/months/years we are from someone doing the Strickland routine with the n-word or any other racial slur. gotta figure a second Trump term does it. still at this very moment I would like someone very much to ask Dana what his response would be if that was a racial slur instead of a homophobic one.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 20, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Before the weekend, I didn’t know where Shavkat was training. I was like, how does some dude from Kazakhstan have enough high quality training partners out there? But — there is one thing that might be the next greatest base for mma

https://www.threads.net/@lukethomasnews/post/C0vK8FnMD2-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/12...-as-an-opponent

Tyrone Woodley threatening us with having to sit through a Tyron Woodley mma fight

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

BlindSite posted:

I know the 2 African fighters living in America and the third living in NZ who held or were holding belts got angry with him when he said he wanted to be the first "true" African champion but has he actually said or done anything I missed that puts him up there with Strickland?

No it was mostly just bad optics until he told Sean I'm going to beat you like your dad did

cornlog
May 1, 2008
Nice fighter moment. Robbie Lawler being genuinely concerned and offering any support he could give Nick Diaz after their fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gustafson and triangle man phil Davis becoming best bros after they fought was pretty cool too in hindsight.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

was it gsp who tried to offer one of the diaz bros financial advice?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

ilmucche posted:

On a media call, he called Nick Diaz an “uneducated fool” and explained the concept of passive income and management to him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ilmucche posted:

It was a conference call and Nick complained he couldn't afford a house, GSP started yelling at him about passive income while Nick was screaming in the background

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If there's a link please link it I want to see this

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

"George getting his poo poo pampered."

I remember that because at one point George realises Nick is actually just kinda dumb and came from a poo poo home and has no idea what he's doing outside of a ring.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ilmucche posted:

If there's a link please link it I want to see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_As9sl78M

transcript
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-158-Conference-Call-Highlights-Nick-Diaz-Georges-St-Pierre-Go-Head-to-Head-50729

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 21, 2023

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Yeah, it’s early on in that clip. Pretty brutal poo poo from GSP, honestly.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Was that the same tour where Nick shot a slightly unhinged selfie video on his way to missing a presser / flight?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmao i remembered the Lodi quote, but forgot it was in the GSP presser

Nick Diaz posted:

Check this out, motherf-----. I pulled up to a stoplight the other day, and some f---ing 40-year-old lady, some soccer mom, sticks her head out the window and says, ‘I hope GSP beats your rear end.’ We’re in f---ing Lodi, b----. Are you serious? I’m living in a small town full of people who hate me over here. I’m trying to work my way up into a fight, and I’m the most disrespectful guy and deserve to have the s--- beat out of me?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My prevailing memory from all of that isn't even the pre-fight press, but the post-fight, where Diaz accused GSP of cheating and planting a spy in his camp because that's the only way he could have expected Diaz to roll for kneebars from the bottom.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I remember or maybe fever dreamed a clip of Nick diaz doing an interview or maybe a video in his car and yelling "gently caress your mother" at someone driving past

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I remember or maybe fever dreamed a clip of Nick diaz doing an interview or maybe a video in his car and yelling "gently caress your mother" at someone driving past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4EbRnFn0Tg&t=16s

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CarlCX posted:

My prevailing memory from all of that isn't even the pre-fight press, but the post-fight, where Diaz accused GSP of cheating and planting a spy in his camp because that's the only way he could have expected Diaz to roll for kneebars from the bottom.

And also GSP missed weight and drugged Nick, right?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Somehow "you uneducated fool" is more biting poo poo talk than anything Chael, Colby, or Conor have ever said

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
GSP joking about biting off Mayorga’s trashtalk-by-proxy was pretty funny too.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

delightful posted:

Somehow "you uneducated fool" is more biting poo poo talk than anything Chael, Colby, or Conor have ever said

Touch butt in the park is still my favorite poo poo talk but probably due to Conor having nothing to respond with.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"wolf tickets" is from much earlier in the gsp Diaz saga but it's basically a regular phrase for me now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

goodness this is art. both of them sound really angry but i think they don't actually want to be angry at each other

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, I guess we'll be hearing Strickland drop the N-word pretty soon so Dana can move that needle
https://twitter.com/LevAkabas/status/1737847538584269088

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:lol: at Theocratic Dissident Butcher Golf somehow skewing liberal

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, I guess we'll be hearing Strickland drop the N-word pretty soon so Dana can move that needle
https://twitter.com/LevAkabas/status/1737847538584269088

Enjoying that F1 is more conservative than NASCAR.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lucasar posted:

Enjoying that F1 is more conservative than NASCAR.

It costs like 100 aud for a hat from an f1 team and a day pass to the higher end suites are over 10k.

Thats old money sport right there

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm not going to say I've done any actual analysis on the veracity of that poll, but I am going to say any poll that says 50% of the audience for the WNBA identifies is conservative seems real off to me.

update: having now actually looked into it, that pollster is run by Mark "I Was Hillary Clinton's Poll Manager And Told Her She Would Win In A Blue-Texas Landslide And Then I Consulted For Donald Trump And Decried The Deep State Conspiracy To Depose Him" Penn, so

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 21, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

CarlCX posted:

I'm not going to say I've done any actual analysis on the veracity of that poll, but I am going to say any poll that says 50% of the audience for the WNBA identifies is conservative seems real off to me.

update: having now actually looked into it, that pollster is run by Mark "I Was Hillary Clinton's Poll Manager And Told Her She Would Win In A Blue-Texas Landslide And Then I Consulted For Donald Trump And Decried The Deep State Conspiracy To Depose Him" Penn, so

Formula 1 in the US swings very young as well because the core audience came from the Netflix reality show initially and sub30 America is definitely not 55% conservative

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Also only idiots respond to polls

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

GSP thought Diaz saying "motherfucker" was literal. He thought Diaz was literally saying that GSP fucks his own mom. That's why GSP was getting so angry.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man tomorrow's ONE card is gonna be so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1738035287236764153?s=20