Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OK if you made me make a list of games I like and would make my 2024 goty, based entirely on stuff I've played in 2024, here it is:

- baldur's gate 3 (very impressive so far)
- trails from zero (i like talking to 500000000 jrpg npcs)
- total annihilation (wrote about this in the steam thread, game good despite being an rts from the 1990s)
- magic the gathering arena (very chill deckbuilder that I play a few matches of daily, fun)
- king arthur knight's tale (rpg xcom w/ darkest dungeon structure and cool grimdark king arthur undead lore)
- elden ring (hard but satisfying combat)
- banished vault (fun math homework in religious space horror)
- half life 2 (playing for the first time, incredibly tight game design but it has too many explosive barrels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just wanna say the match thing is neat and I'm already prepping my top 50 for 2024 to give you more data to work with.

I assume it has a limitation that it only looks at top ten because I've played everything in my recommendations except for number one of 2023: BG3.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I've started cobbling things together on the command line but I couldn't push it past a toy phase. Django being ancient and super reliable is very helpful for someone just starting out as I can avoid some costly mistakes upfront, and fix the small mistakes as I learn more.

It's really interesting seeing all the various ways how people approach their backlog, from just a vague pressure in the back of their mind to obsessively categorizing everything in a spreadsheet and everything in between.

Yeah, I'm the opposite, very at home writing/using command line stuff but trying to build a non-toy web app leaves me scared and confused.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this thread got even better on the road to 69

:hellyeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thanks again veegy for all the dedication and jolly spirit

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

roomtwofifteen posted:

Lol played and loved all of these *except* FFXIV, which friends have been trying to get me to play for ages. I'm sure I'd love the story and world, I just can't get over MMO gameplay and monthly fees. I feel old because of it.

Just a word of warning about FF14: I know it gets gushed about a lot here but it is, in my experience, very much an "it only starts getting good after 50 hours" kind of game. I played for 50 hours, it started getting good, and then I put it down with no intention to ever play it again. Obviously this wasn't everyone's experience but I feel like all of the positivity in this thread unmitigated by criticism could mislead a few people.
I think if you had some friends to play it with, that would change things tremendously. Though if you're going solo, it's true that the FF14 community really is nice and helpful.

a lot of people posted:

far too much effort

I think it's impressive that y'all are using scripts and spreadsheets and such, but I've been using just a regular Notepad doc to keep track of things and it works great!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

haveblue posted:

Bolo
Myst
Escape Velocity

Oh you better believe I've got Escape Velocity on there

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, I'm gonna go the "rank every drat game I play this year" route so I can feed the machine.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Helping to get to the funny number on mobile!

The countdown was incredible and I'm already compiling my data for next year. Currently it's a sticky note that says "tiny rogues good, omg ff7 rebirth is next month gently caress", but I'm already looking at some of my backlog and wishlisted upcoming and going "oh gently caress".

Games that'll be on the list barring catastrophic fuckery:
FF7 Rebirth
Tiny Rogues
At least one Yakuza/LAD game, probably infinite wealth tbh
Unicorn Overlord
Octopath 2
Pentiment
Balatro

Playing these too probably
C-word of the Golden Idol
Obra Dinn
Papers Please (lmao)
BG3
AC6
A bunch of bullet heavens and rogue likes

... Man I'm exhausted just looking at this list and I know I'm missing obvious ones. 2024 going to go hard, apparently.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s « case »

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Creature from the Golden Isle

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

still going back and re-reading lists to plump up my wishlist. what a thread, geez

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I need to hold off on buying games & save a little better until the new Like a Yakuza

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All right goons just one more push to hit our target, get those posting fingers ready! And then we will be laying 90% of you off so we can spruce our Q4 financials

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

It’s « case »

Yeah I didn't want to risk losing my post because my phone is rear end, plus I thought the "c-word" joke was funny.

Also I've already went "poo poo forgot about that one" for like five more games, so my dance card is going to be full as hell this year, hopefully.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
69 lmbo

:Edit: dammit

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to bed so y'all better get to 69 by the time I wake up

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i proudly volunteer for a layoff after such glorious character-building crunch. my wife and children will understand that posting on the street is actually gamer bushido. my compounding heritage of hard knocks will be a living testament to the parent company's lacquer of morality.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jay Rust posted:

It’s « case »

everyone knows by now right? there couldnt possibly be anyone saying the wrong title

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

I'm going to bed so y'all better get to 69 by the time I wake up

Oof, this won't bode well for the dedication score on your next performance review

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oof, this won't bode well for the dedication score on your next performance review

This is bullying I'm contacting HR

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We have to wait another year for the next thread :negative:

Guess I'll just play video games in the meantime. Fine. GOD! :mad:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
more like fridged corn

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

whoa

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:corn:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Let's play some video games this year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
darn

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nearly there

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Playing Tears of the Kingdom right now, shockingly not regretting the $140 I had to spend for the game+pro controller.

Will be on my 2024 list for sure :hehe:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm helping good luck

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Microcline posted:

Runa
Your closest match is Zaggitz based on a shared interest in: Astlibra Revision, Judgment, The Great Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Final Fantasy XIV, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring
Your top 5 recommendations are: Pentiment, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Hades

Interesting! And I'll confess three of the games in my top 5 recommends are on my radar from multiple people recommending them. The other two I've actually already played and love, so I can't say the recommendations are necessarily wrong. (YLAD was actually my No.1 pick in 2020)

A bit of namesearching meant that people getting matched with me meant the data recommended Monster Roadtrip to them which both is both very funny but also I will take it as a segue to me just recommending it in general.

I'm just going quote myself for it

Runa posted:

2 - Monster Camp 3: Monster Roadtrip -
This is a time loop and we're all going to die. Of fun!

The third and most recent release of the well known cult classic partygame+VN wombo combo franchise by the Barcelona-based developers Beautiful Glitch. I really only got into this series this year and while the first game's cast was the best by a long shot, the second game had funnier events and more robust ways to mess around, mechanically. Unfortunately, again, the first game had a much funnier and more charming cast of romanceable monsters, so for the third game Beautiful Glitch decided to split the difference. With the cast of both 1 and 2, and a completely new stat system and end goal, Monster Roadtrip is a huge and winding misadventure I loved replaying every few nights. Again, with friends!

Monster Roadtrip has so much content and so much art that it makes the setting feel more alive, which amuses me as the Monster Realm pretty much just started as a surreal parody of modern America. And it still is, mind you, but there's also just so much of it that it's become a fun little hell-country to revisit time and again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nixty-sine

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cine

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

sick
stee