Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samfucius posted:

Hey Goat, Kiyoshi Kurosawa is in the veterans pool twice, once near the top and again at the bottom.

Edit: he's also in the solo directors pool twice

Deleted. Turns out he was nominated twice and I put him in both times. Whoops. Should be resolved now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I voted. It's time to vot!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a few in the solo pool that are repeated from earlier. I spotted Argento, Deodato, Koji Shiraishi and Tobe Hooper

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

There's a few in the solo pool that are repeated from earlier. I spotted Argento, Deodato, Koji Shiraishi and Tobe Hooper

Everyone should be on there twice. Argento should be in the solo pool and the veteran pool. The problem is if I recorded twice in which case they’re on there four times, twice in each pool. I THINK I caught all of those now?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone should be on there twice. Argento should be in the solo pool and the veteran pool. The problem is if I recorded twice in which case they’re on there four times, twice in each pool. I THINK I caught all of those now?

Immediately outing myself as just scrolling straight down to the vote link, sorry! I have now read the whole post

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm a big dumbo who forgot to actually update his renominated teams. Ah well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Heads up. My mother is having surgery the day after Christmas. So I don’t really know how that’s gonna go with Bracketology. Maybe everything will be fine and I’ll do the work to keep myself busy. Maybe Bracketology will be the last thing I’m thinking of. I dunno. But keep voting and I’ll keep working with the idea of putting it all together the 26th. We’ll see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Don’t forget to vote for the 2024 Bracketology field. And have a happy and safe Christmas.

Vote for our Bracketology '24 Field of 64 until 12 noon EST Dec 26th!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nominations are now locked. We had 15 ballots. No one made all 15 ballots. Two nominees made 11. Should be a wide field. My mother is going in for surgery so I'm gonna work on all of this this afternoon to stay sane and hopefully have a bracket and good news for you later today.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Nominations are now locked. We had 15 ballots. No one made all 15 ballots. Two nominees made 11. Should be a wide field. My mother is going in for surgery so I'm gonna work on all of this this afternoon to stay sane and hopefully have a bracket and good news for you later today.

Wishing your family the best, thanks for putting this all together

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WeaponX posted:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

WeaponX posted:

:same: good luck Goat and Mama Goat

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Thanks for doing this for us horror hounds despite all this. Wishing you and + your mom all the best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mama Goat is out of surgery and sounds ok. And we have a bracket!

Full Spreadsheet

This year's tournament will be hosted by some of the horror hosts that introduced many of us to so many gems and pieces of trash. Svengoolie, Elvira, Joe Bob Briggs, and the gentlemen from Mystery Science Theater 3000. Surely all of us have some experience watching some really random crap with those folks and now we get to give a little back and come up with our own random crap.

Some vague notes? The nominees who got 11 votes each were Ishiro Honda and Horror Noire. Horror Noire actually got 11 in both of its pools. You can look at the breakdown of how many votes each nominee got in each pool and its kind of interesting as some just did well or evenly in both categories but some really benefited from one over the other. And nearly all our nominees got at least a single vote. 2 didn't but we won't shame them by naming them. But I dunno, I think there's some interesting things in the numbers. Like Tamil Terror got only 1 vote in the Team Pool but 5 in the Veteran pool securing its spot in a Play In. Or Dan Curtis drew only 2 in the Rookie pool but 6 in the Solo pool. I dunno. I find it kind of interesting.

I'll try and do better with stats and stuff this year. Life permitting. As for now I've created the entire first round schedule and I'll draw the first week and post it on January 1st. Or maybe a bit before. We'll see. But Jan 1st is the official start time and you can expect a new round every Monday at noon EST. I hope. Knock on wood.

Let me know if you see any problems. Let me know if you have any questions. I tried to avoid anyone facing themselves in the first round so if you see that happening let me know so I can swap someone around. Thanks for the well wishes and hopefully things go well so I can keep this thing on the rails for another fun year.

edit: Actually I spotted my first mistake. Turns out its a leap year so just copy and pasting the dates didn't work. Gonna have to fix the schedule.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 26, 2023

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Good to hear Mama Goat is fine!

Still kicking myself for not actually updating my teams, so dumb!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I too am kicking myself about my poor draft prep and the mistakes and oversights I made.

Bringing me back to my fantasy sports days. Have to live all season with the mistakes of my draft when I was too distracted to do it right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Happy New Year! And time for a new season of Bracketology! Lets do it!

And hey in case you haven’t met, this is Svengoolie. A Chicago based horror host for over 40 years Sven combines ties to Chicago’s famous improv comedy, puppet work, sketch comedy, parody music, sound effects, and lots of dumb dad jokes to present both classic horror films from the past and some real trash. In a lot of ways Sven has been my inspiration for how I’ve been “producing” Bracketology so it makes sense to introduce him into this. If you wanna get a taste of him you can find some clips on Youtube but if you are a weirdo who still has cable and have a MeTV affiliate you can catch him every Saturday night at 8 PM.

But hey, lets get on to the movies!

Sven's 15 Seed Play In: (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Mark Goldblatt’s Dead Heat vs. (Goat’s The REC Dudes) Paco Plaza’s Sister Death vs. Freddie Francis’ Tales From The Crypt

Not a bad way to start the tourney as we get some 80s trash, some 70s Amicus classics, and a touch of recent international flair. Its seems like it could be a tough matchup too. Dead Heat is… a cult classic? A fever dream children of the 80s aren’t quite sure they really watched? Its a weird one and its Shane Black/80s problematic sensibility could sink it but this forum generally loves them some 80s fare warts and all. Plaza’s Sister Death is a bit of a polarizing one it seems with some genuinely loving its atmosphere and tone and others finding it a derivative bore. Its actually a prequel to Plaza’s generally well received Veronica from 2017 but this followup seemed to fly pretty under the radar. And Francis deals up Tales From the Crypt. Like the Cryptkeeper. Ok, maybe not the one we associate with it but still. Peter Cushing and Joan Collins and that classic 70s pulp and atmosphere.

Sequel Alert: Right away. As said Sister Death is actually a prequel to Plaza’s 2017 Veronica. Its been years since I saw Veronica and I haven’t seen Sister Death so I can’t speak to important the connection is or whether you’d be missing or spoiling something not watching Veronica. So I dunno. V is on Netflix too and I’ll make it available for anyone who needs it but I have no idea if its required viewing or just a Conjuring-esque cinematic universe connection. You know the type.

Dead Heat is available for streaming on hoopla, Plex, Shudder, Roku, and TubiTV.
Sister Death is available for streaming on Netflix.
Tales From The Crypt is available for streaming on Crackle, Cultpix, fuboTV, Plex, Redbox, Roku, Tubi TV, and Xumo.

Sven's 16 Seed Play In: Andy Milligan’s Torture Dungeon vs. (Darth’s Team Metro Noir Horror Anime) Yoshiaki Kawajiri’s Demon City Shinjuku vs. (mbd’s Team Eerie Eire) Jon Wright’s Tormented

If the first set of films represents one side of Bracketology in full with the cult classics, big names, and familiar elements this one shows the other side of Bracketology. The WTF?! side. We got anime of course because the RNG still hates me and wants to start my year off the same way. But hey, no rape apparently. We have a really weird sounding teen british camp trash sorta thing that people seem to either really, really hate or really, really love. And we have Andy Milligan. And… something. I don’t mean to be flip in this one but I honestly have no idea what to say about any of these films. This is the Bracketology debut for both of our team members… in fact its everyone’s debut this week… but this will be Milligan’s 3rd go still searching for his first victory. Can he pull one off in this truly wild threesome of niche deep cut films? Will anime continue to haunt me with a win? Or will angsty edgelord British teens win out in the end? They are scary.

Torture Dungeon is available for streaming on Midnight Pulp, Fright Night, and TubiTV.
Demon City Shinjuku is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, Cineverse, Crackle, Freevee, Hidive, Hoopla, Plex, Pluto, Retro Crush, and Viewster.
Tormented is available of streaming on AMC+, DirectTV, Freevee, Shout TV, Roku, and TubiTV.

Welcome back, everyone and here’s to a happy and healthy 2024. Bracketology starting strong with a little bit of everything. Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, 80s schlock, bug gently caress crazy anime, over the top camp, whatever the hell Andy Milligan is, and a movie from one of my teams so everyone gets a handicap. We’re back, baby.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 8th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
4. Ishirō Honda vs. 13. Puberty Sucks
5. #ThrowbackThursday vs. 12. Freddy’s Nightmares

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Figures that my Fresh Styles team pulls its most polarizing/weakest entry right off the bat. But hey, maybe people today aren't violently allergic to Joe Piscopo like they were in the '80s.

Let's goooooo! Happy New Year to the bracketologists!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got a feeling Dead Heat will be a crowd pleaser unless there's something exceptionally objectionable. But that's a crap shoot of a matchup since they all seem like they can be hit or mess with different people.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I've only ever watched Dead Heat in theatres with crowds that were absolutely stoked to see it, it's so odd to see it considered tepid here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I only remember watching it when I was young and it made an impression on a sick day. But one of those home sick from school with a fever and not entirely sure what I saw impressions. So we'll see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dead Heat is definitely a lot of fun but it's not some sort of perfect masterpiece or anything. I'd probably vote for it over Tales From the Crypt but with another film in the mix who knows.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah, first movies of 2024!

Dead Heat has some really high highs, specifically the Chinatown meat store and the disintegrating love interest (tho what is it with the Blacks and killing off women in sort of hosed up ways?). The rest is sort of boring, Lethal Weapon knockoff with most jokes not landing. I did laugh at the Casablanca homage in the end. Overall, ok I guess?

Sister Death has far fewer things going for it, namely nicely framed shots and a very good poster. The movie itself is dreadfully boring. Also another data point for my thesis that if there a synth score in a modern horror movie it is usually a last ditch effort to save a total stinker. This one is especially egregious because it’s so completely out of place, made me laugh.

Tales From The Crypt I’m not rewatching, and like any anthology it benefits from the bad parts being forgettable without hurting the thing overall. I enjoyed it! Not the best anthology, or best Tales From the Crypt even, but it’s enough to beat the other movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched Tormented and it was exactly as expected with an extra splash of gore. Wasn't terribly special so I'll have to see what the other ones offer

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still giggling at Torture Dungeon. It's so awful, but ridiculous enough that I can't help but laugh. Usually for awful movies you go away sighing, not smiling. The main actress must have had a boob hanging out for 80% of the movie and the other actors couldn't stop staring at it. The motor boats in the lakes, the power lines in the fields. I think I even heard a jet plane taking off or landing during a scene. God drat.

The Game of Thrones analogy isn't too far off to be honest.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Tormented went a bit harder than I expected it to in the gore department. It's not the sort of thing I usually end up voting for though, so we'll see. I'll probably end up voting for anime.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
First matchup: sister death was the only new one for me to watch. Not bad, a little slow at times but some neat use of imagery and the finale was pretty sick. Gunna go with Dead Heat here tho, just a dumb flick that I like too much.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Sven's 15 Seed Play In: (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Mark Goldblatt’s Dead Heat vs. (Goat’s The REC Dudes) Paco Plaza’s Sister Death vs. Freddie Francis’ Tales From The Crypt

Tales from the Crypt
My review from Oct 28, 2019:
A catacombs tour group are forcibly told a series of tales, in which bad people get comeuppance. Any resemblance between said people and the tour group's members is purely coincidental.

I liked this quite a bit. Part of that might have been from how favorably it compared to The House that Dripped Blood, which I'd watched earlier this month, but even without that contrast, this would have been a cool, gruesome batch of stories. The acting is good, the sets are tasty, and a good sense of who the main characters are as people (beyond their immediate circumstances) is communicated in each segment. Loved that lake of fire shot in the finish. A solid anthology, though I wish they'd picked a more high-energy segment to go in last place.

Sister Death
My review from Jan 01, 2024:
A young woman with a miracle in her past moves to a reopened Spanish convent, where strange occurrences and secrets start to emerge.

As though the setting didn't give the story enough of an atmosphere to begin with, the scenes are saturated in shadows and a heavy, brooding sound design which draws on both traditional and electronic horror scores for its form. At the same time, there's a lot of fairly stock horror imagery, which, at least in the moment of its utilization, feels a bit disconnected from any actual plot development, beyond further unsettling the protagonist. It's executed well enough, it just ends up feeling a bit hollow, and even undermines the believability of the characters to a degree. There's the heart of a good story here, it's just buried under too much genericizing cruft. Maybe I'm extra down on it because the quality of the set design and other production work is so much higher than the story's ambition.

Don't have a review written for Dead Heat, but that one's getting my vote because I remember it having just more life to it than either of its competitors.

STAC Goat posted:

Sven's 16 Seed Play In: Andy Milligan’s Torture Dungeon vs. (Darth’s Team Metro Noir Horror Anime) Yoshiaki Kawajiri’s Demon City Shinjuku vs. (mbd’s Team Eerie Eire) Jon Wright’s Tormented

Torture Dungeon
My review from Jan 01, 2024:
A bloodthirsty noble cuts down the competition and indulges his kinks.

With stiff acting, cramped framing, jerky camera-work, and faltering deliveries, this is Andy Milligan's attempt at a medieval drama, with a sloshing of schlocky sex and violence to appeal to his usual audiences. In some ways, it feels like The Undead (1957) fused with Bloody Pit of Horror, though the two sides rarely feel as though they fit together. A number of the actors don't let their awkwardness with their lines hold them back from overacting, and combined with abrupt scene cuts (sometimes interrupting musical cues) this lends the whole thing a weird lurching momentum, just barely keeping its weak foundation from crumbling under the melodrama. Even if you usually have a tolerance or fondness for Milligan's peculiarities, this may be an effort to get through, though some late-stage attempts at genuine pathos do make for a jarring turn that might aid in engagement.

Tormented
My review from Jan 04, 2024:
British teenagers in their twenties are harassed by the ghost of a boy they bullied into suicide.

Consistently unlikable characters, jerky editing, blue tint saturation, failed attempts at 'edgy' humor... it's a real slice of the '00s. Normally, I'm in favor of horror films taking the time to build a sense of who the characters are, but this one just keeps going, and doesn't show any further depth to them, so all it adds to the film is making it more of a tiresome, grating excursion. And it's already dealing with British high-schoolers, so it's not like it needed the help.

Even the eventual deaths of the characters doesn't help much, because it just makes the survivors that much more strident and irritating. At least the score and music choices are nice at times, and there's enough intentional stupidity to a death or two to add some much-needed uplift, but it's nowhere near enough to make up for how unpleasant it is to endure the presence of the characters for the film's length.

No review for Demon City Shinjuku, but I've seen it enough times that I'm comfortable giving it the vote over the deeply flawed execution of Torture Dungeon and the deeply unbearable characters of Tormented.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
Dead Heat

A lot of the Piscopo jokes are obviously of their time and over the top, but man does this movie have a lot of fun moments. The effects work with the initial monster and the reanimated animal fights are incredibly memorable, and Vincent Price showing up at the end to give his sales pitch as only he can is just incredible. The extended bit of Roger and the other undead goon just pouring bullets into each other is my personal favorite bit of the movie. Seconding that this is not a classic by any means, but absolutely a movie I'll think back on with a real big soft spot.

Sister Death

Really intriguing from the start, but ultimately is a bit underwhelming given that setup. I'm maybe unfairly comparing this to last year's The Orphanage which felt very similar thematically, but the explanation felt a bit flat overall. I did really appreciate the slow burn of it, but just didn't really jive with the payoff. Not a bad movie by any means, but just didn't click for me.

Tales From the Crypt

As much as I enjoy anthologies, this one just didn't really work for me either. Grimsdyke and the Monkey's Paw ending were the high points, but had a hard time getting into the stories since it just seemed to be a series of assholes getting what they had coming. The first two especially felt this way; I think the more ironic or inventive punishments of the last two are more what I wanted out of this type of story.

Ultimately have to go with Dead Heat out of this group

totally losing my mime fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 5, 2024

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I'm going to have to go for Dead Heat over Sister Death and Tales From the Crypt as well. The other movies weren't terrible, but they just weren't as fun. Sister Death had some great dread going on. The floating dead sister was creepy as hell and looked cool. The eyeball scene was great. Tales From the Crypt was just a baseline anthology with nothing that stood out other than the time period it was filmed in. That was fun to see again.

For the second set of movies, I'm going with Torture Dungeon. Despite being awful in so many ways, it kept me entertained. I'd love to sit down and watch it again with a group of friends and have a few laughs before they start hitting me for choosing such a crap movie. Demon City Shinjuku was just a baseline anime to me. It looked great, but the story is pretty basic with a few interesting characters, and fights, but not too much beyond that. Tormented was just bad. I didn't care for it much at all. Nothing was enjoyable about it, and it had too many holes at the end which just kicks you when you're already down.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think imma go with torture Dungeon as well.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sister Death was way better than I was expecting, but the butcher scene from Dead Heat could just about carry the movie all by itself.

I am a shameful horror fan, having no idea that a 1972 tales from the crypt movie even existed. I love, love, love red acrylic paint blood too!

Over here in China I just can't find a reliable connection to Tormented or Torture Dungeon, if anyone could throw a link my way I'd be happy as a clam.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

So yes, I’m the one who has been torturing everyone with Andy Milligan films every year. Ultimately I just find the guy endlessly fascinating. Starting as an off-off-broadway menace of experimental shenanigans and becoming an unabashed pioneer of underground queer film, a 42nd street regular, and by all accounts, a truly unpleasant man. Milligan said he was “born angry” and so many of his films are seething with rage. His animosity towards women, and particularly mothers, is ever present. He supposedly yelled out “she was a bitch!” during his long estranged mothers eulogy. A guy who wasn’t above casting lovers who would go on to become legitimate domestic terrorists (really). His films are chock full of sexual misconduct, incest, brutal violence, and everything in between. It’s a little hard recommending Andy Milligan to others given just how nasty he, and his films, can be.

But his DIY, slapped together, independent filmmaking is something to behold. He had a loyal John Waters ala Staten Island Crew that would film things like Torture Dungeon on micro-budgets. A true tortured artist, died penniless and destitute. Watching his films you wonder, why did this guy even want to make these? He seems to hate everything and everyone. But it’s that intense desire to create despite the repulsion of nearly everyone who watches his films that draws me to his works. They should make a biopic about this guy some day!

So Torture Dungeon, actually a pretty good draw for Milligan. It’s far sillier than some of his other films. Milligans trademark bare bones budget is on full display, cheap sets, cheap costumes, framing so tight you feel like the screen is closing in on you. High school production have better scenery. Certainly better wigs. And since it’s a Milligan, plenty of boobs, butts, and dicks. It’s less “Torture Dungeon” and more “chatting in a Staten Island backyard garden with a horny hunchback”. But it’s incredibly goofy, endearingly so. No attempt to recreate any sort of medieval time period, just real schlock.

Tormented just wasn’t my jam at all. Yucky in the not fun way. Demon City Shinjuku was good. Solid stuff and I wouldn’t be mad if that team moved on, but my vote is for Andy Milligan and Torture Dungeon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Torture Dungeon is so bad. Like so bad. Its basically just a bunch of Shakespeare in the Park actors improving scenes in something vaguely resembling a script while someone films them in the park. Its terrible. I can't find a single redeeming thing. Maybe some of the actors are competent? But its terrible. And Ableist. And vaguely misogynistic. And goes with rape and incest because of course. This film took me from bored to pissed off to bored again. All I could think watching this movie is why anyone could watch it and walk away thinking it was worth showing to anyone or that the person who made it should be doing this with his life.

Demon City also super bored me. I'm the anime hater so this obviously wasn't gonna change my mind but I swear I went in as open as I could. I even switched from dubbed to subtitled. But I was just so bored. I see people saying its a fine or mediocre anime and it probably is. Compared to Torture Dragon it seems like Citizen Kane. But I'm the anime hater. I don't enjoy the art style, the animation style, the themes, the tropes, the general feeling that its all made for 12 year old boys who someone should probably be paying more attention to. I just get nothing from it at all.

Tormented is a lovely generic slasher cooked in bad aughts sensibility. Its really bad and the only redeeming thing I can say about it is that seeing Tom Hooper made me remember I want to rewatch Black Sails. If I'm being generous there's a dry comedy in there for sure and maybe it resonates with some, especially at the time, but its inconsistent and the film takes itself seriously way more than its any kind of camp. And its just boring and bad.

But I did sit through Tormented in one go, which I can't say for the other two films. And its the only one of the three nominees I could imagine wanting to watch another film from. So I guess it gets my vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat I gotta get back in habit. It’s Saturday. That means you have just about… 43 hours to vote in our first matchup? Same time to fit those movies in this weekend especially if you’re one of us millions snowed in. And if not hey you can still watch movies. Why cares about going outside and doing things with people. That’s why we have Bracketology. And if you don’t leave your house you don’t somehow end up taking part in an insurrection. So double win.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 8th (or when I get to it)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I watched the OG Tales From the Crypt for a Spook A Doodle challenge at some point and I liked it a lot. The 70s Amicus style is almost a double edged sword, on one hand you have great 70s styling and on the other hands it’s a lot of indiscernible British dudes with the same haircut. And somewhat unfairly, a lot of their stories have been told to death since. But there’s still a lot of horror flair here and I especially love this version of the “Monkeys Paw” story.

Dead Heat I have had on my short life for a while so I’m happy to finally check it out. It’s a pretty fun mix of horror and the most generic buddy cop formula (there’s even a police chief to tell them they are out of line!). I agree with a lot of the sentiment here, some fun 80s schlock when you can find a way to deal with Joe Pescipo. My god, what did we as a society ever see in him!? He plays the part like someone trying to play a hack 80s comedian. Sister Death was a bit of a bore so oh well, this one’s still a fun genre bender and ultimately my vote goes to Dead Heat this round.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 7, 2024

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Whoever said that Torture Dungeon was a bunch of Shakespeare in the park actors was spot on.

Edit: it was Goat. Good call, Goat.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe
Torture Dungeon

Well, the title certainly describes the experience. Some vaguely promising setup but falls apart pretty quick. Others have summarized my feelings pretty well, but I'll highlight the reina ex machina at the end that clearly seems improvised and a desperate attempt to make sure the happy ending is at least legitimized politically. You gotta appreciate the attention to detail.

Demon City Shinjuku

Was also pretty into the initial setup but it just kind of gets plodding, and having it capped off by a pretty succinct final fight doesn't help the dragging middle. Watched this dubbed as well and the accent work was more confusing that anything else. Has a lot of style and great visuals, to be sure, but mostly felt like waiting to get to the fireworks factory.

Tormented

This movie goes out of its way to focus on Mace Tyrell looking for a screw and then not repairing a paper cutter while also trying to be seductive and it may be the more interesting story. Pretty by the numbers plot with not a ton of interesting deaths or compelling characters, minus the ghost who still has asthma. I hope the NHS still covers your inhaler in the afterlife.

It's close, but going to go with Tormented if only to see more from this team

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Torture Dungeon should be good bad, but it’s just plain bad. It’s just too amateurish for me to really be a serious contender.

Tormented Definitely a time capsule for that time in the early 2000s when England was really self-satisfied and genuinely thought they were cool. Ironically, that’s the first movie my Eerie Eire team draws. I pretty much hated every character but their violent deaths didn’t give me any satisfaction, I suppose I’m not really the target audience for slasher movies. Overall quite disliked this.

Demon City doesn’t have much going for it other than some interesting monster design and a couple of nods to Blade Runner. Mostly boring but I didn’t hate anything about it either.

Oh what a round when the anime is the least objectionable movie in a three-way competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Play ins. They deliver some trash.