Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Time_pants posted:

I don't know, but they seem awesome.

Probably super racist, though, so

1945 was an era when (at least) one of the student spirit groups did minstrel shows in blackface. So, yeah, probably racist. Most of the racism at UT comes from the greek orgs, and probably about half of that comes from the Pike house alone.

Texas is a pretty liberal school now but it only really started going that way in the 90's. It was SUPER conservative and more than a bit racist before that. Our 13th university president was T. S. Painter, who y'all might remember being on the wrong end of a landmark US Supreme Court case about racism in public schools; the building we named after him didn't get renamed until after George Floyd. We also used to have a dorm named after a KKK leader (which was the black dorm during segregation btw), and one of our most celebrated football coaches had Klan robes with his name on them; it's still debated whether he was actually *in* the Klan or not (apparently the KKK used to just give those out to high-ranking people in the community).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vampire Panties posted:

Regulators
We regulate any stealing of her property
We're drat good too
but you can't be any geek off the street
gotta be handy with the steel, if you know what i mean
earn your keep
Regulators, mount up!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Darth Brooks posted:

The photo was posted on reddit and evidently there was a description "World War two Austin The fab five: Bettye Hughes Peters (SECOND FROM LEFT) horses around with her Tri Delta sorority sisters in a UT Austin dorm room, circa 1944. Photo donated by Bettye Hughes Peters family." Bettye died in 2007, here's her obit

Also, someone colorized it.

I like how the girl on the floor looks like she's wearing a Sigma Nu shirt, which is funny since Sigma Nu has practically no presence on campus anymore and hasn't for at least 2 or 3 decades.

Hell, the Tri-Delts are a pretty mid-rank sorority themselves. The ZTAs and Chi-Os and even Pi Beta Phi have them beat in terms of visibility.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Buttchocks posted:

Is that a gas light on the wall?

Probably. Texas is a big natural gas state, and the Tri-Delt house at UT is certainly old enough to have them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Caesar Saladin posted:

god colourisation always looks like poo poo

If the color process is anything like what they used in that one X-Files episode, they basically tell a computer what color one or two or three items in the photo are, and the computer uses that to guess what colors everything else is. It doesn't always get them exactly right and they're always oversaturated as hell cuz the computer isn't so good at stuff like shadow and grayscale. Also the items it gets told what to color are based on peoples' memories, and this photo is from the mid-40s and all of these women were old as poo poo when it got colorized.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 4, 2023