Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Earwicker posted:

why do you think those people don't get that? glasgow specifically is too small to be a gta map by itself but it and lots of other parts of the uk are well suited to all kinds of crime dramas and would also work well in a gta game. a uk-based map would be great, the london games were a lot of fun in the old school gta games.

You've never talked to someone who sincerely wants a GTA based around their own town? I agree that a UK based one could work, but because there's a significant amount of UK crime cinema and culture to draw from. Without that, people are just asking for MySchool.wad on a larger scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

sex excellence posted:

just needs NFT integration and I'll be happy

Niko, Franklin, and Tommy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

You've never talked to someone who sincerely wants a GTA based around their own town? I agree that a UK based one could work, but because there's a significant amount of UK crime cinema and culture to draw from. Without that, people are just asking for MySchool.wad on a larger scale.

i thought you were talking about people bringing up Glasgow, not people who just want their hometown. Glasgow would be a good setting, as far as the whole crime cinema and culture angle goes anyway. it would just need to incorporate a much larger area for a game of GTA's length. like if you threw in Edinburgh for a constrasting tone and some of the landscape in between, maybe a a bit of the highlands for some moody outdoor stuff, that'd be enough. I'd buy that.

maybe you should have mentioned some boring midwestern suburb if that was your point!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 12, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Someone with math work out how much bigger a 1:1 Glasgow would be relative to the map from V

(it is not overall area that determines the fun of the map, rather how tight together the interesting landmarks are while only seeming far away)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dokapon Findom posted:

Someone with math work out how much bigger a 1:1 Glasgow would be relative to the map from V

(it is not overall area that determines the fun of the map, rather how tight together the interesting landmarks are while only seeming far away)

i think the maps are better when only one area of it is city and there's some surrounding open landscape, gives more opportunity for different vehicle types and activities etc

Forza Horizon 4 is basically a chunk of Scotland and northern England, the main city is Edinburgh instead of Glasgow, but other than that it'd probably be a somewhat similar map and it's pretty easy to imagine that gameworld stocked up with GTA style activities

there was already a GTA in London and it was great but it was the old top-down style of GTA. really good music tho.

the last open world London game I played was Watch Dogs 3, which I thought was boring af. part of that was because the map is fully city with no breaks or other kinds of landscape, and a very limited pool of vehicles. part of that is just because its a boring game built around a silly gimmick with an uninteresting story.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 12, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Earwicker posted:

i thought you were talking about people bringing up Glasgow, not people who just want their hometown. Glasgow would be a good setting, as far as the whole crime cinema and culture angle goes anyway. it would just need to incorporate a much larger area for a game of GTA's length. like if you threw in Edinburgh for a constrasting tone and some of the landscape in between, maybe a a bit of the highlands for some moody outdoor stuff, that'd be enough. I'd buy that.

maybe you should have mentioned some boring midwestern suburb if that was your point!

Ah, sorry, I just pulled Glasgow as somewhere fairly close by without doxing myself that popped into my head - it does have a rich crime folklore and even a few films, so yeah, that was a piss-poor example from me! Apologies!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i want gta:fife

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Too grim and dark, leave it for the Manhunt reboot.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
GTA: Shetland Islands

Steal a quadbike!
Steal a rowboat!
Steal a puffin
Accept a mission to assassinate fish from the puffin you stole
feed the fish to the puffin

puffin friend!!

bonus for Rockstar: there's already a town village hamlet called Twatt

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
gta but you're all toddlers in a miniature play town with plastic cars and toy uniforms

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GTA with tits, cars and guns!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
gta but you're a horse

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
GTA but we finally get to play as Grant The Ftauto

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
GTA on the citadel from Mass Effect and its fuckin huge

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

GTA but cars have been banned by the authoritarian big brother government and you have to get around on foot or rail

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’d like to see Niko in Florida.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I’d like to see Niko in Florida.

He’d go to the Serbian Orthodox Church in North Port and work in a donut shop.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Earwicker posted:

steal the Nemesis system from the Mordor games and apply it to the cops in GTA. individual cops have vendettas against you and try to track you down, you can humiliate them and make them lose ranks, steal their souls to boost your own hp, or convert them into mindslaves and build your own mini army, with which you can eventually besiege the city.

The Nemesis system is literally copyrighted so gently caress you WB Games.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Fat, bald and washed up Love Fist.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
GTA: Giant desert map

Just a massive, massive flat desert map.

You start off with your car broken down on a small dirt road in the middle of the desert. There is only a 1/1000 chance another car will come along before you die of dehydration in 18 in game hours.

There are desert mice you can punch if you want. Like if your just a real rear end in a top hat. Like what did the cute little desert mouse do to you!

But yeah just think of the satisfaction after all that waiting and so many unavoidable death when you manage to steal your first car!!!!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Scam Likely posted:

The Nemesis system is literally copyrighted so gently caress you WB Games.

rockstar has more than enough money to rip it off and pay a bunch of lawyers to deal with it

dr_rat posted:

GTA: Giant desert map

Just a massive, massive flat desert map.

thats basically the Mad Max game that came out in 2015. it was alright. fun physics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you know what would be sick actualy is a modern remake of Interstate 76

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Earwicker posted:

you know what would be sick actualy is a modern remake of Interstate 76

try and keep that janky mechwarrior 2 engine poo poo on lock and im with you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grand theft auto works because aside from the fact that it’s fun to shoot and race cars. it’s a bunch of Scottish people making fun of America and the America they see on tv and have shoved down their own throats from American culture. It’s why every loving game is about the American dream and getting rich as hell no matter what

The non-Americans recognize it because it’s the America they see on tv. The Americans see it as funny parody.

A game in Scotland is not going to hit the same. You think it’s be better because it’s local and there’s Scottish crime movies but that’s the problem imo. it’s going to get too local. There’s going to be plot points about how bad the traffic is on the m8 and the terrible schedules of particular train lines. The characters are going to wax on about local specialties you can find ducking anywhere.

It’s going to be like when New York writers on talk shows just start going on about about bodegas and the f train and how going to Brooklyn from Manhattan is so far but for the entire loving game

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 13, 2023

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
GTA, but everything is in a space station the size of a small city.

Grand Theft Atmosphere

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Earwicker posted:

steal the Nemesis system from the Mordor games and apply it to the cops in GTA. individual cops have vendettas against you and try to track you down, you can humiliate them and make them lose ranks, steal their souls to boost your own hp, or convert them into mindslaves and build your own mini army, with which you can eventually besiege the city.

They can't. As I understand it, there is, legit, some really strong legal protections on that system. Ones with real teeth that are really hard to skirt. It's why the rest of the gaming industry didn't steal the poo poo out of this genuinely cool system from a pretty middling game. There are a few really half-hearted knockoffs, but nobody can do anything that truly resembles it.

Too bad Monolith hasn't made a new game in ages.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Some kind of techno punk future game with really bad driving mechanics.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
they should release gta 4 on android imo

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

They can't. As I understand it, there is, legit, some really strong legal protections on that system. Ones with real teeth that are really hard to skirt. It's why the rest of the gaming industry didn't steal the poo poo out of this genuinely cool system from a pretty middling game. There are a few really half-hearted knockoffs, but nobody can do anything that truly resembles it.

wait, for real?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Do not challenge the Nemesis.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Blasto 6 Partners in Crime the video game.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I'm Grey Cat, and this is my favorite GTA map on the citadel.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Too bad Monolith hasn't made a new game in ages.

Warframe pretty much stole it and seems to be fine?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Political sidequests where you can take part in democratic elections to change gently caress all

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Alchemist posted:

Political sidequests where you can take part in democratic elections to change gently caress all

Are you in the Cuban Republican “Give me back my family’s sugar plantation!”’ part of the map or the Buffalo transplant Republican “I hate Covid lockdowns, taxes, and brown people.” part of the map?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

escapegoat posted:

Fat, bald and washed up Love Fist.

One of the musicians who played in that band got my friend pregnant and then kind of disappeared. The drummer gives lessons near me and seems like a decent dude.

I do remember that they tried to tour as Love Fist, but Rockstar wouldn't let them, so they became a Darkness tribute act instead (and I believe played some Lovefist there).

LaughchainGoesBrr
Dec 13, 2023

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

All vehicles must tow caravans.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
@PeterMolydeux in character as creative director

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want GTA but with super powers.
Not Saints Row 4 or Crackdown or Prototype.
Something different.

I refuse to elaborate.