Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell yeah VG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

10 - Waves of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6oL3uf66E

Made by a fellow goon, TooMuchAbstraction, this is a fun little game inspired by Koei's Naval Ops games on the PS2. While those games were already fairly fantastical, combining WW2 era technology with an isekai premise and gear progression that eventually led to sci-fi weapons as you take on increasingly implausible enemies, Waves of Steel takes that as a baseline and goes even further. You are tasked with bringing down entire armadas of warships, some of which are paradropped right in your location, and you face off against absurdly colossal, and colossally absurd, superweapons. The reason you can do this is an advanced mobile shipyard that allows you to customize and design your ships along extremely generous guidelines, with nitro boost, ramming drills, and the ability to do sick kick flips and barrel rolls with jumpjets. This is basically World of Warships if it were a Dynasty Warriors made by a tiny team on a one person budget.

It's also compatible with the Steam Workshop! And unsurprisingly, a bunch of the mods are for hull types (both new and ported from other games) that allow you to make really buckwild designs that wouldn't be or if place in an Armored Core. Just, you know, one of the old ones on the original playstation. You too can save the world with the power of God, anime, and a full complement of 16"/45 caliber naval guns on your side.

This game is quite good in its own right but unfortunately did not make back its budget in sales, which is a shame because it's very fun and very clearly one nostalgic nerd's passion project. This has a particular place in my own memories, however, due to a matter of simple timing. When my mother lost her battle with cancer earlier this year, this helped keep me busy from my grief, at least long enough to help process it at a pace I could withstand.

Thank you, TooMuchAbstraction, and best of luck to you and your next game. I'm looking forward to it!

9 - Against the Storm

(Instead of a quote, insert the sound effect of lumberjacks working)

If you've ever played a city builder game, you probably already know that the most interesting part of a run is the very beginning, where you have to assemble a functioning town or settlement from scratch and make decisions on the fly that may determine the trajectory of your settlement moving forward.

Against the Storm, having recently come out of early access, is at its heart a game all about that specific point in the process, using its roguelite framework to let you experience that moment again and again as you manage expeditions to gather resources for the one city in the world safe from the toxic and magically corruptive storms from whence this title is named.

It's a fiendishly clever gameplay loop that laser focuses on the best bits of its genre with an immediately compelling narrative framework. Your job is to establish settlements and bring them to a baseline level of prosperity and sustainability, or at the very least fame and profitability, before you are tasked with moving ever onwards. While your settlement will continue without you, at least until the end of the decades-long Storm Cycle, you must continue to push forward to find the broken Seals in the wilderness and reforge them, so that the world may stand some chance of surviving.

This may involve bribing people with biscuits.

8 - Stray Gods

"You will both sit, and you will explain. There will be tea."

Classicists and theatre kids, unite! This is one of many visual novel-type games I've played and streamed for friends this year. Or, really, more a CYOA Musical. Like many musicals, the actual songs themselves are hit or miss, but on a technical, structural level, this game is an achievement. Where many of the finest RPGs are reactive in terms of decisions made in the course of pursuing plotlines, Stray Gods is reactive not just on a song-by-song basis, but choices made in songs past will affect your options in songs moving forward.

An urban fantasy centered around a young woman named Grace, who inherits the powers and station of Calliope, the Last Muse. And she has to try to prove her innocence when Athena, current de facto leader of the Olympians, accuses her of Calliope's murder. This game is an impressively ambitious, thoughtful, and heartfelt interpretation of Greek mythology in a modern context.

And unlike a number of urban fantasy or otherwise fantastical stories set in the real world, Stray Gods is absolutely unafraid to address uncomfortable questions. Questions like, what were [insert fantastical setting element] up to during World War 2? Well, it's a major plot point and explains why both Ares and Haephestus aren't present for the story.

This game is chock full of references and jokes to various stories from myth and legend, even some relatively deep pulls like their aesthetic cousin, Supergiant's Hades. And the art style does look a bit like Hades-in-New-York if you think about it, which isn't a bad place to be.

I'm told you can take quite a few different paths through the story. Even the structure of the plot itself, while being standard to videogames as a medium, even feels like a bit of a fun take on Greek prophecy in context. The end result is set, though not in the way you might expect at first glance, and you can take quite a few paths to get there with many different consequences for the people, and gods, you meet on your path.

This game has a lot of heart, and soul, and song.

7 - Warframe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrQtsLVa504
"I regret to inform you that all of my good jokes... argon."

If I'm being perfectly honest with myself, just by actual time spent this is the game that defined my year. If you were to check my post history in the Warframe thread, you'll find a good half of my posts there are from 2016, a smattering of posts after that till 2018, and then nothing until summer of this year. Which about tracks with my time spent with the game.

I came back to this game after a long hiatus to find a swathe of new features, new places, new faces. Back when I first played, the game was a bit threadbare, a strong enough proof of concept and addictive enough gunplay and acrobatics that I actually got up to Mastery Rank 22 before they even added the first open world area.

I was one of those early players who put in almost a thousand hours into this game, only to suddenly be presented with a character creation screen. The Second Dream was, to my surprise, an incredibly moving questline from a game that, up to that point, had very little story to speak of. And they've only added more from there. More story, more features, more experimentation. Not everything has worked out, obviously, and some of the less supported features (like Archwing flight) were folded into content better able to support them (like open world zones).

Alternate modes of play were also added. Long ago, when Warframe was new, people used to say, I think this game feels floaty, a bit light really. Not a lot of weight or impact to the movement. And when you're playing as a Warframe that can be a bit true. But that's intentional. Warframes are incredibly deadly, fast, and nimble. They are very much unlike conventional fps/tps player characters, even those of faster-paced shooters. Content was later added where you could play as non-warframe characters, with soldiers and engineers who moved with the heft and sense of body that you would expect, like from Gears of War or Dead Space. Players hated it. The contrast between a conventional third person shooter character and the freedom of movement and speed you experience as a Warframe was just too much to bear. That lightness of step, that smooth and relentless speed, that is the essence of the game. And that's what you're here for if you're playing Warframe.

That or the magical girl with a hoverboard.

6 - Misericorde: Volume One

"sword women"

This is the story of a German-born nun, Hedwig of Trier, anchoress of Linbarrow abbey in a remote corner of England. As an anchoress, she is a hermit set apart from her theoretical peers, and she has known nothing of life outside of her cell save for contemplation and the deliverance of other's prayers, a living conduit of faith and not much else. She knows very little about the other nuns with whom she has lived nearly her entire life, and they know nothing of her aside from her voice, attenuated through a small hole in her cell. As someone whose movements and motives are a known factor, she was selected by the abbess to leave her cell, in full breach of her anchorite vows, to serve as the abbess' eyes and ears in a most delicate matter.

A fellow nun has been murdered, an innocent man framed for the deed, and as the only person in the abbey completely free from suspicion, she has been forced by the abbess to help her solve the mystery of Sister Catherine's murder.

Unfortunately Hedwig is utterly unqualified for the task on a number of levels, and much of the story is simply about her learning how to live as a person rather than a religious recluse, and exploring the lives of the women of the abbey, many of whom were forced into this life through various circumstances out of their control. They do not all cope well with their situation and the answer to these tensions is a place of respite, the misericorde, a room where the strictness of a monk or nun's vows are relaxed, up to a point, and where one can be a human again. But this is also more famously the name of a kind of dagger. A weapon of execution, mercy killing, and murder.

As a episodic story with a thoroughly unreliable narrator, faced with a variety of scenes the reader is expected not to trust, backed by an incredibly stylish soundtrack, Misericorde is very openly inspired by Umineko.

Even more obviously so, for me, when I stumbled onto the secret scene that only unlocks after you finish reading through it at least once.

The triphop lesbian nun game is very good. I streamed it for friends on discord. Top marks.

5 - Umineko When They Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENL0nPskSao
"It's useless, it's all useless!"

What a cumbersome English name this one has. I also streamed this one for friends after we finished Misericorde. When I was done with that I thought, drat, they would probably be up for Umineko actually. Turns out I was right.

A lot of people online, especially on these forums, are already familiar with this at least in passing but for the sake of courtesy I will give a précis.

In 1986, an incident on Rokkenjima Island ended with the deaths of almost the entire Ushiromiya family. According to some theories, they were murdered by an entity called the Golden Witch, Beatrice. The second-eldest grandchild present on the island, Ushiromiya Battler, denies her existence and must find a way to explain the murders of his family that refutes the supernatural using his knowledge of the mystery detective genre. His objective is not to find the real culprit. He is here to deny the existence of witches and magic. This is no Sherlock Holmes or Ace Attorney. This is Fantasy vs. Mystery [ed note: Friend A found my post and clarified that it's specifically Anti-Mystery vs Anti-Fantasy]. A battle of wits between an incorrigible troll in a sumptuous dress and a hot-blooded dumbass who can't even bluff his way out of a paper bag. Phoenix Wright he ain't.

Arguably the most famous visual novel outside of Japan, Umineko is a series of eight episodes, four of which are murder mysteries with the same cast of characters, and the series as a whole is a broader supernatural drama and commentary on whodunnits in general, including how readers and fans interact with them. It's creator and main writer, Ryukishi07, may not be a great writer, or even really a good one, but he's a fiendishly clever and fun one. Even when he's being sloppy, or belaboring a point for a few paragraphs more than he really needs to. Nobody's perfect, especially not that guy.

The first episode, which establishes the bulk of the characters and the basic timeline of events common to the following Episodes, is actually presented as a horror story. Each subsequent Episode builds on the last, remixing events and showing new perspectives in a way that keeps things fresh. And this story really, really goes places. To say anything further is to spoil really far too much of it.

The mysteries, and solving them, are only half of the story. The rest is about the sordid and tragic story of the Ushiromiya Family, Japan's wealthiest westaboos, and their ultimately lethal squabbles over a ten-billion yen inheritance. All of their dirty secrets, all of the pain and trauma. All delivered in a medium filtered through incredibly unreliable narration and your only clue to figuring out the truth is to learn the rules that the mystery is actually operating under, and they're not the same as Van Dine's. The world's most unfair whodunnit, packaged with a real life riddle that took fans around the world working together the better part of a decade to figure out.

And it all looks like this:
https://twitter.com/silenttakedown/status/1506028334949486600

It's ultimately a story about magic. That said, the common definition of that word is not what I'm using here. The truth can only be be achieved with understanding and sympathizing with the characters making their mistakes, these poor lost souls forced to endure a twisted Divine Comedy. Without love, it cannot be seen.

(Weirdly, I've been streaming a lot of murder mysteries over discord this year. And actually, previous years too, now that I recall I've shared Ace Attorney with friends as well. And Obra Dinn. And also Golden Idol. This is turning into a bit of a thing with me now. Maybe I'll give Tyrion Cuthbert a shot next year.)

4 - Baldur's Gate 3

"And to think I was ready to decorate the ground with your innards. Apologies."

I hate D&D5e and even I think this game is an achievement. I'm also still just in Act 1 because I only started this Christmas. If not for that this would probably rank higher, but even just as far as I am, I'm very impressed. Larian Studios really knocked this one out of the park. They do "immersive sim" gameplay better than those studios that put 0451 as a password in their games. I'm told that Act 3 onwards is less polished, and of the three returning characters from BG1&2, one is pointless fan pandering, one is active character assassination of a fan favorite, and only one is actually pretty decent.

Even before I started, the memes had me pretty on board right from the off. People love this game and the enthusiasm was infectious.

Actually having the game in my hands and getting to play it, I can tell that Larian has much better sensibilities for design than the entirety of the team that actually wrote D&D5e. The encounter design is top notch and your ability to prep battlefields and gently caress things up is equally solid. And in Tactician difficulty, practically required. And the game's turn-based, not real-time-with-pause, so you know it's good. This feels less like a sequel to the Bioware Baldur's Gates and more like a successor to Divinity: Original Sin. And that's a good thing because those games are a masterclass in tactical thinking and sheer full mischief potential.

Speaking to those sensibilities, when you create a character your Alignment never comes up. Because, like anybody who's played a tabletop rpg written by someone who isn't a moron blinded by nostalgia could tell you, Alignment makes for dogshit roleplaying. It's a good source for meme templates and that's it. It looks like Larian agreed. Two of the first companions you meet, assuming you didn't choose to actually play as one of them instead of making your own character, are characters who would probably have been shoved into the Evil Alignment cupboard, a Cleric of Shar and a Githyanki Warrior. That is, had they been in a worse-written game.

I love both of those idiots. Shadowheart is clearly actually a softie and Lae'zel is an rear end but she's funny sometimes and she tanks hits just fine.

And that rear end in a top hat vampire almost killed me once. Bless his shriveled heart, I love that dipshit too.

All of the origin character companions are utterly charming, even Wyll, the poor guy the fanbase has been sleeping on this whole time.

Well, Gale is decent enough I guess.

Karlach really is the best though.

I wonder if I would enjoy the game as much if I didn't have a mod that let me have all party members out at once. If I had to go back to camp to switch people every time I needed someone's specific expertise I'd probably be driven up the wall.

The only reason I don't feel comfortable ranking this higher is because I've really just started, and I don't know if that's just recency bias or not. That, and also I really dig giant robots. Also, as it turns out, Sisters of Battle. Well, a Sister of Battle. One Sororitas, singular.

3 - Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader

"Abelard, introduce me."

Hey, so. You know what I hate more than D&D5e? That's right, Warhammer 40K. You know what I love more than I hate 40K? That's right, XCOM and having Abelard announce my presence.

I'm not going to lie, while this game has a mere fraction of the production values of BG3, in terms of having an actual game system I want to interact with, this is exactly my jam. I love fussing about with builds, I loved realizing how broken it was to have three Officers ordering Sister Argenta around, killing everything. And then I realized maybe perhaps no one Sororitas should have all this power. Or, at the very least, shouldn't have to shoulder all that responsibility. So I hired a merc to fill some of that niche, just using Warrior as a baseline for Arch-Militant rather than Soldier (better mobility, somewhat worse ballistic skill accuracy). Balance is shot to hell because of how many synergies you can stack on, and how busted action economy powers are in this game. No, really, Officer, one of the four core archetypes of the game, entirely specializes in breaking the action economy!

This uses the Fantasy Flight Rogue Trader TTRPG as a baseline, but Owlcat diverges even more from that game system than Larian did from RAW D&D5e. In tabletop, Dark Heresy was on the lower end of the power scale, Rogue Trader in the middle with starting characters on par with promoted Dark Heresy characters, and Deathwatch was the high-powered Space Marine ttrpg line whose baseline level of overall combat impact was simply far and above what ordinary humans, even exceedingly skilled humans, were capable of.

Owlcat's interpretation of RT has you start near the lower end, analogous to a Dark Heresy Inquisitorial acolyte, only to ramp things up dramatically to the point where it takes a full team of Chaos Space Marines to even approach the point where they could challenge you.

The characters here, too, are charming and well-developed. It's a shame that a much bigger and fancier game has overshadowed the conversation in the genre, but Cassia is adorable, Argenta is the Bolt(er) GOAT(er), and Yrliet, the Eldar Ranger, is one of the most well-developed companion characters in a game I've played, much less this year. If you ever get the opportunity to have Abelard or Pasqal introduce you, make sure to do so.

This game does a great job of really selling the "class fantasy" of being a Rogue Trader to you. You feel like a major player in your corner of the galaxy and the scenarios and dilemmas presented for your consideration all make you feel the weight of your decisions. You are not just an adventurer, even one with a great potential destiny. You are the monarch of a spaceborne dynasty and your castle is a warship the size of a city with guns scaled to match.

The gravity of the decisions in play, the difficulty of the morality of the 40K universe, and the willingness to both punish and reward the Iconoclast for seeking to do genuine good in a setting where such a divergence from the norm verges on apostasy, this makes Rogue Trader one of the most compelling games I'm glad to have taken a chance on.

It's also buggy as hell, and I'm not talking about Tyranids. I'm told that's just an Owlcat thing, and it'll probably be fine come next year. I never played the Pathfinder games, I really, really dislike Pathfinder.

The only tactical ttrpg systems I actually like, LANCER and Fragged Empire, don't have videogames attached to their names.

Well, okay, maybe LANCER. A little bit. Tom Kill Six Billion Demons has gone on record as saying that one of his major inspirations for that game were his half-remembered vibes from a youth spent playing Armored Core 4/For Answer.

2 - Armored Core 6

"Welcome back, Raven."

The only other Armored Core games I'd ever played prior to this were AC Master of Arena, the third game in the entire franchise on PSX and Armored Core V on the PS3. I was hooked on Master of Arena as a kid. Getting good enough to beat it, and that means wrangling those janky classic AC controls and beating Nineball Seraph. Hot drat that was difficult, but satisfying. Meanwhile ACV felt a bit bland and I bounced right off of it.

In some ways, I was coming to Armored Core 6 fresh. In other ways, however, I was a long-lost series veteran, the sort of player who remembers when mercenaries were called Ravens and to know fear when the soundtrack busts out the piano.

In a way, when ALLMIND greeted me, after playing Master of Arena over two decades ago, it felt like I was coming home.

Goddamn this game is hard though. I know Miyazaki repeatedly tried to temper people's expectations to say, no, really, this is not a Souls game. It kinda feels a bit like a Souls game. (Positive)

This is a high-speed giant robot action game made by a studio with loads of experience making finely-tuned difficulty engines, with a fanbase that is fully prepared for the worst the devs can muster.

Even the framing of the missions feels like it was designed for veterans. In Master of Arena, you spent a lot of time trying to build your rep in Raven's Nest, doing a lot of relatively small-stakes jobs before the corps felt comfortable with offering you the juciest contracts. In AC6, you do maybe three low-stakes jobs before Handler Walter manages to get you a big opportunity to Climb the Wall and prove you're the real deal.

And hot drat can you do that.

Despite never seeing a single person's face, the characters ooze personality. Even if the only face you can put to a name is either their comm icon avatar or the robot they pilot. Rusty stands out as a fan favorite and when he says he won't miss, you better believe it, buddy.

And the gameplay itself? Just to play? It's the tightest action game of the year. Even my friend who hates Soulsborne games was fully down to fight robo-a-robo.

The NG++ Final Final Boss is also some of the funniest poo poo, swear to god. Saltiest man on the planet refuses to die, hijacks the villain's scheme to try and fail to kick your rear end one last time.
https://twitter.com/XuanyiRuna/status/1711310087556587881?s=20

1 - ASTLIBRA ~生きた証~ Revision

"Oh destiny, is this... the world you wish for?"

Another friend of mine gifted this to me ages ago and I never got around to playing it. Then a different friend streamed some of it on discord for me and I was immediately intrigued. In my defense, if friend A really wanted me to play they gifted me sight unseen, they should've demo'd it a bit. That said, I'm thankful to the both of them. If I had to say there was a game I've played this year that I had the least amount of expectations going in, yet managed to get me Extremely Hype in the course of playing it, it would have to be Astlibra. The action platformer with a talking bird that does your supermoves and a time travel story that starts off incredibly bittersweet, swerves into tragedy, only to climb, phoenix-like, from the ashes into sheer cathartic joy. Its art style is a weirdly eclectic mishmash of bespoke sprites and portraits painted by a Vanillaware artist and a bunch of stock photo assets. It's funny, it's charming, it's often quite melancholy, it's probably too horny by half, and its music goes inexplicably, incredibly hard.

This is the music that plays when you're beating up slimes in the starting forest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRNjuoKvlI

This is the music that plays while you're fighting your way through far future Tokyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w8ppfp9KD4

I actually forget the exact context of this track tbh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUTL9JpgK4A&t=114s

This feels like the theme of the hero's Determination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbDphFU3hsY

This is also the game I've repeatedly posted about in the RPG Thread. To repost my own words from there:

I still love how Astlibra's demo and first chapter play with your perceptions to keep you disoriented while you're unsure of what even is going on, with the demo even being presented as a prophetic dream which winds up coming to fruition in a way I definitely didn't expect. It all lends an air of mystery, danger, and quiet tragedy to the early game. But that sense of disorientation, unreality, and manipulated perceptions comes into play less and less as time goes on. As you become more aware of your situation, the world around you, and the capabilities of the powers in play, you become harder to get taken off-guard by the truths you're confronted with.

And this awareness all comes to a head in a scene at the start of the post-game. You wake up from the dream as a child again, just like you did in the demo of the game, just like you did in the prologue of the game, and your crow companion greets you, again, saying what a long and vivid dream that must've been. And then immediately calls bullshit on the very idea of it at about the same time you, the player, probably are. Because he knows drat well what's going on and so do you. Now that the two of you've been yeeted way, way back it's time to get to work. This time for good.

It's a very funny bit that cleanly segues into a tone of stirring determination, one of my favorite scenes in a game chock full of strong moments.

Astlibra's first half is incredibly bittersweet, a story of constant trolley problems where your time travel shenanigans, mostly involuntary, lead to results that are somewhat better than the situation you started with but at some cost. And then things turn out far for the worse as the entire system begins to break down. The story goes into some pretty dark and depressive places, which makes the "postgame," or rather the true third act of the story, so intensely cathartic. It's a delight.

This is a story about breaking through time itself in order to make sure that, no, gently caress you, everyone lives. We're going for the golden ending, even if we have to relive an entire lifetime to make it happen. And we're going to do some really hinky nonsense to make it possible, but when all the pieces fall into place, it's gonna rock.

This was the game this year that made me laugh, cry, and hoot and holler in excitement. Sometimes all at once.

Of all the games I played this year, this one made the biggest impact on me. Even if I have to sheepishly admit to friend A that they were right to gift it to me.

Courtesy List:
10: Waves of Steel
9: Against the Storm
8: Stray Gods
7: Warframe
6: Misericorde
5: Umineko
4: Baldur's Gate 3
3: Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader
2: Armored Core 6
1: Astlibra Revision

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 1, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I hadn't procrastinated to the, like, literal last ten minutes the formatting would've been a bit cleaner

E:

King of Solomon posted:

Lol same. I had to edit my post three or four times to actually get it formatted properly.

lmao late buddies

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 1, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

also happy new years to all

Booky posted:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (HD Trilogy)

i finally beat the last case after stopping for like 4 years at the very start of it and it loving owned?? that poo poo rocked hard!!

gently caress yeah Ace Attorney!

I know it's not on your list proper I just wanted to say that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be perfectly honest it feels weird knowing I have friends who lurk and don't have accounts but who will absolutely track down a post I make in the goty 2023 thread to fact-check my work

(the friend who actually does post here doing this is fine though)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

broken pixel posted:

Best 10-minute long escape song from a game I think is dead, which makes me sad because the OST is a blast: Get Out (Phase 1) [Deceive Inc.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pgHFD_rrso

me too, drat Deceive Inc. deserved better

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

times are a' changin...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

BG3 would win but secretly we would all look back in five years and be like "hmm, yeah DE was the better game" in our hearts of hearts

yeah probably

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

Disco Elysium is about a guy who forcefully evangelizes communism and is also a huge loser who destroyed his own life, so of course goons identify with it

lmfao

goddamn

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BigDumper posted:

In hindsight it’s wild how Sony nailed it right out of the gate with the dual shock layout.

Yeah, and it's basically just an SNES controller with analog sticks, more shoulder buttons, and better ergonomics. The building blocks were there but Nintendo couldn't see it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I heard Alan Wake 2 was pretty good, if I cared at all about opening EGS I might consider it but survival horror games aren't a genre I'm that enthusiastic about

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm already getting excited to vote for an mmo expansion in 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dawntrail might make the list for me next year but i think there's also probably going to be an anticlimactic hangover effect after Endwalker, how do you top that

I've seen the fanfest preview material, I'm actually pretty hype

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

the countdown mostly passed me by but I tried to catch up a bit while things weren't too busy at work. but as I just got home from said work, I'm hoping it's not too late to get a commemorative probe with this as my image:

(there's only so much room in the format and Astarion had to get cropped for space)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks to hbomberguy the word "plagiarism" is en vogue but he used it to refer to a very specific set of accusations against specific content creators.

Nerds confusing Lies of P's derivative but loving homage as plagiarism is just people being too precious about Bloodborne for their own good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also need Metis to get their GOTY probe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Microcline posted:

Runa
Your closest match is Zaggitz based on a shared interest in: Astlibra Revision, Judgment, The Great Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Final Fantasy XIV, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring
Your top 5 recommendations are: Pentiment, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III, Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Hades

Interesting! And I'll confess three of the games in my top 5 recommends are on my radar from multiple people recommending them. The other two I've actually already played and love, so I can't say the recommendations are necessarily wrong. (YLAD was actually my No.1 pick in 2020)

A bit of namesearching meant that people getting matched with me meant the data recommended Monster Roadtrip to them which both is both very funny but also I will take it as a segue to me just recommending it in general.

I'm just going quote myself for it

Runa posted:

2 - Monster Camp 3: Monster Roadtrip -
This is a time loop and we're all going to die. Of fun!

The third and most recent release of the well known cult classic partygame+VN wombo combo franchise by the Barcelona-based developers Beautiful Glitch. I really only got into this series this year and while the first game's cast was the best by a long shot, the second game had funnier events and more robust ways to mess around, mechanically. Unfortunately, again, the first game had a much funnier and more charming cast of romanceable monsters, so for the third game Beautiful Glitch decided to split the difference. With the cast of both 1 and 2, and a completely new stat system and end goal, Monster Roadtrip is a huge and winding misadventure I loved replaying every few nights. Again, with friends!

Monster Roadtrip has so much content and so much art that it makes the setting feel more alive, which amuses me as the Monster Realm pretty much just started as a surreal parody of modern America. And it still is, mind you, but there's also just so much of it that it's become a fun little hell-country to revisit time and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nice