Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey there, everyone. I'm currently on the look out for some microphones or headsets that can pick up my quiet voice while I'm on a videocall with family. I can't really talk too loudly or else I'll be bothering my apartment neighbors, so I've been having to talk in a lower volume while on the phone which works out okay either because the phone's mic is right next to my mouth, or the phone's mic is pretty good. However, trying to videocall with my family on Discord doesn't really work out since they can't hear me then, on neither the phone nor desktop client.

I'm probably going to purchase a webcam since my parents love the idea of being able to see me instead of just hearing me over the phone, and I'd like to also pick up a dedicated microphone or headset that could hear me decently even when I have to talk quietly. Any recommendations for good microphones that can pick up quiet voices would be excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Turn off discord's noise gate.

Try something like voicemeter so you can apply simple gain, etc to your mic. Boost gain so your whisper voice is ~-18dB to -12dB. I forgot if it offers compression as well, but you'd probably want that to avoid being super loud if you talk normal.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I'll mess around with discord, but I just wanted to ask if this is the Voicemeter you meant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voicemeeter Just checking, because a lot of different links came up when I searched for it, and I just want to make sure that I'm not downloading the wrong version.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

god please help me posted:

I'll mess around with discord, but I just wanted to ask if this is the Voicemeter you meant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voicemeeter Just checking, because a lot of different links came up when I searched for it, and I just want to make sure that I'm not downloading the wrong version.
Yes. They have different versions for different numbers of channels. Voicemeter Banana has two inputs/outputs.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Just wanted to pop back in here, and say thanks! I was able to have movie nights with my family now, and they can hear me just fine. :)