Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Jay Rust posted:

tbh... the rules aren't SUPER clear, they're really wordy. Some bold might help?

Put the important part in bold at the beginning of the rule imo. Only ten games count: not important. Five game minimum for your post to count at all: very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Not top 10.
Final Fantasy II PR (PS4): Praise Jesus for the qol features added in the Pixel Remaster, otherwise I would not have finished this. Some of the most grueling dungeons in the series and the neverending metagame just to level up is exhausting.
Prince of Persia (SNES): Played at least a few minutes of many PoP ports but the SNES game is new to me so here's a separate "shout out". Entirely too long and sadistic - the levels where you spend 5-10 minutes following one path only to take a wrong turn and have to start over were anti-fun.
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice(Gamepass): Five hours of detective vision while zonked out on Scarecrow gas is a little long, but this was perfectly okay Gamepass fodder. A couple of the trial levels (inferno and darkness) were very cool.
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (Gamepass): Wacky top down Zelda-like, this could have been really good if they'd used all the controller buttons, instead of having you swap 3 items on one button for some reason.
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color): Sword & Shield is a masterful troll of of dungeon, one of the best in the series. It's a bit longer than it needs to be, just like Ages - too much overworld and too much questing in between dungeons.
Like a Dragon: Ishin! (Gamepass): Showed up on Gamepass at a very unfortunate time, as I was still drowning in chapter 5 sidequests when LaD Gaiden dropped, and was in no mood to go back to sword Kiryu after playing as Joryu. I'll get back to it someday but man is this game dense.

Top 10!
10) Final Fantasy III PR (PS4)
Fun to go back to where the job system started. Magic users are badly shafted by no ethers (even FF1 PR had these!) but they're not needed thanks to the mighty Bard.
9) 3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)
The second best Zelda game I played this year, it's actually a secret love letter to Dragon Quests I, II, III, IV, V, and probably other games that I missed. A couple of troll (derogatory) dungeons later on knock it down a few spots (I still can't believe the eyeball that knocks off all but 1 health), but this was mostly a delight.

8) Ancient Domains of Mystery (PC)
Finally won after uncountable years, and then ultra won! No other classic roguelike does worldbuilding the way ADOM does, except for maybe Omega, which I haven't played, so maybe I'll do that.
7) Inscryption (Xbox)
The first few hours of this game are really something special, and the card game was a lot of fun throughout. But [redacted] didn't do anything for me, and the magic faded a little more every time it got in the way. What a pity.
6) Loop Hero (Gamepass)
Okay, by now roguelite developers are just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what's going to stick. Luckily "Carcassone autobattling deck-and-town-builder" is a heroic combination, and building up to your unkillable army of skeletons is always incredibly satisfying.
5) Chicory: A Colorful Tale (Gamepass)
I expected Okami but turns out it's mostly Link's Awakening, and either way that's good news for me. Cute but not cloying.
4) Lyle in Cube Sector (PC)
A compact master class in search action design, and thanks to theft, the greatest soundtrack of all time.
3) Romancing SaGa 2 (Xbox)
It took me years of play to get more than a couple of generations in, but when I finally said "gently caress it" and decided to just roll with the party wipes I had a great time. But the termite queen scenario can go to hell.
2) Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name (Gamepass)
I really wasn't expecting much out of this but it's one of the best games in the freaking series. Deliberately picking fights on Bishamon Bridge just so you can web throw three mooks into the river ftw.
1) La-Mulana (Xbox)
Sure, the hitboxes can be frustrating (gently caress you, giant fish), and some of the traps are overly cruel, but I spent drat near a month solid either playing this or thinking about it, and I'm sad that I can't go back and play it again for the first time, but glad because now I can play the sequel. What a game!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

morallyobjected posted:

That's the one where they went back to the spell charge system, right? But before tents? So inns were really the only option (or maybe the airship, eventually)

Yep, spell charges and no tents. I'm pretty sure there's even an overworld break in the last set of dungeons, so you can save but you can't regain magic.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

HopperUK posted:

Bought those Alwa games someone was talking about! Assuming that was this thread. I'm quite tired. They're on deep sale though!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/549260/Alwas_Awakening/

These looked neat, thanks for the heads up!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

veni veni veni posted:

Incredible that goons are such contrarians that you can look at something that is absolutely blatant with how derivative it is, and when someone comments on it you try to put them on the defense. I know neither one of you is so dense that you actually don't know what I am talking about so why should I give you a serious answer? The games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying some galaxy brain poo poo that is totally out of left field.

Go cry about the games you hate somewhere else please.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Infinitum posted:

TotK 2
BG3 1

Lock it in Eddie

Brave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Microcline posted:

welcome
Your closest match is dreamless based on a shared interest in: Nobody Saves the World, Spelunky 2, Baba Is You, Loop Hero, Return of the Obra Dinn, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Outer Wilds, Inscryption, Celeste, Hades, Vampire Survivors
Your top 5 recommendations are: Elden Ring, Disco Elysium, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, CrossCode, Pentiment

Didn't play, won't play, bought but haven't played, downloaded but it left Gamepass, barely started. Pretty good, but it's funny that it recommended 3 GotY winners, 1 runner-up, and CrossCode.