Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm imagining a backstory right now iykwim.

ill simultaneously imagine the frontstory. thats called an eiffel tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Buttchocks posted:

Is that a gas light on the wall?

A lot of old gas light fixtures were converted to electric and the ones that didn't explode might have lasted, so the fixture might be!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I bet they all kiss at night

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Buttchocks posted:

There’s no gas light there, you’re seeing things.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The one sitting in the floor must be a real slut if she has Sig Nu letters on

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
The woman on the left married a state senator and was well known for the society parties she hosted and for mixing a mean cocktail. She’s somewhat well known today amongst JFK conspiracy theorists since one of her close friends was named in the Warren Report.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The photo was posted on reddit and evidently there was a description "World War two Austin The fab five: Bettye Hughes Peters (SECOND FROM LEFT) horses around with her Tri Delta sorority sisters in a UT Austin dorm room, circa 1944. Photo donated by Bettye Hughes Peters family." Bettye died in 2007, here's her obit

Also, someone colorized it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Regulators
We regulate any stealing of her property
We're drat good too
but you can't be any geek off the street
gotta be handy with the steel, if you know what i mean
earn your keep
Regulators, mount up!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ground zero for the baby boomers.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The blonde one just farted, the one in the middle is in the midst of realising, the one in white is already beginning to recoil, and the two brunettes (who are sisters) have been captured in their last fleeting moments of blissful ignorance.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Probably super racist, though, so

Not true. The lady sitting on the floor married Lloyd Withers, an African American, and was a keen supporter of civil rights in Texas in the 1950s.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Not true. The lady sitting on the floor married Lloyd Withers, an African American, and was a keen supporter of civil rights in Texas in the 1950s.

Well there you go!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

The photo was posted on reddit and evidently there was a description [i]"World War two Austin The fab five: Bettye Hughes Peters (SECOND FROM LEFT) horses around with her Tri Delta sorority sisters in a UT Austin dorm room, circa 1944.

That's nonsense. The second from left isn't the one holding a horse!!!!!!!!!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Time_pants posted:

I don't know, but they seem awesome.

Probably super racist, though, so

1945 was an era when (at least) one of the student spirit groups did minstrel shows in blackface. So, yeah, probably racist. Most of the racism at UT comes from the greek orgs, and probably about half of that comes from the Pike house alone.

Texas is a pretty liberal school now but it only really started going that way in the 90's. It was SUPER conservative and more than a bit racist before that. Our 13th university president was T. S. Painter, who y'all might remember being on the wrong end of a landmark US Supreme Court case about racism in public schools; the building we named after him didn't get renamed until after George Floyd. We also used to have a dorm named after a KKK leader (which was the black dorm during segregation btw), and one of our most celebrated football coaches had Klan robes with his name on them; it's still debated whether he was actually *in* the Klan or not (apparently the KKK used to just give those out to high-ranking people in the community).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 4, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vampire Panties posted:

Regulators
We regulate any stealing of her property
We're drat good too
but you can't be any geek off the street
gotta be handy with the steel, if you know what i mean
earn your keep
Regulators, mount up!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Darth Brooks posted:

The photo was posted on reddit and evidently there was a description "World War two Austin The fab five: Bettye Hughes Peters (SECOND FROM LEFT) horses around with her Tri Delta sorority sisters in a UT Austin dorm room, circa 1944. Photo donated by Bettye Hughes Peters family." Bettye died in 2007, here's her obit

Also, someone colorized it.

I like how the girl on the floor looks like she's wearing a Sigma Nu shirt, which is funny since Sigma Nu has practically no presence on campus anymore and hasn't for at least 2 or 3 decades.

Hell, the Tri-Delts are a pretty mid-rank sorority themselves. The ZTAs and Chi-Os and even Pi Beta Phi have them beat in terms of visibility.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lady on the floor looks like she knows how to party.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Tnuctip posted:

Lady on the floor looks like she knows how to party.

kinda in love with her

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Just casually ashing your cigarette on the comforter, and smoke detectors wont be invented for another 75 years

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

god colourisation always looks like poo poo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Illyana Rasputin uses her powers to travel back in time with Kitty Pryde and Rogue to photobomb two sorority girls.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Illyana Rasputin uses her powers to travel back in time with Kitty Pryde and Rogue to photobomb two sorority girls.

:hai:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Buttchocks posted:

Probably. Texas is a big natural gas state, and the Tri-Delt house at UT is certainly old enough to have them.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Probably. Texas is a big natural gas state, and the Tri-Delt house at UT is certainly old enough to have them.

lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The one in the middle in the back. That's my wife in 1945.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The one on the right looks so wholesome :3:

Also, I thought the one in the middle was holding an actual, live kitten

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I like old photos like this. It's fun to see the styles they wore and the hair. Love when there's a car in the background too.
Here's one of my grandparents and aunt and a neighborhood kid from about the same time. They lived in Washington DC at the time because my grandad was in the army. He was part of the Signal Corps.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Not a fatty in sight. What a time to be alive.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Caesar Saladin posted:

god colourisation always looks like poo poo

If the color process is anything like what they used in that one X-Files episode, they basically tell a computer what color one or two or three items in the photo are, and the computer uses that to guess what colors everything else is. It doesn't always get them exactly right and they're always oversaturated as hell cuz the computer isn't so good at stuff like shadow and grayscale. Also the items it gets told what to color are based on peoples' memories, and this photo is from the mid-40s and all of these women were old as poo poo when it got colorized.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Golly gee, peep them gams!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I. M. Gei posted:

If the color process is anything like what they used in that one X-Files episode, they basically tell a computer what color one or two or three items in the photo are, and the computer uses that to guess what colors everything else is. It doesn't always get them exactly right and they're always oversaturated as hell cuz the computer isn't so good at stuff like shadow and grayscale. Also the items it gets told what to color are based on peoples' memories, and this photo is from the mid-40s and all of these women were old as poo poo when it got colorized.

It was probably colorized by someone in Photoshop (I think). Someone else took a take at it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colorization/comments/bv8k3b/sorority_sisters_trideltas_university_of_texas/

It's interesting to compare the two. I think the blonde in the back and girl on the right are better in this one and the other three are better in the first colorization.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Well there you go!

Like all my posts in this thread, I am making up fun little stories based on what each woman looks like.

Which is why the second lady on the left tried to make it as a cabaret singer but unfortunately never got her lucky break and ultimately married a vacuum cleaner salesman from Idaho. She always organised a sing along at family gatherings though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

But with sexy racism

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

flubber nuts posted:

ill simultaneously imagine the frontstory. thats called an eiffel tower.

:hfive:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

They all voted for Trump and have million dollar houses in Austin they paid low 5 figures for 40 years ago

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Please don't just assume my 1945 wife is racist because she was in a Texas sorority in 1945. You don't even know her.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

OP I sent you this picture of me in confidence, please take this down

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Darth Brooks posted:

It was probably colorized by someone in Photoshop (I think). Someone else took a take at it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Colorization/comments/bv8k3b/sorority_sisters_trideltas_university_of_texas/

It's interesting to compare the two. I think the blonde in the back and girl on the right are better in this one and the other three are better in the first colorization.

Just leave it black and white, it looked fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't mind colorization sometimes but needing it is the most insane poo poo in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Some nice guy carried a mimeograph up 5 flights of stairs for one of these ladies and she never telegrammed him back.