Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Thread title is pretty self explanatory I think. I’ll go first.

Tonight I was eating pot stickers, which I love very very much. Fries or steamed. Whichever. It occurred to me as I was driving home that I probably never had them as a child because my idiot parents liked crab Rangoon and egg rolls better? Which is idiotic because pot stickers are objectively better. I also never really gave them any thought as a child, they were not some forbidden fruit to me. I just assumed they were probably gross based off their stupid name. Child me was a moron.

My review of Pot Stickers, untainted by nostalgia: 8.75 / 10

They are just the right size to not be an ordeal to eat compared to, say, an egg roll. If your egg roll is lovely then you are either wasting a pretty sizable item by not eating it, OR you’re choking down a huge piece of poo poo. If your pot sticker is bad, you’ve probably already eaten a large portion of it after one bite. One more bite isn’t a big deal even if it’s a bad one.

I’ll come back to add more of these and maybe even make a running list in the OP. If there are items you would like to discuss please do so…now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fuckin' stuffed-crust pizza

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My dad ordered that for us once and we all hated it lol. It was not warm or melty at all and was like only twenty seconds past just being string cheese. Good answer though

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I never had cheese whiz until I went to philadelphia as an adult and got a real cheese steak

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Thread title is pretty self explanatory I think. I’ll go first.

Tonight I was eating pot stickers, which I love very very much. Fries or steamed. Whichever. It occurred to me as I was driving home that I probably never had them as a child because my idiot parents liked crab Rangoon and egg rolls better? Which is idiotic because pot stickers are objectively better. I also never really gave them any thought as a child, they were not some forbidden fruit to me. I just assumed they were probably gross based off their stupid name. Child me was a moron.

My review of Pot Stickers, untainted by nostalgia: 8.75 / 10

They are just the right size to not be an ordeal to eat compared to, say, an egg roll. If your egg roll is lovely then you are either wasting a pretty sizable item by not eating it, OR you’re choking down a huge piece of poo poo. If your pot sticker is bad, you’ve probably already eaten a large portion of it after one bite. One more bite isn’t a big deal even if it’s a bad one.

I’ll come back to add more of these and maybe even make a running list in the OP. If there are items you would like to discuss please do so…now

I didn't know how delicious Lomo Saltado was until someone introduced it to me.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The only tacos, or Mexican food of any kind for that matter, I had as a kid were the hamburger meat Old El Paso kind. We didn’t even go to Taco Bell.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Same. And my mother grew up in San Diego and knew what good Mexican food was.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

My dad ordered that for us once and we all hated it lol. It was not warm or melty at all and was like only twenty seconds past just being string cheese. Good answer though

The funny thing is that when I tried stuffed crust pizza, it was TOO warm (seriously, I'm pretty sure I burned my tongue on it) and melty. You know how cheese on top of a pizza (normally anyway) is melty but not in a runny sort of way? The cheese in the stuffed crust wasn't as runny as Cheez Whiz or cheese dip or anything, but it still felt unnaturally structure-less.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Szyznyk posted:

The only tacos, or Mexican food of any kind for that matter, I had as a kid were the hamburger meat Old El Paso kind. We didn’t even go to Taco Bell.

same, I think it was those lovely school cafeteria burritos that put me off mexican food for my entire childhood, I didnt eat tb until I was already a man

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

halokiller posted:

same, I think it was those lovely school cafeteria burritos that put me off mexican food for my entire childhood, I didnt eat tb until I was already a man

So maybe sometime in the possible future?

(dammit I'm sorry it was right there, easy layup, I don't really mean it, lol)

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

So maybe sometime in the possible future?

(dammit I'm sorry it was right there, easy layup, I don't really mean it, lol)

You’re not a real man until the astonished Taco Bell employee sees you alone in your car and asks “Is this all for you?”

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Cookie Crisp: loving terrible cereal. Shout outs mom and pop for never buying this, it’s the worst. 1/10 because it is technically edible.

Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles: also horrible, gets soggy too fast with milk and you have to slam it too fast. Maybe if there was a spray on mist milk that you could apply to individual bites, these would be good. 3/10 because the actual cereal flavor is fine.

Cocoa Puffs: these are pretty good tbh. 7.5/10, flavor gets old fast

Reeses Puffs: 🔥 🔥 🔥 10/10, zero notes. Top three sugar nightmare cereal.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Those little soap orbs from Bath and Body Works.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Those little soap orbs from Bath and Body Works.

I think it's probably good that your parents never fed you "soap orbs" as the thread title says "food you never got to try as a child" lol. Is this a new joke I'm not "in on", am I missing something?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
... forbidden boba ...

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

My mom would never get me Sunny D as a kid and instead I had to have regular boring orange juice

To this day I don't actually know if Sunny D is actually even that much sweeter lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's disgusting. i'm glad i was never allowed to have it

----------------

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Sunny D tastes like fake orange juice in the worst possible way. Yeah it's sweeter but not enjoyably so imo. I can see some kids liking it since that was what it was marketed at (if your kids won't drink their juice, give them this swill, it has vitamin C and D in it or whatever), but yeah I was certainly never a fan.

It almost had a watered-down orange cough syrup taste, except I've probably had better tasting cough syrup. Maybe I'm just thinking that because it did this hard to describe "makes the back of your throat tickly and itchy" thing to me and had a weird filmy coating residue.

Luckily it was only one of those things I only had to rarely endure at friends houses or whatever.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Cookie Crisp: loving terrible cereal. Shout outs mom and pop for never buying this, it’s the worst. 1/10 because it is technically edible.

Agree 100% with this. The commercials were so enticing when I was a kid, and it was such a letdown when I finally did try it.

Vienetta. Looked so good on TV.

Almost any of my favorite foods as an adult, like sushi, Thai food, Vietnamese food, Indian food.

I would say O'Boisies and Pizzarias, but I did get to try them as a kid, and I just wanted to be sad for a minute about not getting to enjoy them as an adult. Although if I'm being honest, I'd probably be disappointed at how much they'd have been cheaped out on if they'd made it to still being produced today.

Sunny D was up there with Crossfire for how much the commercials hyped it up vs. how disappointing it was when I finally tried it/got to play it.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 7, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Sunny D is orange flavored slug mucus.

----------------

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

all that is true but man sometimes i just gotta have some. a random craving that hits me like wanting to eat fruity pebbles.

----------------

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Vienetta. Looked so good on TV.

This got brought back recently. I keep meaning to grab one, but every time I go to the store and wander through the ice cream aisle I forget to look for it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I read the Narnia books when I was really little and I think like most kids who did was semi obsessed with the idea of Turkish delight and how incredible it must be. Tried some years and years later and god drat what a mid treat. Maybe it slapped when you were eating unsalted potatoes in 1900s England or whatever but I guess the kid betraying the entire world to the literal devil for some busted rear end jelly candy was kind of The Point.

Citrus ones are okay, I guess. Maybe a 4/10. Rosewater gets a -1 out of ten. Truly awful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I read the Narnia books when I was really little and I think like most kids who did was semi obsessed with the idea of Turkish delight and how incredible it must be. Tried some years and years later and god drat what a mid treat. Maybe it slapped when you were eating unsalted potatoes in 1900s England or whatever but I guess the kid betraying the entire world to the literal devil for some busted rear end jelly candy was kind of The Point.

Citrus ones are okay, I guess. Maybe a 4/10. Rosewater gets a -1 out of ten. Truly awful.

depends on the kind you get. when i was in istanbul there were cheap kinds that were like a gummy bear dusted in powdered sugar and they were gross. the nicer kinds had the powdered sugar folded in to make kind of a puffy marshmallow thing with nuts in it. good turkish delight rules

rosewater sux tho

----------------

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yes, id like a pack of candy.. the ones that taste like grandmas dresser drawer please. Barf.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Never had Indian food as a child. Unclear on if my parents don’t like it or just didn’t think we’d like it. Indian food is a 10/10, the first time I had it I wanted to start crying.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I don't think I tasted mayo until I was an adult - my mom was a Miracle Whip disciple, I don't think my dad liked mayo either, in fact I'll guess he was the main reason we never had it.

I'm sure I never tasted garlic in any form except powdered until adulthood, same for a lot of things I guess. Growing up poor in rural Wisconsin with German-American parents who grew up on self-sustaining farms will do that I guess. Pork chops fried to hell and back in a cast iron pan, big bowl of mashed potatoes, and one can of peas warmed up for a family of 8, that kind of thing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

probably those fruit rollups every other kid had in their lunchbags

----------------

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Good answer though

asking people about their experience and then saying "Good answer though"

like there's a right answer

laughing my loving rear end off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

GateOfD posted:

probably those fruit rollups every other kid had in their lunchbags

iunno how my mom was on crusade against Red 40 in 1988 but she was

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

uber_stoat posted:

Sunny D is orange flavored slug mucus.

I feel like Sunny D's thickness & over-sweetness would make it a good mixer, but I'm not curious enough to try it

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It worked out really well for us as a substitute for OJ in cranberries this Thanksgiving.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Never had Indian food as a child. Unclear on if my parents don’t like it or just didn’t think we’d like it. Indian food is a 10/10, the first time I had it I wanted to start crying.

Same, I was in my mid/late 20s before I had it, along with Thai and actual good Chinese food. Still haven't had the chance to eat common favorite cuisines like Vietnamese, Ethiopian, or Korean beyond my flying-blind attempts at cooking it myself from internet recipes. Some parts of the country are ... very white.

----------------
ok

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Arch Deluxe.

AvesPKS posted:

Sunny D was up there with Crossfire for how much the commercials hyped it up vs. how disappointing it was when I finally tried it/got to play it.
It's such loving garbage

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Same with my family and it doesn't make sense, like the white people eat like white people, but the non-white members of my family have no excuse with some of the things that they were eating. A friend told me to wait until hanging out with them to try it ten years ago, but in truth we'll probably never manage to hang out again so I should just do it.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
Whole grilled/fried fish.

All my Asian friends tweak when I tell them I didn't eat a whole fish until I was in my 20s.

Wasn't on the coast, wasn't great, and was expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
As a kid, unless you live next to a body of water, fish often just means fish sticks or canned tuna (or worse, canned salmon :barf:) which will put you off the idea of trying any other preparation later on. Only after eating lake fish like walleye did I gain a real appreciation for it. Real salmon is delicious compared to the canned crap.

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea