Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I am re-nominating Steve's Monster Blockbusters. This thing needs some popcorn blockbusters to mix things up a little bit.

Also a heads up, I will NOT be re-nominating Tales From the Necronomicon, therefore Sam Raimi, Stuart Gordon, and Michele Soavi will be up for grabs. Of course, they all have somewhat limited selections left, but there's some good stuff still to be had(Soavi still has The Church, Raimi has Evil Dead)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Always Back The Drac

John Badham - Dracula(1979)
Francis Ford Coppola - Bram Stoker's Dracula
George Melford - Dracula(1931)
Werner Herzog - Nosferatu The Vampyre
Mel Brooks - Dracula Dead and Loving It, Young Frankenstein

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

I got Coppola’s Dracula on my Corman team but this is a great idea, if anyone has a Corman protege to replace him I’ll switch

In the meantime I'll dig around and see if there's another Drac director I can use. There's a seemingly neverending well of Drac to draw from.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dang now that one I thought I'd checked the spreadsheet for, not sure how I missed it. I do recall now that it was picked.

I'll post a reworked Drac team tomorrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Always Back The Drac

John Badham - Dracula(1979)
George Melford - Dracula(1931)
Édouard Molinaro - Dracula and Son(1976)
Mel Brooks - Dracula Dead and Loving It(1995), Young Frankenstein(1974)
Paul Landres - The Return of Dracula(1958), The Vampire(1957)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Generally when the question is "should we throw Patrick Wilson in there?" it's gonna be a unanimous Yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters

Nathan Juran - 20 Million Miles to Earth, The Brain from Planet Arous, The Deadly Mantis, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, The Boy Who Cried Werewolf
Peter Hymans - The Relic
John Wright - Grabbers
Ron Underwood - Tremors
John Frankenheimer - Prophecy

*Wright directed a low budget horror called Tormented and Frankenheimer directed The Island of Dr. Moreau, not sure if you want to include those. I'm not sure how accessible Tormented is and The Island of Dr. Moreau's horror status is debatable, plus Frankenheimer took over for Richard Stanley partway through production.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Monsters, Monsters, and More Monsters

Nathan Juran - 20 Million Miles to Earth, The Brain from Planet Arous, The Deadly Mantis, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, The Boy Who Cried Werewolf
Peter Hymans - The Relic
John Wright - Grabbers
Ron Underwood - Tremors
John Frankenheimer - Prophecy

*Wright directed a low budget horror called Tormented and Frankenheimer directed The Island of Dr. Moreau, not sure if you want to include those. I'm not sure how accessible Tormented is and The Island of Dr. Moreau's horror status is debatable, plus Frankenheimer took over for Richard Stanley partway through production.

Was there an issue with this team I posted earlier? Just noticed that it hadn't made it onto the spreadsheet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll consider whether or not to accept your apology

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, yea ok we'll just take Hyams out then. I was mostly just surprised that Tremors was still available.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has nobody renominated Terence Fisher yet? He hasn't run out of movies yet has he? If not I nominate Terence Fisher.

Also, for my BYE, I am selecting STAC's The Magical Muppet Wizardry of Jim Henson and Friends. The additions that have been made to this team are way too good and I don't want to risk them not making the cut.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dead Heat is definitely a lot of fun but it's not some sort of perfect masterpiece or anything. I'd probably vote for it over Tales From the Crypt but with another film in the mix who knows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Tormented went a bit harder than I expected it to in the gore department. It's not the sort of thing I usually end up voting for though, so we'll see. I'll probably end up voting for anime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Blair Witch but my vote is definitely still up in the air on that one. Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting actually sounds like something I might like.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty wild that Milligan died in complete poverty, buried in an unmarked grave, and now they're selling collectors edition blu ray box sets of his stuff for like $100 a pop.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Babysitters Guide to Monster Hunting, I'm strongly considering voting for it. It's just a very colorful, fun little movie and Blair Witch.....is not that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nightmare vs. Event Horizon is weird because if I just go by which movie I enjoy watching more, the answer is actually Event Horizon. But Nightmare on Elm Street gets so much credit for how fresh and innovative it was in it's time, that really swings it in the other direction for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually have Event Horizon on UHD, I love when bracketology gives me the excuse to rewatch stuff in my collection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Really torn on this Event Horizon/NOES thing. I rewatched Event Horizon and I just love the look of that movie, the whole "haunted cathedral in outer space" aesthetic is so good.

It's an interesting debate because Event Horizon is a very slick, extremely well acted, creative and stylish blockbuster type film. So in terms of overall production value it destroys NOES, but of course NOES has that innovation factor and overall impact that is hard to ignore. Event Horizon is a somewhat forgotten cult classic, NOES is one of the most important horror films of all time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey, 20 votes this past week, sweet. You think posting in the general horror thread had an effect?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For every time a director draws a great iconic film there's another time where a director draws a crappy made-for-TV movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a bunch of real life stuff interfering this week so I didn't get my vote in until just now.

You know it's funny, when I first saw Frankenstein years ago, I really wasn't a fan of DeNiro's performance. I thought it was way too in-line with the typical DeNiro persona and I had a hard time really seeing anything other than DeNiro and his chin making his DeNiro faces. But I've watched the movie several times since then and his performance has really grown on me a lot. It's actually pretty complex and one thing that you know DeNiro can bring to a role is barely contained rage, which I think is a more nuanced take than a lot of the more classic Frankensteins. Like, you'll often get the more innocent pitiable Frankenstein, or sometimes you get the full-on rage monster, but DeNiro gives you the conflict between those two sides and shows you that struggle in a way that I have gained an appreciation for over the past several years since I've owned the movie and rewatched it a few times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really do enjoy 80s adult anime like Wicked City, but man they all seem to have like those two or three scenes where you really wish they just wouldn't go there. Wicked City is no exception, but it had some genuinely creepy stuff and some great designs and ideas for the demons. I did enjoy it overall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I love Ninja Scroll and used to regularly get high and watch it in my college dorm room, but even Ninja Scroll has some stuff that I'd probably want to warn someone about if I was recommending it to them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I voted Bedlam just because the team is more my thing overall and I always have a hard time voting against Karloff no matter the circumstances.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of scenarios where I'd absolutely vote against The Innkeepers. I've never been a much of a fan, for me House of the Devil was a lot better. In particular I don't think The Innkeepers has a satisfying ending, it's a slow burn with almost no payoff. It's well shot and well made overall though, which is why I'm forced to vote for it in this matchup.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well I guess I'm finally gonna watch Skinamarink!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thir13en Ghosts gets a lot of mileage out of that set design, but in the end I do feel like those early 2000s aesthetics drag it down somewhat. In particular I'm talking about how they handle the ghosts, with all of the quick cutting and strobe lights and basically just doing everything to not really show them for more than a few seconds at a time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always felt like Funny Games was trying a little too hard to be clever. I don't really enjoy being hit over the head with the message like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean it was 1997, so I do think you could say that what he was doing was a bit fresher and more interesting then it may seem when you watch it today. As opposed to the remake with yea, was totally unnecessary and pointless.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely voting Fresh, I'm not really a Troma person and I can't remember if I've seen this particular Nukem High movie but I can't imagine it will change my mind. I saw Fresh when it came out and really enjoyed it.

The other one could go either way because Benson & Moorehead are hit or miss for me. Maybe this will be a hit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who would vote against this smooth operator?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I went with Under the Shadow, mainly just because I feel like Miike's had his time in the sun and I want to see more from the Samfucius team.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Errementari is really great. The only complaint I could possibly see being made is that it doesn't go quite crazy enough because the designs and just the whole aesthetic are cool as hell. I watched it for the October Challenge a few years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the main two performances of Willis and Osment are strong enough that even people who've heard about The Sixth Sense and seen parodies of it for years will still be hooked by it. Actor performances can make a film at least somewhat immune to all of the parodies and the memes and whatnot. You don't really experience the power of the movie until you've seen the performances, it's not just a movie all about a twist. And it also has multiple twists, which people tend to forget: the little girl's mother revealed as having poisoned her.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I absolutely love the designs in Erremantari. So good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I voted for Sphere because I'm a Crichton kid and so I'd like to see more from that team. Beneath is fun too though, I fully support creature features with unusual monsters and I wish we got more of them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohhh I definitely am looking forward to The Wasp Woman. How can you go wrong?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I enjoy the pipe smoking and the drawing rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hmmmm so I guess the effects budget for Wasp Woman was like $10(adjusted for inflation, the actual 1959 number was probably like a dollar).

Still enjoyed it.