Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I haven't finished two three palm-smash slam dunks of my top 10 yet so you'll all have to wait.

In the meantime, laughing and hollering at the lack of FFXVI. Clive-a-dead on arrival baybeee

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Gonna number my games using some ridiculous witness style puzzle* system that’ll keep Veeg occupied for weeks and delay the count

:Edit: *puzzow

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

The lack of BG3 at people’s no.1s is surprising but I reckon it’ll still nab the top spot as individual number 1s are all over the place. It’d be made to argue it definitely doesn’t deserve it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Elden Eing literally too good to be in this year. If you could nominate a game you’ve been playing for more than a year then you’d have ten lunatics with TLOU (PS4) in the top ten

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Will somebody please port Pizza Tower so it runs specifically on the off network Mac work gave me to run a single file and forgot to ask me to return

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I don’t know if I’m gonna finish the last game before I make my list. Don’t know if I can legally put it in such a high spot if I haven’t finished it :(

I’m one of those people whose family and child pictures got suspiciously destroyed in a flood before I saw them so I can only sympathise BP.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

I would love to play Tren but the last time I tried I was not able to figure out how. It doesn’t come up in PS store search, do I have to own and launch Dreams and search in there? For some reason I thought Dreams had gone up on PS+ and first I thought I had forgotten to claim it, but I may have just imagined that since I can’t find any evidence it ever happened. That post makes me want to go buy it regardless tho

Yeah you need to get/buy Dreams, and then Tren is a creation within it, so you need to open dreams and within the little browser navigate to it.

:Edit: I had a strange bug where I couldn’t get beyond the very first stage, I’d complete it and get no grade, or time or score, it was very odd. Might try deleting the whole thing and trying again

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 29, 2023

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

It simply wouldn’t be a proper GOTY thread without

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Getting in just under the wire! Managed to complete the last game I needed today, so here we go;

Before September I never would have expected my top five to look the way it does. Testament to the cornucopia of cromulent games that were unleashed this year (and the pitiful amount of time I spend gaming each year since my Dad made me play Wolfenstein 3D at 3 years old).

I played a lot of games this year, so many that I’m probably leaving 20 or more out of the list entirely. No, disrespect to them, there was just way too much GAMING.

Let’s start by getting crucified-
GTAV Online
Holy poo poo, I started and was instantly bombarded with endless requireables and prompts that I couldn’t ignore, and five minutes later thrown into a ten minute unskippable cutscene with dialogue that’s aged around 240 years. Then I was told to log into my computer to manage my club. Then I was told there was some sort of event outside but there was no way to tell when or where it was. I hated every second of it.

Alan Wake 1.
Partner and I played this in the run up to AW2 coming out. Had never played it before and remembered very little about it from the time. Yes the plot is good, fun Stevie King schlock, but the gameplay is dire. Finicky controls, a dreadful dodge system, plenty of chances to be out of resources and unable to complete sequences further on. Not that it matters, as every encounter is exactly the same, except for when you fight furniture to the death. We just couldn’t bear finishing it. At the same time I’m glad I got somewhat familiar with it, and especially having watched my partner play Control a few years ago…

Teardown
For committing the mortal, inexcusable crime of not including invert-y at launch.

Thumper VR
I love rhythm games so why is this so poo poo?? I’m like not having any fun at all? It doesn’t feel like I’m playing anything, just sort of being assaulted.

Jedi Knight Fallen Order
I swore this game deserved five years on the dishonoured list. Year 4 completed.

Oh and the not yet finished.

The Finals
The Time to Kill seems to have been shortened since the Beta, which was good because it was my main complaint - farcical amounts of bullets pew pewing into people to see their health at half and the dreadful iron sights left you wondering if you were even hitting anyone at all. But that’s gone now, and so is the unintuitive controls for abilities, leaving you sort of stuck and immobile while you were choosing them. However the game seems quite threadbare at the moment. The last time I’d played I did start to get it - a team was cashing out in what turned out to be a room above me…so what if I launch this propane tank into the ceiling, and make them terribly annoyed? And it worked!
I don’t dislike the visuals or the feel of the game, but I’m not in love with it either. I’ll keep an eye on it though! The current respawn times can get hosed though.

Hunt Showdown
I simply haven’t played enough to give it a review, but I’m liking it. Games can be excruciatingly slow with pubbies, or astonishingly quick. The idea that your character perma-dies is a good one, but I haven’t put in enough time to feel the threat from it yet.

TLOU Factions
The day they shut down the servers is the day I start smashing Veeg’s head in with a nail bat IRL just to feel something.

Karamazoo
This is cute! It’s a great game to play for ten minutes or so and make friends ~like ships in the night~ ^_^ . There are so many unlockables, and that is fairly daunting for such a simple game.

Slay the spire
Still playing this. I think I gave this some ludicrously high position, like 3rd in a previous year. Never been bettered, nothing comes close. Got over 300 hours on three different platforms and I’ve still only beat the heart with two characters.

Elden Ring
I don’t think I even played this year. Don’t need to. Game is so good I can just play it in my head from memory. Given the absurd quality of 2023 games in general, and the inevitable calm of next year, there is no chance that Shadow of the Erdtree doesn’t get in my top 3 for 2024. Unless Sekiro 2, Bloodborne remastered and Dark souls 4 all shadow drop in the next 11 months.

Sniper Elite 5
Never got around to finishing it, but there’s few things more satisfying than nailing a mission with no alerts, dependent on the horribly precise authentic shooting modifier. And lobotomising Nazis in excruciating detail. The asymmetric invasion mechanic is neat, but with maps that are so large and not quite enough penalty for camping, you can get invaded and literally forget about it a couple of minutes later with no issues. Sometimes it is magical, and you have a playable Enemy at the Gates mode. And then you get splattered by a Hail Mary grenade throw.

Humanity
Luckily I’ve built up a huge list of games that I only got a little bit through before some big honkin goose of a “one of the best games ever made until a better one comes out in two weeks” arrived through the year. This will assuredly keep me going for a couple of weeks sometime next year.
DEITY DOG

Pizza Tower. Good lord just port this to a console it’s loving impossible to play on keyboard also I have a Mac so it’s fundamentally impossible for me to play anyway.

Judgement
Everything about this game is good and high quality but I simply do not gel with this type of game at all, and didn’t enjoy it. Is it fair to call a game you don’t enjoy “good”? Evidently I think it is. I had the same issue with Persona 5 actually. It does make me grateful for all the money I won’t be spending on Yakuza at least.

Tetris Effect
You will, and this is true, not play anything more Tetris than this.

Pistol whip
This is fun poo poo. That’s all. Will get even the most waif-like sun neglected goon sweating.

Case of the Golden Idol
And…exactly the same thing happened with this game as Curse of the Obra Dinn
Blew through a huge chunk of the game in one day, and then got distracted and never went back to it, knowing I’d have forgotten everything crucial. I’m going to have to play both of these from the beginning another day.

Pavlov
Less so for the gameplay, more for the incurable lunacy you’ll see during it, especially in the TTK game mode. My first game involved everyone stripping naked in the showers and taking turns threatening yourself and everyone else with a grenade to prove you’re not the traitor. Will you make mortal enemies with a twelve year old Scottish child, or e best friends with someone speaking a language you don’t even recognise? Who loving knows.

Metal Hellsinger
When this game gets going it’s great - but with my soundbar it’s apparently loving impossible to get the audio delay right. It’s somewhat lacking in content, there’s a few levels and you may feel like replaying only a couple, and there is no allowance for variation in the rhythm (think of say, playing the drum track in Rock Band, except that you’re confined entirely to a single bass pedal), but when you’re fully in it playing that one great song, on fire and racking up atmospheric combos, it’s a great zen-hole.

No. 10
GOW Valhalla
Whoever decided that all new games should have late rougelite dlc additions, I think they were quite clever and I would send them an email of thanks. I couldn’t believe how well this coheres with the combat, and how the constraints breathe a wholly new life into combat, such that it feels almost unrecognisable from the base game. And it’s free! and it is so much fun. And it has a much meatier story and heaps of dialogue, far more than I’d expected. Better even than Returnal’s Tower, but it’s reminded me that I should give the Hitman Roguelike a try now.

No. 9
Chants of Sennaar
This was a wonderful game to backseat co-op. Technically, fine, I didn’t play it. But it was fun to watch and help out with. Mandatory stealth sections be damned, but it gave some variety. Sure the language systems themselves are a bit simplistic, to the point where a more complex one might’ve made some of it actually easier to solve with thought, but it’s a Sunday afternoon relax-a-thon and all the little people bobbing about are cute.

No. 8
Lies of P
I’m positive the only thing I’ve said about this on the forums is the game sucks poo poo and has dog poo poo bosses and the game can get hosed. I do have some real genuine criticisms of the game, but what it does well, or more accurately, what is replicates well is gold. It has a slightly more methodical beat to the combat than From games, but some excellent variety despite how it seems at first. The enemies are very well designed and animated, the world is interesting, the voice acting and music are all decent and isn’t too short or overly long. When you’re used to the combat and parrying and the timing of your own animations it has a wonderful flow.
The weapon system is appreciable new and different - finally beating the last boss by going back to school and starting over and ending up a with a weapon which is a giant gently caress off electric hammer, attached to a dagger handle so that I could prod it to death with just the right amount of speed/damage balance is inherently funny and interesting.

However

Fundamentally the game is stuck between the gulf of great but very specific mechanics and tricky enemies. This would be okay, if it was a case of needing to learn telegraphed attacks and knowing how best to retaliate on the fly. But it feels like the controls and the enemy behaviour were designed by two people who hate each other. Almost every single enemy has what I would call Rug Pull behaviour. “He’s raising his weapon…he’s about to swing….any moment now..almo-oh I’m dead”. There were some complaints about this in Elden Ring but after a couple of goes you would get it. Here, there is next to no rhythm to animations, I would guess 70% of attacks are parry-baiters, where it is held for a truly unreasonable amount of time and executed too fast to react to on an off beat. The time from tapping the parry button to executing it is ever so slightly too long, and makes some attacks, that if aren’t perfectly parried consecutively, will leave you completely stun locked. It’s difficult for its own sake, and that annoys me. Some other things are unnecessarily locked behind optional opportunity cost choices, like double dodging and specific stamina recovery types.

If the game was playable (and not immediately beatable) by intuitively parrying I think this would rocket into one of my favourite souls likes. But it is really not as much fun to need to count the Mississippi’s between an attack starting and finishing. If you come for the king, you’d best not introduce artificial delays to make it “different enough”.

No. 7
Spider-men, the twos of us
This is standard fare - which is to say it is an adventure game of exceptional polish, production quality and spectacle scope. What it is not, is a deep enough evolution of the systems or narrative of the previous two games. It is fun, it is an eye searing crash through virtual New York and it has the best traversal mechanic of probably any game made. It is better than 90% of the games out there, but it is at huge risk of becoming stale. A good game.

No. 6
Resident Evil 4
Okay now we’ve hit a gulf of enjoyment from the previous 3 games into what are all game of the year contenders and all would fit comfortably at high spots in a Best Game of All Time list.

I was so excited for the original Resi 4 that I made my dad import it from America six months before its PAL release on my birthday, along with a freeloader disc for the GameCube that - Thank God - still worked when you had to switch to disc 2 to keep playing the game. It was an absolute revelation then, a paradigm shift for all of gaming and redrawing the rules of Action games. Its legacy can’t be understated.

What we have now is one of the most faithful, and well deserved remakes ever made. Is it too similar to the original? Maybe, but with just slight changes to the mechanics it makes a fantastic game absolutely monumental. This is the closest thing so far to playing as John Wick.

No. 5
Armored Core 6
What can I say? From have done it again. Action Action Action Unexpected Psychological Horror Action Action

This game is so fast, and has such robots that it has assault boosted into the upper echelons of grinding, crunchy combat. It is Sekiro on rockets, but far more diverse and malleable.

It has music and voices and the sound of bullets pinging off armour because you’re just too far away from your target it has tanks kicking other tanks it has punching a mech in the head because you’re out of ammo it has endless incessant warning sounds because you’re being targeted by 35 enemies at the same time it has helicopters you can pierce with a thrust driven spike it has sleek robots with two phases it has lasers and wheels and hovering and napalm it has pilots screaming as their mech explodes it has gargantuan architecture it has shields it has buddies it has instant characters it has blinding light shows it has whips it has reloading at just the right time to set up maximum damage for a stagger it has Kirby decals it has I WONT MISS.

Combat distilled, yet a complete sensory overload you must cut through.

No. 4
Tears of The Kingdom
I had no love for Breath of the Wild. It moved away from what I always liked about Zelda - the melodies that burrows directly into your lizard brain, or the crafted dungeons and quests with character, the diversity of little gameplay loops. It lacked the soul of previous mainline Zelda games and replaced it with a far too empty plain, the worst horse controls of all time, and ethereal jazz that just faded into nothing.

Tears of the kingdom fixes most of these things. The world is far more alive, dungeons are back (and well mostly suck) but it is a more vibrant, tactile imaginative hyrule and full of personality.
It’s a real time sink and there is usually something to be found in every nook and cranny.

Mainly, how they managed to get this game to work without crashing, let alone on the switch is pure magic. This is far from my favourite Zelda, but it did recapture some of that old magic.

No.3
Baldurs Gate 3
Shadowheart is my wife.

Played this entirely in Co-op and for a start, it is probably the most comprehensive, expansive and detailed co-op game you’ll ever play, and the freedom it gives each player is astounding - how they programmed it probably something others will figure out years later.

For the game itself it is an absolutely titanic achievement. I really don’t have much else to say. It’s fun, it’s funny, it’s bittersweet, it allows the player an unprecedented playground and choice. Is it the best story ever told? No. It’s quite standard, but the intricacies and detail are found almost nowhere else. It’s superbly well acted (Karlach’s actor was robbed) and it is again, funny.

So much of this game’s achievement relies on its technical accomplishments, but it is also an incredible time. Play it! It was my shoe-in for game of the year. Until I went back to something I never finished

No 2.

Outer Wilds
Good god. One of the most intimate and painful narrative experiences I’ve encountered. It’s skewering at times. It is famous for making people cry. That’s well earned. I want to say nothing about this game because as has been writ over and over again, you should play it completely blind.

The overall theme has you come to discover has been uncomfortably close this year. But this game has been a comfort. It has helped me see beyond my circumstances, and look further into them too. The game has kept me up at night with thoughts, and not in an anxious way.

Please play it.

No. 1

Alan Wake 2
And finally, the game I never would have expected topping this list. An absolute work of art. A mixed-media interrogation of what art is, what it is to make art, and the pretentiousness of making art, and the sheer unbridled fun, silliness and audacity of making art.

I could talk about the graphics and the other monumental technical achievements within this game but that doesn’t matter. It kept me gripped. No other game has made me want to sit and watch a twenty minute film over a characters shoulder, nor one that informs why you’re playing the game and why the plot is the way it is - something so self-referential that you want to keep seeing how far it will go and never scoffing at the end.

In my mind, the greatest set piece of any game, ever, lies here and it is something only Remedy could do. This was a labour of love for 13 years and it deserves heaps of respect and praise.

Okay done! I wrote this on the notes app on my phone so please forgive any errors or sentences that just stop in the

I didn’t have time to do my top tracks so just put this on and repeatedly thump your head against the ceiling.

https://youtu.be/hZxTcixbfE8?si=VSgGyKcEag0ws_hK

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I need to edit my post to say that BP is in AC6 as Rusty and that’s why it’s a game of the year

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Neon white top 20 last year? Hell yeah everyone play that. All red medals bitch me :agesilaus:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VG it’s been long enough. Release the Gollum cut

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Gollum chanting intensifies

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Baldurs Gate will win, but I know in my bones, even knowing what a monumental once in a twenty year achievement BG3 is, Alan Wake II Gollum should win

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I wanna see what whack rear end game from 2009 suddenly drops into the top 10 by sheer coincidence

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Rarity posted:

Just had a sneak peak at VG's graphics, this is gonna be a good one y'all :munch:

VG’s graphics are for ladyveeg and Gollum’s eyes only

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

28. Diablo IV (Blizzard) (2023)
69 points. Nice. Voted for 15 times. Average of 4.6

Nice.

Lmao. 4.6 :dukedoge:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Haven’t even heard of a quarter of these games. The gently caress is an Elden ring

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Elden ring had most of last year since it released in late Feb and it hasn't had too many significant sales (going to 40-50% off at most) so it's not picking up a lot of stragglers for 2023.

Bet on the expansion though.

Oh yeah lmao Elden ring GOTY 2022/24

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Alan wake so high, thread failed

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Cyberpunk beating AW2? I’m coming in with the BAD VIBES :getin:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

To the goon who made Pentiment - please release it on PS5, I’m sure Microsoft won’t mind thanks

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I finally started Outer Wilds too after some bullyingenthusiastic pushing and immediately crashed my ship on the moon and I think this is gonna happen a lot!

I can’t wait until you

spoilered to prevent spoilers

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

drat I’ve already played all of Microline’s recommendations except for Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Which has just finished downloading :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

69 lmbo

:Edit: dammit