Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The clock is ticking for me to finish BG3...

Hopefully this will be motivation enough when added to the fact I desperately need to delete it from my hard drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Page 1 and you fuckers are already doing them in ascending order

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m sorry but if you don’t order your list 10-1 you are literally a cop

Seriously have some pride in your work

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Write a sentence for each or perish

Reading the rules?????? No time for that I gotta post!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shard posted:

In my defense the rules were really long! And also fine I'll put it in descending order because I don't want to be a cop.

5) City Game Studio - I sunk a lot of hours into this game. It dethroned Mad Game Tycoon as my favorite game dev sim. And the best part is it keeps getting new features added to it and has a pretty robust mod page on the steam workshop.

4) Super Mario Wonder- easily the best co-op Mario that's ever come out. A ton of characters to pick from, new animation, fun to play, you don't get in each other's way. I had a lot of fun playing this with my son.

3) Street Fighter 6 - A fighting game so good that I bought it day one even though I haven't done that for a fighting game ever. Modern Controls made it so I could actually learn strategy and the amazing netcode actually let me play like 100 online matches quickly.

2) Pizza Tower - the most unique game I've played in years. Feels hand drawn. The sprite work is immaculate. It feels like something you would watch on cartoon network in the late 90s in the same vein as cow and chicken. Soundtrack bangs so hard. Going for P rank was a ton of fun and challenging. My son got this before me and we played it so much together that it made it into my list. One of my favorite memories of the year was going for a p rank and my son and daughter cheering me on as they watched.

1) Baldur's Gate 3 - my favorite RPG of all time. It's arguably got too much content but despite that I have finished it 3 times and have 5 different save files going between the copy I bought on my computer and ps5. The support it has gotten is probably the best of all time. I can't think of any other company that has done as much as well or as quickly as Larian. It will be the rpg I judge all others by until it is dethroned if it ever is for me.

nature is healing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like BG3 but I'm not sure it will even crack my top 5.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

Wanted: Dead is my game of the year. Its a game with a lot of heart and a bad rear end tall woman with a sword. It's the only game I played this year where I really didn't want it to end, and I ended up replaying it on hard and then the "Japanese hard" mode, which is something I never do. I've never beaten a Souls game or really loved a difficult game before but after playing Wanted:Dead I feel like I could handle some new stuff I couldn't before.

The story is obviously rushed, but its actually kind of good. It deals with AI in a way that feels timely, and ponder what it is that makes humans unique in a world where machines can do so much of what we previously relied upon human labor for. It has a bit of fun tech satire in there and a good arc with the main character.

Gameplay is kind of like playing Resident Evil 4 with the enemies in the background, while you're playing Sekiro with enemies in the foreground and also you just smoked some meth. It's awesome, well animated but still a little janky, and aggravating in a good way.

Did you wanna rank anything else or just shout that into the abyss?

Escobarbarian posted:

loving screaming internally

Hehe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Some prominent posters have yet to post lists... :thunk:

Patience fridge. Mine will be up on Saturday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What a year! I played SIXTY FOUR games this year (thanks Gamepass). Not gonna waste time talking about every single one of them, but yeah this was a great year for games. Let's get into it:

The Missing:

Armored Core 6 – Normally I would jump on any FromSoft game on release but I’m really not sure this one is gonna be my thing. I will probably check it out eventually.

Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name – These games always seem to come out near the end of the year when I don’t have time to get to them. Oh well, next year!

Dishonorable Mentions:

Tactics Ogre Reborn – I talked about my difficult relationship with non-Fire Emblem strategy/tactics games in last year’s list and mentioned being hopeful about this one due to the near universal praise it got. Well I’ve learned my lesson. I’m done taking recommendations in this genre, especially when it comes to older games. Clearly there’s some fundamental disconnect between my tastes and those of others because this game was absolutely awful. It didn’t even feel like there were any tactical decisions to be made during the fights. It was just balls of stats and hugely inflated HP pools bashing against each other on generally dull and uninspired maps from start to finish. The story was fine I guess. It really took a huge push to finish the last few chapters of this game as I was so over it by then, but I was curious enough to see the ending.

Soul Hackers 2 – This game makes me mad because I was genuinely enjoying it for about 80% of its playtime. It had great gameplay and a pretty engaging story with fun characters. Then in the final act the story decided to go completely to poo poo with an absolutely nonsensical betrayal by one of the core cast who goes on to become the final boss and tries to destroy the world. Absolutely none of her motivations made any sense and the entire final chunk of the game was deeply stupid. I did get the good ending where you pull her back and save her yay but the whole thing just completely ruined the game for me. Also there’s no endgame level dungeon or anything to use your coolest highest level toys so even the gameplay ends with a wet fart.

Special Award for Most Frustrating Nonsense:

Trails Into Reverie – Before we launch into my thoughts about this game, let’s check out some reviews:
“… cute and charming at times…”

“… it doesn’t completely suck.”

“Instead of eliciting anger like the last game did, this installment merely bores. That’s progress to me.”

“An improvement I guess.”

“I find myself much more forgiving and able to lower my expectations to the point that this is at least playable.”

“Garfield is a cat who says funny things” Ah wait I seem to have selected quotes from reviews of Garfield: The Movie and Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties by mistake. Let’s try that again, this time I’ll write my own review blurbs. (This joke shamelessly stolen from lasagnacat).

“features characters I can remember caring about.”

“The gameplay continues to be competent”

“Most of the interminable final dungeon is optional”

“At least Rean is only in a third of the game this time”

“only the final act actively infuriated me”

Okay enough goofing around. I’ve put this game in its own category for a few reasons. For one, I really liked it for a lot of the time I was playing it and didn’t want to put it in dishonorable mentions. But it also finally has convinced me to abandon a series I once loved which is a really big deal to me. It’s a complex mess of emotions and I feel the need to get it all down somewhere, so bear with me (or skip the rest of this if you haven’t played these games and don’t care!).

The Trails in the Sky trilogy is one of my favorite set of games of all time. When I first discovered them back in 2015 I was absolutely enraptured, playing through the first two games back to back then waiting eagerly for the third to be localized. The next year I also played Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 and loved them too. In 2017 Sky 3 came out and I played it on release, completing the original trilogy. And from there the waiting began. It would be two long years before Trails of Cold Steel 3 was finally localized, and in that time I learned that not only would it not complete another trilogy, with a fourth Cold Steel game still to come, but CS3 would take place after the two other games in the series that had not yet been localized – the games referred to as the “Crossbell games”: Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure. At this point it was becoming clear that this massive story stretching over 9 games was getting a bit too big for me. I wanted to play CS3, but knowing that I’d lack some context and that I’d still be waiting who knows how long for CS4, I decided to wait. I knew there was a fan translation in the works for Zero so I figured I would play that, read a summary of Azure, then move on to CS3. Once I’d done all that and was back to waiting for CS4 though, my concerns had grown.
The story they’d started and set up so intriguingly in the Sky trilogy had now started to become a bloated mess. In the Cold Steel games in particular there were now far too many characters for any of them to have any serious development, and the wheel spinning in CS3 was really awful. I still had some hope though. CS4 was definitively supposed to be the end of the five game arc that included Crossbell and Erebonia. If they could stick the landing and tie a bow on this bloated mess and set up interesting places for the series to go from there, I figured it would still be alright.

Unfortunately that isn’t what happened. CS4 was localized in 2020 and not only did it continue along the same route as the previous game, it made things much much worse. They squandered the series’ best villain who had been built up since Sky 3. They had characters behave in ways that made absolutely no sense. The ultimate plan of the villains was so convoluted and confusing and introduced so much bizarre nonsense in the final act that by the time I was finished I was only glad everything was over.

This could have been the end of the series for me, but Reverie was out in Japan and from the reception of the fandom I was just barely persuaded that it would be interesting enough to give a shot. As a sort of epilogue to the Cold Steel and Crossbell series it featured the main characters from both of those to sort of tie a bow on that region and set up where the story goes from there. Maybe, I thought, this game would do what I’d hoped CS4 would do.

So three years passed as I waited for Reverie to be localized. Meanwhile the Crossbell games were finally officially brought to the west, and more games in the series continued to be released in Japan as English players fell further behind. I didn’t play the official versions of the Crossbell games and I mostly put the series out of my mind until this year when Reverie was finally released in English.

The worst part about this game is that for most of it… I actually really enjoyed myself in a way I hadn’t with this series since CS2. The third protagonist, C, was a breath of fresh air, exploring new and interesting things with a character who had really gotten the short straw in their treatment in CS3 and 4. Even the parts with Lloyd and Rean were mostly tolerable, though they continued to lean on the same incredibly tired jokes and tropes that have plagued the games for a while now. No I do not find it funny how every character falls over themselves to comment on Rean’s love life or lack thereof. I am utterly sick of how obsessed Erebonians are with swords and repeating the same lines of powering up and comparing strength and overwhelming auras. But these elements were at least somewhat restrained, and the actual story was interesting – adding new elements to the lore of the series and doing exactly what I hoped for – pointing out actually intriguing new directions for the series to go.

But alas, it couldn’t last. The final act revealed that everything happening actually was tied into exactly the stupidest parts of the ending of CS4. All of the interesting aspects were thrown out for yet another fight against a nonsense nightmare demon or whatever. C still had a bit of interesting character work in the finale (but they even hilariously decided to undercut that at the last minute as well, good show).

Not to mention that at this point the gameplay has been largely the same for 5 games, adding only tiny new elements each time. The Cold Steel series in particular seems obsessed with always including a massive combat only dungeon that’s mostly divorced from the main plot, and Reverie doubled down on this. It has an entire postgame dungeon that doubles the length of the part in the main game, and asks you to slog through hours more of repetitive gameplay to see some extra story scenes and bonus foreshadowing stuff. At that point I’d had it with the game and just watched the extra scenes on youtube.

The fact is that even at their best I still feel like I can no longer trust Falcom to write a compelling story. They’ve gone so far up their rear end, padding their games and stories to ridiculous degrees, obsessed with drawing out mysteries and repeating jokes and even whole plot beats over and over again. This game showed glimmers of what I once loved about the series, but even that was lost underneath piles of the worst bullshit the series has to offer.

So that’s it, I’m done. When the next arc begins to get localized, I’m not gonna play them. Maybe it is just barely possible that once the entire arc is complete I might look into what the consensus is on them, but judging from what I’ve heard about the two games already out in Japan, it seems like they haven’t changed their ways one bit. So goodbye Trails series. I’ll miss what you once were to me, but at least I still have the first 3 games to look back on fondly. I might even replay them someday to reexperience the best the series had to offer.

Honorable Mentions:

Chained Echoes – This was an awesome little indie RPG. It had a cool unique combat system and an engaging story. I don’t have too much else to say about it but it was really fun!

Neon White – I don’t usually go in for speedrunning focused games, but I make it a point to always play Mark Brown’s Most Innovative Game of the Year if I haven’t already, so I made sure to check this out. And it was really fun! The movement is polished to the absolute highest sheen and I was very much driven to get ace medals on every single level. Didn’t go for red medals, I’m not insane, but I loved feeling like I’d mastered each level well enough.

Misericorde: Volume One – This probably would have made my top 10 list if it wasn’t episodic. It was great but I need more! A cool mystery in a very unique setting. Looking forward to replaying this episode when the next one comes out to experience the whole thing at once (I will probably make sure to check if episode 2 is actually the conclusion first…)

Chants of Sennaar – Lots of games here in honorable mentions came close to making the main list but this was probably the closest. It’s an extremely cool puzzle game about learning to translate numerous different languages with no starting knowledge of their grammar, vocabulary, or even script. It’s certainly simplified and contrived to be a fun game, but it works extremely well. Best part by far is the endgame series of puzzles where you have to help the different cultures communicate with each other by translating directly from one language to another.

Cocoon – An excellent little puzzle game with some really mind bending concepts. I loved diving into and out of pocket universes and taking other pocket universes into a different pocket universe and then carrying around all the pocket universes on my back so I could go multiple pocket universes deep. Cool.

Super Mario Wonder – Probably my favorite 2D Mario ever? So many wild and unique ideas. Definitely something that could have made the top 10 list in another year.

American Arcadia – The gameplay with this was serviceable at best but it gets a spot here in the honorable mentions for just how clever its story was. A truly excellent bit of satire. Don’t be a fool!

Slay the Princess – I almost didn’t play this one, but decided to squeeze it in right at the end of the year. It’s really an extremely clever game. Its big picture story is kiiind of a bit pretentious and nonsensical but what I love about it is just finding all the different princesses and variations to explore. Gotta catch ‘em all!

And finally, the main event:

Top 10:

10. Octopath Traveler II – I was really cool on Octopath 1. It had some cool ideas but the disjointed nature of the stories just didn’t work for me, and the extremely half hearted manner in which it tried to tie them together at the very end fell completely flat. I didn’t really want to play 2 but the reception convinced me to change my mind. And I’m glad I did! Octopath 2 fixed literally every issue I had with the first game and then some. The characters were more fun and memorable, the individual stories were better, and while they are still disjointed to some extent, there are loads of direct interactions between characters to experience and it does actually all tie together in a way that even culminates in a final boss that has you use all 8 characters at once. It was brilliant and really clever. Just in case there is still anyone out there who came away disappointed from Octopath 1 and hasn’t tried 2, give it a chance!

9. Baldur's Gate 3 – Hoo boy. This game. Did I like it? Yes a lot. Did I love it the way a lot of people seem to? No, definitely not. Between bugs, godawful UI, extremely tedious and inconvenient inventory and character management, and some encounters (especially in act 3) that are mindbogglingly poorly designed, I definitely don’t see this as the greatest RPG of all time or whatever. Buuuuuuut it still is something special despite that. Its characters are memorable and compelling (Shadowheart <3), its main story is filled with twist and turns and there are so many good sidequests and secrets to find it’s almost never boring. I’m certainly never going to touch it again, but I came away very satisfied with my one playthrough. Shoutouts in particular to all of act 2 for being the most thrilling and well paced part of the game, the underwater prison escape for being an extremely clever and challenging twists on game mechanics, and to the Raphael fight for yes, probably being my favorite single boss fight of the year.

8. Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane – I dunno if I’d ever have thought I’d be putting something that is almost just an Ace Attorney fangame on one of these lists, but Tyrion Cuthbert manages to transcend what it is imitating and finds its own identity. The mysteries are not all great, but there are some definite great ones in there. The evidence system is kind of a mess, but for the most part it works and usually it’s tricky but not impossible to find what you need in the slightly bloated evidence lists. What really sets this game apart though is its commitment to its world and tying its mysteries into the broader story it wants to tell. It takes a world where magic is real and explores the systems thoroughly in each one of its cases. All while dealing with a political backdrop that is intriguing and engaging. I may be a sucker, but hell I even really loved the little romance story they put in there with the two protagonists, it was super cute. The game ends with a sequel hook that has me really excited for the devs to make another game in this series. Here’s hoping they pull it off!

7. The Roottrees are Dead – It seems the Obra Dinn style deduction game is still alive and well. This free, solo dev game came out of nowhere but really impressed me. It combines Obra Dinn’s concept of identifying specific information about people with Her Story’s idea of searching through databases for keywords. The combination works really well! It was great fun learning the stories of this whole massive family tree and trying to figure out where their pictures would appear. I found it a little more frustrating than Obra Dinn, but with a few small pushes from a friend I was able to solve everything. I only have two small criticisms. First, that finding everyone’s occupation sometimes felt particularly arbitrary, just an obstacle to make you need to spend more time searching for information. But I get it, there needed to be something else besides name and photograph. Second, the use of AI art is disappointing but at the same time it is a free game with a solo developer so I guess I can give it a pass. Overall it’s a great entry in the genre and I hope we continue to see more people experiment with it.

6. Fire Emblem Engage – Hell yeah it’s been a long 4 years but Fire Emblem is Back! This game had a bit of a weaker story than Three Houses, but it was still a fun one and the gameplay is the best the series has been since before Awakening. The engage mechanic was extremely clever and mixing and matching units and spirits was a great way to help each character feel unique. I never did get to the DLC aside from the added spirits, but I had a blast with the main game. Always great to see my boy Hector getting some love. Standout characters from this game include Jade, Etie, and of COURSE Yunaka. Hiya papaya!

5. Darkest Dungeon 2 – Been looking forward to this for a while. I loved Darkest Dungeon, I’ve played through it 3 times to varying states of completion. While I don’t think I liked DD2 quite as much, I do respect the different direction they chose to take things in. The more pure roguelike design worked pretty well for the most part and I felt the difficulty was about right (except for the second boss, gently caress that thing). The final boss in particular was an incredible spectacle that overshadowed any single fight in the first game. A couple of the characters feel a little undercooked (no idea how to use the Runaway effectively) but overall it feels well balanced with lots of opportunities to try different teams. I’m letting the DLC build up a bit before I go back for another run but I’m looking forward to revisiting it.

4. Lies of P – Winner of the best game with the worst name award, I still have a hard time believing this game is as good as it is. Up until the demo came out it looked like it was going to be an incredibly forgettable FromSoft imitator that decided to be about edgy Pinocchio for some reason. But instead it’s easily the single best non-FromSoft soulslike released to date. The devs put so much care and attention into every aspect of this game. Almost all the bosses are incredible, the weapon blade and handle switching was inspired, and the setting oozes atmosphere. I greatly appreciated all the little nods and inspiration the game drew from Carlo Collodi’s original book (only disappointment in that regard was the sea monster just being a submarine). I am extremely psyched about the sequel they teased at the end which is going to be about a different 100+ year old children’s book character, one even nearer to my own heart than Pinocchio. Can’t wait!

3. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist – I should have played this last year when my vote would have counted towards its rankings! But alas, I only even learned about it from last year’s top 10 results so I finally picked it up this summer and it BLEW ME AWAY. This game is what Disco Elysium wishes it could be (fine, to be more accurate this game is what I wish Disco Elysium was). Making this kind of stat and dialogue based rpg into a time loop was a brilliant way to make your choices actually matter. Discovering problems in one playthrough and then figuring out how to solve them in a later one was immensely satisfying. I loved every character and exhaustively explored every one of their stories. I got every unique ending, solved every major puzzle, and even looked up a guide to do a theoretically “perfect” playthrough right at the end just because I wanted to leave things on the highest possible note. I wrung every bit of joy I could out of this game and as one way to demonstrate that – I spent exactly as long on this 3-4 hour per playthrough game as I did on the massive bloated RPG that is Trails into Reverie.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – I liked BOTW a lot. It was cool to see Zelda taken in a different more exploratory direction, and I had a lot of fun playing it. My primary disappointment was that while the shrines were mostly great fun, the divine beasts and final boss left a lot to be desired. What good was a Zelda game without proper dungeons? TOTK didn’t fully fix the dungeon issue, but everything else about it was unbelieveably better. The dungeons were at least a bit bigger and more complex, but the bosses were so spectacular. Especially the final boss sequence which was a non stop thrill ride and had me CHEERING in the final moments after I won. I took so many screenshots of the ending section. The new mechanics introduced in this game were ingenious. Ultrahand is just the perfect video game tool. Its versatility allows you to do such a wide range of things that it works both for people like me (purely utilitarian puzzle solvers not interested in creativity for its own sake) as well as for people who love just to build whatever they can imagine. Add rewind and fusion into the mix and you have this incredible recipe for gameplay that manages to never get old. Every hour of this massive game was filled with new ideas and discoveries. They really pulled it off this time, achieving what BOTW grasped for but couldn’t quite reach. I don’t think they can improve on this formula now, so I do hope they try something different for the next Zelda game. I think if they hadn’t taken my boy Kass out behind the woodshed and murdered him, this game would at least have been in serious contention for my number 1 spot this year. But as it is, there was never a competition. The best game of the year was always going to be:

1. Pikmin 4 – Pikmin is probably my favorite video game franchise of all time. Every game has managed to be dramatically different from what preceded it, and every game has fully enraptured me. I’ve played these games more than practically any others, and Pikmin 4 will likely join the others in that status. I’ve been waiting for this game for 10 years and they absolutely delivered on all of my expectations and beyond. Going back to Pikmin 2 style underground caves was a delight, but they also kept overworld levels even bigger and more numerous than Pikmin 3! This game had absolutely everything I could have wanted. The piklopedia and treasure information were bigger than ever. There were multiple extra game modes and challenges all built into the main story. Captain Olimar is back and playable again. Oatchi rules. If I had to give any criticisms it would be that the game is a little bit too easy and the night missions are a tad undercooked. But who cares! I loving love Pikmin!!!!! Gonna start waiting for Pikmin 5 now Miyamoto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Final list:
10. Octopath Traveler II
9. Baldur's Gate 3
8. Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane
7. The Roottrees are Dead
6. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Darkest Dungeon 2
4. Lies of P
3. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist
2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
1. Pikmin 4

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

I'm so happy that Exocolonist is getting at least a couple of votes this year. Such a good game with such an awful name. :allears:

Hell yeah. I got a bunch of my friends to finally play it too. Love that game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmfao at the last posts

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

drat VG you may legit have had the best year ever in terms of the amount of stone cold classics you beat for the first time. Mad respect.

And they're making him start off next year with Gollum

The monsters

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

wait no don't do this

For some reason he won't listen to me when I tell him this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Runa posted:

I'll be perfectly honest it feels weird knowing I have friends who lurk and don't have accounts but who will absolutely track down a post I make in the goty 2023 thread to fact-check my work

(the friend who actually does post here doing this is fine though)

This is why you cut out the middle man and just give your friends your list directly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have always included dishonorable mentions and intend to continue to do so, and I include my issues with even my favorite games. The idea of this thread being positive means to not directly poo poo on other people's lists, not to never criticize anything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I bought (played on game pass) Pentiment based on last year’s thread and completed it in enough time for it to make my top 5 that year!! Such a brilliant game, god drat.

Also yes Perfect Dark is still so good. I used to waste hours even just in the base area.

Me too it was some good recommending people did last year

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Veeg is a national treasure

Which nation though, as yet undetermined

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Easily my biggest Hipster Gamer year - 4 of my games not even in the top 60. Only one of those I find a bit surprising though is Darkest Dungeon 2. Tyrion Cuthbert, Roottrees, and Exocolonist are all pretty much expected.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Ah right, that was because I got to your change post much later after I had done the main part and added the numbers on manually. I will alter it now.

Due to this error I'm afraid a recount has been triggered. Please start the process over thank you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Man I picked that up at one point and still haven't played it, I need to get around to it (and so many others!)

Top of the list Jerusalem come on

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I have so many that I keep thinking,"Man I GOTTA play that one next!" they all look so good!

Well I am telling you that Outer Wilds is unquestionably actually the one you gotta play next

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is one of the next games I'm gonna play!

(Astlibra Revision for the new page)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mutha Fuckin Hollow Knight

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah tell me about it. I do own a copy of hollow knight but it is on a list of games I intend to play and that list is currently 178 games long.

Unless that list also includes Outer Wilds I have good news about the game you need to play next

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Subscribing to Regy’s “what game should people play next” newsletter

We can make a nice flowchart

Does the list include Outer Wilds? Yes > play Outer Wilds. No > go to next question

Does the list include Obra Dinn? Yes > play Obra Dinn. No > go to next question

Does the list include Hollow Knight? Yes > play Hollow Knight. No > congrats you did it you played all the games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Live a Live was fun. Had some really clever ideas.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wo Long just didn't really grab me sadly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rip

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tosk posted:

Does "down by __ places" always refer to that game's place from last year?

This is one of my favorite threads every year and a significant source of my backlog! I've already picked up a handful, we'll see if I missed anything as we go down the list.

Yeah. It's expected that most games that make a reappearance will go down since fewer people will be playing them. The real crazy stuff is when they go UP

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Misericorde is excellent. I didn't include it on my list cause it's just volume one. Maybe when the story is complete I'll rank it!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haven't heard of Void Stranger or Cassette Beasts. I may have to look into them!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Someone mentioned that technically, in some strange way, Xenogears connects to this universe.... I am interested.

You are definitely going to love Xenoblades 1 and 3

You will probably also like 2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

FF7 Remake up by 35!! incredible!

Yeah, drat

Can't wait to finally play it in 2028 or whatever

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Veeg plays pokemon will be a journey

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Regy's insisting, I am going to play Pikmin 1 before the mid point of the year :D

Yes yessssss

Pikmin

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I believe it's at 37 points, just edging out Dragonflight at 36

you've flipped the I and V

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

27. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Capcom) (2023)
70 points. Voted for 12 times. Appeared #1 once. Average of 5.8

Starting to think I should have created a best hairstyle award and given it to this dude.

gently caress me, veeg where is this on your list, how have we been slacking and not made you play it yet

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

It is on the list, but not soon. Sounds like I should rectify this?

yeah

It's another one that should be on my flowchart

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gah I haven't had time to get to Talos 2. But i've bought it. Maybe in 2-3 games time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I've said it before in my list but I enjoyed talos 2 a lot more than the first.

But you really need to play 1 as the build up to it.

"Epitaph? What? Wait a second!"
- Regy Rusty, v.79.002.42b