Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Having rewatched Cirque du Freak and maybe not liking it as much as I did when I first saw it, I expected I might vote against my team. Something I felt this time is that there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love for the source material. Even though I never read the books, the film seems at its best when just having fun with some of the performances; the plot and set-up isn't given much focus.

And then Innkeepers almost had my vote, but lost me with the last shot. I kind of felt like Ti West couldn't help himself there. It was a close call, but I will stick with Cirque du Freak. I just found it more entertaining, despite its flaws.

Still unsure about Trance vs Deadly Friend. I never really liked the latter, but I recognize that Trance is kind of a mess (and not very horror-y). I have yet to re-watch it though. I think if I get something more out of a second viewing, I could end up giving it the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trance was an ok neo noir twisty thriller of the time even if 2013 seems a bit late for it. Carried well by the three leads. I think it falls into the trap of not being as clever as it wants to be and the last act twists either come from relatively out of nowhere or don’t feel like they close the loop. Like after all is said and done I still have no idea why everything happened. It wasn’t bad but it’s flawed enough for me to vote for Wes.

Deadly Friend is similarly an alright watch but flawed. There’s an interesting element in there somewhere of a play on the Frankenstein story and where the Swanson character’s consciousness struggles for dominance over the robot. But the film doesn’t really lean into that and it feels kind of mixed in themes and tones. My understanding is that’s basically because Craven and the studio were at odds as they wanted him to make it more Elm Street or something and he got frustrated. You can definitely see some conflict and messiness there. At the same time that might benefit it by turning it into the weird quasi camp film that produces memes. Dunno. Far from my favorite Craven but good enough to get my vote. Trance might be the slightly better made film but I like Wes.

I haven’t gotten around to watching Innkeepers yet but I always liked it and was never bothered by it’s slow pace or relative lack of payoff. I like moody spooky films as I recall the first time I saw it passed the ultimate test and resulted in me spooking myself when I turned the lights off.

Cirque wasn’t half bad but it kind of has the problem of a ton of book adaptions and especially ya fantasy stuff ones. There’s a lot of content from the books not necessarily trimmed or worked in well enough. A lot of world building and sequel setup and characters and elements that don’t feel fleshed out or especially important to the story at hand. There’s a whole cast of quality actors in that carnival crew that really could have been cut or skimmed down since they don’t really factor into the main story and don’t get enough time in the film to make a mark as a side plot. They’re just kind of there and there’s a lot of stuff like that. And then that takes away from any time to establish the stuff that does matter like the boring lead’s relationships with his family, frenemy, and love interest. Ultimately it wasn’t a bad watch but I wouldn’t call it a good film. So I’m leaning comfortably to Innkeepers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Deadly Friend is trying to not be a Wes Craven movie, but with frankly fortuitous meddling by the studio turned into a very Craven movie – not in the NOES or Scream vein, but the amazing Shocker. The obvious highpoint is of course the baseball scene, which is famous far beyond the actual movie, but the whole thing is just thoroughly enjoyable. Notably strong sexual chemistry between the male lead and his best friend, Swanson totally sidelined, hilariously enough.

Trance is pretty fun – Danny Boyle’s a stylish director and he makes a slick, sexy thriller with the only horror element being a brief shot of a decomposing corpse. Probably taking a bit too many twists and turns, but overall I enjoyed it. Wish it had been more about art – the best parts were the very beginning describing lost art and the credits with the painting unmade. Lol at the gratuitous shaved cooch shot being a semi plot point.

Easy vote for Deadly Friend but I also had fun with Trance.

The Innkeepers is just such a chill and cozy ghost story, with West using an internet screamer video to tell the audience that you absolutely can’t trust him to not pull off cheapest possible scare ever. He never does, but I was terrified throughout. Love it.

Cirque du Freaque is way, way better than I expected. Young Adult is quite frankly the worst and most insulting set of cliches you can hoist upon an audience. Probably worse than Marvel since it spreads into every genre instead of just staying confined to one type of movie. Why not just make something for young adults that's not the same as every other thing for them? But this one is fighting back really hard with an amazing cast, a lot of style and a lot of jokes that actually land. Still comes to a standstill whenever its mandatory YA content time.

Shame, but could have beat some worse movies. Just not Innkeepers.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

STAC Goat posted:

There’s a lot of content from the books not necessarily trimmed or worked in well enough. A lot of world building and sequel setup and characters and elements that don’t feel fleshed out or especially important to the story at hand. There’s a whole cast of quality actors in that carnival crew that really could have been cut or skimmed down since they don’t really factor into the main story and don’t get enough time in the film to make a mark as a side plot. They’re just kind of there and there’s a lot of stuff like that. And then that takes away from any time to establish the stuff that does matter like the boring lead’s relationships with his family, frenemy, and love interest.

I had a similar take but a different conclusion. I remember hearing that the movie was bad, but when I watched the actual freak show scene where all of their characters do their things I thought it was great. It was the most invested I ever got in the movie. And in the context of the books it isn't sequel setup, the main character leaves the circus at the end of the first book and never returns.

I loved the first book and hated all of the sequels that I bothered to read because I was interested in the traveling ensemble, dammit. The actual book series just turns into a story about a petty, traditionalist vampire clan. No other freaks allowed.

So if the book sequels suck, why not overdevelop all of these side characters that canonically go nowhere and make something good?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh boy I’m late. Sorry. A day.

Its a shutout win for Wes Craven! The first of our season. A little surprising since Danny Boyle is a popular dude and Trance generally seemed well received. But I guess meme power wins out for Wes and sends him in the Sweet Sixteen. And his opponent will be the modern team up of Ti West and Adam Wingard in #ThrowbackThursday as West’s Innkeepers nearly pulls out a shutout of its own but still get s a decisive win over the YA adaption. Sadly that means the end of the line for Kangra’s Puberty Rocks and Rage Virus. Rough week for Kangra. I feel ya. But we have our first Sweet Sixteen matchup.

Time to set another one.

1. (Samfucius’ I Ain't Never Seen This Before) Kyle Edward Ball’s Skinamarink vs. 8. (Goat’s Lewton Bus) Mark Robson’s The Seventh Victim vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Pulse

We’re gonna finish off Svengoolie’s Dungeon with another threeway thanks to lhe tie between Kurosawa and Lewton Bus last week. And we get Mark Robson returning with another film that maybe leans more thriller than horror with more progressive themes and ideas to chew on but maybe not enough modern movement to keep the bus going. But Kurosawa brings arguably his most popular film with Pulse, a movie that sounds super depressing and one I really don’t wanna watch. But one many, MANY horror fans have seen and love which seems like it would make it the favorite this week. But three ways are tricky and we have a #1 seed in here and Sam’s team of unique films brings one of last year’s most unique, talked about, and polarizing horror films in Skinamarinik. A film that hit perfectly for many but not all. One that seems very much “love or hate it” in an experimental sense. It brings recent buzz into a fight against cult classic and foundational trailblazer. If you ask me this is a drat interesting matchup and even if I think I know who will win and don’t really watch 2 out of 3 movies its still a really interesting one to see how it plays out.

Skinamarink is available for streaming on Shudder, AMC+, and Hulu.
The Seventh Victim is out there and available upon request.
Pulse is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, AMC+, Crackle, Hoopla, Peacock, Plex, Vudu, and Tubi.

7. (Goat’s Bracketology Redux) Steve Beck’s Thir13en Ghosts vs. 15. (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Bigas Luna’s Anguish

Low key Thirteen Ghosts was the film I most wanted on the Bracketology Redux team because its somehow the perfect example of combing William Castle’s zany, gimmicky nature and remaking it with the cringey loud chaotic vibes on the early 2000s. Its 2000s as gently caress which you might say is good or bad but its also really got the spirit of Castle’s original and style in there somewhere. Is it a winner? I have no idea. I wouldn’t even call it a good movie. But its a perfect example of the team concept and generally a crowd pleaser? But what is Anguish? I’m honestly not sure. Perusing a bunch of reviews left me fairly confused besides spoiling the apparent twist the film makes. I’ve kept those out of the write-ups for you but I suggest avoiding reviews if you wanna stay clean. It sounds like a lot and maybe enough to take down a really dumb nostalgia ride? Team Fresh Styles hoping for the big upset and they could have it. Or maybe Redux will return to the Sweet Sixteen?

Thir13en Ghosts is out there and available upon request.
Anguish is available to stream on Full Moon.

That’s our week, and the last week in Svengoolie’s Dungeon with him and his friends. Next week we switch dungeons to Elvira’s but we got out with an extra helping of movies and what looks like 5 very interesting entries. Maybe not all ones that will hit with all people but definitely no clear bombs or junk in here this week. Well… there is my team/movie. So maybe you can count on that one losing. But who knows? Its Bracketology.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Feb 19th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Elvira's 16 Seed Play In: Team Drowning in Atmosphere vs. The Return of the Bride of the Remake's Ghost! vs. Undying Love
Elvira's 15 Seed Play In: M. Night Shyamalan vs. Life affirming Austrians vs. Álex de la Iglesia

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Hell yeah. I was one of the people who absolutely adored Skinamarink, it and Mad God were the reasons I put the team together in the first place. It really does capture that feeling of being alone in a house when you're really young. I'm happy it has some real competition in Pulse, a movie that I'd vote for in many, many matchups. The scene with the ghost having its momentary stumble is a wonderfully successful way to make things feel even more wrong. I'll watch the third movie in the matchup with an open mind but it'll be hard to beat Skinamarink for me. I hope y'all don't hate it, but if you do at least you watched it.

Also Thirteen Ghosts slaps. The trailer scared the poo poo out of me when it came out.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I love Pulse so much

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I love Pulse so much

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well I guess I'm finally gonna watch Skinamarink!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That first match-up is wild. I liked The Seventh Victim but I don't think it is on the level of either of its opponents. Pulse is a masterpiece and will probably hit with a lot of folks, but I'm one of the people who really, really was locked in with Skinamarink - like straight up holding my hands in front of my face at some points (I also watched it on a big TV, in bed, pitch black, and stoned which probably added to the effect). Skinamarink is going to get my vote but I know it's a pretty divisive one.

I haven't seen Thir13en Ghosts in probably 20 years, and I've never seen Anguish, so I'll try to get to both of those this week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thir13en Ghosts gets a lot of mileage out of that set design, but in the end I do feel like those early 2000s aesthetics drag it down somewhat. In particular I'm talking about how they handle the ghosts, with all of the quick cutting and strobe lights and basically just doing everything to not really show them for more than a few seconds at a time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skinamarink rules, it's inventive and ethereal and brilliant.

Unfortunately, it's up against Pulse which is one of the greatest films ever made.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Berzerker posted:

(I also watched it on a big TV, in bed, pitch black, and stoned which probably added to the effect).

I'm about to watch and I'm following these directions to the letter

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Seventh Victim was pretty cool. Wasn't expecting something it to be so bleak

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat Anguish was super good. Can't believe I had never heard of it

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Stoked for every single movie this round!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Skinamarink vs. The Seventh Victim vs. Pulse: 7/10 vs. 8/10 vs. 9/10

Thir13en Ghosts vs. Anguish: 6/10 vs. 8/10

I feel mildly guilty about voting for both of my films in these matches, but that's just the way it shook out. Skinamarink and The Seventh Victim were both new to me; I liked Skinamarink's ambition and distinctiveness more than the actual film, and The Seventh Victim was great up until the last five minutes. Pulse is one of my favorite films. No serious contest.

Ditto for the second match. Anguish is so enjoyably creative and memorable, and I love Zelda Rubinstein and Michael Lerner as actors. I also love Tony Shalhoub and Matthew Lillard as actors, but the film they're in is such a strong example of style over substance, whereas Anguish has both in high measure. My vote goes to Bigas Luna's only horror film.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Skinamarink vs Pulse is definitely a clash of titans in the horror subgenre of "it's more about what might happen"

Fortunately my head is full of things that might happen

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m gonna be the outlier again because neither Pulse nor Skinamarink did anything for me except make me sleepy.

Skinamarink had a kind of interesting idea and I liked some of the tricks early on but it’s incredibly slow and I grew very frustrated with the camera tricks and pacing and narrative that really just felt like it was intended to be unclear as a means to an end. Ultimately the thing didn’t feel at all like a kids nightmare to me. I thought it just wouldn’t resonate with me because I was a latchkey kid who grew up in the city so being freaked out by being alone and it being quiet is something I only experienced as an adult. But ultimately the movie just felt less like it was born out of childhood fears as the setup felt like it was and was just a bizarre bit of weirdness conceived of by an adult. The ultimate horror elements don’t even feel like they’d be any different if it was an adult. I just really didn’t like this film.

And it’s my three Kurosawa film in a couple of weeks and 6th overall and I don’t think I like any of his films. I was hoping Pulse would be different since people are so high on it but I just found it cold and shallow and dull. I didn’t feel fear, dread, or sadness. Maybe it would have hit differently 20 years ago when the theme of the internet isolating people might have felt more fresh but I dunno. It just feels like Kurosawa’s style is to build loneliness through a very cold, isolated vibe and I get that and it obviously really works for some. But I never engaged with it at all and just fell asleep. It did help me get some rest during a bad insomnia spell so there is that.

So I haven’t gotten to Seventh Victim yet but it’s got this vote to lose for me. I saw it a few years ago but don’t remember it much but I dig Lewton so I’m guessing it will give me more than I got from the other two. I’m also guessing I’ll be the only vote that goes that way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

drat Anguish was super good. Can't believe I had never heard of it

Boy oh boy did this movie deliver for me. I'd crown this the king of the round, honestly. Go in blind, folks!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 17, 2024

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I actually had time to watch the four I hadn't already seen, so this was a good week!

Pulse > The Seventh Victim > Skinamarink

Anguish > Thir13en Ghosts

Thir13en Ghosts is the only one I'd describe as not great and each matchup had a clear favorite for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was Saturday. I forgot. There’s still some time left to watch movies and vote. Less than when I usually make this post. I guess about 28 hours now? Man that sounds like nothing. But I have writeups and two movies to watch so better make it work.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Feb 19th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
Elvira's 16 Seed Play In: Team Drowning in Atmosphere vs. The Return of the Bride of the Remake's Ghost! vs. Undying Love
Elvira's 15 Seed Play In: M. Night Shyamalan vs. Life affirming Austrians vs. Álex de la Iglesia

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yooo what a week of absolute bangers!

13Thirt133nth Ghosts is just amazingly smoothbrained in the best way, with an amazing set and fun SFX. Special mention to the really neat rotating camera shot that starts with Tony Shaloubs family, the fire, the aftermath and then his new sad apartment. Robert Zemeckis produced this movie but it almost felt like he took over the direction for that one scene. Real fun all around, and I’d easily vote for it over many films

Anguish holy poo poo what a movie. Watching this in a movie theatre, especially nowadays as opposed to 1987 would probably kill people.

Without saying anything more, Anguish!

Pulse – you could say this is a prescient movie but really instead of making us all lonely and sad the internet connected us all and made us fight nonstop, which honestly is more hosed up. Still spooky.

Skinamarink I enjoyed much more than expected, but it really is a movie you have to actively work on enjoying. I watched this in two parts, and the first one was definitely spent memorizing the fake movie grain. After the tension of the first jump scare was relieved I paid more attention to the pleasant colours and angles and the mesmerizing sound, and quite enjoyed it. The second jump scare with the telephone was hilarious. People say the movie is too long, but I think it dragging on is the entire point, and if you don’t play on your phone while it is going you’ll actually get the desired effect.

7th Victim is a neat little noir, and Pilates or whatever is horrific enough to count for me here.

Uh, Skinamarink I guess? Pulse is really good but I’ll vote for the more original movie, even if I want many more movies like Pulse but none more like Skinamarink.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Uh, Skinamarink I guess? Pulse is really good but I’ll vote for the more original movie, even if I want many more movies like Pulse but none more like Skinamarink.

You're in luck, there are no other movies like Skinamarink. Except for the YouTube short it's loosely based on, I guess.

I voted Skinamarink and Anguish, and add me to the pile of people that liked every single movie this week.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The beginning of Lost Highway has a bit of the Skinamarink going on. The camera moving around the house with all the dark, cool angles. Then the video tapes of the same thing. I immediately saw the parallels there which is what kept feeding me. Lost Highway diverges from all that when Fred has an episode, though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a definite Lynch quality to all the incredibly simple effects too. Particularly the scene where the toilet is disappearing and reappearing

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I woke up in the middle of the night last week and threw on Skinamarink, which should have been the ideal environment for it, but I didn't really care for it at all. I didn't know it's origin, but halfway through I had the thought that it was basically a youtube SCP/creepy video with higher production values, and found out that is what it is. No real characters or themes, just crafting 'spooky moments'. It was amusing at times but not really funny enough to be comedy, and I was chuckling more times than I was freaked out. [I found the repeated faint sounds of the whimpering dog to be disturbing, until I realized it was coming from outside.] There was just too much artifice on display for it to really get to me.

I was coming in blind to Pulse, and I really enjoyed it. Kind of the opposite of Skinamarink in being a horror with heavy dramatic themes. I think it would've hit much better if I'd seen it when it came out, though. It feels very much of its time.

The Seventh Victim I liked a lot better than I thought I would, but it loses out to Pulse.

As for the other match-up, Thir13een Ghosts felt too by-the-numbers to really be any good, though I won't go so far to say that it was bad. It's just rather light, and I'd rank it the weakest entry of this week. Anguish was genuinely unnerving for me while still settling into something I could call enjoyable; it is also of its time but conversely feels more disturbing to watch nowadays.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 19, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a close one between Pulse and Skinamarink but in the end Kurosawa picks up his first Bracketology win and advances into the Sweet Sixteen. The newer big buzz experimental unique film Skinamarink falls a bit short but hey, at least you did better than Lewton Bus. On the other side its no contest as Anguish absolutely runs over Thirteen Ghosts. Not a super surprise considering how well received Anguish was by so many. Thirteen Ghosts seemed like a crowd pleaser as well but a tough matchup means the end of the like for Bracketology Redux. And it sends Darth’s Team Fresh Styles into the Sweet Sixteen.

Ok, time to say goodbye to Svengoolie and his motley crew and say hello to the legendary Elvira!

Elvira's 15 Seed Play In: M. Night Shyamalan’s The Visit vs. (mod’s Life affirming Austrians) Michael Haneke’s Funny Games (2007) vs. Álex de la Iglesia’s Witching & Bitching

I think you could call this one a battle of three auteurs. Three very different directors with very different but distinctive styles. M. Night is of course the most known of the three and his career has been ups and downs with the polarized opinions of some people finding him very overrated and pretentious and some loving his camp sensibility at any level. The Visit is smack in the middle there as one of his films that led to “comeback” buzz but does it hold up? In our second slot we have Michael Haneke - master of making me feel the need to hide anything sharp. And he draws his most infamous film - or his remake of his most infamous film? This is the english version but it seems to come with the same reputation of a “brilliant” satire of the genre by turning the mirror on its horror audience and showing it some really hosed up poo poo. Or something. You know I’ve never seen it. And last we have Alex de Iglesia - the least known of these three and the guy making his debut in Bracketology but if you’ve seen one or more of his films you know they’re loving insane. And this odd witch comedy thing seems to lean as hard into that as any of his films I know of. Night and Haneke are a combined 0-5 in Bracketology so someone’s gonna secure their first win this week. The question is which flavor of hosed up will win out?

The Visit is available for streaming on Max and Cinemax.
Funny Games is out there and available upon request.
Witching & Bitching is available for streaming on AMC+ and TubiTV.

Elvira's 16 Seed Play In: (Darth’s Team Drowning in Atmosphere) Rodrigo Gudiño’s The Breach vs. (twernt’s The Return of the Bride of the Remake's Ghost!) Kimberly Pierce’s Carrie vs. (Kangra’s Undying Love) Ben & Chris Blaine’s Nina Forever

Ok so I forgot to write this one and its been days since i read the reviews and I have no idea what to say. My bad. I don’t even really know what The Breach is. What we have here is three teams and three first time directors, a bit of a complete flip from the other matchup. A quirky horror romance in Nina Forever, a much maligned but pretty solid remake in Carrie, and… whatever the hell The Breach is. Seriously, I don’t remember. I’m sorry. Its been a long week. But we got three movies to watch and one of them is gonna send a team into the Field of 64. And that’s what’s really important.

The Breach is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, Pluto, and TubiTV.
Carrie is available for streaming on Max, Paramount+, and Roku.
Nina Forever is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, Cineverse, Black Matter, Freevee, Fubo, MidnightPulp, Plex, Roku. Tubi, and Vudu.

That’s our week. Sorry at the poor write-ups. I completely forgot to finish them until this morning and I just had no creative energy or whatever. But we have the movies, we have the matchups, lots of stuff to choose from this week. Or maybe not watch if you’re not into remakes or soul crushing infamous torture movies. Then back here next week when we go back to the 1st round 4 movie setup.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Feb 26th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
4. Ladies Night vs. 13. Lloyd Kaufman
5. The Enemies of Horror vs. 12. Dansk Buds

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Definitely voting The Visit over my own team. Visit made me realize how much of a genius M.N.S. really is, but I'm also pissed that I did not actually update my Austrian team with all the new movies I dug up over the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Witching & Bitching, like most stuff by Alex de la Iglesia, absolutely fuckin whips

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really need to watch his flicks, I hear good things anytime he comes up

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Despite dragging in the middle, I used to show college friends Witching and Bitching all the time. The first and last acts really are that fun.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It just sounds so baaad

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Funny Games won't be for everyone. Goat I know you're going to hate it and I hope you let yourself skip it if you don't feel up for it! I am looking forward to revisiting The Visit and will try not to let the title of Witching and Bitching impact my perception of it.

For the other match-up I've only see that Carrie remake and it's pretty forgettable. A friend of mine worked on The Breach and I've been meaning to watch it, I hope it's good!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Berzerker posted:

Funny Games won't be for everyone. Goat I know you're going to hate it and I hope you let yourself skip it if you don't feel up for it! I am looking forward to revisiting The Visit and will try not to let the title of Witching and Bitching impact my perception of it.

For the other match-up I've only see that Carrie remake and it's pretty forgettable. A friend of mine worked on The Breach and I've been meaning to watch it, I hope it's good!

If it’s any consolation, the original title is “Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi” or “The Witches of Zugarramurdi”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always felt like Funny Games was trying a little too hard to be clever. I don't really enjoy being hit over the head with the message like that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The problem with Funny Games is that Haneke fundamentally misunderstands what attracts most people to horror movies, so he's shoving your nose in it saying "Is this what you people want?" But he's too pompous to realize that his entire filmography is just making the same brand of misery porn he accuses mainstream horror of committing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

The problem with Funny Games is that Haneke fundamentally misunderstands what attracts most people to horror movies, so he's shoving your nose in it saying "Is this what you people want?" But he's too pompous to realize that his entire filmography is just making the same brand of misery porn he accuses mainstream horror of committing.

It's pretty funny how much Haneke ruins his own movies for me by being such an rear end in a top hat. I like Funny Games but seeing his quotes on why he made it makes me not want to!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I had to cave and went back to see what his intentions were. Being a troll is one thing, it's why services like YouTube exist. Put out a 10 minute short or something. But being a blatant rear end in a top hat about it and pushing nearly 2 hours? gently caress you. I am surprised anyone actually funded him to do something like that, let alone a second time. Art comes in all forms, but standing in line like for the Mona Lisa, to have the reveal that it's a pen drawing of dickbutt or something? Mehhhh. Clever, but it's still poo poo.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean it was 1997, so I do think you could say that what he was doing was a bit fresher and more interesting then it may seem when you watch it today. As opposed to the remake with yea, was totally unnecessary and pointless.