Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Okay time to do mine. I swear I must buy five games a month and then play only the same three games I've been playing for years. Also apparently I really like Pokemon, what a shocker

Some obvious entries like Baldur's Gate 3 aren't in my list just because I haven't really played them enough yet. Notable near-misses: Monster Hunter Stories, Pokemon Island, BG3, Mount and Blade II, Crusader Kings 3, Rimworld, Papa's Freezeria, Suika Game, Vampire Survivors, Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I still play Animal Crossing for about 20 minutes every single day and have done since it released.

10) Opus Magnum
It's just - it's just so fun. Solving the little puzzles. It's just so good. You feel like a genius and an idiot simultaneously.
This *cannot* be the best way of solving this level but it's mine, dammit, and I love it.

9) Age of Wonders 4
The ability to create a custom faction to your specifications and then roleplay hard makes this strategy / 4X / RPG a huge hit for me. My race of grumpy bird-people will rule the world under the iron claw of my dragon empress, and no amount of other races telling me I'm being 'evil' is going to make me feel bad.

8) American Truck Simulator
Listen if there's another game that can fulfil my Long Distance Clara ambitions from childhood, tell me about it. Else I'm gonna keep playing this.
Long Distance Clara shifts the gears. Long Distance Clara, she safely steers.

7) Elden Ring
Like everyone else I am still bonkers for Elden Ring. 2024 is going to be the year I complete a run, dammit.

6) Erranorth Chronicles
This RPG / deckbuilder is a mess. It's a huge, sprawling, ridiculous mess and I completely adore it. You can make any kind of character you can think of, and have cards that feel thematic and appropriate, and go beat up bandits and do quests across an open world. You do not need to have system mastery to enjoy this. Just imagination and an appreciation for being able to find silly combos.

5) Path of Exile
Listen, I've only ever made it to the 'real game', maps, twice. I load this up once a league, start five different builds, play till I'm bored, then drop it. But I keep going back to do this and as a result it's one of the most reliable workhorses in my Steam library. I can always, always pass a happy couple of hours in Path of Exile. And it's genuinely free - the only DLCs are cosmetics, or stash upgrades, and you don't need stash upgrades until you're deep, deep in the rabbithole. Apparently plays amazing on the Deck too.

4) Siralim Ultimate
This strategy / team-building / creature collection game is as deep as the ocean. The campaign is genuinely just the tutorial. If this game grabs you in its presentation and gameplay then it will have you forever. You'll keep thinking you have a handle on it and then uncover a whole new layer of customisation. Beware: this has its own cloud service and does NOT use Steam Cloud. Ask me how I know, new-PC-didn't-upload-to-the-Siralim-cloud. It's a near-perfect Deck game.

3) Pokemon Infinite Fusion
The best fangame just keeps getting better and better. More Pokemon now, more custom fusion sprites. Fun and hilarious and adds a whole new aspect to the Pokemon universe. It's free and not a romhack, a standalone fangame! Give it a download if it seems even slightly interesting.

2) Coromon
This is the best of the Pokemon clones I've tried so far. The creatures are endearing and interesting. I love the addition of a sort of 'medium shiny' called Potent - I don't really love that shininess is tied to better stats. But just having a semi-rare colour variant to search for rather than having to roll the long-odds shiny dice has meant I've spent hours just running around looking for potents. Genuinely worth a shot if you're into Pokemon.

1) Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.
The addition of DLC to add in even more of the old Pokemon has kept this fresh and fun for me. The technical issues can't be denied, but they also can't quite ruin the experience. This is the first generation where I bought both versions just to play through the slightly-altered story again. Absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Siralim really is a comfy Deck game, and I haven't played another mon game that feels as good to build your team in. I'm looking forward to how it opens up after the campaign.

I hadn't heard of Coromon before, definitely interested after looking around; it's half off ($10) on Steam so I plan to nab it before it goes off sale. It just looks so charming!

It *is* charming! The little creatures do a Pokemon-anime version of their names as their little cries when you send them out. :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like Monster Sanctuary a lot but the party-based fighting, and the fact you aren't guaranteed a capture, makes it feel less Pokemon to me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

jusion posted:

10. World of Warcraft / Classic / Season of Discovery / Hardcore
9. Diablo 4
8. Yakuza 0
7. Overwatch 2
6. Hi-Fi Rush
5. Dave the Diver
4. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
1. Baldur's Gate 3

If you want these votes counted you need to write a sentence or two about the top five entries!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bought those Alwa games someone was talking about! Assuming that was this thread. I'm quite tired. They're on deep sale though!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/549260/Alwas_Awakening/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Godspeed, Belgian Waffle

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
Here we are, the first best thing to come out of gaming in 2023! I don't think I can add much to everything that has already been said about this game, it's incredible that Larian pulled it off. BG1 & 2 were two of my favourite games, and this game reminded me of why I fell in love with games in the first place, years ago. If it wasn't for the fact there's so many things to play piled up in my backlog, I'd have immediately started a new run after rolling credits on my first run. Also contributed to one of my favourite videos on the internet this year being made - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjlYFWLUDBQ bard 4 lyfe

I had not seen this video before and now I can't stop watching it. Thank you for this gift.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Seeing people discover games, and discovering games myself, is such a goddamn joy. This thread rules.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If Street Fighter 6 is really a game that can get People Who Cannot Play Fighting Games into fighting games, I might have to get it. The last time I had fun with a fighting game was probably the original Street Fighter. I liked Blanka.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Blanka wasn't in the original Street Fighter. But nobody actually played the first one so who cares.

eh yeah I played it on, I dunno, Genesis? I forget which one it actually was, couldn't be bothered to look it up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks for your list Strix, shame you didn't go into a bit more detail

...I am wishlisting many things.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

fez_machine posted:

RPG Time: The Legend of Wright
I didn't play this enough to have a real opinion but it's an old school RPG heavily themed as played after school in a middle schooler's notebook.
Seriously check this out, it's gorgeous:

OMG I love this so much! Straight on the wishlist, thank you! What a good list.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo that Idris Elba track from Cyberpunk is fantastic. I think I knew he was a musician but I didn't know he was that good. What a first song to hear this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AreV6l8e83g

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I loved this song, from Bramble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5py8d0pfCVM

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I found it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

For my special list I present Top 10 Things VideoGames Said While Streaming In 2023. We only started compiling a spreadsheet of his quotes towards the end of the year, but even in that short space of time there were some real classics:

10. “You can’t be on the phone if you’re dead.”

09. “Wait, are the Yiga Clan friends with Ganon?”

08. “Am I stuck? No, I just couldn’t move.”

07. “It’s not the journey, but, uh, the, um, off-ramp.”

06. “I like the word ‘question mark’. Actually it’s two words. I like the two words ‘question marks’.”

05. “I hit him with lightning, and then I do attacks on him, and then he discharges all over me.”

04. “22 is more than 20, isn’t it? Let me think. 20…..plus 1, plus 2, is 22.”

03. “I don’t wanna be gimp bones!”

02. “Y’s not a vowel! A, O, U, I…….and something.”

01. “You can’t hurt hot with hot. Spikes no to plasma.”

Thank you to veeg for running the thread solo this year and also for his streams being a consistent highlight of my week for over three years now. Also hey why not check out the veeg stream highlight videos I made here and here!

These highlight videos are wonderful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dang I didn't know the music in Misericorde was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyTIh2NZ9k

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Two nuns are driving down a road at night when suddenly Dracula leaps out in front of them.
Sister Agatha says, "Quick, Sister Patricia, show him your cross!"
Sister Patricia leans out of the window and shouts "GET OUT OF THE loving ROAD!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Hahah someone told me it was! :sheepish: I will still give it a try :)

Yesss give it a try! You don't have to understand everything that's happening to play and have a good time! Do not be intimidated away, just take a swing at it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've never Fired an Emblem, I should try one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I had some crisps :)

Probably the wrong kind of Monster Munch, I know what you're like

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I have no problem with people liking it. I have a problem with people pretending like I am crazy for pointing out something super obvious that is 100% true just because they like a game. I don't know why finding something off putting for being very derivative is such a hot take around here.

I really don't appreciate this bullshit at all. You are a mod and should post better than this. You can just ignore me and let me have an opinion instead of trying to poke the nest repeatedly with smug dismissive garbage like this. I wasn't even trying to start any srt of argument and you are just trying to make things worse. How about not doing that, eh?

Stop this now. Abandon this argument. Stop trying to make your point. Hush.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everyone else stop engaging with veni please. Clear the decks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The only reason I've hesitated to get Cyberpunk is that what I've heard of the main story is really cynical and depressing and I much prefer 'the world sucks but people don't necessarily' stories about hope. If there's more of that than I thought then the game is definitely back on my list.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fantastic news about Cyberpunk. Back on the list. Thanks friends

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

To an extent it is. One of the core themes about Cyberpunk (Pondsmith's game, not necessarily in general) it that you're a small fry who can't make the world better. You can, and should, make a difference at a small scale - friends, family, and other loved ones. And those smaller relationships shine in CP2077.

*perfect*

I'm going to get it and play it!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Making me regret not getting Phantom Liberty, I only have the base cyberpunk game...

It's your fault I'm considering paying fifty quid for Age Of Fear: Total

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank you chief!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You guessed the top 5 perfectly! You should get a badge.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VideoGames posted:

for getting all the top five correct. Apologies there were no quotes.

:3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I played Strange Horticulture a couple years back and I thought it was great, perfect chill little rainy day game. :)

I agree, it's absolutely lovely and I think I'll play it again. Don't play it when already sleepy though or it's a ticket to dreamland.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Three people voted this thread a 1. Only 22 people voted at all! I never remember it's a function that exists to be honest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Are people really upset that they didn't get quoted enough in that huge amount of work VG just did? Come on, he obviously tried to include everyone. Don't take it as a slight, folks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

broken pixel posted:

The list always slaps, and this year, I'm immortalized for my folly of purchasing a PS5 just to play Final Fantasy games. I deserve that and will mention it again next time, when I rank FFVII Rebirth in the top 3 of 2024!

Looking forward to re-reviewing the list and wishlisting things. Whattayear.

Every Nintendo device I've ever owned has been solely to play Pokemon. I get you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

I didn't post my GOTY list explicitly so I couldn't be quoted. Suck it, dorks, I played you like a god damned fiddle.

what if I quote you right now!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks Microcline! drat what a year for games, look at all those recent entries.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Posting for a good cause! Thanks for making Games a wonderful place, everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Give it a try! Opus Magnum is so satisfying and you don't have to do well, it just has to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

if the internet is to be believed it should be compatible with the m series macbooks so i might give it a whirl

Yay!

Look at this stupid thing I made. It makes me so cross, it's so silly. But I made it, dammit.