Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite MMA story of 2023?
This poll is closed.
The fall of Valentina Shevchenko 3 7.14%
Tom Aspinall's comeback 1 2.38%
Francis Ngannou floors Tyson Fury 34 80.95%
actually boy that one was really great 1 2.38%
honestly you should probably vote for that one 1 2.38%
why are you still reading this 2 4.76%
Total: 42 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CarlCX posted:

If Maddalena knocks out Burns they will 100% say "well, Belal and Shavkat both have such great claims to a title shot the only answer is for them to fight each other" while they run Edwards/JDM in the UK.

Fortunately Burns is going to tie JDM into a nice little bow to put on the UFC’s plans before they get buried in the back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BlindSite posted:

I know the 2 African fighters living in America and the third living in NZ who held or were holding belts got angry with him when he said he wanted to be the first "true" African champion but has he actually said or done anything I missed that puts him up there with Strickland?

No it’s pretty much just the Afrikaner guy repeatedly dismissing the African identity of black people born in Africa, though he eventually walked it back a little and said that’s not what he meant (it absolutely was). Strickland is definitely way worse, but DDP wielding his colonial privilege as a bludgeon is still bad.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

Sterling at 145 means merab might finally be getting his shot after o’malley gets his vanity defense over chito

I'm convinced the UFC is going to make Merab go through Sandhagen first in the hopes he won't make it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Geoff Neal is one of my all time most disappointing fighters. He could be so good, but insists on headhunting the entire time every fight to the point where he's costing himself major matches. I knew he would lose to Magny despite being an overall better fighter at that point.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

My fighter of the year is Gaethje. He turned back a young lion in Fiziev with a gritty and eventually technical performance, and then showed that his evolution does work at the highest level when he crushed his longtime rival Poirer to avenge one of his most significant losses. That's as close as anyone has gotten to two outstanding wins without asterisks this year, and there's no one with three great wins. I feel like 2023 has had the least activity out of contenders in the years I've been watching.

Then, in order:

CarlCX posted:

* Patchy Mix: Dude murdered Raufeon Stots and Sergio Pettis in a single calendar year, come the gently caress on
* Shavkat Rakhmonov: FOTY candidate against Geoff Neal followed by totally dominating and becoming the first person to tap out Wonderboy
* Tom Aspinall: Comes back from his leg exploding without missing a beat, kills Tybura, rolls off the couch on a week's notice and kills a fully-trained Pavlovich in a minute

Others for the honorable mentions off two good wins include Erin Blanchfield, Arman Tsarukyan, and Max Holloway. My dark horse is Brandon Moreno, who was in two of the best fights of the year despite losing his title by split decision.

Strickland has to be mentioned, he has 3 wins and got the title in an upset, but two of those wins weren't great and the title felt like more a resolution on Adesanya than a heralding of the Strickland Era. Edwards would be in there if he put his foot on the gas more and broke Covington, but as funny as Covington losing in a poo poo fight was the fight was still poo poo. Pantoja vs. Royval was just a bit too sloppy between the gassing and the lack of TDD.

CarlCX posted:

If you stuck with all of the writeups/monthlies/etc. this year you read 300,000+ words, and for that, a) thank you, and b) I am sorry I took away the time you could have spent reading an actual book.

Better than most books I read this year, and if you wrote a combo of predictions and results I'd buy the book form.

quote:

so I wanted to see if there was any interest in 2024 participation in any of these:

A return of the old thread where we RNG-assigned old events to participating posters for retro reviews

I'd be interested in this, but with specific fights for technical analysis rather than event recaps/reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I’m the two lightweights fighting at 185 because steroids are legal now